2013-06-04 03:59:32

Hi all,

I've created a HTML webaudio port of the Descent Into Madness game released circa-2005 on Windows XP. It's online at:

http://dim.mindtrove.info

Because it uses web audio for all speech, sound, and music, it currently requires Safari or Google Chrome to run. Mobile support is also sketchy at the moment, but I'm working toward getting it running on iOS at least and possibly Android.

The original gameplay is mostly intact. I modified the menu system a bit to make it "flatter" and changed the control scheme in the spatial puzzles a tad to make them a bit more dpad-like. (For example, you press UP to go north in the maze puzzle. You don't pick north from a menu.) I added a visual component that shows the written text for all narrations in the game. I hope this will be useful and possibly more engaging to gamers with some eyesight or full vision. I also improved (imho) the ambient and music tracks at various stages of the game.

And of course, the dreaded save game bug is fixed!

Please let me know if you have any problems, find the game enjoyable, hate what I've done, want to contribute fixes, have suggestions, etc. I believe the web site is reasonably accessible and starting the game isn't too difficult, but I could really use some more feedback from gamers on the ground. (Hint: Turn your screen reader off and use the arrow keys once you start the game.)

Cheers!

2013-06-04 06:27:58

hay! does windows 7 running in xp mode support this?

2013-06-04 07:04:25

hmm. I had click the play link but nothing happen. I using google chroam right now. and has in second post. i'm using windows 7

2013-06-04 08:22:06

Hi.
Nice job. It'll be totally amazing if the game can be played on an iPhone! I'll check it out and let you know what I think.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-06-05 03:17:00

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Yes, the game does take a while to load. It downloads all the sounds up front so that there aren't big gaps when you're playing the game. The sounds are like 16 MB though so hopefully it doesn't take too long to start. I plan to put in a loading sound that comes up right away though, so you know it's doing something at least.

If you have any hints about how to get focus onto the body of the game, I'm all ears. I noticed it was really annoying trying to get the focus to stick on the game using Voiceover on my Mac. Did you try with JAWS? NVDA? Something else?

I'll have a look at that double speech problem. It could be a bug I introduced while trying to fix another one.

2013-06-05 04:03:15

but. do windows 7 can run this?

2013-06-05 04:18:52

okay! can run. but, I had saw an audio walkthrough on blindcooltech webside. but, I click the link it appears a 404 arer. I can't download it. who has it? upload to dropbox. thanks

2013-06-05 07:49:43

hay! I'm stuck at the part. after I go to the piano room and play c mager cord on it. than I go to hall way. and I go to the alivater. after that I go to the study room. I pick up a small key. I examin the recording. than, what should I do. and, please again. I really need that audio walkthrough. thanks for help

2013-06-06 01:41:46

the offline version of the game is nice.
I'm using chrome as expected.
however I complete the game because I know What I'm doing.
I also need help with a puzzle I can't find in the offline version of descent into madness.
how can I help my friend defeat the monsters in the dark?
I can't find a tunnel in the game.
What should I do?
the online version of the game is like the offline version.

2013-06-07 13:32:29

Nick: Your message is a bit confusing.
You wrote:
however I complete the game because I know What I'm doing.
I also need help with a puzzle I can't find in the offline version of descent into madness.
How are you able to complete the game when you need help on completing a puzzle?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-06-07 21:27:28

I complete the puzzle by sound.
When I said I was playing the offline version, I ment the original version of the game from the sounds like fun website.
however the game is downloadable.
I don't know where to go, and how to defeat the monsters in the dark.
I'm fine since I don't need any help with this game accept for one solution.
how can I defeat the monsters in the dark?

2013-06-08 06:22:22

hi. I want to play this game, but when I click the play now nothing happens. I wait how many minutes but again, nothing happens. What should I do?

2013-06-11 06:44:29

Oh thanks for answering my question bladestorm. I'll try to wait untill the game will start.

2013-06-11 07:41:40

I've waited for almost 1 hour, but it didn't start. Why? what happen? I did quit my screen reader.

2013-06-19 04:46:26

bladestorm360 wrote:

Oh wait, I see what Nick is talking about. Actually I was curious about that part too. I was able to complete the game, but you're given a gun to shoot the monsters with, which actually doesn't work. When I was going through the maze, I would encounter a monster, and no matter how many times I hit the space bar, the monster wouldn't die and I would. But there's a path through the maze that gets you around all the monsters. I'm actually wondering if this might be a bug that the gun doesn't work on the monsters.

As for loading time Cristopher, it probably takes 5 minutes or so to load the first time.

Try dodging left or right before firing the gun. The game needs to give a bit more of a hint here.

2013-06-19 04:47:49

faelnar.christopher wrote:

I've waited for almost 1 hour, but it didn't start. Why? what happen? I did quit my screen reader.

Hi Christopher,

Can you tell me a bit about what browser your using and on what system? I'm seeing some errors reported back in the logs about touch events which aren't even used yet on the desktop. I'm wondering if they're coming from your browser and preventing your game from loading.

2013-06-19 04:50:08

bladestorm360 wrote:

I did find at least one bug though. Sometimes after you die, when you try to skip through the intro text to load your game, it starts reading things off twice, and the options don't act as they should. Like, it'll say, move, move. Then if you click on move, it'll say, where do you want to move. And you'll arrow through and it'll say something like, bathroom, move. If you hit enter on that, it brings up the move dialogue again.

bladestorm360,

I haven't been able to reproduce the double speech bug. Does it happen often for you, like every time you die? Or only after you die a couple times without refreshing?

2013-06-20 06:54:21

parente wrote:

Hi Christopher,

Can you tell me a bit about what browser your using and on what system? I'm seeing some errors reported back in the logs about touch events which aren't
even used yet on the desktop. I'm wondering if they're coming from your browser and preventing your game from loading.

Hi Parente. I'm using Google Chrome and windows xp. I think I know what's the problem. Do I need to install the Web Audio API?

2013-06-21 07:22:57

Hey I didn't take a look at the game yet man, but did you use java script to mostly code it or did you use flash to play the sounds? and did you use .html 5 as well? I know some because I am a web programmer as well and I know just enough to build a site and things.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2013-06-21 09:10:56

Working beautifully on OS X Safari.  Thanks.  Very cool.

Just myself, as usual.