2013-05-22 01:37:44

Hi everyone,

The topic asks the question itself.  But I'll explain why I'm asking this.

I've been noticing more and more how slow some people keep their screen reader's rate of speech at, and how inefficient it truly is.

The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm curious about the relation between the rate of speech plus the task at hand that needs to be done (whether it be web-based navigation of unfamiliar sites, adjusting text fonts and such in a document, etc) and the total time it took the person to complete said task or assignment.

My one friend keeps his speech rate at approximately 16%, which to my knowledge is the slowest possible rate fo Jaws.  Now, I started to realize how exactly slow his speech was when we were playing an online game together, and how long it took him to finish his turn.  Initially, I thought he was just scrambling between different windows and such, trying to multi-task.  But, I finally figured out over the phone while playing that it was the slowness of his speech that disabled him from finishing his turn quickly.  I always ask him every time I hear his Jaws, "How can you bare that slow of a screen reader speech rate?"  He just simply responds with, "Because I like it that way."

Now, I haven't just gone out on a wim and assumed that a slow-speaking screen reader means inefficiency with one's work; I experimented with this.

Efficiency = Time
With the slowest possible rate of a speech synthesizer (16%-30%) plus the unfamiliarity of a website = inefficient
With a moderate rate of a speech synthesizer (31%-50%) plus the unfamiliarity of a website = somewhat efficient
With a considerably faster rate of a speech synthesizer (50%-above) plus the unfamiliarity of a website = decently efficient

As you can see, the results increased as the rate increased.  If we look at the familiarity side of a website plus all three above tested speeds, the efficiency increases.  The commonality here is that the faster the speech, the better at working you can be.

Of course, some may keep at slow like that so they can fully understand what they're hearing if they're say, instant messaging or something of that nature, but that's different from working, which is the main idea here.

So, I'm just wondering.  How fast do you keep your screen reader speech rates?
Would you consider increasing your speech if your work load was becoming too much?
Would you do it just because?

This may seem like a waste of time, but it struck me and a buddy of mine awhile back, and a Saturday night a month ago the idea came around, and I decided to test it out.

Let me know what you all think.
big_smile

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2013-05-22 02:17:51

When everything was the good old days, or I mean when Eloquence was the biggest kid on the block, it was fast.

The closest to good old Eloquence is Espeak. But I miss how fast Eloquence could read.

2013-05-22 02:20:59

I also think to now that you mention it that some of these robotic-sounding voices are too hard to understand when you start increasing the speed.

I keep mine at 70%, which is a good speed for me.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-05-22 02:29:11

The very newest versions of Espeak, at least those in NVDA, can go twice as fast as Jaws at the top speed.  I believe the new stand-alone command line version implemented Libsonic as well, and my biggest complaint with orca is that you can't get this functionality there in anything resembling a sane way--my attempt broke the sound system permanently, and I'm not going to use Vinux, sorry.  That, and you can't set intonation/prosity.
I've got 63% with rate boost, and rising.  I used to think 75% with jaws was fast, but not anymore.  I'm just turning it 1% faster every couple days, and I'm doing it because I can.  I switched screen readers and decided that I would do it as part of the whole different (in my opinion better) environment and self-improvement type of thing, and expect to max it out sometime by or in the fall.  I never slow it down--that would defeat the purpose.  This includes books, instant messaging, everything.
I quite literally can't, this isn't the can but doesn't like to can't here, function as slow as Jaws's slowest speed anymore.  I can't function below 50% with jaws, end of story.  People get frustrated with me because I have to turn it up even for simple, quick things when not on my own computer.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2013-05-22 02:36:52 (edited by Ian Reed 2013-05-22 04:28:23)

I use Microsoft Anna at 100% and Vocalizer Daniel for NVDA at 90%.
I think those 2 speeds are actually pretty close as 100% Daniel seems faster than 100% Anna to me.
That's how I generally do web browsing, email, and programming.
When I play Alter Aeon I use Daniel between 90% and 100%.
When I read an email that I really want to enjoy I will sometimes slow Daniel down to 85 or 80.
I will also often go line by line rather than speak all when I am reading technical information or some emails.

I only started using a screen reader in 2009 or 2010.  I think it definitely takes time to adjust to faster speeds but obviously we're not talking a lifetime.

Camlorn, Your speed is inspiring.
Which eSpeak voice do you use?  Can you give any more history or tips about how you've gotten to your current speed?

[Edit]
I think it's important for people to tell which synthesizer they are using when mentioning speeds.
I just did some timing and found that Vocalizer Daniel at 100% is pretty close to Elloquence at 75%.
Which is a good example of how the speech rate percentages do not correlate.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2013-05-22 04:44:21 (edited by musicalman 2013-05-22 04:45:55)

Well, I have been an Eloquence user since the day I learned about how to use a computer. I remember a time when 25 percent was comfortable for me, and 30 was too fast. Nowadays I can't stand anything below 50. Normally I hang around 75 to 80. I slow it down to 60 or so when I'm reading something unfamiliar, especially if it is a longer text. I can understand quite good at 90, and if I concentrate, I can understand 100, but I can't stand the sound of too fast speech. Even if I can understand it, it is unpleasant to listen to above a certain rate. That rate is different for different synths. With Eloquence it's around 95. With E Speak, it's around 20 with rate boost. Above that, it is speaking so fast that consonants are clipped, and the synth sounds sick, especially with Espeak. Eloquence isn't so bad, I just don't see why I really need to go the additional 20 or so percent, since I don't want a synth that speaks so fast that I don't have time to understand the meaning of the words it's saying. I find it interesting that Keynote gold never got mentioned... probably nobody uses it anymore but I still like using it on occasion, since i still have it for the time being, on my M power. I stick to rate 10 or so with that, I can understand it at top speed but I just don't like listening to it since it sounds like it's struggling to speak that fast. So rate 10 is a nice and comfortable speed for me that I don't have to touch, and when I use it, I'm most likely reading something huge. I'd use the braille display for other things since I am a proficient braille reader. Not nearly the best, and probably not even great, but enough to turn the speech off unless I specifically want it.
As for newer synths like Nuance, Ivona, and others... I hate speeding those up because the quality of the voice suffers tromendously, even with 5-10 percent adjustments. Male voices especially dont' sound pleasant sped up. Neospeech is the only modern synth I enjoy having sped up. Back when AT&T natural voices were state of the art, I do remember playing with them a bit, and thought they weren't too bad, but can't really remember it that well. Same goes for talking books; I generally keep the speed at normal, however most daisy players have pretty good speed changing algorithms, so the distortions they introduce aren't nearly as severe as they could be, and listening to sped up books is actually something I don't mind doing if I am pressed for time or if the narator is a 90 year old who reads slower than the slowest of Eloquence users.
I have a few friends who kept Eloquence at its default rate, and I got pretty much the answer as luke did. They say, "I can understand it that way". Then again some sighted people can't even understand Eloquence at that rate. My dad, for instance, had trouble understanding it, and his computer even had expensive speakers... making Eloquence sound like it was playing over a decent theater system.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2013-05-22 04:46:35

Hi.

Well, I tend to keep my voices at around a normal human speaking level, maybe 2 settings above, so slightly faster than human speech, but I do not keep my speech at insanely high rates like some people who use jaws or nvda. I'm talking 400 or 500 words per minute, it boggles me. I can't understand how people understand it when it goes so fast.
Same on the mac, I keep alex around rate 40 or 45 percent. It sounds more natural to me.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2013-05-22 06:15:42

That is a very interesting topic.
I sometimes set Eloquence up to a hundred percent on NVDA to do things I know I am doing and I know what to expect, and it makes things easy to read in some cases.
You see, sometimes I may know what I am doing. For instance, if I want to really skim through text with a rough outline of what it sounds like, I might speed my speech synthesiser as fast as it will

go so it will sound almost gibberish, but there is a little bit of a sense of what it is saying, it is just not direct. When you read using text-to-speech, and you spell a letter one at a time just by hitting the cursor keys, do

you call that reading because you are listening to the individual letters and you are putting them into words? I just find that interesting. I might be able to read through it slowly, or I might be able to convert it into

Braille and read it using text and word prediction because I use that a lot when I do not want to be hit with sudden emotions. I want to let it sink in slowly rather than listen to it barrelling at me with full force.
Even when I have speech at a hundred percent and I read messages I cannot identify what someone said. I have to slow it down to hear what it said, or spell letter by letter and then put it together.
On a side topic, does listening to speech at eight hundred words per minute affect your daily speech rate in general? I noticed that people have a tendency to get used to their spech syntheesiser's fast rate that it affects their regular speech pattern, thus making them hard to understand. Is this true?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-05-22 07:25:05

a few things here.

my parents have commented that how can i listen to my NVDA going that fast.  and you just get used to it.  i used to have jaws on the default setting speed.  and i was pressured by my computer teacher to make it faster.  i found that it was very easy to go faster. i now use eliquence on NVDA at about 75.  if i am reading something or playing a game where i know whats going to be said i might ump it up to 80 or 85, but it usually  stays at 75.  if i am reading something for school like a case in order to make a case brief or a section out of a text book i might slow it down a bit to make sure i'm comprehending everything, but its only down to about 60 or so.

and my parents have commented that i sometimes  speak like my computer, but i don't really believe them. lol big_smile

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2013-05-22 08:29:09

hi,
when i started using a computer back in 2007 and was introduced to jaws, i simply didn't knew that the rate of speech can be increased or decreased, lol.

when my computer teacher pointed that out to me, i experimented a bit trying to keep it around 30. but that was pretty fast for me at that time.

slowly, i adapted myself to the increasing rate of eloquence, and now i work with a rate around 65. no more, no less.

whether its reading a website or a book, playing a game or checking email, it remains the same as it is clear to understand, and getting it more faster leads to confusion at least in my case.

however, now i can't even bear a moment of speech at the slower 15 percent, so much so that it irritates me when i've to install jaws from scratch ever.

as for nvda, i keep it a bit slower.

i also tried experimenting with sappy using jaws, while espeak was ok to comprehend at fast rates, ms marry and mike sounds weird after increasing therate.

regards

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2013-05-22 08:29:12

I'm using the Danish synthesizer Carsten at 100 percent, and elloquence at... Hmm, don\t actually know, but I guess it's around 60. I'd like to speed it up though, when I listen to audio books they play at the highest rate possible - at least if the language is Danish, if it's english it's a bit slower.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2013-05-22 13:54:12

I use Eloquenjce at 85% these days, slowing down on occasion for unfimiliar or important material. It's almost gotten to the point where I cannot stand anyting under 50%, and the default rate of Eloquence in JAWS for me just sounds plain awful. I cano only stand to speedup human SAPI voices so much. After a certain point, they start sounding extremely jerky and clipped.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2013-05-22 14:23:55

Hi guys.

Do you know how can i find out that how many words do i read per minutes? i don't know where of NVDA or jaws to find  that information

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2013-05-22 14:46:03

Well, I doubt you can find that exact info, let's say you read a sentence containing the town name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch... That takes up quite some space, and also takes quite some time to say, and yet it's only one word... smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2013-05-22 14:57:46

Words per minute is usually some kind of average. For instance, the WPM we use as a typing average consists of five characters, not including spaces.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2013-05-22 15:45:10

These days I definitely can't stand anything less than 65% or so. On NVDA    I have Espeak setup to about 75% to 80% on average. When skimming web pages or emails I have Espeak cranked up to about 80%, but for programming I slow it down to say 75% just to make sure I don't overlook something important. If I am using Eloquence with NVDA I can go higher.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2013-05-22 17:56:21

think the interesting thing about this is how it affects speech patterns. Kyle mentioned that he sometimes talks like his computer, which makes others hard to understand. I have that same thing myself because I have set Eloquence of NVDA to around fifty percent, and on some occasions, all the way to a hundred.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-05-22 18:32:57

Well, so far as I can tell, I'm the fastest on this thread.  I wonder if that's actually true.  Since there's interest, I'll tell the secret (well, it's not really that big a deal).
Back in high school, I started playing muds, with an old command line client.  I didn't know about all this fancy sound stuff back then, and thought what I was doing was normal.  Long story short, Jaws was at like 30% or some such, so forget about keeping up.  I got fed up with this obviously, so I came up with a solution.  I'd turn Jaws faster by as much as I could possibly understand every Saturday, and would not turn it slower for *anything*.  Turning it slower to "enjoy" stuff is the biggest mistake people make for improving the speed.  You have to read large bodies of text with it turned to the highest point where you can understand it.  You may have to reread parts.  The more technical and full of big words, the better.  Throw in symbol level most or all, for extra benefit (I recommend most as the everyday punctuation setting, but not for this reason specifically).  The faster it gets, the harder you fight for another few percentage points.  I recommend finding novels and reading those.  I stopped at Jaws 75% for a number of years, switched to NVDA, and decided to keep going.  I didn't expect to get this far this quickly, though I definitely expected to get this far.
I'm on Espeak En-US variant none, but the specific voice shouldn't matter too much.  Pick one that you like.  Some may work better with libsonic, the method used by NVDA for speeding it up above 100%--it's basically overclocking speech, I'm not really sure.  Eloquence starts clicking when I go into rate boost, and the recent versions of the add-on floating around don't seem to have that functionality.  By clicking I mean *really* clicking.  Espeak doesn't have this problem, but it will sometimes stutter if you're on a computer from like 8 years ago when you get this fast.  none of the college computers and stuff that I've run it on have had that problem; it's only that my family uses a computer 5 minutes a day, if that, while at home, so the "family computer" is an epically old laptop (I think it's only 1 or 2 gigs of ram, it's only dual core, it tries to run Vista, you get the picture).  I've got my own, though, so not a problem.
The biggest point I can stress here is, don't ever turn it slower, ever again.  The only exception I allow myself is if i switch from headphones to speakers.  I do everything, including programming, at this rate, and that's what allows me to turn it faster in a few days.  In fact, I'll probably turn it up another percentage point today.  And a side benefit: Espeak will read properly capitalized sentences different than not capitalized sentences, which is a major boon to proofing.
As for affecting my speech patterns, yes, it kind of does.  Do it for long enough, and you will start talking faster.  I could just be a natural fast talker, it's hard to tell.  The truth of the matter is that I talk *really* fast,so...who knows.  That, and I tend to use larger words than those around me.  I think that it's like the rest of the world: we talk like those around us, but the person that talks to us the most is probably the computer.

My Blog

2013-05-22 20:01:12

i said that my parents have commented that i kind of talk like my computer but i don't really think i do.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2013-05-23 01:02:45

Would any of you mind if I use some of what you said in your posts for a little research project I'm doing?  Of course I wanted to ask this before I just went and did it. big_smile

Anyhow, it seems my inference was not at all supported by other users' experiences.  It's pretty clear that many of you do keep your speech at a pretty quick rate, more so than I do.

I suppose my friend is just one of those people that just prefers the slow, very very slow speech.  I don't understand that one bit, but hey, if he gets work done and what nt, who am I to say something about it?

I've been finding more and more that faster rates in my Jaws and NVDA are helping a lot in real world situations.  For example, I couldn't understand a lick of Spanish early in the course of Spanish III I'm taking currently.  Now that I've increased my speech about 15%, it's really a boost in my comprehension for that class, which is great.  I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced that, but I think it's worth noting.

It's also helped me with my speeches in my Composition/Communications class.  I tend to not stutter as much, and to just go through a fact or statistic with an ungodly unpronounceable name.  I'm not sure if that's just natural skill, or if that's from hearing a fairly quick rate of voice, but either way, it's great.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-05-23 01:29:17

Hey Luke,

One other thing to note here is that people who listen at fast speeds are more likely to respond to this post since it's a bit of a bragging right and since fast listeners are more interested in what others are listening at.
While people who listen at slow speeds might avoid posting as they don't want to be called inefficient or slow.
So the sampling might not be very accurate.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2013-05-23 01:37:30

Very good point.

Everyone does work at different speeds, but inefficiency is a term that has near unlimited boundaries.  What I call inefficient, someone else may call fast-paced and runs smoothly for them.

It's just one of those things where it's perception based, and to point out here that I never really declared an issue with having a slower speed, although some may not care to be labeled as such.  So, I can understand where you're coming from.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-05-23 02:15:37

The trick is that you will begin to pronounce using the same rules as your screen reader of choice.  For years, and i mean years, Gui was said like the first bit of the word geese, and I only just found out that sudo is not said pseudo but is, actually, su do.  There's plenty of other examples of this for me personally.  The downside is that you're not necessarily saying things right, but the upside is that you can say them.  That's a big problem for a lot of people.  in addition, you have a good chance of saying it right provided that it is a word from the language of your synthesizer and that you've actually heard the word via your synthesizer.
I have no problem being used in a research paper/project.  One thing you should do, though, before using these numbers: track down as many of the listed synths as possible and compare that way.  Also, recording an audio file of a known passage can be used to find out which are faster at the same percentage setting, and which have a faster max rate.  If you can't do this, get a stopwatch and a short story.

My Blog

2013-05-23 02:23:24

Noted.

I'll cut and edit either Jaws or NVDA reading a narrative of some sort, and use an application that will tell me the time it took.

I've been pronouncing last names incorrectly because I'm use to hearing a screen reader say them.  People always get on me about that because of social media, so I hear the name being said by Jaws and NVDA rather than correctly in person.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-05-23 14:11:11

One other thing to keep in mind is conversion across screenreaders and synths, if you are usng numbes. I do not believe JAWS and NVDA 50% corrolate directly.

Best Regards,
Hayden