2013-08-10 00:44:32

Okay, I've only just started on this one, though I believe someone pointed me in the direction of it about five or six years ago.

it's a pretty big game with a lot of locations. The only weerd thing is that the map takes quite some getting used to since you sort of have locations nested in other locations, but if you use the zoom buttons it makes sense. Fighting is also a little odd, since it's automatic, but your character will use their abilities, just remember to retreat or rest and keep checking the stats. Also, be aware that just because you have another tab open such as quests, that doesn't change what's happening in the info tab, so if your fighting results will show up there, --- likewise, if you get a quest, you'll need to switch to the info tab to read about it..

it's supposed to run with firefox but I've run it fine with ie8, the only major issue I had was for some reason my initial account wouldn't let me create a character so I had to make another one, which worked okay. Also, i will warn people pages are complicated, ---- very! complicated! though the only truly irritating thing I've found is quests, since it is possible to reject a quest and the npc will go off in a huff, and those images aren't labled, (I believe accept is the top one).

So, not the easiest game, but I'm giving it a try just on the off chance since the location descriptions and actual lore and info are quite interesting, ---- the second newbie quest was to go and give a vial of blood to a vampire, which was quite nicely described.

And Here is the link or rather, my referal link to the game, but still if anyone fancies I'd appreciate them giving it a click.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-08-10 05:48:22

I know you can choose abilities and targits, but it didn't seem that actually changed the outcome much sinceyour character was intelligent enough to do their own thing.

The only thing which slightly irritates me is the quest accept boxes but I might have a word with the admins regarding that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-08-10 06:40:46

Hi,
That's the thing, I signed up for this a few minutes ago,while the interface is a bit complicated its usable,once you know how stuff works.
I clicked on a few npcs, and one of them was giveing me a quest,but I couldn't find the accept button link or whatever it is supposed to be anywhere. the only clickable thingy I found there was talk to this npcs later without makeing a decision.
And, is there a way to turn off that chat channel thing,or get it out of the way,at least.In the info tab I get all these different channels sending messeges,but if I switch to say,the quest tab,the channel name and the start of their messeges still remains. so that I have to read through a hole lot of bla bla channel and so on,before I can get to the quest info text.
Grryfindore.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2013-08-10 06:42:50

Well I just meant "complex" due to the amount of stuff on the pages, it's true the game itself is rather simmple.

Actually I don't know how long this one would hold my interest either since I'm getting dam sick of auto combat games, but it seems to be the way rpgs are going these days, feeling more like business tickers than actual games.

2013-08-10 11:10:19

Could someone help me with the toon creator? I'm really confused. All I can see  is just a combobox with some elements like race, age, classes and stuff like that.
But Where I can see the race types, classes etc? I focus the cursor on race in the combobox for example, but I can't find these races anywhere.

2013-08-10 12:22:15

when you select a race, it's details will be at the bottom of the screen, ditto with factions and such, you actually need to read the elements on screen outside the boxes.

2013-08-10 12:24:30

Hmm, in this combobox I don't see any types of races, just the category races. The same is ffor faction, classes and all stuff.

2013-08-10 12:33:11

Hi,
stefan, there is a help section which tells you all about the races,classes and their skills. However, when createing a character or whatever you'd like to call it, at the bottum of the page it'll tell you a bit about the race,class,and the faction you have chosen.
I still can't figure out where the accept quest button,link or a clickable element can be found,though...
As for this game, its similar to godwil which also has a iphone app,just in case anyone is interested. you aren't actually supposed to spend loads of time in this game, the way it gos is you equip the character and let it do its thing.
Although, this game has a bit more to do when it comes to characters and such,while in godwil you just create a character,and watch it go on quests ,adventures etc
Grryfindore.

Follow me on twitter

2013-08-10 14:02:25

@bladestorm, you actually preempted me very much here, since those are exactly my problems with the game thus far.

When I said "simple" I meant mostly the fact that there is no real need to say navigate on a grid or choose actions, and that combat is automatic. To be honest I'll have a mess with the game, but I don't see myself playing it long term since I really miss games with actual real combat where you really have to attack things, indeed thiss modern trend of having games that function more and more automatically is really not one I like.

At least however if access for silver sword is fixed that's one game which is totally different, since there you have a full set of characters to choose actions, attacks and ranks for.

2013-08-10 14:22:02

OK, I just try It and It's a very well! Head down, but this countains things, which are not accessible, much graphics. This game is also this thing very playable.

Thanks, Dark.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-08-10 14:26:20

No, the game isn't %100 accessible thanks to the unlabled graphics, though I have notified the developers, albeit it is playable for what it is.

Btw, I can't take credit entirely for this one, since I believe bladestorm or possibly someone else informed me of it quite a long timer ago, I just never really checked the thing out seriously back then.

2013-08-10 19:00:00

I believe I'm the one who found this game. I believe I got to level 31 and hadn't had any problems with the map. I think someone pointed me to a navigation tool but I have to get back into it to find out what it is.
Hopefully my character still exists... Also, the reason why this game is simple combat wise is because the game is targeted at people who play games on their lunch breaks at work.

2013-08-11 00:03:45

Actually bladestorm, my comments about automatic combat weren't just regarding text games but also some graphical rpgs, my brother for instance the other day was complaining about changes to later final fantasy games that made levelling and use of skills much less crucial.

it is certainly true that there still many graphical games around with complex combat systems, however certainly in the world of multiplayer games if they aren't real time action orientated like dark souls or diablo, then turn based combat is considdered pretty retro.

As regards text well yes and no. I've noticed that the demarkation line betwene casual gamers and hardcore is getting more distinct every day, and now there are far more games that just exist as you said for numbers or for social play, while really serious affairs tend to be minority.

I will agree that the view is skewed by viewing online games, since generally much of the serious stuff in rpg terms happens in single player games rather than multiplayer, indeed as I've said before I'd love to see more accessible single player games (one reason why I so much enjoy Kodp, and am looking forward to seeing silversword and startraders become accessible).

I can't speak for monster kingdom, but to be honest haypy monster just didn't give enough for me. Maybe if you can see the images it's a more fun game, but as it was the combat didn't seem too tactical, and there really wasn't much text, certainly not enough to warrent difficulties in playing the thing.

Part of the problem in fact as I've noticed before is that different gaming interests don't combine. Choiceofgames and the like are so wrapped in story they wouldn't considder a tactical combat element, while even the more complex online games like puppet nightmares are so into their cool artwork and tactics that they utterly miss text as a medium, despite the fact that there are! people who appreciate it (even if a minority among social gamers).

Franky it's considdering this situation that really makes me want to sit down and learn enough programming to actually create a semi decent game! big_smile.

2013-08-11 02:03:19

Hi all,
So I was talking in chat, and remembered a few things. The all-to important /goto command. Type /goto <Place> in chat to just instantly go there. Also, go to options near the top and enable the QuestPlaceLinks plugin there by checking it's checkbox, then refresh the page. Then in the quest descriptions you can click on links to places to go to them.
I'm doing boring delivery postmaster quests now since I guess I'm too low level at the moment to continue the story right now. BTW I haven't played so long and forgot what level I was but I was 16, now 17.

2013-08-11 09:10:49

Ah, didn't realize there was a chat command.

I've contacted the admins, and they said apparently lables for the map will be added to the todo list, which will help a lot since obviously it's easier to remember  places by name than simply how many unlabled javascript links they are down the page, ditto with quests (though there I have at least found the first option best).

Regarding links for quests it's actually a little weerd, since some of the quests I tried had them, some didn't, but that might be an ie issue if it's a plugin (silly firefox).

To be honest though I find at the moment I actually want something which can support the story a little better. seeing some immersive location and quest text then just waiting to see if my character wins, then  going through  equipment  is juzt  not what I want in a game at the moment, ---- don't know  why I'm just feeling quite dissatisfied.

2013-08-11 17:18:15

Unfortunately there just isn't any browser game that supports it's story these days, apart from Puppet Nightmares and Sryth are the best at that. For humor and things, KoL, Metroplexity, which I'm waiting to get it's huge content update, and Twilight Heroes. I'm not sure of any others. There was this game called something peak but that didn't have much of a story IMHO.

2013-08-11 17:37:22

Well I've tried all of those. Puppet nightmares has the best battle system but I wish things were more immersively described, KoL and it's clones (of which twilight heroes and metroplexity are examples), were nice ideas and even had some tactical combat but I just can't find myself mustering the dayly interest to play.

to be honest I think the problem is basically that I'm looking for a good single player game in brouser games and not finding it, since most brouser games (especially these days), are glorified social networks just about showing off the big numbers.

It's actually a shame nobody can produce a decent single player accessible rpg, --- or indeed something like pokemon, that would be great! no other players, just exploration, story and reasonable combat.

2013-08-11 19:21:44

hi

i have tried this game in the past ... almost 3 or 4 years ago and never understood why it didn't work for me. this day (i signed up yesterday) i figured out how i can enter the main game with my toon.
i agree dark that the lay-out is one you've to play around with before you'll understand were all things are displayed. but slowly, step by step, gesture by gesture ... (does this belong in this catogory?)
tongue

i get familiar with the interface and i quite like the game. i hope i can stick around with it for some time.
thanks for brining it to us. and made it clear ... at least for me ... that it is quite accessible.

and i also hope that someone or you will succeed in contacting the developer to make the unlabled thingies ... wel ... labled.
big_smile

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2013-08-11 21:01:56

hi

the map is also no problem for me.

greetz mike

Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:

2013-08-11 21:21:51

Well the business  with badly lables is at least partly just plane bad web design, though I am quite surprised since usually supernova has been fine with those sorts of things and many games I've tried in the past that had only image links without lables would be fine, I'll try on another machine but if necessary i might contact dolphin since it does seem a little silly.

As to japanese games, well if any actually are translated into english let me know, however the translations I've seen really haven't been great not for actually getting a coherent story or information, one reason why translating from japanese to english is such a full time job.

Perhaps people who actually speak japanese could do this if all these games are so awsome.

2013-08-11 22:05:39

Hi,
I used to think that as well, until someone made that instant translate NVDA addon. No need to alt tab out of the game, it just does it by itself pretty much, you just press control plus nvda plus y and it translates the last bit of text that popped up, enter, and do that again, and it's pretty much instantanious unless the server has a bad day, which can happen sometimes, but it seems to be rather rare.

2013-08-12 06:07:19

Hello there.
I finally give up. Been searching for the accept quest link since yesterday.but no go. sad
Perhaps I should try it in FF,and it may just work. hmm...
At bladestorm, I am interested in trying those out. all that I would need is nvda and that translater addon I guess?
I haven't heard of this addon before  though,so googleing might be in order.
btw,what's the link to the page where these games can be found? I suppose most of them are by diferent developers?
You certainly promote them well.:p
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2013-08-12 10:11:54

Perhaps you could rite some sort of guide on the translation thing, since  when i've tried in the past I've just been quite frustrated withy lots of stuff jabbering in japanese. It also doesn't help that there isn't particularly a coherent way to get information.

I suspect however the reason there are so many rpgs in japanese is more a matter of coding than anything else, since I know from the research I've done in retro gamees is that there are far more scripting options available in japanese, especially for rpgs.
I don't mean game creation programs, I mean specifically designed languages made just to make games, and even more specficially rpgs.

Ruby for instance I know is a form of perl script designed specifically in japan to have a very easy, python like syntax, and  functions to make specific rpg features such as turns, classes etc. I suspect that is the reason, simply more resources  available, ---- heck, look at how many games have been made with Bgt, then imagine that an rpg specific version had been available for years.
Though this does actually raise the point, perhaps if Philip extended bgt to some specific  rpg  functions such as automatically creating a turn based script and functions to track various important numbers and perform dice rolls, we'd see more in english.

@Grryf, the accept and decline links aren't actually links, they're image hotspots. With supernova they show up just underneith the quest text, and accept is the first one, though I suspect they are to one side and supernova is just using columnization.

2013-08-12 12:01:28

hi

@grryffindore

the accept and reject buttons are labled 'graphic clear" or "image clear" the one above is the accept one and the bottom one is the reject one.
please keep in mind that if you want to speak with a npc you're doing best to switch back to the information and chat tap.

how do i this job?

i go to the location were the npc sits wich i have to talk with. when for example my skills tap was opened up i make a link list with jaws and search for the "show information and chat tap" link and open it up before i'll talk with the npc. in the chat screen the whole dialogue will be displayed. and even your travels. from the past to the most recent or the other way round i can't remember. but to get fast to the happenings i search for buttons, i get finally to the chat buttons and the "etc" one is the button closest to the chat screen.

when i see that the npc has given me a quest i go to the "show quest screen" and i make a search for the word "quest" then i see the description of the quest and beneed the first description (when you're also using jaws at least" i find two graphics or images labled clear.

when you're using nvda it could be that the images aren't shown. i don't know. my lack of knowledge about nvda.

when you've more questions let us know and praprobably e can help you out.

hth

greetz mike

2013-08-12 13:36:10

Bladestorm: It would be fantastic if you would create an other Japanese games topic, where you explain how to play all those games. The issue for me and I think everyone else is that we don't know where to find them, don't know much about the NVDA plugin or simply don't know what those games are about. I might feel modevated to play some of those if we could get more information regarding those games.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen