2013-08-12 17:25:48

Yeah, it's no lie. We've decided to release the source code of Top Speed 3 to the world wide web. Feel free to compile, link, change and enjoy!
https://bitbucket.org/playinginthedark/top-speed-3

You need the following to get at least any further.

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2008+: Successfully built with VS 2008 Pro. You might be able to build using an express version

• DirectX SDK august 2007: At least one which contains direct play support. The include and Lib folders need to be in the folder vs_projects/dxsdk

• LibOGG, LibVorbis and LibVorbisStatic libraries available from vorbis.com: I think we used libogg-1.2.0 and libvorbis-1.3.1, not sure whether newer versions work. Both libraries contain include folders, ogg and vorbis respectively. These need to be in the root of vs_projects, f.e. vs_projects/ogg

Steps to build:

1. Make sure you decide between debug or release, *don't* use them both together. The debug comfiguration profiles could be good starting points.

2. Build CommonStatic, and put common.lib into the root of dxcommon.

3. Build DXCommonStatic. Put common.lib and dxcommon.lib into the root of topspeed, rename them to CommonStatic.lib and DXCommonStatic.lib, respectively.

4. Build libogg, libvorbis and libvorbisfile, the static ones please. Those three need to be in the root of topspeed as well, with the prefix lib removed, f.e. ogg_static.lib.

5. You might now be able to build top speed 3 successfully.

Notes:

• We won't give support on building this project. If you don't manage, you won't be skilled enough to make any interesting changes anyway. Please *don't!* contact us with questions or complaints about not being able to build. Feel free to discuss problems and help eachother in this or other topics, though.

• The roots of this code are very old. DirectPlay is discontinued for over 5 years now, and some design choices are very outdated.

• Copyright 2003-2013 Playing in the Dark (http://www.playinginthedark.net)

• This program is distributed under the terms of version 3 of the GNU General Public License

2013-08-12 18:59:04

Hi,
Unfortunately I can't program, but now, I'd like to make a suggestion for those who may try their hand: could we possibly finally see either a championship mode or a tier system? Only trouble is we'll have to modify our vehicle and track files, but I could see something like tier equals 1, tier equals 2, etc, and the idea would be get first, second or third place on easy, second or first on normal, and first on hard, to unlock the next tier of tracks and vehicles at the same time.

2013-08-12 22:08:04

I'd love to see an option where random vehicles would be selected from the custom vehicles list! Anyone think that's possible at all?

2013-08-12 22:20:37

I'd personally wait for someone to build the project before coming up with new suggestions. Please note: The project is very outdated, adding new functions, especially huge ones, require lots of time. It's not a simple python or java project, but complex c++ code. C++ stands for many more code to get something done in comparison to Python or Java.

2013-08-13 02:21:11

Thank you, Leonard, for opening up the source. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

Just myself, as usual.

2013-08-13 09:15:00

Hi.
Wow, I could imagine someone make something cool  out of it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-08-13 20:17:54

Hello,

I think that you decided to make your code free because you don't have enough time anymore to maintin it yourself ? In this case I can just greatly applause your decision. You are, as far as I know, the first one to do that way and it's just the only good solution you can think of, while all others people just say good bye to the community by abandonning their game as is and it finally disappear. It's really the best thing you can do.

I know, you said no help about building, but, do you know if it could be built in some way using MinGW ?

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2013-08-13 21:08:44

I doubt that it can be build with MinGW. It needs the Windows SDK, de DirectX SDK (with static libraries) and it uses MFC.

2013-08-14 08:10:43

For DX it wouldn't be a problem, I have already compiled something using DX8. But never seen any MFC library under MinGW. Shit! Thank you anyway.

Just a though: I don't see anything about the fact that you released TS3 under GPL on your website. I think that would be a good idea to say it somewhere over there, as it would be seen as being more official, especially by the users who don't usually are on this forum.

With the hope that someone will be able to compile it on its own and will have courage to continue development.

Just to say quickly, what I would like to see in a new TS :
- Make your own circuits with whatever ambiance sounds as you wish, set global circuit background sound and possibly multiple sounds in the same segment. This one is the greatest missing feature I think, people like having ambiances even if it basicly doesn't change the gameplay.
- Take bonuses à la mario kart on the circuit and use them against your opponents or to boost yourself: traps, missiles, boosts, invulnerability, etc.
- Put obstacles, static or moving on the circuit, that you must avoid additionnaly to curves
- It would also be interesting to have a meta-server mechanism like SoundRTS, and a way to type in a server address without having to use another utility outside of the game itself. The TS server selector is kind of archaic.

2013-08-14 10:42:59

As you requested, top Speed 3 source is now mentioned on our crappy, old, outdated, accessibility and web standards offending website.

2013-08-14 21:50:33

As you requested, top Speed 3 source is now mentioned on our crappy, old, outdated, accessibility and web standards offending website.

Lol! It's for you actually, not for me. Thank you anyway.

2013-08-16 20:39:45

Hey
I sugest the following features:
1-A built-in car&track creator.
2-Realistic gear shifting up or down.
3-Trap cars. I mean cars coming opposite you to make you crash to them so you can lose your speed.
4-New traks/cars coming if you complete a race.
5-an online track/vehicle shop.
thanks !

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2013-08-16 22:26:23

Wo guys, arn't we jumping the gun a little by giving ideas before someone has even built the source? I agree with lenoard sorry if I spelled your name rong, that we should wait and see if someone does manage to get the game built and make some little changes first before we start throwing around ideas for the features we would like. I have taken a look and it does look complocated to build, hents why i'm holding off as i'm no expert in c++, and c++ requires a lot of code to get some things done. So, I think we should wait before we all start giving ideas out. Not to afend at all, just saying.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-01-01 19:06:02

Hi all,
is there something new about new opensource Top Speed releases?

2014-01-01 19:18:23

I don't think there is. Come on man somebody should take over this, because hte Project was prittey good.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-01-04 19:53:08

I thing, it will be better to completely rewritte the source code to BGT language, but it is a lot of hard work.

2014-01-07 02:26:51 (edited by scotf2012 2014-01-07 02:28:11)

You could probably write a track creator application separate from Top Speed, since it's basically just a bunch of assignments.  Something else to investigate.

Someone mentioned re-writing the application in BGT, I strongly advise against it.  It would break any hope of cross-platform compatibility, not that there was much of any to begin with.

2014-01-07 07:11:50

Well, also the fact that bgt does have its limits. Pluss, games can't just be reritten in a new language.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2014-01-07 09:35:16

Well, it would be cool if someone feels like working on the game again. I don't care about in what language. I just care about if the game works or not. Topspeed isn't cross platform anyway, and will never do so unless the whole thing is rewritten in an other language.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-01-25 08:34:08

I'm going to try and rewrite topspeed in bgt. I don't promise anything, but it's an interresting project.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2014-01-26 02:57:41

That would be pretty cool if it works out. I have a couple of suggestions for improvements myself, but I'll wait until it gets off the ground before voicing them.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-01-28 18:48:10

it'll be cool but you'll have a heck of a time with the network object.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2014-01-29 18:26:25 (edited by paddy 2014-01-29 18:27:10)

What if some features of TopSpeed cannot be included with BGT?
Another question: Can language packs still be submitted? If so, how to do it? I was searching for an E-Mail address to send it to, but didn't find anything.
About the German language packs:
It appears that pack1 has no difference with pack2. What I mean is that they have the same voice overs and there's absolutely no difference between them.
I am currently trying to do a second language pack in German, however, I don't know which software can be used to implement walky talky effects, just like the announcements in the original English version.
Any suggestions on that?

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-01-29 20:39:59 (edited by Gaita 2014 Asturiana 2014-01-29 20:41:21)

yes, and i can create a panamenian spanish pack for TopSpeed 3 for all of you, but, paddy said, I don't know which software can be used to implement walky talky effects, just like the announcements in the original English version to translate in to spanish

see me in my bagpipe or in my email [email protected]. sorry for my bag english and my gaita

2014-02-01 12:23:21

I think Goldwave is a good tool for that, but I didn't find an effect like that. Need to try out soundforge someday, let'S see if they have something like this. How can I actually make ogg-soundfiles?

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.