2013-03-27 11:18:43 (edited by Victorious 2013-04-03 12:04:48)

Hi All

Just wanted to announce that I've updated my river defence reloaded map and I've also released sort of a sequel called defence of Iliria (sort of because storyline writing is not my forte). Here is the changelog for the changes to river defence reloaded
v1.0 (Apr 3 2013)

-restricted the use of flame blade and electrify weapon for the AI so that it can only be used on grunts, archers and dark knights. There was no benefit of using the skills on spellcasters. This might cause the game to become too difficult again. Additionally, these spells used the health_inflict flag meaning that spellcasters also got the damage boost which was not supposed to happen. Flame blade and electrify weapon now only boost damage from attack and cleave/whirlwind

-Fixed cleave so that splash damage does not affect friendly units. Renamed cleave of evil knights to whirlwind and made enemy units similarly immune (Thanks Alan)

-The chance of freeze success has been increased to 75%

-Spellcasters who control an element are now immune to that damage type

-Added more sounds

Below is the description for the Defence of Iliria map:
The attempted invasion through the river ford was just a prelude to something more sinister. After sending word about what transpired in the capital, more reenforcements were sent to your outpost. After repelling 2 more attacks, you received word from scouts that an even larger host approaches; composed of demonic elementals, giants, plague-bringers, and magi  led by the dark  archmage Eldrin. You were forced to fall back to Iliria, the nearest city but nevertheless, managed to eliminate a substantial portion of the host with cunningly concealed traps and magical explosives. Eldrin has elected to divide what remains of his army into 4 squads that will approach Iliria from every direction. Teams of spellcasters have managed to erect wards that will temporarily  stop the advance of the demons coming from the west and south but they will not hold up for long and if you are completely surrounded, defeat is certain. They must be stopped at all costs!

This map is pretty complex, with about a hundred different skills, damage types , enemies that have different resistances and vulnerabilities to different damage types and the ability to summon AI-controlled elementals to assist you in combat. I've also cracked down on the targets that the AI can use buffing skills on to reduce mana wastage and make it more challenging.

The user guide for both maps can be found at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2138237/User%20Guide.md.html and both maps can be downloaded from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2138237/Victor … 1.12.1.zip

If you try out the maps, I would love to hear any thoughts and constructive feedback.

2013-03-27 19:30:56

Wow I tried this thing, its really awesome.  The only problem is that its really really hard.  I think everyone should check it out.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2013-03-27 19:51:26

Haha lol, so I forgot to add knights and went overboard giving the enemy too many. reduced the number of enemy knights to 3 and they now only have 9 AP and deal 5d7 damage when attacking so it should be possible to win again. Updated the link to the latest version on the first post.

2013-03-28 15:39:32

Wow! This map is awesome! Congrats man!
Are you planning on creating a series of maps or just this one? I personally think this is a good start for a map series!
Keep up the good work!

cheers
Croksland

2013-03-28 16:14:13 (edited by Victorious 2013-03-28 16:17:15)

Thanks, did you manage to beat the map? I've gotten lots of feedback in previous versions that it was impossible tongue

A sequel is in the works, I'm just writing out the documentation so that it Is easy to do the actual skill and unit creation. It will feature different types of damage and it will actually be significant. There will be physical, fire, water, earth, electrical, holy and unholy damage.

This will be the storyline:

The attempted invasion through the river ford was just a prelude to something more sinister. After sending word about what transpired in the capital, more reenforcements were sent to your outpost. After repelling 2 more attacks, you received word from scouts that an even larger host approaches; composed of summoned elementals, orks, trolls, demon magi and dragons led by a dark  archmage who calls himself Eldrin. You were forced to fall back to Idomia, the nearest city but nevertheless, managed to eliminate a substantial portion of the host with cunningly concealed traps and magical explosives. It is several days since the host has laid siege to Idomia, and supplies are running out. Demon magi work foul spells to spoil food, poison the water supply and  weaken the wards. They must be stopped at all costs!

The wards will be actual structures and I'm trying to decide if you will be able to strengthen them. The demonic mages will be able to wear them out eventually with the wardbreaker skill. The wards don't fully protect you though unfortunately because demonic plague-bringers will be able to summon hordes of demonic insects that can fly over the wards and dragons can fly over them too.

Every unit will have different weaknesses and resistances to elemental damage types, and enemy units will have unique skills that the player won't have. For example, I am planning for fire demons to do half fire and half unholy damage when it does a melee attack, and it would strongly resist attacks of its own element but be more vulnerable to water-based and holy attacks.

2013-03-28 16:18:22

I think you're enjoying yourself too much!  smile keep up the good work, its awesome

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2013-03-28 16:41:53

Thanks, this is a really great change after my disillusionment from Alter Aeon. I never expected to like map making so much.

2013-03-28 17:12:33

No. I haven't managed to beat the map so far, but it looks beatable!
I'm really looking forward to the rest of your maps!

cheers
Croksland

2013-03-31 05:18:03

Since you brought up AA. What was the final straw that disillusioned you? Or, was there one. I'm just curious.

Thanks
smile

2013-04-02 06:36:49

I guess I just got bored and tactical battle appealed to me more. Running the xp that I needed daily felt less like fun and more like actual work I guess. There has also been some pretty big changes recently, so I'm waiting till those settle down.

2013-04-03 12:05:35

I've just updated river defence reloaded and released a new map. Details are in the first post.