1 (edited by Victorious 2013-06-09 15:06:56)

Topic: Looking for games/muds to play

At first I thought of posting this in the looking for new muds to play but that has become the nonofficial thread for materia magica discussions so I decided to create a new topic.

Well as the title says, I'm looking for a new game or a mud that will be able to keep me hooked for a while. Mud-wise, Alter aeon was the first mud that I played and I enjoyed my time there immensely but I stopped playing due to a combination of factors. Other muds that I've tried for several weeks are aardwolf, miriani and materia magica but none of them just seem to be able to keep me interested for an extended amount of time.

I'm looking for a mud that is at least moderately active (20+ users online), has good areas and room descriptions, a large world, does not have arcaic equipment saving limitations such as requiring rent to store eq (am surprised so many muds still force you to do that), strategic combat, restricted or no pk, non-enforced RP, and no remort system. I didn't realize how hard it was to find such a mud but have been searching for over a fortnight without much success.

Btw, anyone knows what happened to project bob? I tried to connecting to the mud without success and their site brings me to a generic dreamhost landing page.

I'm also looking for a realtime or turn-based strategy (online/offline) or an rpg game. There are not many of those that I know of and it seems that most of the recent new releases have been of the arcade/sidescroller genre. Tactical battle and Sound RTS are awesome examples of strategy games but both have their limitations.

Thumbs up

Re: Looking for games/muds to play

Hi, miriani can keep you interested if you learn flying and join missions. If you don't partisipate in the chatter channel, then you will hardly have a problem. They will not strand you unless you argued with them or contacted them in a bad way.

hey there,
here are some muds that I play:
Aarchon, 7thplane, 4d is nice too.
aarchonmud.com:7000 for aarchon, 7thplane.net:8888 for 7th plane and I can't seem to remember about 4d

Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe which strives to produce bigger idiots.
    -software engineers' saying
So far the Universe is winning.
    -applications programmers' saying

4 (edited by Victorious 2013-06-09 15:05:04)

@Burak: I didn't really have a good experience with Miriani, running afoul of their stupid naming policies and also their really pathetic attempt at enforced RP which is just an excuse for people to act out their sexual fantasies. I've heard of the admins cracking down on that sort of thing but its not something that I'll go back to anytime in the next year or 2.

@Dhruv: Aarchon requires remorts for advancement beyond level 90. My experience at Aardwolf taught me more than anything else that I don't mix well with muds that requires remorting, I just can't stand to repeat doing the same things 7 times. Same with 4d.

Last I've heard, 7th plane was mostly a grinding mud with lots of crafting options. Are there areas with good descriptions, quests  and npcs to explore? I do get tired faster than usual of grinding without some form of exploration.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm also looking for a mud that doesn't not have arcaic limitations on equipment saving such as rent.

Thumbs up

Discworld had a lot of players on when I played regularly, and it's got everything you mensioned above. New Moon appears to be becoming more popular as well. Discworld has quest walkthroughs on it's website, New Moon definitely does not and a lot of it's quests are pretty obscure.

Unofficial Squaresoft Mud has quite a few players on, but they are complete asses to newbies, if that matters to you at all. It never really did to me since I don't get into the social side of things much, but lets just say they like to throw the words lame and noob around a lot.

Project Bob pretty much just died as far as I can tell. It went stagnant like Alter did for quite a while, and eventually I guess the players just got fed up with the lack of progress and started leaving. In it's later days you could sign on and not see a single player logged in.

That's about all I can think of off hand that don't involve remorts or restarting of some kind. New Moon and discworld allow you to refresh, but it's completely voluntary and is strictly a complete character restart, no bonuses or anything.

I'm not sure what else to tell you for muds. I've been looking for my perfect mud for about as long as I've had a computer and still haven't found one that really keeps me interested.

As for offline tactical games, the only one I know of that I'm sure you haven't played is Arc War, and it's in japanese with no translation. You can get it from MM's site, the same place you get Shadow Line, if you have it somewhere. If not, I'll get you a link later if you want it.

"The enemy has a stronghold over the mind until one surrenders it to God." - Left Behind: The Remnant

6 (edited by Victorious 2013-06-09 15:10:22)

@Bladestorm: Will probably try the Squaresoft mud as it looks interesting and hope that the people are more friendly. What's the Japanese game you mentioned about and can you get a link? Also, does the discworld mud require any discworld knowledge? Have not read that series.

Thumbs up

For the record, I agree with you about Miriani. Unless things have undergone a massive change, last time I played people would just grab you off the landing pads for little or no reason, try to steal your ships just because they could and were generally annoying. And the RP thing is just ridiculous. I enjoyed the mechanics, but other than doing missions over and over and getting new ships, and going out on month long artifacting trips, there really wasn't that much to do after a while. Certainly not worth all the trouble you have to go through to play.

Arc War is a modern military battle game. It's similar to tactical battle in that you don't actually create units, but instead just control them around a map and try to defeat the team of opposing units. In some ways it's not as customizable as tactical battle, like there aren't really any unique units. In others it's more so. There is a mode where you actually build your own team of units and pick a map ot fight on, and you can either build an opposing team for yourself to play, or have it randomized for you if I remember right. There's also some campaign type stuff to do, I ahven't been able to beat the fourth or fifth map though haha.

http://comb.uzusionet.com/games/arkwar_1.27.exe

"The enemy has a stronghold over the mind until one surrenders it to God." - Left Behind: The Remnant

8 (edited by Victorious 2013-06-10 13:03:15)

New moon's wholist looks pretty deserted whenever I check, only player that is on is Players Pious (Idle 48). I usually try to avoid nearly deserted muds as the social interaction aspect does make the mudding experience more enjoyable; indeed, without that I would have stopped playing alter aeon many months sooner.

There aren't that many people too on SquareSoft and it has something similar to a rent system till you reach lvl 100, which just strikes me as being pretty arcaic. I do wish that non-adult muds were more popular;the top 2 muds sorted by userload on mudstats.com are adult muds with an average of over 500+ players onlines in the month.

Thumbs up

Discworld requires no prior knowledge. As for New Moon, that's weird, since it's in the top 20 rankings for mudconnector and there's generally at least a few people on when I check. Maybe you just aren't on at the right times.

As for squaresoft's quit system, no, you don't have to pay rent. It's funny that you call it arcaic though, because there are more muds that use it than muds that don't, especially the RP ones. It only bothers me if you actually have to pay gold to keep your stuff, otherwise, well, it's a simple matter to recall, go one east and one north and type quit, just like recalling on alter. Only difference is you need recall scrolls, but they don't cost very much.

http://www.mozartmud.com/index.html
Mozart Mud may be what you are looking for. I found it like a mixture of alter and Meteria Magica. I didn't get too much into it though. I do wish ConQuest was still up though, that mud was perfect but for the lack of updates IMO... *hint to random people who know python, muds in python rool!*

Thumbs up

Tried MozartMud but couldn't find the inn for renting sad

Thumbs up

Heh, python has nothing to do with having a game like Conquest.  Having a game like conquest has to do with having a good idea and using it.  I keep contemplating starting one like it, but always don't because of time constraints and lack of motivation.  I'd actually maybe use DGD instead, despite the learning curve.
As for muds you might like:
Dark Legacy, project Bob, and Conquest are dead.  These would have been my top three recommendations.
if you are willing to put up with lower playerbase and extreme game complexity, a few of us are enjoying Lost Souls these days.  It is a love it or hate it mud in my opinion, however.
Any of the IRE games, if you like RP.  They're kind of pay to play but not--you can play for free, but most of the top people got to the top by paying tons of money, and doing it without tons of money is difficult.
Your playerbase restriction eliminates half of them.
7th plane is good.  Not much in the way of exploration, but you can do all sorts of crazy stuff.
Icesus is good, but it has some blind accessibility issues.  Since I'm the only blind player who has ever played it at all, and since they basically implemented an entire outworld survey system just because I pointed it out to them, I suspect that if more blind people were playing they'd be inclined to add stuff for us.  I haven't played them in a while, but they've got interesting guilds and such and a large playerbase.
Batmud is playable, if you jump through a few hoops, but i'm not going to go into what those hoops are unless there's interest.  They deserve their own post, or perhaps a mushclient plugin.  Batmud is, in and of itself, not open to implementing stuff for us, however--each wizard works on their own projects, and if you can find one interested in doing it things might get done, but there's no central steering authority that I know of.  It's definitely playable, and you don't have to worry about said issues for the first 20 levels or so, meaning you can try it out, and none of them makes it impossible to play.

My Blog
Twitter: @camlorn38 (Try Chicken Nugget)

Thumbs up

How do you sort games by anything on mud stats.com? IDK, tried going to brows and there doesn't seem to be any search button once you've selected what you want.

Orin

Thumbs up

Mudstats overhauled the interface, and it is now a pain to use.  In addition, it has managed to make NVDA go all weird, something that very, very few web sites can manage.  Press enter on the column headings, typically, going by everything else I've seen and what it used to be.

My Blog

Thumbs up

15 (edited by Victorious 2013-06-12 21:04:20)

That's weird, it works really well with Jaws 14. The aria grid works exactly like normal web tables do, in so far as table navigation commands at least.

Are the iron realms games enforced RP?

Thumbs up

I think it updates the web page with new data, and has flagged that area with live region, but am not really sure; every so often, however, NVDA starts reading all the data from the top.  Jaws has always been worse about picking up dynamic content changes, at least through 13, which is apparently a boon in this case.  I don't know who maintains it or I'd send off an e-mail about it.

My Blog

Thumbs up

Iron Realms games are not just enforced RP, but annoyingly so. They have no out of character channels at all, and you're expected to do things like say, sorry, that was a slip of the tongue, if you make a typo, even on the newbie channel. Even Miriani has an out of character channel now, though it has some pretty heavy enforcement. I did email the developers a while back about making non-rp versions of their games, since I've always been interested in playing them for the mechanics and questing, and I actually got a very positive answer from the president of the company saying there was a good chance they'd put up non-rp servers. But as of yet, nothing has come of it.

Icesus rocks. I mean there's just no other way to put it, it's just cool. I love how in-depth the character generation is, and how they start you with different equipment based on your starting class and various backgrounds. I've only seen one mud that's cooler in terms of background, and that was one that let you actually play through your upbringing instead of just picking choices. Unfortunately I can't remember what that mud was at the moment. I played Icesus a few years back and was able to get into it for a while. Unfortunately it dropped off for me at the point of exploring the wilderness, since I couldn't find any of the dungeons. But I hadn't developed my spacial memory well enough to do any major wilderness wandering back then, so I might give it another go, I was considering it even before this topic came up.

As for the others, is Dark Legacy actually gone or just dead player wise? I was thinking about checking it out again, couldn't get into it before because of the smaug atmosphere but I've been doing some very odd things lately in terms of games, so *shrug.*

My problem with CONQuest was twofold. The admin made a lot of promises he never kept, or at least said a lot of things he never did. And also, I just am not a fan of muds based primarily around crafting. I thought it would be cool based on Moonhaven, the newbie town, but after that it just opens up and becomes directionless.

The last time I tried dark legacy I only saw one other player online so I think that its just empty,and not offline.

Thumbs up

Dark legacy is weird.  It's empty, and the head developer has publicly abandoned it with an agreement to keep the server up.
Conquest crafting sucked.  Crafting based muds, as a rule, suck.  Dark legacy was crafting-based, and didn't.  It's about the crafting system you use, and making players wait 6 hours for an invisible timer to go down is not a good one.  Crafting-based muds can work, but you need an innovative crafting system.  I've had ideas in this area, but it appears none of the running muds do, judging by what they're implementing these days.
I should also take this time to mention that all the high-end IRE skills, all the ones that get you wanting to play for the mechanics, only work on players.
Icesus is cool, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason.  I'm not able to get into many muds anymore, so take that with a very, very big grain of salt.   I should really try it again.

My Blog

Thumbs up

I spent a bit of time yesterday looking at icesus, but I just couldn't get into it.  The main reason is that the mud requires you to quit in a particular place, and does not have a recall command.  Sometimes, I get an urgent phone call, have to do some chores around the house, or real life just happens.  That means I need to leave the game, like, within the next 30 seconds or so, without warning.  Games that do not allow for this are extremely, unbelievably, disrespectful to me as a player.  I am playing your game for fun. It is not my job, full time or otherwise.  I have a life. When life happens, the developers need to allow me to actually tend to the things that impact on my real world survival.  Miriani is the only time I've seen this done right. You shouldn't quit unless you're in your ship and landed. But you can land almost anywhere, and you can usually land within 30 to 60 seconds.  And all you need to do is type 1 or 2 commands.  Requiring me to spend 5 minutes and type over a hundred commands, just to quit, is not OK!  What am I supposed to do, pick up the phone and say, "Sorry perspective employer, I have to call you back in ten minutes because if I quit my text based online game now I'm going to lose everything."

Thumbs up

I agree, generally muds that don't have a recall command or let you quit from anywhere are pretty annoying. There are a surprising number of them, though.

Yeah, I actually did know about the Iron Realms games making you use a lot of skills on players and not mobs. Haha I actually got in trouble for that once. I was playing a druid transformed into an owl, and I wanted to see what the swoop skill looked like, but of course you can't use it on an NPC. So I just found some random sleeping player in the garden of one of the major cities and tore him a new one. I was flying away when one of the city leaders pulled me back, froze me and then banned me from the city. It was amusing. I would hope that'd be one thing they'd fix on the non-RP server, but I doubt it would be, since PVP seems to be highly encouraged on those games.

@bladestorm360: at least some muds just go ahead and tell you that you're not allowed to quit.  That sucks, but what's even worse are the muds that just let you quit, and then drop all your items. 

On another related topic, I kind of dare someone to try this:
http://4liberty.us/bin/races.html

This mud looks to me like it would be so unrelentingly awful that it would go all the way around and become good again.  Based on the front page and race descriptions, this is a...ummm...libertarian Christian mud, where everyone fights against...the evils of capitalism and paper money?  What. 

The Akanites are a race of humans that are unusually tall and are often referred to as
giants.. The Akanites were war-like in nature and conquered lands that benefited them.
The Akanites capital city is called Norringrad.  The Akanites economy is in shambles as
they seem hellbent on using a paper note currency so they can print as much as they think
they need for their society.

And every,. single. other. race. mentions if that race does or does not use paper money, and how this makes them good or evil.  Also, when this mud uses the word race, it doesn't mean a type of creature like a troll, or elf, or whatever.  It means race...as in an actual race of humans.  With a little thought, I'm sure you could figure out what real world race each in-game race represents.  So...now the owners of the game can use game mechanics to encourage racism! Yay!  And I kind of get the uncomfortable feeling that the owner probably does have some views that mainstream people would consider racist.  I can't back that one up though, it's just a hunch.  But I seriously want someone to try this mud.  Is it as terrible as it looks like it might be?  Bonus points for a humorously sarcastic playthrough, if it seems appropriate.

Thumbs up

The reason that I don't play rent/quit in particular places to have your eq saved muds is precisely that, its extremely restrictive. Even if there is a recall command, there are often places that are norecall and if I suddenly need to attend to stuff in real life, I don't want to have to walk out to a recallable place just to have my eq saved especially if its like an endgame area or something. I don't get why something so restrictive is so commonplace in muds.

Thumbs up

It is common because it stops a variety of practices and prevents a variety of newbie problem situations.  It prevents you quitting at a valuable resource and coming back tomorrow to get it; if you've found, say, a vain of unobtanium behind an aggro dragon, you can't just quit out there--you have to go on the adventure of getting it again.  It also prevents you quitting in dangerous places and removes a variety of multiplaying and utility character situations.
Also, games that have had it for a while are balanced for such a system.  Doing something as simple as suddenly removing rent or allowing players to quit wherever will cause...issues.  Specifically which issues depends on the mud.  It isn't something you can just remove.

My Blog

Thumbs up

I get your point, but something that forces you to recall or something or a command that allows you to recall from anywhere and quit, or that autorecalls and quits you when you go linkdead would be nice. That's probably not going to happen though for most muds sad

Thumbs up