2013-05-06 11:06:44 (edited by ragzouken 2013-05-06 11:09:42)

Hey everyone, I made an audiogame for Ludum Dare 26 (a tri-yearly game making event):

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da … ;uid=13822

I had no idea audiogames existed until I started making one (except Deep Sea) and so I started making it with complete ignorance to audiogame design. As such it's quite unpleasant to play, and very difficult. Despite that, many people seem to have enjoyed the idea and some even completed it - much to my surprise.

I'm really interested in building more audiogames and I'm hoping this community can help me with that. I've looked around for resources on audiogame design, but as yet I've only found a couple of academic papers.

p.s - someone is compiling a list of games for Ludum Dare 26 that used limited vision to meet the theme of minimalism; some of these are audiogames so may be of interest ... (I can't post more than one URL, so google for "spiridios ludum dare" and you should find the relevant post)

2013-05-06 12:23:45

Hi.
This game is... interesting, it is nice but very hard to understand and play, as far as I can tell, the aros move you and the sounds indercate walls and other things like that.

I'm gone for real :)

2013-05-06 16:11:39

Yeah, it is not particularly well-explained, sorry. The static indicates that you are touching or very close to a wall, but you can slide along a wall when moving so it's deceptive. The beating sound is the target, and the pitch of the other sound is how close the nearest thing in front of you is. You need the visuals to tell your orientation if you aren't using a controller. I learnt a lot making it though, and have ideas on how to improve it and make it actually playable.

2013-05-06 21:01:50

Greetings!

I will be definitely taking a look at this game for sure!
Side note: After ya post around 5 posts, you'll be able to post more than one link.
Its a strange thing for first time postings. Not sure why that is... smile
And welcome to the forums!

2013-05-06 21:12:22

Thanks!

I hope you find the game interesting - it's not too playable or fun, but it was my first try in a genre I'd never heard of or played before smile

I wrote a post about what I think its failings were if anyone was interested: http://audiogamedesign.tumblr.com/post/ … ludum-dare

2013-05-07 02:45:31

Hi and Welcome to the forums. smile

Curiously, you aren't the only person to have recently created an audiogame called SoundScape.  Curiously, too, it's a new entrant based on original research.

I'll definitely look into your game when I get the chance, for curiosity's sake.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

Just myself, as usual.

2013-05-08 20:39:37

Hi! I would like to ask You, why down, left and right arrows doesn't worked. Please, could You fix this problem? Thanks.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-05-08 20:55:45

Apologies - the keys should work but they aren't explained properly: firstly if there's a mouse cursor that might be interfering, so press up to move forward which will also automatically put the mouse in a place where it doesn't interfere. Secondly left and right arrows are for turning.

There's no way to tell which way you are facing, so arrows are not very good controls, sorry. I could make a version that uses the keyboard joystick emulation that I used in soundmap i, if you found that usable?

2013-05-08 20:58:18

Might a screen reader be getting in the way? Jaws tends to interfere with arrow keys.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-05-09 10:21:32

Or, Ragzouken, I have a good idea to record some voices to this game.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.