2007-02-11 21:21:38

Hi!

I was wondering how others make their PCs accessible. I know that most Americans work with JAWS and speech, but I guess there's more besides that country.
I'd like to know this because it helps me making choices in the development of a game, such as the structure of the manual.

For example: I'm using Dolphin Hal together with a braille display (which will be upgraded to a shiny new one supporting bluetooth in a few months). On top of that is a Dutch SAPI speech synthesizer, but I don't use that much.

2007-02-12 11:27:02

I'm in Iran as you have seen, and I'm using JFW as well. JFW is the most used screen reader and after that comes Window Eyes, Hal, and etc.

2007-02-12 14:10:22

Yep. I'm also using jaws, version 7.10 to be exact. with a focus braille display and fluent dutch text to speech as speech synthesizer, along with Windows xp.

2007-02-12 16:41:45

parham wrote:

I'm in Iran as you have seen, and I'm using JFW as well. JFW is the most used screen reader and after that comes Window Eyes, Hal, and etc.

... Hal is much better though. smile
However, I'd like to know whether you're using a braille display or not.
Oh Arjan, how about that display you're using? I've to decide which I'll use in a few weeks.

2007-02-12 20:30:14

hmmm... i'm not quite sure if that braille display works with hal; jaws does have special things with this display. you can command some of the keys on hte keyboard with it.

2007-02-12 20:41:36

I can do that with my current braille display. I can even type or play a game without the keyboard.
Hal offers great support for almost all displays.

2007-02-13 08:06:59

In the UK, using JFW 4.51 and no braille.

I tried Hal, but I really got fed up with them changing the key layouts several versions in a row. I now find I can get about far better with Jaws' numpad layout and find the Jaws cursor far more use than the virtual focus. I should note I only used demo versions of Hal, but at the time it was the only access software I had access to before I got Jaws provided when I did a higher education course.

I've also noted at least one person who is a long term Hal user that has been asking about how Jaws is since she seems to be turning a little sour to Hal of late.

We could argue all day as to what the best screen reader is, but frankly as long as you're happy with it then it's the right screen reader for you and I don't give a rodent's posterior what people use as long as it works for them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-13 15:37:12

Well, I don't want to argue about which one is the best. I just want to know who is using what.

For example, you never have to turn of Hal when you start playing a game, but with JAWS/JFW you should do this sometimes.

2007-02-13 18:48:45

i always do it even if it works with jfw on, to make the game go faster.

2007-02-13 18:53:36

There's no need for that with Hal.

2007-02-14 01:14:57

I've only ever had one problem with an audio game not working well with Jaws in "sleep mode" and that was Technoshock, I've also not noticed any performance hit from running like this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-14 02:16:45

Hmmm Cx2, I'm slightly surprised with what you say about Hal's key layout, sinse unless your using a laptop, Just about all of Hal's keys should work through the number pad.

though with keys, a large part of it is what your used to. When I got my desktop Pc last year, I actually stil used Hal's function key set for quite a while, sinse having only had laptops before that was what I was used to. however, deactivating the keys whenever I wanted to play an audiogame became a pest so i just adapted myself to the numberpad instead.

As you've probably gathered by now, I'm using Hal (Hal v6.53 as it happens). I don't have a braille display, and at the moment I'm using the dolphin orphius voice alan (sinse I'm in the Uk, I prefer an English synthesisor), though when I get together the time, cash and general gumption I'd like to buy one of the realspeak voices for reading things like Interactive fiction.

Strangely enough, I tried Jaws but just couldn't get on with it, ----- all those curser modes, and I couldn't seem to find a basic settings panel. But then again, I have used Hal for about twelve years, ----- in fact I've used every single version going right back to 3.1, so I'm well and truly used to the way hal works (virtual focus and all), but as Cx2 said, debating pros and cons of screen readers just isn't a good idea, if it works for you, use it!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-14 02:29:46

It might have been my move from Supernova which the college I went to was using to Hal demo at home, I'm not quite sure, but about the time I was trying this out I think the virtual focus first appeared and the numpad layout seemed to be in a state of flux between versions.

If you did ever want to try Jaws again the controls are all in the menu bar at the top. The most critical ones are under options, with speech controls in the voices submenu. But as we agree you are entirely fre to use whatever you like.

cx2
-----

2007-02-14 09:57:49

Well, there's an option to change your keyboard layout and every hotkey that is used.

I just like Hal because you don't have to navigate through menus. The only drawback is that almost every key that you can think of is used by Hal, but that's easy to change.

But I didn't post this topic for screenreader discussion purposes, so we'd better stop that. smile

2007-02-14 20:26:24

Well I don't use any braille display, as I think it greatly decreases my reading speed sometimes, and for an unknown (and maybe strange) reason, my fingertips would get sore after working a while with a braille display.

2007-02-15 00:03:15

cx2, that sounds like the shift from Hal version 4 to version 5. Hal V5 was an almost total rewrite, with many, many added features for net navigation. the only major change I remember in the laptop function key settings was F2 changing from read line to find in Vf mode, with F5 being read line. It took a litle getting used to, but wasn't too much hassle after a week or so.

I've tried braille displays, but sinse the one I was trying was only 40 cell, it did take a while to read things. Also, at that time I updated Orphius, so reading with speech wasn't quite as much of a torment. Reading people like Nietzsche, Satre and Kierkegaard with synthetic dave was rather murderous!

I'd stil like to change my voice though, sinse i now do lots of reading on the net, and something like the works of H.P. lovecraft just doesn't sound right, even using Alan.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-20 01:21:25

I am running JFW8.0 in the US. Using Windows XP and going to get Vista when fs upgrades. I also use a pm display with my jfw. It works perfect.
Tristan

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-02-20 09:51:02

I'll hazard to say that I don't know of any reason, based purely on features etc, to bother moving to Vista. It will be less secure until microsoft have patched it for at least the best part of a year, and will likely have backwards compatibility issues. I also don't believe it has anything of much use beyond that which is already in XP.

cx2
-----

2007-02-20 10:28:21

A service pack for Windows Vista will be released this year. However, I guess the common screenreaders won't work properly with Vista (Hal even gets stuck on the Windows XP interface).

2007-02-20 11:14:43

Hmmmm? I've never noticed hal having any trouble with windows Xp, provided that you've got windows configured optimally for Hal ----- having windows classic menues etc. Check in the "windows settings" section of the configuration menue of Hal's control pannel that all the optimal windows settings are being used.

Of course, if your using a version of Hal below 6, I'm not certain as to how well it works with Xp.

As to windows Vista, last time I spoke to Dolphin they said that Hal version 8 will be geared to work with it, but that probably won't come out until next year anyway. Stil, I'll probably only switch to windows vista when I have to ie, when I run into programs that won't work with Xp which will probably be a very! long time (I've seen new sotware written that stil works with Windows 98).

2007-02-20 11:20:28

That's what i mean, you have to set Windows to the classic interface mode in order to work with Hal.

And about games, I wonder if Windows Vista (and DirectX 10) works with all audiogames.