2013-08-12 23:41:36

Some thoughts.  A software company that doesn't recognize that, except in the enterprise world, the $0.99 app model is increasingly eating the market will be itself eaten and spit out within five to ten years.  Even ignoring the free apps that are all over the Android and IOS markets, I'm looking at a world where putting out a GPS solution for $99 caused an outcry ever hacker in Russia could hear, and where a $9.99 app is considered expensive.  In that world, the days of four-figure prices for any software that isn't super-specialized are numbered, and that number isn't huge.

Next.  Tom Ward correctly points out the difference in disservice potential between closed and open architecture baked-in access.  If, Heavens forefend, Apple got lazy, it would be a damned sight harder to disrupt that market than it would on Android or other open markets.  Even Narrator starts out at a huge brand disadvantage, because until recently, it has had the approximate usefulness of lace diapers, and it takes quite a while for that kind of brand disloyalty to be overcome.  There is a thriving, open-source screen reader in the Windows world that has achieved parity with the big boys for the vast majority of users, and actually does better at some things.

On a side note, please let's not call NVDA free.  In the sense that you don't have to pay for it, yes, but I would encourage every primary NVDA user to be contributing at least something, at least once a year.  Given your alternatives, take that $25/year or even $50/year that GW wants you to spend on the useless excrescence of SocialEyes and put it towards the development of something genuinely useful.  Oh yes, that's my review by the way, as a paying customer.

I'm pretty sure that if Google ever decides to give over development of accessibility for Android and Chrome, that someone will take up the flag and carry it onwards with their blessing and assistance, something that you would have a much harder time doing in a closed bubble.  There are trade-offs, certainly right now, Android accessibility for example is about three quarters baked, with some basic tasks such as text editing requiring too much fiddling around, but every iteration does get better, and we're getting new iterations every four months or so.

So poor old GW has stepped in the tar pit, right along with Freedom.  I give them credit for trying innovations that FS hasn't tried, like payment plans and stand-alone apps, but the asteroid is still coming for both of them.

2013-08-13 05:23:04

Not as long as Joke Rehab organizations are still willing to swear by Greedom. And if I know anything about such organizations based on my own experience it'll take Greedom actually closing their doors and discontinuing the Shark before must such organizations admit defeat and consider another company or program as a viable option for their clients.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-08-13 23:01:38

Well, here's the thing with Microsoft.  MSAA's needed an overhaul for years, UIA is buggy by all accountsI've heard, and I can't help but ask if Narrator in windows 8 supports IA2.  Accessibility has become a buzzword these days, at least to some small extent, and Microsoft has the resources to put a team of a few people together.  I may have complaints with Apple, but at least their accessibility API is somewhere near where the average developer works not some major and majorly mysterious set of COM objects.  MSAA can't represent rich text well, and Microsoft's own products manage to fail to expose stuff in some places.  IA2, the most capable accessibility API for windows at least as far as I've seen, wasn't even made by them.  I'll reevaluate my position on Narrator in another 5 years or so, after I see what it becomes.  For now, I'm definitely skeptical.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2013-08-14 00:52:20

Speaking o Narrator, this podcast, may be of interest to ya:
http://htb2.com/2012/10/episode-33-wind … -narrator/

2013-08-14 01:08:24

Now I know I am late on this but I'll just put my 2 cents on the table here. About the facebook client, I totally agree, you shouldn't have to pay for access when facebook is totall free. That's just a rip-off and facebook should force people who release paid clients they pay facebook 30bucks for every copy sold, to encourage them to play fare. And that brings me to say that it isn't worth making chicken nugget paid. I know, it's 15 bucks and a 1 time fee, but, once again! Twitter! Is! Free! For everyone else and we shouldn't have to pay to use it! That's why I just stick with the qube and also chicken nugget has more bugs and all that and the qube is free. And I've never understood the reason why companies greedom science fiction or gw macro make their sr's cost more than a computer! why my computer was 700 dollars, very good deal. So I buy this dell inspiren1545 for 700 bucks and you want to gladly take 1500 bucks out of my account just to make my system talk and me able to use it? Oh, dream on, dream on! I'm switching to nvda it's free and even though they push for donations, you can ignore them or pay a few bucks or in this case Australian dollars so you have to pay them in Australian dollars to donate to them. But it's not like they're forcing you to do it anyway. In my opinion, the screen reader's company's actions are just as bad as death by captcha requesting money for them to solve captchas, seriously they want money just so they can look at images and solve them? No, no no. And that goes to explain my aggravation with at companies. Especially those who write ios apps. They make you pay more, about 20 dollars per app, simply because the amount of blind people is limited and they think if they don't make the price high they won't get the investment back. They can just make it 5 dollars so they'll get more than a handfull of users.

2013-08-14 01:11:33

It has to do with the fact that the blind are a minority.It's a contradiction yes since most of us can't afford the product, but unfortunately that's how it seems to work.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-08-14 01:43:06

Yes that's why I recommend a free sr but only nvda never, I mean never, get thunder.

2013-08-18 14:32:12

I don't want to re-read the Facebook apps ToS again, but I'm pretty sure them charging an anual fee for this app is illegal.

If anyone wants to write a free one, it's really easy. I started on one (I intended to have a visual element to it too to make it more inclusive). It was the visual element and me getting a job that ended up being this app's downfall. C'est la vie.

2013-08-26 12:37:01

Hi.
Well, if people don't like SocialEyes, just don't use it. Why spent that much time on complaining about it? If people just don't talk about it, don't complain about it and don't use it, well, it will slowly die! The reason for it's still up and running is because some people likes it and some people are using it and people also buy it. So, why not just let those who like it use it and stop wasting your time complaining about it? smile
When it comes to Voiceover on the Mac, well, I'm a power user and have been that for a lot of years. I'm doing all my daily tasks on a Mac computer without any issues, and I can work faster on my Mac than on Windows. smile So I don't agree that Voiceover is slow to work with. Well, I don't use advanced text editing which is the only place where Voiceover really lags, and if I ever need it, I still have Windows on a virtual machine. So I have all the great things from both operating systems. What more can I ask for?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-08-26 21:09:24

It's the principle of the thing. Once again people are being forced by reason of blindness to pay for something the rest of the world gets for free. True we can't prevent everybody from buying into it but I'll certainly do my part. As much as I prefer GW over Greedom this is one product of theirs I won't support and will actively discourage so long as the mobile site continues to be a workable option. At least with the Mobile site you aren't limited to one OS the way you are with Social-Eyes. Then of course they offer no free trial of the program beyond a very brief audio tutorial, meaning that in order to try the program for yourself you have to buy it. Then if you don't like it you've just wasted fifty dollars which you can't get back.

2013-08-26 21:55:21

I have a question about this, and pardon me please if it has already been answered. But is this in addition to the price you pay for a full version of Window-Eyes, or for any other GW Micro products? I'm by no means trying to bash GW Micro. I used Vocal-Eyes, the predecessor to Window-Eyes and thought it was an excellent product. In addition, I've used demo copies of Window-Eyes and was very happy with them except for the fact that they were demos and had to be restarted every so often. But I have not used GW Connect or Social-Eyes. I use the Socializer from Serotek and love it, but that's off topic here I think so I'll stop there.

2013-08-27 02:09:42

Well I say the reason we need to complain is so that we can raise attention to people to make free facebook clients and there is no accessible facebook client the qube needs to support fb just like it does twitter and google voice yes, it happens to be a google voice client as wll as a stopwatch. Okay little rant there.

2015-11-23 23:20:52

Well, they did change up their pricing. If you have window eyes, 7.5 or later, it's free to use. Even before that, they changed it to a 25 dollar fee to get a license key. then they made it require that you have window eyes installed, to authorize SocialEyes. Since they made window eyes free for office users, SocialEyes, in theory is free. There's a few reasons why I don't like using facebook in the  web brouser, there's no way to be notified of new messages, comments, or anything else when in the brouser. When you get a notification, it will go to your mobile device, but, if I want to use facebook on my phone, I would open it on my phone, mpt use it like a terminal so I can tell when I get a damn notification. And, just like this forum, I have to constantly refresh the page after a few minutes, to get new notifications. That's annoying.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.