2007-02-26 19:49:32

Hello there.

As you can read in the topic a new Top Speed question, there are plans to make a new version of Top Speed, but we're searching for new functions in the game. Our question, post it, and we will try it!

2007-02-26 23:06:55 (edited by Game Man 2007-02-26 23:10:25)

Hi
I have a few suggestions. My first one is that you can have an option for checking your speakers. My second one is that you should make more cars to come with the game. The third suggestion is that you should make it so that instead of just gravel and stuff like that you could also include some ambience sounds like the lake if you were driving near it or have a sound like going over a bridge or something like that.If we were  building our own tracks, maybe we can include some other ambience type sounds.
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-02-27 07:36:48

A speakertest is already in the game, press f1 and you hear a voice from the left speaker.
THe other suggestions are very cool, and we will look for it.

2007-02-27 10:53:06

I agree, some atmospheric sounds in the game would be extremely nice and help to give more feeling to the various trackks. You might considder including both background sounds that would play for the entire track, and specific sounds that played at various points in the course, to let you know a bit more about what your driving past.

You might also considder adding a few more options to the single player game, especially for people (like myself), who have trouble connecting to the various game servers. As Game man said, you could add extra cars and tracks for both the player and the computer opponents, but also perhaps there could be some different competition options rather than just having a single race against the computer such as best of three or best of five, or some competition options such as "The world tour" in which you race on several different tracks and recieve points depending upon how you do, with the winner of the competition being the one with the most points at the end.

I imagine though, those sort of options are a good deal harder to program into the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-27 13:49:27

possibly you could even include your own sound files. for example instead of:
14 0 50000
in the track editor, you could instead go with:
dog.wav 0 50000
that would be kinda cool. y'know, I've actually talked with leonard who is in this forum on skype, and i suggested some things. will just share them with you guys.
I'd absolutely like computers to be able to select the custom cars you made or downloaded. that would rule.
I'd also, like in quake, that you can add computer players to your internet server.
my third suggestion is that you would be able to download the cars that have been enabled on the server, to allow racing with custom cars on multiplayer games. of course this could be very boring, as you could enable a car with a top speed of a couple hundred billion or whatever, but yeah, if you have some cool cars with a decent top speed but not too overpowered, it would be really fun. y'know. my friend just sent me a car with an organ as an engine. it would be really fun to hear the cars driving around you as you race against horses, cars, telephones and organs or whatever at once.
some kind of obsticles or surfaces. like marsh that will bog down your car. not quite sure how you'd avoid that, maybe if there's marsh in the middle of the track, you'd then have to stay away from the middle of the track.
someone else also suggested being able to ride backwards, but I'm not so keen on that myself.
ok, these are my suggestions... if there are some of these suggestions in the next version, this game would really rule in my opinion.

2007-02-27 15:50:55

Hi!
I just want to point to two little bugs in the current game, which should be avoided in future releases:
1. When you skip to the next item in a menu, the sound of the previous item should stop playing.
2. The computer players should take motorcycles too.

And then I wonder what Top Speed is supposed to be? Is it either a funny racing game without any objectives or is it a game like Rail Racer, where you can gather money to purchase new stuff for your car and such things? If you're going to choose the first option (which I guess you will), then I think expanding the custom cars and tracks module would be great.

2007-02-27 20:01:14

oh, and... another bug... if a user in multiplayer chooses a different car, the car won't refresh. that is. i for example choose a firefox, but want to do a thunderbolt instead. i press escape, choose a thunderbolt, and the other players on the server still hear me as the firefox...

2007-02-27 20:25:45

That's no bug, it's just a really cool cheat. The same goes for track selection.

2007-02-27 21:32:01

also, adding to the person who suggested ambience,
i would also like that, but i think also:
entersound=templedoor.wav
when you go by a certain point, it plays this sound.
the example:
0 0 100 entersound=templedoor.wav,
or just 0 0 100 dtempledoor.wav
this way you could have your car warp, enter doors, smash through walls, go to an arcade, whatever.
hey, you could have one:
0 0 100 smashbangwalop.wav where the car smashes through a whole house, and everything around it is destroyed lol. and then jaws says, "oy, your not ment to do that in the game your ment to drive the car!" hehehe.
also, perhaps you could have it so that you can choose the number of players, not by the difficulty only, but when you start a race, it says: enter players and press enter to start the race". you press the dot key to add players, and then press enter when ready. and you can have sapi voices, so that more than 8 can join. so sapi will say: "player 100 has joined the game" if that mayn players join, so perhaps 1 through 8 could be the normal voices and then from 9 onwards sapi.
that's just my ideas. arjan forgot to mention the sapi idea so i mentioned it for him lol.

2007-02-28 09:19:36

hehe yeah i forgot that. I'm not so keen on the whole smashing through wall thing and everything, your yeah meant to drive a car in real auto racing and you want to drive through arcades and stuff? it just makes me laugh lol. i certainly would li ke more then 8 players, but the problem will probably be that if you want 100 players, you'll have 100 different cars driving around. I'm not quite sure if the game or your computer can handle a hundred car sounds... at once.

2007-02-28 10:39:12 (edited by dark empathy 2007-02-28 10:40:53)

I'm not sure, but adding extra players to the race might be difficult. Besides, sinse in Topspeed I believe you can drive infront of people and stop them from passing, 100 players wouldn't be a race, it'd be a traffic jam!

I'm not sure about the hole passing through doors and stuff thing, but I do think it'd be nice to have not only general background sounds, but specific ones playing while you go round the track on the left or right. So, you could have a track set in a seaside town, where you here a general wind effect (and for a typical English Seaside holiday, some rain!), then various sounds on the sides of the track, the sea, an arcade or two, perhaps a brass bandetc.

Using this method you might be able to create some fairly crazy track environments if you wished, though of course they wouldn't have any effect on the actual serious racing aspects of the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-28 18:15:18

I could imagine some modding potential for changing sounds around, some more serious but fun and some just mad:
Sci fi race, maybe Star Trek or something like that
Speedboat racing
Pinball track?!? just a crazy idea I guess

I'm sure people could come up with a lot of other suggestions too.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-01 05:33:02

Hi. I dont know if this is a good idea, but in some tracks, there could be some enemys to shoot while driving. And the best of all, if the enemys are shooting your car, then you'll loose a bit of your speed so you have to puzzle or something like that to get the car to drive faster again. It could also be cool if we could get some extra speed when driving and when we're driving good. Bye

John, the super audio gamer

2007-03-01 07:36:20

I'm not so keen on this idea. it's not like a bunch of bad guys are watching the race and then barrel onto the scene to give 'em cars some bang or something, but who knows.

2007-03-01 07:40:46

yeah it is. TOp SPeed is not a shooter!

2007-03-01 12:45:19 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-01 12:46:00)

while I certainly like the idea of being able to create some crazy sounding tracks, ----- like a Startrek track as Cx2 says, it'd probably be helpful to remember that topspeed 2 is, at rock bottom, a realistic style racing game.

No barrier jumping or door smashing, no shooting enemies, just driving your car along trying to get the best time you can and cross the finishing line first.

Extra variety in terms of sounds, number of players and tracks would certainly be a very good thing imho, I don't think it would be too helpful to change the basics of the game.

anyway! Rale racer is going to include both jumps and shooting at your opponents to decrease their speed, as well as several other scifi style features.

2007-03-03 19:18:35

I think that you could make timed events: Rush hours (after 3 minutes of plays, where cars appear randomly), and such events.

Regards:

tomi

2007-03-04 07:41:52

hmm. that sounds like a really interesting idea.

2007-03-04 14:08:24

hello,

i think there could be people talking as you race and they give you some kind of coment or just having a conversation. this could be done in the street race. where you could run someone over. you know a bit of the GTA style would be great.

2007-03-04 14:22:06

Speaking about GTA, it would be really fun if you could stop, go out of your car, and take another one just during gameplay. That's one of the features that I like to implement in some new game of my own.
But hey, maybe that one fails too, so it would be a good thing for Top Speed!

2007-03-04 19:05:13

Nah, you know how controversial GTA was? We don't need that in audio games right now, especially since there a re a lot of younger players around.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-04 19:39:27

I was thinking of some cool environment, where you could go out of your car, walk around and do things, and go into it again. But that's absolutely not the idea behind Top Speed (and I doubt if there would be any people interested in it).

2007-03-04 23:17:44

Being able to leave your vehicle in an audio game is a good idea, something that has been repeated in many mainstream games. It just wouldn't fit Top Speed, and I feel the GTA style would provoke too much reaction from parents given the already small community of games for the visually impaired. The mainstream games industry can stand that sort of controversy, but the audio games community probably can't. Note I refer to the mainstream as an industry and audio games as a community, these are key differences.

cx2
-----

2007-03-05 13:51:51

i agree... i don't want gta top speed mix, i want true top speed, not a half top speed half gta. it's really about driving your cars in top speed, not about running people over, driving through wall and other weird things like that. we should have an audio game like that, but like cx said, it doesn't really fit top speed.

2007-03-05 14:14:56

As I said I don't think we should have an audio game like GTA. Running people over will be too controversial, and it is not what we need right now. So far the most controversial audio games thus far that I know of are Jim Kitchen's WinSpank and that's hardly anything to worry about, but we do not want a big fuss kicked up right now about what is and isn't appropriate in an audio game. There would likely be too many parents and not enough mature adults involved, and there are far too many children playing audio games too for this to be ethical I feel. Now if GTA were to be adapted this would be another matter entirely, since as I said the mainstream industry can take being rocked. Unfortunately if the audio games community were rocked in this way I feel it may throw a few too many good people oberboard in the process.

Being able to enter/leave vehicles does not necessarily mean GTA style games. The Activision game Battlezone in the late 90's for example allowed you to enter and leave various vehicles so you could switch from a scout to a tank, and had interesting twists like a sniper rifle to take out the driver in an enemy vehicle so that you could commandeer it. Even Tomb Raider 2 I believe had some vehicles you could embark and disembark from such as a jet ski.

cx2
-----