2007-01-03 06:43:36 (edited by cx2 2007-01-03 06:44:38)

Found a link on the visually impaired section at game-accessibility.com to a site apparently offering a load of the old Infocom IF games, including HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy.. The url was:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

Now I couldn't get it to work, and don't know how accessible it is. It looks like it uses a Java app to run the game straight from their web site. I was wondering, has anyone either got this to work or found somewhere where I can get at the very least Hitchhikers? I would also be curious about the other games, but more worried about this one.

If an interpreter is requird could someone also suggest one that works well with screen readers please?  For reference I'm using Jaws 4.51.

Thanks in advance guys. I ran a search for hitchhikers on the forums here, but didn't actually find a reference to getting it working or where to get it so I'm hoping someone knows.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-04 11:34:33

can't help you with that one, but i found a website that lets you download every single episode of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy radio series free.
they're all on the following website.
sadena.com

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2007-01-04 15:49:35

Hi,
WinFrotz is an interpreter some people use.  I have very little experience with it though.
The actual data file is probably now on your hard drive, if you know how to look in your temporary internet files.  It would probably have a .dat extension, or maybe a .z3 or .z5 extension.
As far as I know, it is still illegal to offer Infocom games for download, anywhere, except Activision, where you may still be able to purchase them for download in collections.  As far as I know, Activision owns the rights to all Infocom games except Hitchhikers and Shogon.

2007-01-07 05:35:16 (edited by dark empathy 2007-01-07 05:42:32)

http://if.illuminion.de/index.html

Hosts almost all the old Infocom games including Hitchhikers. for the legality of said site and the site owner's take on matters check out the disclaimer (I personally agree with him, sinse Activision haven't actually released any infocom game collections for about 14 years).

A big thanks to robjoy for telling me about said site.

all the games are Dat, zip, or Z code files (not the normal sort of Zip or dat files), though, so you'll need a Z code interpreter to read them.

I can personally confirm Win Frotz works flawlessly with hal, and there are people on this forum who use it with jaws ---- though what version of Jaws exactly I'm not certain.

but Heck! there's even a Tts version of Win frotz that outputs directly to Sapi.

My favourite introduction to If site, with all the interpreters and instructions on how to use them is this one:

http://www.microheaven.com/IFGuide/IFGu … =6&c=0

If you want the Win Frotz Tts, Thom lorimer has it here:

http://www.whitestick.co.uk/text.html

Hmmmm, this isn't the first time If related matters have reared their confusing heads on this board, maybe I'll do a pod cast to try and explain things once and for all, now theres a challenge! a philosophy student trying to make things less confusing!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-07 12:25:39

Thanks Dark, much appreciated.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-07 16:50:25

No trouble, it was actually Robjoy who gave me the link to said site in the first place, so creddit is probably due to him.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)