2013-06-01 05:43:11

Hello
I was just wondering what the legal requirements on using paid music in games are? Are you aloud to do it, or do you need to use royalty free music? Really not too sure of most copyright law is, that’s why I’m asking here.
Thanks

2013-06-01 09:28:59

As far as I know, it depends upon whether the game is free or not. In a free game, if you stick a copywrite disclaimer to the affect that the music is not your property and your using it not for prophit, it should be alright, which is why people like Jim kitchin use a lot of commercial music and sfx from the simpsons and other places.

If however your creating a commercial game, you'd need to either use podsafe or royalty free music, or buy the rights, especially if it is music from a film or game franchise since people like paramount and lucas arts can get quite nasty about such things.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-06-01 09:51:07

Agreed with Dark. Not sure what the situation is on sound effects (I'd imagine it's pretty similar), but if it's a free project which you are making no cash from, using copyrighted music is okay if you credit it, and keep it hidden to keep it from being distributed. But I am no law expert so even that might be illegal. You'll surely be in trouble if you're caught throwing the stuff out in the open without proper permission... doesn't matter if you intended infringement or not. So they'll surely get you for just putting them up for personal enjoyment... kinda sad it has to be that way but I can understand why they do it.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2013-06-01 11:49:43

Well that’s good, as I am just going to be making free games. What i originally thought was that you could only use royalty free music, not commercial in free projects. But if all I have to do is credit it, and say that I’m not making anything off the game, then I won’t be getting any abusive emails from companies saying that I have broken copyright law.

Thanks For your responses Dark and Raygrote

2013-06-01 13:47:06

When I use copyrighted music in my games, I try to keep it to a 30 second maximum, the amount iTunes and Amazon plays for free when listening to a song.
I also credit the song in my instructions file. I've been doing this for eighteen years and haven't had any complaints from the copyright holders.

2013-06-01 16:05:16

I'm not 100% sure that a copyright disclaimer and the fact that the game's free makes you okay to use copyrighted music in the eyes of the law...I just know that you're very unlikely to have anyone go after you for it.  I say I'm not sure because copyright law is complicated, and almost always counter-intuitive.  For example, I wanted to record some covers of various songs on my Irish pennywhistle - some of which were still under copyright.  While I could just record them for personal enjoyment without any issue, if I was to distribute them (even for free) I would need to pay.  The reason is that this is considered a "public performance," and the right to public performance is reserved by the copyright holder.  Distributing, say, on a CD also gets into issues of mechanical licenses.  I don't know for sure how any of this would translate to audio games.

I know some commercial music folks, including a couple of professors who actually teach on copyright law - if you have any specific concerns I can try to get in touch with them for you.

2013-06-01 18:52:18

So as with a lot of copyright law issues, it sort of comes down to risk vs. reward.  There are all sorts of things you could do and probably get away with that aren't legal, if you want to take that (however small) risk.  If you want to stay within the limits of copyright law, that's another matter.

2013-06-01 19:43:18

everyone summed it up here fairly well.  yeah i also have access to some legal professionals and if you have any specific questions i could help you.  you could pm me or email me, but just post here if you do that so i know to look for it.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2013-06-01 21:17:41

Funny Joseph, since the research I've done is very much the other way around. perform what you like in public for free, though distribution of cds might be bad, then again you can certainly put public performances of popular songs on youtube or the like.

Then again what you can actually do and what the lore says are often different, especially since the corporate idiots even count writing a fanfic as copywrite infringement.

I'd agree with Phil on this one, so long as the game is free and you put that your not the owner of the music you shyould be fine, ---- heck look at all the other free projects that use copywrited music, from Jim kitchin's games to the alteraeon soundpack.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-06-01 22:02:33

Dark - the professor I talked with wasn't sure about Youtube; he said it's new enough that it's all a bit murky.  But he was pretty specific about the fact that rights to perform publicly are held by the copyright holder, and that distributing a copy counts as a public performance.  He did note that if you're performing at a venue that hosts live music, such as a bar, then they'll have taken care of all the licensing, so you're in the clear.

But I'm certainly not going to say "I'm right, you're wrong, nyah nyah."  First, because that'd be obnoxious and that's just not me.  Second, because my own understanding of the information he gave me is far from complete.  And third, because copyright law is changing so constantly - especially with the advent of things like digital streaming.  I think it's safe to say that using something in a free game for a tiny niche audience (which sadly, we are) is a pretty low-risk endeavor, though, whether it's legal or not.  (That is not me condoning any sort of illegal behavior, by the way. tongue)

2013-06-01 22:11:58

But isn't the goal of every audio game developer for their game to be the one-in-a-million that skyrockets this genre out of obscurity and shows the mainstream that games without video can be compelling, engaging, enjoyab,e and even more immersive than video games? (Okay, so I'm being overly dramatic...)  But if that *does* happen, then the odds of someone else noticing your copyright infringement will certainly go up.

As for the Alter Aeon soundpack not giving credit where credit is due...questions of legality aside, that's just plain rude sad

2013-06-02 05:02:52

Interesting discussion. I would have to agree with you Bladestorm, unless someone can make something on par with something like COD, this community won’t be getting a whole lot bigger quickly. Sad but true. It’s good that we have sited devs, such as Aprone, getting us closer and closer to mainstream games. But as has been said still a long way to go. And I kind of doubt that mainstream companies even know what an audio game is, so even if you were going to use copyrighted sounds, then they pretty much have no way of finding out.

2013-06-02 06:10:33

Well, uh.  I'm not a lawyer, but have done some looking in this area.
Technically, this is illegal, sort of.  This isn't actually a copyright concern, it's a permission concern; if you pull the music from something that you have, and that something has a license agreement that you agreed to and that prohibits taking the music from it (99% of them do), you are in violation of the law.  This depends on country.
it gets worse, however.  You are then redistributing it to your users, and this may--again depending on country--mean that all of your users are technically in violation of the law, too.  I doubt a court would actually prosecute all users of the software, but technically I've downloaded copyrighted music-this is known as piracy.  It is unintentional, but it is technically downloading copyrighted and nonfree music, which is--how many times can i use the word--technically illegal.
Finally, I've heard from multiple people that, if a company becomes aware of an infringement like this via any means, they have to look into it or they risk losing the copyright-you aren't as unlikely to be prosecuted as you think you are.  I could take down Mush-z with a few e-mails, most likely.
I wouldn't do this.  Things like fair use and the like might let you use a bit, but it seems like a pretty major risk.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2013-06-02 06:51:40

Nathan, from a legal point of view you have to use royalty free music or pay for permission to use and redistribute the music and sounds in your games. The people who say just credit it, and go ahead and share are not giving you sound legal advice. Sharing music, weather you profit from it or not, is known as piracy in some countries. Of course, sharing music etc depends on your country and the copyright holder's redistribution policy.

However, what you can actually get away with and what the law says are often two different things. For the moment the audio games community is quite small, is virtually unknown outside of this forum and the Audyssey list, so if you use copyrighted music, sounds, whatever the copyright holder is not likely to know. So while it might not technically be legal to do so what they don't know won't hurt them. big_smile

In other cases sometimes the copyright holder doesn't care if you use their content in a non-commercial manner. When I was writing Final Conflict  I contacted Paramount, told them I was writing a game, and what I had to do to license the Star Trek music, sounds, and characters, etc. What they told me as long as I didn't sell the game  I could freely use and redistribute the game to the blind. I thought they were being more than fair and not a lot of copyright holders would be that lax with their copyrights.

Now, when I talked to Lucasfilm LTD. about licensing Star Wars they gave me completely the opposite response. They wanted big money for royalties and when I didn't have the money they wanted they told me under no circumstances was I allowed to use the Star Wars music, sounds, and characters in a game free or otherwise. So it all depends on who you are dealing with and if the copyright holder is a group of selfish, greedy, money grubbing, gits.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2013-06-02 22:34:23

Thomas raises a really good point about copyright issues depending on location - I hadn't even thought about that.  I'm thrilled to hear that Paramount was so easy to work with...and disappointed (though not particularly surprised) to hear about Lucasfilm.

And bladestorm, I know that an audio game getting mainstream attention isn't terribly likely (a guy can dream though, right?)  But even a marginally commercially popular product (let's say Papa Sangre) would be in deep trouble if it used copyrighted material.

2013-06-04 09:43:15

Interesting stuff Tom and Camlorn, I guess I better watch what I release when the time comes. That’s kind of crazy, and just rude that they were asking for big royalties just for you to use a few starwars sounds in a free game. As for Paramount, that’s really good of them, as too many companies are just money hungry these days.

2013-06-04 16:23:36

Just in case someone reading this doesn't know:  only Tward has any legal permission from Paramount.  If you want to use their stuff you, too, must ask.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992