2007-01-21 15:49:41

Hey!

I thought someone on these forums can help me to decide which editor to use for creating my programs. I mean, you've got Visual Studio and Borland, and many freeware tools, but are they accessible?
An example: "Drag and drop a button to your form." How are we going to do such things?

Many thanks in advance,
Davy

2007-01-21 19:22:28

I'm aware that Jaws at least has scripts for visual basic 6 or visual studio depending on which version of Jaws you have. You didn't mention which screen reader you use so I apologise if you aren't using Jaws.

An example in VB though is you press a key combo, it's in the help I think it was control shift B but can't remember for certain, and it lists the controls. Then you pick it and it places it announcing the coordinates so you can position it via keyboard. My memory might be off with the details, but it was something like that.

Anything where you can enter details of form objects such as coordinates in text form is accessible though.

But remember if you are talking about games or other self voicing apps you don't overly need to worry about controls, at least not as far as form controls go.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-21 20:15:36

Well, I'm using Hal... Maybe it's compatible with Visual Studio (2005). And if it's not, I've still two choices:
1. Typ that awfully C++ codes myself.
2. Check out the Allegro-library for creating games.

By the way, are there members here that use something else then Visual Studio?

Bye!
Davy

2007-01-22 11:09:27 (edited by cx2 2007-01-22 11:10:23)

I believe I've heard mention of something called Just Basic, though I'm not quite sure how advanced a game you're looking at so it could be tricky work. I haven't a great deal of experience with it so I can't honestly comment how well suited it is for a more complex game, sorry.

Have you tried
www.blindprogramming.com?
Might be something helpful there.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-22 13:46:53

I've dropped the question in the mailinglist of BlindProgramming.com.

And I've also isntalled Allegro, which is a very cool game development tool! I've only installed it and not looked at the code, but it seems to be just enormous!

2007-01-22 23:53:55

What kind of games are you thinking of developing?  Any plans or designs you would be willing to share with us?

James

2007-01-23 06:52:30

Yeah. That'd make us available to answer you easily and accurately.

2007-01-23 11:57:58

I am thinking about either a racing game or an adventure game (such as Hunter).

2007-01-23 12:55:20

For a racing game, I believe a language like C++, and for a hunting game, VB6 or .net.

2007-01-23 13:05:21

Well, I now started with C++, so I'm going to use that. Although I read that there's only one game developer that uses that (actually I forgot which one smile ).

I really love that Hunter-game, so if I can create something like that it would be cool!

2007-01-23 15:47:33

Another game that I like pretty much is Super Liam. Or in fact I like the recordings by Raul, because I've never played it by myself.

2007-01-23 15:57:21

C++ is a very nice language, the only reason I can think of for people not using it is that it can be a little trickier to learn than VB. I've used both at college and found my thoughts can flow into C++ far better, once you get your head around the ethos.

cx2
-----

2007-01-23 18:26:25

C++ is pretty tricky, and you will have a lot of questions to ask. So you would need to join a googlegroup or somewhere where there are a lot of people familiar with that language.

2007-01-26 18:04:11

Okay, I just figured out how to position sounds in the stereofield and how to move them. I can also adjust the volume, pitch and even loop/reverse them.

Now the only thing I really want to know is: how to create some kind of track where the user can navigate through...

2007-01-26 18:27:20

Hi,
Iuse Autoit to make games. Since it's my first language, i was actually able to make a good game with it. It's a good start if you've never programmed before. However I want to learn VB, since I'm pretty good with autoit.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-01-26 18:41:22

Now I feel like you provided the code for PB-games's Tic Tac Toe... smile

Anyway, I use C++ (which is a very cool language) together with the Allegro gamelibrary (which is even cooler).

But how to create a track... Hmm, I'll try some things with X and Y-positioning this weekend.