2013-08-31 23:23:09

Bam bam bitty, bam bam bee, here's a new game online and free.

Crank up your sound for Fields of the Un-Dead!

No donations, no solicitations, no commercial aggravations.

Real-time, real-deal, first person, dual speaker, three D, shoot-em-up.

It's Fields of the Un-Dead.  Load up those shotgun shells.  The moon is out and the dead have risen.

It's online at w w w dot s o u n d a l o n e dot com.

2013-08-31 23:45:00

Hi, sounds cool, could you give a little more information, like game controls, kinds of weapons?

2013-09-01 00:01:13

Yeah, I can't figure it out heh, I found left click is for firing, but that's it, I tried using the arrow keys to move to left or right, but wasn't working tried using the mouse, and tha  didn't work... says press the red light or something for instructions but I have NFC what that means lol.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2013-09-01 00:05:31

Hi.
It says, press the letter I for instructions.
So I turn off NVDA press I and... nothing happens.
Hmmm interesting music but if this game isnt working then... not that good.

I'm gone for real :)

2013-09-01 00:45:53

I think, this is a spam.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-09-01 00:56:54 (edited by soundalone 2013-09-01 01:35:57)

Click inside the window to activate the Flash applet.  This will enable the keyboard controls.  During the introductory music, click to hear instructions.  Thanks for your feedback - the game is improved with your feedback.  Enjoy!

2013-09-01 01:34:36

This has been fixed.  Click during the intro to hear instructions.  Click when the game has ended to restart.  Enjoy!

2013-09-01 09:47:14

hi, it's hard to fire because your mouse goe out of the window and you don't know, and i was clicking the left button and it fired sometimes, and other times it just opened the start menu. Other than that, I bet the game works. But without being able to fire, the zombies illed me before I could try.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2013-09-01 10:03:16 (edited by soundalone 2013-09-01 10:44:33)

This has been improved.  The stage now fills the entire window.  You can also run the game in full screen mode.  Whenever you fire or reload your gun, you will hear the location in which you are aiming.  If your mouse pointer travels off the stage, you will hear a clicking alert.  If you try to fire your gun when your mouse pointer is off the stage, you will also hear the clicking alert.  Once you get the hang of aiming, it will become second nature.  Thanks for the feedback - it improves the game.  Enjoy!

2013-09-01 12:07:05

It's an in vain hope, I suppose, but any chance of converting the game into an HTML5 audio application?

Just myself, as usual.

2013-09-01 13:05:49

For people that have issues. On windows, press enter on the embedded object to let the game take focus, then the keys should work. On the mac, if you click the game should also take focus.
My thoughts, it's a cool idea. It would be nice though if it kept score and tolled you how well you did after you die.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2013-09-01 14:11:56 (edited by soundalone 2013-09-01 14:12:18)

Sebby wrote:

It's an in vain hope, I suppose, but any chance of converting the game into an HTML5 audio application?

That would be quick and easy enough to do except that it looks like HTML5 doesn't yet support balance or tone control of sounds, and maybe not even complete multi-channel mixing of sounds, at least not in all major browsers.  When HTML5 is able to do these things, Fields of the Un-Dead can be converted.

2013-09-01 14:14:26 (edited by soundalone 2013-09-01 14:45:33)

pitermach wrote:

It would be nice though if it kept score and tolled you how well you did after you die.

Score keeping has been added.  Thanks for the suggestion.

2013-09-01 23:17:42

I'm unfortunately not having any luck with this at all, I wave my mouse about when the voice says "fields of the undead" but nothing  seems to happen, about the only good clicking the screen does is open internet explorer's menues.

I tried both with hal's flash compatibiity mode (the one used to hit buttons in youtube etc), and without, but neither did much good, though i do know I hit something since when i died, I clicked and the game started again.

Am I missing something about the mouse output here?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-09-02 00:12:06

Dark wrote:

I'm unfortunately not having any luck with this at all, I wave my mouse about when the voice says "fields of the undead" but nothing  seems to happen, about the only good clicking the screen does is open internet explorer's menues.

If you hear the voice saying "fields of the un-dead", you should be in the home stretch.  At least we know that your Internet Explorer recognizes the Flash plug-in and has loaded it.

Before you click your mouse, try moving your mouse down toward the bottom of the screen, below where the menus and toolbars are normally located near the top of a window.  It could be that you're just clicking up in the menus and toolbars of the browser.  If you click down in the page itself, it should activate the Flash plugin and give you control of the applet.  If you click around enough times, you should eventually hear either the sound of a shotgun or the beginning of the recorded instructions.

You may also want to try pressing the Enter key in Internet Explorer like Pitermach suggested.

If all else fails, maybe see if you can find a different browser to try.  In the mean time, we'll keep testing Internet Explorer.  Thanks for the feedback.

2013-09-02 01:15:11

yes, the game works on firefox with NVDA. I have to pres enter on the flash applet and it works fine once I go into focus mode, which is like forms mode, so that the keys pass through.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2013-09-02 09:04:57

Hi.
I've briefly tried this in Safari on my Mac, and found it pretty interesting.
I could get focus without any issues by first pressing VO command f5 to move the mouse to Voiceovers location, and then press VO shift space to click inside the window. I didn't heard any recorded instructions though, but the game just started.
I was afraid to click outside my Safari window, which thankfully didn't happpened.
@Soundalone: Just to make sure: Do you know we are blind and are not able to see the mouse pointer on the screen? That's the reason for most of us are having trouble. I didn't clicked outside the Safari window mainly because of my trackpad on my laptop, because I can easily feel when my finger moves outside the trackpad. But if I was using a normal mouse, I would have messed something up for sure. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-09-02 13:09:46

Just to clarify, it looks like accessible HTML apps work best in chrome, so this game could be used in that browser. Like the Decent in to Madness game was made as an HTML5 app.
I wish more people could make more HTML 5 games.

2013-09-02 14:40:47

Well I know flash is working since I can run youtube. Following Slj's example I did the same thing, moved dolphin curser to the bit on the page where it says "click here for instructions"  and then rooted the mouse to it with right ctrl delete,however by the time I'd done that I got no einstructions. I heard a gun shot, but as soon as I moved the mouse I was outside the window again and couldn't get back in.

Perhaps this is one occasion when a keyboard interface might be a better bet, ---- after all it worked for gamevial's flash games. Either that, or maybe not tracking mouse position by the pointer which seems to  be the problem.

As regards different brousers I don't unfortunately have a choice, since chrome wasn't particularly accessible last I checked, and firefox  just doesn't work owing to crashing after the first thirty seconds I run it (not to mention being a massive memory hog, really I find firefox a dreadfully over rated waste of space).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-09-02 16:35:51

Dark wrote:

I moved dolphin curser to the bit on the page where it says "click here for instructions"  and then rooted the mouse to it with right ctrl delete,however by the time I'd done that I got no einstructions. I heard a gun shot, but as soon as I moved the mouse I was outside the window again and couldn't get back in.

If you hear the gunshot, you're in.  Just reload the page and click during the introduction to hear the instructions.  Thanks for the feedback.

2013-09-02 16:47:55

SLJ wrote:

I could get focus without any issues by first pressing VO command f5 to move the mouse to Voiceovers location, and then press VO shift space to click inside the window. I didn't hear any recorded instructions though, but the game just started.

If you can operate the game but don't hear any instructions, just reload the page and click during the introduction music.  Thanks for the feedback.

2013-09-02 16:56:03

SLJ wrote:

I didn't click outside the Safari window mainly because of my trackpad on my laptop, because I can easily feel when my finger moves outside the trackpad. But if I was using a normal mouse, I would have messed something up for sure. smile

If you have the ability through hardware or software to use a trackpad or touchpad in absolute mode, where the position of your finger on the pad corresponds directly to the position on the screen, as if it were like a touch screen, that would be perfect for this game.  Thanks for the feedback.

2013-09-04 13:33:00

Hi.

I am having an issue using this game with Safari. So, I load the web page but voiceover says empty html content and I can't click the mouse thing like slj said. Am I doing something wrong? Could it be that the page hasn't loaded yet? Is it because I'm using Safari 5 or something because I'm running Snow Leopard?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2013-09-04 14:33:03

on the mac how do you play it if have a laptop since the trackpad does not have buttons to click? any keyboard control?

2013-09-04 14:38:39

@Chris: Do you have the Flash plug-in installed? If not, get it here.

Just myself, as usual.