2014-07-23 09:13:16

Oh he can be laid back and gentle, in fact he is a lot of the time, but when he's excited he's rather bouncy. In fact one of the things I have to watch is he can go from completely placid sprawled out on the floor to up and going utterly crackers in a literal blink of the eye, it takes people who don't know him by surprise sometimes. That said he's utterly gorgeous and he absolutely knows it, in fact the first Christmas fair when I took him to hang around the guide dogs stall he leapt over one guide dog and barged another out of the way because he wanted the tickle she was going to get instead.

Amusingly that same Christmas fair I could feel his head turning slowly as the procession went by, he was obviously watching it, then his head would turn back the other way and start turning in pace with the procession again. He was really well behaved, I was concerned he would have wanted to go say hello to the huskies. I should probably explain that when foot and mouth was a big issue they couldn't get the usual reindeer so they had to make do with huskies and they were so popular they've had both ever since.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-23 10:48:42

Ironically reever is the other way  around, indeed my mum's dog Zia has to work quite hard if she wants to persuad Reever to get up and play given how lazy she is.

It's quite strange sinse I'd not have usually thought such a relaxed dog would have enough energy to guide, but the things she's managed to learn have been quite surprising.

Most recently I've taught her to find counters in shops and other places, which she picked up quite quickly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-23 18:16:29

Impressive, Kirk usually gets distracted trying to say hello to people in the queue though most of the shops round here are fairly cramped. He is trained to recognise shops by name though, of course it's always possible he simply goes to the nearest place he remembers going in but luckily nowhere I go is next door to anywhere else I go so far.

I did have to teach him what the word bed means however. How it worked was I'd hold out a rawhide cigar chew and say bed while standing next to it and tapping it with my toes, he didn't get the chew until he got on the bed. He'd then promptly get off again but he'd have gone completely librarian poo if I'd tried taking it away to get him back on there. The original thinking was actually to try to discourage him from laying in the middle of the floor with it where I'd trip over him, because I gave him the chews most days both because he enjoys them and they're good for his teeth he got the idea fairly easily. It took him maybe a month or so to get him to stop trying different variations like laying next to the bed, sitting up on the bed and so on. After a little longer I found I was able to send him to his bed when he misbehaved or was otherwise getting out of hand, he knew what the word meant and didn't expect a reward for it. It took longer to persuade him when he's been sent there he doesn't come straight back out again, and to this day I still often have to stand next to the bed pointing and clicking my fingers but that's because he's stubborn. He still keeps trying to get away with laying next to the bed.

In fact he's very, very much like me when I was a small child. This gives me a great deal of sympathy for my poor mum of course lol.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-23 18:27:03

Hello folks! I was in doubt about getting a guide dog. You know, I was practically born with a dog by my side and I have seem many facinating things and I really learned alot with them. But thing is, I was not sure if it could be somewhat boring or not nice at all for a dog to do stuff like be near you while you watch let's say, 4 hours of class or 8 hours of work or whatever. This topic made me see things by the other point of view though.
Now I'm wondering... How hard would it be for a brasilian guy to get a dog from a school from another country? I really really do not trust the few schools we have here, not to mention the rumours. So any tips, hints or anything? I've sent a mail to a few schools in the USA but got no responses. Also, most of them asked me to send some medical forms along the main form but I'm prety sure it wont be easy to find a way to validate any documentation writen in portuguese.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-07-23 20:32:19

@haramir,  the answer to what your guide dog does while you do something else is pretty much sleep! dogs sleep around 18 hours a day (well they're supposed to), so will just click off. ass long as you make sure that the dog doesn't need the loo, and that you do something stimulating for the dog during the day as well. When I am at my yearly music school and Reever is pretty much expected to sit still while I'm in several hours of singing classes I'll always take her for a run each morning, ---- though she equally gets a lot of running around through different classes at music school too.

One of the reasons in fact I got reever is that she's so relaxed she doesn't mind what I'm doing. If I'm nipping down to London on a train for a vocal studdies course or heading to a conference for a day she's fine with that, if I'm in all day working, or just playing games and relaxing she's fine with that too, though i make sure to give her at least a 40 minute working walk a day (my local sandwich shop has become very fond of me), and usually either a free run out the back or 20 minutes wandering around some little lanes on a long lead, (which is also cane practise.

I'm afraid I don't know about Brzil. You could try guide dogs here in Britain, sinse I do know some of the trainers have gone to other countries to set schools up. Also while in Britain the dogs are essentially free I don't know how the costs would work in another country sinse in Britain at least the training, breeding etc for a dog basically means guide dogs cost about £15000 each, that's roughly 22000 dollars. Of course this is total value of the Dog, not what any person actually has to pay.

Btw, amusing story. Apparently in the early 2000's, several robbers broke into the guide dog breeding center in Lemington to attempt to steel valuable puppies. The problem was they didn't do their homework and ended up breaking into the police dog training section of the center instead (sinse though the two are different they share the same building and kennel facilities). Apparently the police arrived to find the robbers huddled in one corner of the kennel with about 20 very inthusiastic Alsatians telling them in no uncertain terms to stay there :d.

@Cx2, names of shops is good goping. My Gran always had her dogs learn the names of local shops, though for me I go to dtoo several parts of the country to make it a good idea, usually I just tell Reever to find the door of somewhere when we're close, and if we're not going in that particular place that day I'll just tell her not today. Generally I've tried to teach her specific objects rather than places such as seats, counters and bus stops. She actually enjoys crowds and working her way around them, indeed it's sort of ironic that where I used too always go shopping at 8.30 in the morning, now I tend to go when it's busy just because Reever enjoys it so much. She's also very good at following someone, which is handy in shops when walking around with the assistant or following friends, all I need to do is point to the person and say "follow"

Reever likes those hide chews as well, though she only tends to get them on a day when I'm not going anywhere else as compensation :d.

Regarding lying in the  middle of the floor, well what I did with reever is what i did with various other dogs I've had, which is if I am walking along and know she's in front of me gently nudge her out of the way with my toe. A few occasions of this and she learns to move out the way or to lie in very specific places, ---- indeed she likes corners. Right now she's on my harth rug (which she's very fond of), which is not on any of the routes I'd go around the room at all.

Regarding punishments, well with Reever a raised voice usually stops her fairly quickly sinse she's so gentle, though on the few occasions I've had to let her know she's done something really bad I use a trick i learnt with Jess the bull terrier pup I had from when I was 13 to 26 (and the principle reason I didn't get a guide dog earlier). Don't speak to, look at or otherwise acknolidge the dog, just take by the colar, walk into an empty room, let go and turn around and walk off. If the dog comes out do again, then after a few minutes just call the dog back.

The key thing is not to speak, It's to do with being abandoned and not part of the pack and really is not nice for a dog, which is why I've only done it to reever a couple of times and only when she's done something particularly bad, like try and go to talk to other dogs repeatedly during a walk (including when crossing roads), or attempting to steal food out of someone's hand, though both are things she's not done now for over a year, and I didn't need to repeat afterdoing the anbadonment thing once.

Actually in general she's extremely good, as well as very person orientated, indeed part of the reason I make dam sure to take her for walks each day is that it would be far too easy as she's such an  undemanding dog to take her for granted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-23 21:15:14

Kirk's quite happy in my braille class for a couple hours, though he does of course try getting tickles from people who go by at the start or end. There's also a break in the middle where I quite often stay in the classroom and just fuss him. I think as much as anything he enjoys hearing the different noises so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thing with Kirk is when he lays in the middle of the room he lays exactly where I'm going and he's a lot of dog to nudge out of the way with a toe, he generally just stays flopped out and I have to go around him. When he decides he's staying put there's not much chance of shifting him without physically lifting him, a scary idea at 30kg. The only other major issue I have is when he toilets even in the back garden he doesn't do it in a consistent place, he shuffles along while he's doing it leaving a great long trail, and when he's done he moves away from it pretty quickly so my chances of finding it myself are virtually nil. For that reason I only take him for runs with assistance, even with him on a flexilead or even a normal lead I'd find it near impossible to locate what he's done or often even to be certain if he has on some occasions when he's been particularly fast.

cx2
-----

2014-07-23 22:04:51

Hello folks! So Dark, can you please talk to a trainer and give me an idea of how much would it costs? Or at least point me a site where I can keep in touch with the training center? I'd be glad to be in a place like this where the dogs are so well cared for. I wouldn't tolerate if I apply for a guide dog and discover later on that the animals were mistreated.
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-23 22:21:28

I'll phone tomorrow and make enquiries.

@Cx2,  Kirk is  obviously bigger than I thought, but I've never been good at weight measures, generally though the  nudge isn't move out of the way so much as it is just "shift or you get trod onnasty as it sounds convincing a dog that it will get trodden on if it lies around in the center of the floor is actualy the best way to get a dog to move. If you can do this kindly nudging a dog out of the way with your foot that's better, but if it happens the other way, ---- well.

The free run I mentioned for ~Reever isn't really so much as to do with toileting as it is to do with just having a run around on the grass for fum, indeed I make dam sure she goes before hand.

Guide dogs for me built a run, ie, a small pen near the  wall of the block of flats floored with flag stones, that is where Reever does her business and sinse it's all in one place clearing it isn't a problem (remember I live on my own most of the time so any assistance I'd need to pay for).

Reever tends to like people but will usually be a bit less forward about getting attention in a strange place, though if someone talks to her she'll usually come and  nose the person or put her paw on them.

2014-07-23 22:27:20

Kirk is a little sod about not toileting out back, he purposely saves it up for his runs. I've tried to break him of this habit but even when I've got him to go consistently beforehand he still does something on the run. I guess that's just him.

cx2
-----

2014-07-23 23:01:40

You might want to check with guide dogs about that. Reever had a spate of going on walks and during free runs when I first got her, and the way I fixed that was by leaving her for a while in the run (about ten minutes), checking, then sticking her back in, and if still! nothing she didn't get a walk or a free run. If kirk is able to do something on comand but then still goes on a free run you probably ought to talk to your trainer sinse getting a dog to go on command is very helpful, particularly if you know your going to be somewhere else for the next few hours.

2014-07-23 23:33:00

Hello again folks! Wow, thanks Dark! big_smile
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-24 11:26:53

The trainer actually told me they'll usually manage to do something while on a free run so I doubt that would be much help sadly. In fact there's one or two quirks Kirk has I wish the trainer took a little more seriously, even after I've brought them up, but they're not really bad enough for me to want to make a formal complaint.

cx2
-----

2014-07-24 15:56:25

Ah, fair enough. With reever it needed fixingsinse the back garden isn't precisely just mine but a large space of rass I share with people in the three other lfats in my block and the block next door. This is actually good sinse the lady enxt door has a small jack russel who likes playing with Reever out the back, but obviously I don't want reever going out there where I can't find it if it can be avoided.

2014-07-24 17:55:04

Hey folks! Dark, do you mind adding me on skype? I have a few questions about the application process in the UK, and since it is a personal matter I do not want to spam the topic with this.
My skype name is:
Aanderson.carvalho
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-24 20:14:51

I don't have a mike anymore haramin, so haven't used Skype for years, indeed I deleted the program from my computer in around 2010 and I suspect my account has expired by now, plus I'm not usually a chat software sort of person anyway.

I'm still not sure whether you could apply to the Uk for a dog or how much it would cost, I have a nasty feeling it is uk only but sinse the office was closed when I phoned this afternoon (it must've been their half day), I will have to try tomorrow.

2014-07-24 22:35:46

Ok Dark, thanks for the support.
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-10-12 08:07:50

Hi!

Sorry for resurrecting this thread once again, but the way i see it is, this is a good resource for anyone that is thinking of getting a guide dog anyway.

The reason for the resurrection is to let everyone know that I am finally getting my dog tomorrow or Monday.

She is a golden lab, her name is Fiona.
I'm really excited but nervous at the same time.  I just read the whole thread again; It makes me feel like I'm preparing when it probably won't do much for me in the long run. lol

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2014-10-12 08:50:53

Good to hear, good luck with Fiona.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 08:57:26

I agree with Cx2. As I said earlier in this thread, bare in mind it takes time for things to settle down and probably the first couple of weeks won't be easy but it is worth perciveering.

2014-10-12 17:18:11

Yeah, good luck and success for both of you!
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-10-12 18:39:13

I never had a dog of any description before Kirk so in my case it was at least a couple months, so be patient. If you at all like animals of any description the bond will happen, just don't feel guilty like I did because it hasn't happened yet and everyone always talks about how you must have fallen in love with the dog already.

In my case I had to learn to read Kirk's behaviour without sight, since I grew up with cats I was used to having an audio cue for when they're happy in their purring as well as having to learn a dog's body language or what I can tell of it. It takes time to tune in to what they're thinking and how they're feeling but you will get there.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 20:03:29

Funny Cx2, I've never had a problem telling what a dog is thinking just by touch or behaviour or general communication, but then again I grew up with dogs as I said so I suppose it depends upon what your used to.

I will say I was quite surprised myself just how much Reever missed her trainer and how difficult it actually was to connect with her, which I found odd and very depressing sinse usually i get on with dogs extremely well, indeed my brother refers to me as "dog boy" for that reason. Its definitely workked out now though, albeit it was probably six weeks before I stopped thinking "Why the hell am I stuck with this dog who doesn't like me" and slightly longer before things changed. Now, Reever and I are pretty inseparable and I can't imagine going anywhere without her.

2014-10-12 20:36:35

Kirk loved me almost right away, I just had trouble feeling the connection in return and that's what made me feel guilty.

As for telling what they're thinking, I'm perfectly good at it now like you say I simply didn't have the experience with dogs. I hadn't spent any time at all with dogs and not having an audio cue for when he was happy was a big hurdle for me to get past. Like you and Reever we're inseparable now, it just took some getting used to from my end of things and luckily Kirk was persistent enough that he never gave up on me.

I never disliked him, I simply had to get through the shock of having this hyperactive fuss pot hanging around me all the time and learn what his behaviour means.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 22:28:17

I wouldn't say I disliked Reever, rather she made it really clear she didn't like me and just wanted her trainer Paul. It's pretty clear when a dog spends all of their time lying in front of the front door or when I tried to stroke her she literally walked away to sit in a corner.

I think Reever is a very one person orientated dog, she loves everybody, but if I leave she always follows me, indeed even now three years later she refuses to get into the back of a car unless she's seen me get in first, and if she sees me put my shoes on preparing to go out she will not leave me.

Apparently that's a typical difference between Labradors and Retrievers, indeed the lady who was training with me had a very large laid back golden lab called Norton, and I remember thinking after meeting him "well I wish they'd given me that dog" big_smile.

of course it all worked out in the end, but it wasn't a particularly fun process, especially as I was stuck inside for much of it seeing nobody accept my trainer.

2014-10-12 23:55:05

I hope me and the dog don't have too many problems at first, but at this point I'm expecting the worst.  I'm not really sure if I'm good at understanding what dogs want by hearing them and stuff, and I am also  completely blind, but I am hoping this gets easier as time passes.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...