2007-01-04 13:38:16

Hi. You folks may remember me, and then again you mayn't. I've been a lurker for awhile, sometimes talking and sometimes keeping quiet. I've come to ask a couple of questions, and then to explain the premise for a game I'm working on.

First off, I've just been introduced to basic HTML, and learned it quickly. I looked at some PHP stuff (which is what I want to learn next, along with SQL), and it's sort of daunting. I'm curious if any of you have extensive PHP experience and could walk me through it to the point where I can start teaching myself. I'm autodidactic by nature, but I'm not quite sure enough how to begin and don't dare get myself muddled before I get started. Any and all help is appreciated.
This recent interest in PHP and other web languages has resulted in me deciding I'm quite interested in a career in web design. I'm curious to know if any of you other blind or visually impaired gamers/readers (I'm totally blind, BTW), know if this is an ideal or even feasible career choice. I love HTML, and like the bits of PHP that I've seen, love computer logic and code syntax and all that nifty jazz. I learn fairly fast, and am only hoping that the mathematical knowledge required for programming isn't too vast (I'm not bad at math, but I lack a lot of the skills and probably need a tune-up). I also sincerely hope that the interfaces with which one manipulates these more advanced sorts of code are accessible (I know HTML is fine, I know PHP is fine, I know SQL is fine, and C is probably all right as well, but beyond that I'm not sure).

Now, for the last (but hopefully not least) of it:
I and several ex-players of the game featured in my signature have decided to go off on our own, for various reasons, and create our own game. It is similar in style to PhantasyRPG, but different in many ways as well. The battle system is essentially turn-based and the interface is similar, but instead of two stats (attack and defense) there are four (attack, damage, defense, armour). We will have features which include:
- twelve different schools of magic, each with over thirty spells of five differing tiers
- a large and ever-expanding game world to explore
- combat-related and noncombat skills to denote specialty...everything from the type of weapon you like to wield, right down to your ability to handle tough terrain, deep water or read
- item drops from monsters which vary based on the way the monster was killed (rabbits are less likely to drop pelts if you slash them to death, skeletons are less likely to drop intact skulls if you bash them to death, etc)
- fellowships, guilds and player-owned houses which will offer player interactivity in a risk-free environment (that is, you won't get scammed out of cash)
four totally original races
- a professions system (similar to a job system, as in Final Fantasy V), but with many alterations which will enhance all facets of gameplay
- accessible site-wide interface (I'm essentially second-in-command over here, and am making 100 percent sure that the entirety of the game is accessible to blind or visually impaired players)
- ... and much more

The game is in its testing phase right now, not open to the public just yet, and I will not give the URL out just yet (it wouldn't matter if I did, you couldn't actually enter the game, since passwords aren't being sent out yet)), but I wanted to put the bug in your ear. If you're interested in a web-based, free-to-play browser-style MMORPG with many features, entirely accessible, be on the lookout for this one. Once we're live, I guarantee you I'll be back with the URL in case any intrepid people wanna try it out.
This game was, in fact, one of the reasons I got into programming in the first place. I want to help in as many ways as possible, and have thereby discovered a love for programming that may well lead to opportunities down the road if all goes well.

If any of you are annoyed or offended by the above wall of text, I do apologize. I'm not trying to spam or be unfriendly/arrogant, I'm only meaning to ask for advice and put the word out that I'm busy working on something that might be fun for some of you. If you have any questions, concerns, curiosities or answers, for that matter, either post them in here or set something up with me via IM (I have MSN Messenger) or email if you want to go in-depth about something.
My email address, which also doubles as my MSN contact info, follows. I have inserted colons in odd places to screw up spam-bots or anything else, but I won't garble it too much:
sh:e:pher:dwol:f13@y:aho:o.com

Thank you for reading, and have a great day/week/month/year/whatever. *smiles*

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-01-05 15:53:48

I'd like to start this post by congradulating you on starting programming. It's not as bad as most people think and it is a great way to bring out the creativity within you.
Secondly, I'd like to say that this game sounds great! Many areas which are not typically included in most rpgs seem to be exploited in this game. The house feature is one of note in my mind.
Lastly, I'm happy to see that you're going to work hard on the accessibility. Now, anyone who's ever talked to me before will know that I'm not crazy about accessibility; I'm very willing to try things that most people consider "unaccessible." However, phantasy rpg didn't constantly appeal to me because it was tedious skipping through those immense amounts of adds. I know, if this game is to be free, there will be adds, but I'm sure there are ways to make add skipping faster with a screen reader. I know a good bit about html myself, so if you want suggestions, feel free to message me.
Good luck!

2007-01-05 20:00:46

Well I know Jaws has the ability to jump to headings by pressing "H". Not sure if other screen readers can do this, I would imagine they could but since I don't use them I can't speak for them. If they can headings would be ideal for skipping adverts.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-06 01:06:42

PRPG was running on a fairly bad server for awhile there, but even when it wasn't, ads have always been a bit of a slowdown. I can't promise there'll be no ads...in fact, there likely will be ads...but CX2 is right about the shortcut. We'll try and keep the ads down.
One thing of note, though (and no, this is by no means a request, just a tidbit of knowledge): on PRPG, at least, if you wanted to get rid of the ads, donating 10USD to the game would've done it, plus given you 16 free AP and 10HP to play with. We are going to have in-game bonuses of some type for player donations, but I'm not sure if ads will be part of them. I'm not asking for donations when we go live, not by a longshot, but if you really don't like ads, and if we do things the same way, it could at least be a viable option.

I would love to be able to let people in all by myself right this instant, to give them a look round, but it's unwise for a couple of reasons and besides, I don't have the access in-game to assign passwords for other players. I can do almost everything else except that, but need a coder to do that. Either way, we shouldn't be too long. My guess is anywhere from, say, four weeks to three months, no telling exactly how long. It's the battle file that needs the most cleaning up.

Sk8Kid, what was your username on PRPG and do you still play? I probably at least heard of you at some point, unless you were an on-again off-again type of person who tried a handful of times since September and never went back. A lot of dirty water has run beneath that particular bridge, I'm afraid, and that game is nowhere near what it once was. I have hope for it, I don't exactly want it to die (I worked hard on it for over a year and a half...why would I?), but it's ill, and wobbling.

Thanks for the vote of encouragement though. The two things in HTML I don't know how to do yet are style sheets and tables, and both are absolutely integral to web design, I know. I'll have to learn those, then get my nose into PHP and SQL.

2007-01-06 02:11:50

Well, my name on prpg was knight12, I really wasn't into it. I was always a newbie and I was on and off, but I believe I talked to you once.
Tables are very simple and nice once you get the hang of them. They are easier on those who have vision's eyes layout-wise. Don't get discouraged when you have to worry about alignment and spacing, it is really simple. Just be simple; less is more. Just be logical and you'll be good.

2007-01-06 04:23:40

I agree about tables. I've played around with CSS in a project at college too and it's not too hard.

For tables for example:
<table> starts a table
<tr> starts a table row
<td> starts a table cell, I presume the D stands for detail.
Adding the slash closes thus:
<table>
<tr>
<td>
first row, first cell
</td>
<td>
first row, second cell
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Second row, first cell
</td>
<td>
second row, second cell
</td>
</tr>
</table>

You're going in horizontal rows from left to right in the cells, and the rows come out top to bottom.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-06 15:47:31

Good example, here's another.
<table align="center" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1">
<tr>
<td>
this is a cell
</td>
<td>
One space to the right, here I am.
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
I'm two spaces below the top left cell.
</td>
<td>
I'm 2 below the second.
</td>
</tr>
</table>
Just a little bit of spacing in there: cellpadding = spaces between rows, cellspaceing = spacing between rows, align = alignment.

2007-01-07 23:41:14

Shoot, that's not hard at all! Thanks for the tips on tables, I'll go write all that down and practice a little.

2007-01-08 02:09:10

the game sounds interesting, however I am minorly worried that it'll just turn into yet another stat cruncher with more emphasis on having the biggest numbers than completing quests, exploring new teretory and interacting with other charactors.

there are sooooooo many games on the internet that pretend to be Rpg's when they're really just glorified micro-management games, and all the world really consists of is an item shop, a message board and an endless array of monsters to repeatedly kill.

I'm sorry if this sounds a litle harsh, and I certainly wish you the best of luck in development of the game, it just slightly irritates me that the only fantasy game on the net which has any real quest or exploration elements to it seems to be Sryth (legend of the Green dragon and Hogwarts live both have a litle, but Imho not really enough to class as Rpg's).

As to adds, hal certainly has an ability to skip headings, however, however sometimes when trying out new games I've accidently clicked add links mistaking them for links in the game, so I hope they can be put in a convenient place like at the bottom of the screen below the usual status info.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-08 05:15:47

Stat-crunching, to a small extent, is part of any RPG, even Sryth. It's the core of LotGD as well, if you want to be literal.
Just as an aside, the world is hopefully going to be quite large, with many different areas to explore. Some features of areas/quests will be:
- terrain that may help or hinder you in combat or in exploration (fog, rain, snow, ice, rockslides/mudslides, cliffs and tides and undertow)
- riddles (or sets of riddles which vary from player to player) for the answers to quests
- fights that don't rely on pure stats to win (and subsequently, some creatures that adjust themselves to your stats and fight accordingly)

I am very much against "go kill this beast, get EXP!". If we do that, there'll be a reason, and it will be well-documented. We want a large writing team almost purely so that several different people can work on overarching history and such.

2007-01-08 07:49:58

Well that's just a great idea. The thing is, if you have ads, it'd bring down the loading speed, which, I think blind should be recommended to turn off "show pictures on web pages" to prevent that. Because most of ads usually have pictures attached to them.
And about the game itself, I didn't like both Legend Of The Green Dragon and Hogwards Live, because they seem to have a go-my-way. I mean it's the game that leads you to the end, but you would not be able to decide on your own fate... if you get what I mean. So I think having a choose-your-own-adventure style would be great although it requires a lot of work to be done.

2007-01-08 11:50:54

LotGD, Hogwarts Live, Eragon Online...they're all based off exactly the same basic code, and they're cute enough if you want something to do, but those games are ALL ABOUT  grinding, basically. There are lots of features, no question about it, but it's all about how much gold and how many gems you can get before beating the boss and starting from scratch with a few advantages.

No no. The game I'm working on is not the kind where you start over, though there will very likely be either one grand plot or several plots (similar to Sryth, in that several quests make up a story). But unlike Sryth, where you basically click within the framework of a quest, this one will be a bit wider (think Final Fantasy, where you might get a quest in a village, and can do whatever you please in most cases before tackling that quest, including stopping halfway through). This will be the rule, but there may be exceptions.

There will be skills linked to noncombat features and skills linked to combat. If you would rather be a merchant than a fighter, or if you would rather be a weaponsmith or an alchemist or a thief...knock yourself out.

2007-01-08 15:17:08

Hmm, sounds like you're trying to combine the best elements from muds and web-based "RPGs". Quotes there because like Dark I'm a little unsure of many such games.

I certainly hope you succeed, I think it would be interesting.

cx2
-----

2007-01-08 16:14:00

It's just a great idea, and as CX2 said, seems to get the best elements and combine them.
As I heard "Eragon Online", I wanted to jump and try it since I like Eragon itself. But when you said it's in the same style, bah!
Well that's the easiest style to make such RPG's definitely. But your plans... are just great.