2013-05-11 13:52:17

The Kerkerkruip team is very pleased to release version 8 of the interactive fiction roguelike Kerkerkruip! This release brings some major interface changes, including:

* Introductory movies.
* A graphical main menu.
* After you defeat a monster, it will be added to your Rogues Gallery, a collection of trading cards with stats that summarize your history with each enemy.
* Side panels that allow you to see your inventory, status and granted powers at all times.
* A graphical map that is automatically updated as you explore the dungeon.

Of course, that might not be of too much interest to the Audiogames audience! Don't worry: you can also play Kerkerkruip in non-graphical mode if you are using screen reader technology (or a slow computer). The game will ask you for your preference when it is first started.

There are of course also many changes to the game itself:

* Several new rooms: the Hall of Raging Banshees, the Columnated Ruins, the Tungausy Sweat Lodge, the Zen Room, and the rare but powerful Arena of the Fallen.
* New items, including the dagger Giantbane; scrolls of mutation, mapping, and psycholocation; magical guides that allow you to identify scrolls; and the crown of the god-king.
* A new level 4 enemy, the overmind. It is weak, but it strengthens all its allies, and can call them to its aid when endangered.
* Two new combat reactions: rolling (a more dangerous but potentially devastating form of dodging) and blocking (a form of parrying in which you use your concentration for extra defence).
* Blood magic, which allows you to feed your own health to items in order to make them more powerful. Are you willing to take the risk? Of course you are. Are you willing to take it a second time, trading more blood for more power? What about a third time?
* A small but very significant tweak to the combat system: you can now snort ment during fights!
* And many other additions, tweaks and bug fixes.

As always, we hope you'll enjoy the new version! To play Kerkerkruip:

1. Download the zip file http://lilith.cc/~victor/kerkerkruip/Ke … latest.zip , and unzip it in a location of your choice. It contains the game file and a .ini file for Gargoyle.
2. Download the latest version of the Gargoyle interactive fiction interpreter: code.google.com/p/garglk/downloads/list. (Sorry that this is not a clickable link, but the forum won't allow me to post two links...) It is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux!
3. Open the game file Kerkerkruip.gblorb with gargoyle, and you're ready to go.

2013-05-11 14:38:17

Will winglulx still work? that one works with NVDA.

2013-05-11 17:49:19

Awsomeness! Can't wait to download this and check it out!
PS. You have to post at least 5 times, before you can post more links.
Strange way that works, but there ya go. smile

2013-05-12 00:07:42

@ Aaron

Winglulx: can't say I tested it, but I guess it will. If you choose not to use graphics, the graphical stuff won't run, so I don't see why winglulx would stop working.

@ Trenton

Ok, well, I've posted five times now, so there will be no problems in the future. wink

2013-05-15 17:22:35

We've made a minor but significant update of Kerkerkruip 8, which you therefore might want to redownload.

* An optimisation of the windows drawing code makes some of the graphical operations *much* faster. This is especially notable when returning from the map to the main game window.
* Fixed a bug with how the psycholocation scroll worked in non-graphical mode.

Note that due to the nature of the Glulx virtual machine, this will break existing saved games; so if you're in the middle of a game, you might want to finish that first.

Have fun!

The Kerkerkruip team (Victor Gijsbers, Dannii Willis, Erik Temple, Remko van der Pluijm)

2013-05-15 17:36:00

The game sounds awesome. Has the game sounds and stuff like that, even if it doesn't run in the grafical mode? I could imagine that sounds and music would be cool for it.

2013-05-15 18:37:52

No, it currently doesn't have any sound or music. As far as music goes, this is likely to change in the not too distant future.

2013-05-17 02:49:48 (edited by Mord-Sith 2013-05-17 02:55:54)

Victor, is it possable I could get some assistance in getting an RPGish setting working with the extensions in inform7? If I could just figure out how to get the extensions working well, I could probably do an RPG easily.
-edit-
When I mean RPGish, I mean, a combat system, weapons you can pick up with stats, enemies to fight then possably a skills tree, like the one you have in your game. I've tried in the past to get some extensions working with inform7, but, can't figure it out and not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is it possable to be able to alicate skill points and choose feats before you start a game, kind of like DND, maybe? Having a level system could be useful as well. If I can just figure out or get an idea of how to do these, I could make an RPG, probably.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2013-05-17 09:48:55

Wow this is great! I'll deffinately give this a go, and I especially look forward to the fixes regarding scroll identification as well as the new stuff that's been added to the game.

As to winlulx, actually it will, or at least should display graphics, though since most vi players likely won't use the graphic options anyway that probably won't matter, indeed it's possible that the graphics menue at least isn't accessible (it'll depend upon text labeling), but as that's optional it doesn't really make a difference anyway.

It's actually possible that someone here could assist with sfx for the game, since people do tend to have sound archives, so it might be worth asking around or starting a new topic specifically looking for a sound designer.

Btw, and I just updated the db page for Kerkerkruip with the last! versions changes, ---- give me more! work to do why don't you big_smile.

Edit: okay, it's confirmed, yes the graphics do display with winglulx, however they are indeed completely inaccessible with screen readers, still, not to worry.

One thing however, is it possible to turn off the inventory and listing of powers displayed to the sides of the main game window? when reading with a screen reader the main text of the game isn't really distinguished from these so you end up reading descriptions like:

"the entrance hall, the light here is too bright powers for human eyes to see you don't have any" etc.

Since status, inventory etc are free actions checking that information directly during the game isn't going to be a problem, and likely for screen reader users it's better to have the clear interface if at all possible.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-05-17 16:18:13

Dark, yes you can disable the side panels by simply using the command PANELS. smile

2013-05-17 17:21:25

Thanks Danni, that's good to know, I really should've checked the help for that, I sort of assumed that if an option like that existed it'd be in the options menue not in the game  itself,  the moral of this story, is check help sections even when you think you've already read them big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-05-19 05:43:59

It really should be in the options page! I'll see if I can add it.

2013-05-19 09:36:55

Well I've spent some time with the game, and I rather like some of the new items.

Just a couple of questions. Firstly, where do I find an explanation of this blood magic thing mentioned in the updates? I've read several sections of the help menue, but I don't seem to be able to find where that is explained so haven't been able to try it yet.

Secondly, how do I use unguentums on weapons? I've tried rub, apply, use on etc, but nothing seems to work, (and I c&p'd the name of the unguentum just to make sure it was right).

Other than that I'm likineg the game thus far, indeed it's quite significant that I've died three times trying to do in malygris on novice, since it means that the changes make a difference (last time malygris actually killed me himself after I'd gone through all the other monsters in the dungeon, though I suppose I really should've used more ment).

I'm also interested to see what these trading cards and special achievements are like (I do rather like the idea of a romantic ending, and if it involves miranda, I'd be glad since I always feel a little bit bguilty about slaying her), though this does presume your character is male of course, something which up to now I've not actually been certain of.

2013-05-19 13:31:04

Blood magic involves feeding blood to items. This can only be done to certain items, which will explain this when you examine them. So you probably just haven't found any blood magic items yet.

"put unguentum on rapier" should work, but I'll check and see whether we shouldn't be allowing more synonyms. (I thought that some of the ones you mention worked, but I may be mistaken.)

The trading cards are pictures of the monsters built up of out of typographical signs, and they show how many times you've killed and been killed by the enemy.

The romantic ending doesn't involve Miranda, I'm afraid. It's also quite hard and unusual to get it -- more like a secret easter egg than anything else, I'd say. The gender of the player character is determined randomly at the start of the game (you're male 50% of the time, female 50% of the time), but is only shown in a few situations. When you enslave someone using the mindslug's power, for instance, your slave will call you "mister" or "mistress" based on your gender.

But the romantic ending is gender neutral -- we're not making any assumptions about the player character's sexual orientation. smile

2013-05-20 09:52:08

Well now I do feel a bit of a dope for not trying "put" I just assumed that since examining the unguentums told you it could be rubbed on weapons, "rub" or something like it was the verb needed.

I'll see if I find anything to use blood magic on this time, likewise with the trading cards (since even though I've slane several monsters I don't seem to have any, trophies just works in the old way telling me what I've killed), though I was hoping for a little more information on the monsters since the habbits and details of the dayly lives of mind slugs etc could be rather fun to read and make collecting the trading cards an interesting challenge.

I actually really liked the system in Angband (the only roguelike I've found playable due to some very large graphic tyle sets), where the the more you encounter a specific monster over successive games, the more information you get, even over lost games, though admittedly Angband's elemental weakness system can get a little heavy for my taste so that extra info was a bit specific.

Speaking of monsters, now that they seem to be working I really enjoyed the battel against the priests of aight. Perhaps, since two or three of them get used every game  you could considder some more level 1 and 2 monsters to add in to the mix and make things more random, --- maybe for instance a level 2 group enemy made of three or four weaker monsters, or a weak monster with a special effect that caused occasional extra damage, such as a small dragon with a breath attack.

2013-05-20 12:29:34 (edited by curiousdannii 2013-05-20 12:30:29)

The monster cards are only shown in the graphical menu. They don't provide much information, just the number of times you've defeated them and vice versa.

The break down of monsters currently is:
Level 1: 5
Level 2: 5
Level 3: 3
Level 4: 3
Level 5: 1
No level: 9

There are two groups of opponents, and one that calls others to defend itself. If you're getting the same ones over and over you might like to use the "Unlock everything" option.

2013-05-22 00:13:03

Dark, for me "rub unguentum on rapier" and "apply unguentum to rapier" both work. So perhaps there was a spelling mistake after all?

2013-05-22 23:32:33

Sure, it's already there! Just type "panels" to disable the panels.

In the next release, we'll probably make it so that panels do not appear by default when you choose the non-graphical interface.

2013-05-25 13:42:51

Lol Bladestorm, if you read the start of this topic you'll see you did exactly as I did regarding the pannels and had precisely the same issue big_smile.

I'm not sure on the unguentum there Victor, since I copied and pasted the names directly to prevent spelling errors, (sometimes I really miss Eamon's shortened names system), so goodness knows.

I'll try put in future however.

As regards monsters, I've pretty much seen all of the higher level ones but not all of the lower level ones for some odd reason, indeed I believe I've seen more different level 2 monsters than level 1 monsters. Perhaps some more might be fun, especially considdering that during the game you always encounter more lower level than higher level enemies.

2013-05-25 17:06:55

Just to be clear, the enemies currently in Kerkerkruip are:

Level 1: bloodape, Miranda, wisps of pain, swarm of daggers, armadillo
Level 2: Reaper, chain golem, jumping bomb, hound, demon of rage
Level 3: mindslug, minotaur, giant tentacle
Level 4: Bodmall, fanatics of Aite, overmind
Level 5: Malygris

An of course a bunch of levelless creatures: demonic assassin, demonic mistress, Fafhrd, Mouser, aswang, rotting corpse, mummified priest, abyss of the soul, nameless horror.

But of course you are right about having more monsters, and we're definitely planning to provide you with new ones!

2013-05-25 19:22:52

Ah, my mistake I haven't seen more level 2 monsters than one, some of the level 1 monsters I thought were actually two.

in fairness this does mean I haven't quite seen all the monsters yet, but of course more would be appreciated anyway, though i do realize that Kerkerkruip's format with specific levels of creatures in the dungeon does mean there is a natural limit to what you encounter.

2013-05-25 22:53:03

Well bladestorm, as far as forum discussion goes, the general rule of offtopic posting is that so long as someone reading the topic can discover some vague connection betwene your question and the previous post, that's okay, so asking about idols of war isn't a problem, ---- though asking about swamp might be big_smile.

Myself, as I've said before I'd actually be interested in a game which had a degree of the kerkerkruip mechanics, but some aspect of a longer, exploration style affair with discovery of different routes and items, more fights and more randomized layout in a larger dungeon area. The adventure scenarios in Idols of war looked as if they were going in this direction though I'm not sure, and obviously Idols of war did miss a lot of the combat mechanics from kerkerkruip such as special abilities, item and environment effects etc.

Kerkerkruip I love for the combat design, unique items and intensive stratogy, but there's by necessity a limit on exploration simply by virtue of the number of monsters and items in the dungeon.

Another point about Kerkerkruip is that while each item and room is randomized in location and whether it appears in each game, the items and rooms themselves are specific, as are the monsters.

In many roguelikes I know, there is a lot of random environmental generation and environmental effect generation, as well as a degree of random monster generation too, and having these in a descriptive textual form, even if set rooms and bosses were saved for principle locations in the dungeon would be fantastic.

Perhaps something for the future?

Then again, kerkerkruip has had some very unique extentions, so I'll be interested to see where it goes generally.

2013-05-26 10:45:49

Well a class system is an interesting idea for kerkerkruip particularly, though I personally would prefer to keep malygris as the main villain just for the story continuity of the game, ---- after all armed with that magical dagger he has he can always drain strength from warriors or even transform himself into a buffer form to take on wizards.

the only trouble I see with a class system is that Kerkerkruip doesn't really have a standard levelling and experience system the way most games do, ---- well while you increase your stats from fighting monsters, you have to defeat the right! mosnters, indeed fighting a bunch of level 0 enemies will do you no good at all. This means that unless the game was completely redesigned with how you gain powers and increase stats, classes couldn't follow class paths. You couldn't for instance level up your warrior and learn a higher level skill, or get further magical spells for your wizard.

The only way I could imagine classes working is by having different increases given by different monsters to different classes, but even then since you'd still have the problem of which monster to defeat when how much this would actually change the stratogy I am not sure. Plus, given that unlike most roguelikes not all items will appear in Kerkerkruip limiting classes on item use could potentially give you an unwinnable game.

As regards exploration, I've noticed the extra tunnels, but since all monsters are set you are fairly limited in what you find. Myself, I'd love to see something with full exploration where you don't know whether rounding a corner will ram you into a bunch of goblins or a dragon, and where you actually need to go and considder calculated risks of the environment as you fight your way through various monsters.
Exploration would also give more scope to classes, since factors such as detection, ie, whether a monster gets to surprise you and who gets first hit in combat, fleeing (something which is automatic in Kerkerkruip but need not be in other games), trap encounters, self healing, light sources etc could all play a part.

i remember the gathering of gems for stat increases and the adventure scenario in idols of war, that was a nice idea indeed, but again, likely needs a different setting from kerkerkruip, indeed I'd love to see some of the random environmental effects from kerkerkruip in a more randomized dungeon setting.

it's actually a shame the author of chronicles of arborell couldn't program the torchlight randomly enerating gamebook into a game, since the ideas there were incredibly unique, you rolled to see the basic geometry of the passage which gave you a description such as:

"this is a dark intersection with a turn to the right and a floor carpited with bones and dust"

Then rolled for a random environmental affect, which could be anything from nothing, to poison gas making going that way impossible, to monoliths that nullified magic, or even a danger to cross such as a pit to jump (if you had a rope), or a narrow space making combat there difficult.

finally, you rolled for a monster, or maybe a treasure item item (some monsters could initiate a roll for treasure if you defeated them), (which might be a trap, and since each room didn't necessarily hold all of these and since you found the rooms at random you had a lot of variation.

The only problem with torchlight is you need to physically sit there, draw up your own charsheet and use dice, which also limited the complexity of the system, ---- combat is the basic gamebook style, but given some programming I could imagine a similar system working exceptionally well, particularly given some of the great effects and combat mechanics we've seen in Kerkerkruip.

2013-05-26 22:52:22

Well personally I don't particularly mind playing html gamebooks and rolling my own dice (I've even played some plane text ones using the find feature), I did it for most of the arbrorell ones which are exceptionally well put together, though i agree that some scripting and automation in torchlight would've been nice, particularly since it could increase the options available in the system from those you could just roll on two d10's, albeit that it is fairly easy to play anyway if your relatively organized, (I'd actually considdered making a podcast about it, I shoudl really do that). 

As regards lone wolf, well myself I just went through the series and found different ways through, indeed i've played all the books three times over now. The only cheating I did was interpreting "if you have the sommerswerd" to mean "if you have the sommerswerd and wish to use it"

Since oddly enough, having the most powerful sword in the entire universe gives you a much harder game and means it's nearly impossible to finish without very specific items, law circles and combinations of skills, and I didn't think it was unreasonable to assume that lw himself was intelligent enough not! to whip out the massive glowy show offy sword of ultimate goodness which all evil creatures want to smite him for holding at every opportunity big_smile.

That tangent over however, as regards kerkerkruip, I see your point as regards changing character options, but my concern would be changing them enough to make them actually have a different baring on the way the game is played, rather than just a different flavour. For example, if a stun strike with a weapon or an electric bolt to use your example had exactly the same chance of hitting or effect, they'd be practically the same, one would need to be slightly different, say the weapon stun had a greater chance of hitting but a smaller chance of stunning. Also, sinse the powers from monsters aren't always that useful (I'm always disappointed how my tentacles don't seem to frighten anybody), how much difference changing powers would be I don't know, indeed one weakness of the powers system is that some powers such as stun and repost seem amazingly more useful than others.

Oh, and if different classes gained different powers it'd also mean completely rewriting all the powers of monsters too which would likely be a major task and balancing issue.

if both a wizard and warrior started with the same parry and dodge and rapier, there wouldn't be that much different in combat. What we'd need would be some sort of system where say a wizard got a dodge bonus, a warrior got a parry bonus, or where the wizard did less damage but had more chance of hitting and had different skills, ---- say a deep concentration move where the wizard could get two levels of concentration in a single round by sacrificing dodge bonus.

that might actually be a nice way to go, change their initial skills rather than the powers they got from enemies, indeed this might be an interesting way of varying the game, say calling your starting character a rogue (as they seem both to have magical and combat tallents), then have a warrior with some tougher combat abilities, and a more hardy starting weapon, but no ability to use blood magic or read scrolls, and the wizard, who can instantly identify scrolls, use blood magic better but has slightly different starting skills and a weaker initial weapon such as a staff.

2013-05-26 23:51:00

I'm still not sure how this happened, but somehow malygris became my ally.okI just have to paste this.

The demonic assassin deals 6 + 2 (concentration) + 2 (tension) + 3 (heat) = 13 damage, killing Malygris.

Absorbing a soul has fully healed you.

You have been awarded the Mageslayer achievement!

*** You have defeated Malygris! With his immense magical powers now at your disposal, it is time to teleport back to
Montenoir and pay a little visit to the prince. ***

In that game you scored 16 out of a possible 18, in 228 turns.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.