2013-03-05 15:17:15

one thing I don't understand is why people think hitting a dog will help train them.  I mean, it doesn't even work for people!  And yeah I'm actually really excited for the guide dog training itself, since it'll probably answer a lot of the questions that are floating around in my little brain.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2013-03-05 17:07:13

Lol Bryan, I believe that, indeed I knew a chap who was very much of the same mold. last I heard he'd had a dog, but basically his mum looked after it and he'd just walkd around with it, and when the dog retired he said he wasn't getting another.

There is no denying that guide dogs are! helpfull, but it is a two way thing, and generally you will get back as much as you put in,  since quite simply if your dog doesn't like you it's not likely to want to actually help you get  round things.

I think the absolute worst I've ever heard was two girls who were at my music summer school before I was, ---- indeed thanks to the view of blind people they gave the principle of that  course them i nearly didn't get a place. They apparently not only constantly winjed, about such silly things as not having an en sweet bathroom (when no room in the entire school did and they'd been put next door to a bathroom), and  apparently not only did they force one of the  instructors to pick up for them since they weren't capable of doing it  themselves, even though the association had built them a dog run at the school (which bad since they were only there one week a year), but also one of their dogs apparently had a wee in the dining room!

how in hell they didn't let their poor dog out so that it was so desperate I don't kno!

I think after them if I'd gone with a dog initialy I would've been refused, and it was only because they were used to me and got the idea that I was compitant before! I had the dog, ---- though now after I went with reever and was fine they're quite happy about it.

@Aaron, there are a lot of out and out myths or misconceptions about guide dogs that I've noticed people  have, especially I might add people who haven't lived particularly with dogs as pets. I'm always happy to despell some of these, indeed they can be quite  amusing.

One of my favourites is when people on the street hear me giving commands to reever and assume she is still in training because I am telling her what to do. When I ask people how exactly  she would! know where I wanted to go unless! I told her people do a rather commical double take, :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-03-05 17:57:41

haha, I imagine they think its a gps that not only tells you where to go, but actually takes you there! smile

2013-03-06 19:20:26

Oh yes! They do think the dog knows exactly where it's going. I often get the question how does my dog know where we're going, and I have to explain that she doesn't. I have to know, and I give her simple left, right, and forward commands.

Haha. The cashiers in one of the dining halls at my college always asked me how long my dog would be in training.

Wow, I would have very little patience with someone that refused to pick up after their own dog.

2013-03-07 00:51:44

Well, I don't think I'll be getting my living gps this year.  They said that the class is pretty much full for the summer, but not completely sure yet.

2013-03-07 09:58:40

Living gps, hahaha! smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-03-08 19:05:35

Well a guide dog isn't a gps, but it's surprising what routes they can! learn, or what objects they can identify. My mum's dog in fact can find specific places by name if she's been there, but my mum's dog is hyper intelligent.

reever doesn't know place names, but is great at finding specific objects, door, steps, bus stops and now seats.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-03-08 23:16:16

haha I didn't mean literally, I was just thinking of how sighted people view them.

2013-05-24 01:29:33

Hello there guys! I was wondering:
On average, up to what age will a guide dog be able to work? And then, once it has to retire, what will happen to it if you get a new dog?
I've heard of cases where owners keep there retired dogs, but I think that that might get unfair to either the working dog, cause of things like the emotional bond between the old dog and its owner that might have formed over the years,or the retired dog, if it might get neglected cause it is no longer able to work?

@Rei_Netta147 on Twitter
lol!!!

2013-05-24 02:04:28

Your old guide dog will continue to feel a "special" bond to you for the rest of its life, but will stop caring that you're leaving it at home fairly quickly in most cases.  If you are retiring your dog then it is typically for a good reason, and the most typical one is the dog not wanting to work anymore.  I'm going through this right now: I was given my dog when I was in my last year of high school, doing online classes at the college.  She was consequently given to me with the assumption that I would not be very active.  I am now in college full-time, and she can't keep up and doesn't have the desire to work as much as I need her to.  This is my first dog, and I've had her three years.  I'd say that talking about the average really isn't helpful here.  It's typically somewhere around 7 years.  That said, there was someone in my class who was on her tenth dog in ten years, and Guide Dogs for the Blind, as of when I got mine, had a record of a team still working after 14 years.  It depends on you, your dog, and random chance (dog breaks both front legs in a horrible news-worthy act of heroism, etc).  There was one guy in the world trade center when it collapsed; his dog got him out and had to retire because it didn't know to hold its breath when the towers collapsed and the dust cloud came down the street.  Net result, breathing problems.  I don't know his name, but he was in the news for a while and apparently wrote a book about it--the dog got all serious and guided him down the burning world trade center from like the 50th floor or something like that instead of panicking like most dogs would.  A good question, but not one that can be helpfully answered; the retirement reasons for guide dogs are so, so varied.  The most common one is, fortunately, old age and/or a desire not to work anymore.
Is it fair to the dog to keep it yourself?  yes.  You can, if you're really concerned about it, give it to a friend/family member, depending on your school.  GDB lets you have first choice, gives the puppy raiser second choice, and then places it (without euthanizing, ever). Dogs enjoy having other dogs around and will socialize and play together nicely in most cases, so keeping it with you is a perfectly viable option.  In 95% of cases, both dogs will live happy lives and get along nicely and all that.
Is it fair to you is the more interesting question.  You have
to take care of two dogs, now, and one of them is, in many cases, close to passing away.  The emotional "my first guide dog just died" is going to be the biggest thing for me in another 5 years or so; mine is retiring atypically early.  If you don't think you can deal with it, then consider distancing yourself from the dog.  Mine will be staying with my dad, as I live in a dorm. 
Specific procedures and options depend on the guide dog school of choice.  Be aware that they are super easy to place.  Purebred, trained, housebroken service dogs, yeah, great deal: Seeing eye charges to get one from them, and there's a waiting list (that may be failed dogs only, I'm not really sure).  If the school ends up placing them, they will be placed quickly.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2013-05-24 18:58:35

there are some cases i have heard about where the guide dog school might take the dog from you when it retires, but that all depends on the school, you have to look that up before you choose that school.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2013-05-25 05:22:10

Hi,
I never considered getting a guide dog, but I wanted to inquire on some things that were not addressed.
How do guide dogs interact with other guide dogs versus interacting with normal dogs, or other service dogs? From what I heard it depends on the personalities of those dogs. I wonder if dogs do things on instinct or if they are capable of thinking like we do. Obviously their brains differ from ours, so I do not know what it would be like to perceive things from a dog's view point, just like there are people with differing amounts of inteligence. One term I hear people referring to a lot os intelligent disobedience. It is when you ask the dog to do somthing and it does not do anything is because something is happening.
Also, since I never taken care of any dogs or cats, except for birds, I heard schools can see if you are fit to taking care of a dog round the clock. What would that be like? Would someone have to have prior experience with normal dogs?
Also, how are guide dogs trained from the time they are borne to when they are working? How many years does it take from stage to stage, and how long do they work before they retire?
Do guide dogs ever bark or growl? I heard two so far when they were either playing or fighting another guide dog.
Also, how good are they at avoiding being stepped on by people who cannot see them?
I have a few more questions but I feel that is enough for one post. Most of the other questiosn are about service animals in the world and the cummunity at large.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-05-25 07:45:12

This is a bit long, sorry; I wanted to try to be detailed.
To answer the general dog questions; Think two year old but with no long term memory.  They don't understand "then", only "now".  If you are mad at them "now", it is because of what they are doing "now".  I put that in quotes because it's like plus or minus a minute or so, at the most.  They have no strong cause and effect understanding, and if you get mad at them after the fact they don't understand it's because they destroyed the couch (in this example 15 minutes before you got home).  Instead, they might think that it's standing, or being in their current location, or any number of other things; in many cases, they will not be able to figure it out.  This is the biggest point that a lot of people don't understand.  If they do something really bad and you find out even 5 minutes later-well, too late.  Let's say that they come and sit down by your side at the moment you find out and then you yell at them; in their mind, they're being punished for sitting, or perhaps for approaching you, and this leads to...problems.
The reason I explained that so much is because most of their behavior stems from this fact, and so too most of the frustration.  When working, it's easy to correct immediately, but not so much at home;  I had a problem with mine taking soft pillows and/or my socks depending on the day, and it took me forever to stop it because I can't explain it to her.  The above explains about 75% of a dog's mental state.
No prior experience with other dogs is needed for a guide dog.  The school you pick should take care of teaching you to care for it; GDB did, at least.  Many blind people don't have that kind of experience, and the schools know this.  It is definitely more effort than a bird.
Dog-dog interactions are a whole subject in and of themselves; when working, your guide dog is generally supposed to ignore other dogs.  When not working, it's anyone's guess and depends both on your specific dog and the other dog in question.  There's entire articles on this subject.  Barking falls under the dog-specific category too.  Mine, specifically doesn't, much, but she'll make this cute groan in the middle of classes; no one minds, and everyone including the professor thinks that it's the most adorable thing (except me because I'm interrupting.  Such is life). 
Most guide dogs these days seem to be Labs; GDB switched entirely not too long ago.  They are typically trained for about 2 years, starting at 6 weeks of age.  Speaking only about GDB, as I don't know other schools, they typically get about a year of general obedience and more importantly socialization.  This basically means that someone gets a puppy and a little shirt for it that says guide dog in training and has to take it *everywhere*.  The more places the better; dog parks, movies, work, planes, etc.  The final part of the training is the actual guidework part, typically six months plus, followed buy meeting and working with you for the duration of the class, a somewhat unusual emotional experience wherein you learn to trust  your new guide dog not to, for example, help you find the concrete pole in a bad way but to instead go around it or stop and show it to you in a good one.  If you have partial sight, this may involve sleep shades.
As for avoiding other blind people, that's a two living organism job.  They will try, obviously, and if it happens frequently they will learn that they should move.  Again, dog specific, but they aren't trained to recognize blind people or anything; in fact, they don't even know that you are.
I believe i addressed working duration adequately above; to reiterate briefly, 7 to 8 years on average, sometimes earlier or later depending.  Going over 10 is rare, as is going under 4.

My Blog

2013-05-25 10:31:53

Hi all,
I don't have a guide dog myself yet, I have just applied for one, have seen several guide dogs my friends use, and I have started learning and asking my future dog trainer everything I could think of, so I will dare to enter the discussion as well, although, of course ,I have personal experience with and information about just Czech guide dog schools.
I think Camlorn and others have already said pretty much everything that's relevant in a very nice way, I would just like to say my two cents about the dogs recognizing or not recognizing blind people and about how good they are at avoiding being stepped on. Of course, you can't teach the dog to understand the very high-level abstract concept of blindness or anything like that. From my experience (I had a blind and partially deaf guy with a guide dog as a roommate for several months) and from what I have been told, though, they can very much learn to somehow intuitively or instinctively tolerate your handicap if they are intelligent enough, which most of them should be. For instance, even if they have not been trained to pick up your fallen things such as keys or the cane and give them back to you, most dogs, if they like bringing things to people, will do this quite happily, usually with just very little prior teaching involved. And they learn to make a noise, hit the floor with their tail or just get out of your way if you are getting near them. Basically, most dogs that I've either seen or heard of will either let you know that they are in your way or just get out of it. They will soon learn to understand that it's not by intention if you step on them, and if they lie down on the floor in a place where you usually walk, for instance, I believe they are even capable of understanding that it would in fact be their own fault if they allowed you to step on tem, to put it like this, so they just stand up and move over to their resting place if they see you approaching. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Of course, it would most likely take them some time and at least a few encounters to realize that another, so far new person has the same strange behavior as you, the dog's owner, so they need to be watched carefully and possibly avoided. :-D
On the other hand, when a guide dog realizes that someone else is blind as well, in this sense, they will usually be willing to guide them too, either following you and holding your arm or even when the other person is holding the handler directly in some cases, unless they dislike that other person really immensely for some reason. Although you would probably have to be near the dog yourself, some dogs would even be willing to obey the commands of the other person if they have already known them long enough so that they could start thinking of them as another member of their pack.
Some time ago, me and my girlfriend met this guy I was talking about when we haven't seem him for ages before. By coincidence, he had to attend a university exploration trip where he didn't want to take his dog with him, so he had let him at home, which we got to know only later. The dog was just obviously too keen to have him around again, so he was running around the place, jumping on us and doing other funny things just out of the pure joy. When we thought it was enough, though, and the guy was talking to someone else and he was not holding his dog's handler at that moment, my girlfriend picked it up for him just to be sure the dog would stay close. The instant he felt her picking up the handler, he immediately stood still, walked over to her left leg and assumed the proper working stance. To me, that's just incredible!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2013-05-25 12:58:15

Intelligent disobedience is an important part of a guide dog's training. Obviously you wouldn't want the dog to obey a Forward command to start crossing a street and there's cars coming. So the dog is trained simply to observe the street for cars and, if there are cars approaching, to simply not move. I've heard of other dogs who will actively block their handlers' paths if they start to cross at an unsafe moment, usually by leaning up against their legs and more or less force them to step back to a safer spot. I don't have a guide dog, partly because I don't cosider myself financially able to care for one. I'm also not the most active person. I've just never gotten any real pleasure out of walking for the sake of walking (I can't really enjoy the passing scenery), and I have an enormous propencity for getting lost while walking, even when I pay attention to landmarks and things. So I don't really see myself as a good candidate for a guide dog, even though I would like to get one someday.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-05-25 14:09:22

Hi Netta.

In the Uk that is quite strict. The guide dog association assess your dog eac year and the dog is retired at age 10, sometimes 11.

As regards keeping a dog, there is another side to it. Remember that that dog has likely been with it's owner close to 8 years, is very close, and thus expecting them to move home as well! as stop work seems deeply unfair. Some people do indeed give their dogs to someone else when retiring, but to me that just seems wrong.

My mum just kept her old dog, who was quite happy to be retired even though my mum had a new dog.

Myself, I don't think I could have another dog after Reever retires, since it simply would not be fair, though I might considder having her live with my parents if things work out that way since then I'd still see her a lot, she knows my parents incredibly well but i'd not have the trouble of having two dogs, indeed my flat would be too small for two dogs I think.

2013-05-25 15:05:18

Exactly. I don't think I'd be able to keep my dog after it retires, at least not if I should still happen to be living in fixed income housing. The reason for that is because I'm much more a cat person thanI am a dog person and I've found life without a feline companion to be qite downing indeed. So I'll always have a cat in my life as long as I have anything to say about it. The problemis tat Housing here in Twin Falls, whiletey will allow one pet and one service animal (the policy is one pet per residence and one service animal per member of a residence), I could not have two pets, and teretired dog would definitely qualify as a pet. I would, however, try to get the retiring guide placed with a friend or family member soI could still see him/her or at least keep up on how he/she is doing.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-05-25 18:01:00

The whole thing about fairness is totally backwards.  I know this sounds harsh, but it's true.  The dog will stop caring after a few weeks at the most.  Most of their mental process goes a bit like this: if I expose my chin just so, someone will scratch it.  If someone picks up my leash then I am going for a walk.  They don't have any memory of being taught this; they don't even have memory of yesterday.  They build up associations of cause to effect over time.  They don't have concrete memories and such and can bond to another person if needed.  We humanize them way, way too much these days; three hundred years ago, they were considered prized possessions.  I don't think viewing them as such is correct, but we've gone way, way too far the other way.  Your dog remembers you, probably by your scent, and associates you with petting and going for a walk; there can be, if you will, withdrawal when moving to a new owner, and they will remember you forever, but it isn't like us and our families.  I hesitate to use the word as, due to the Werewolf fiction and the like, it's got negative connotations and people think a lot of incorrect things when they hear it, but you are their alpha[1].  When their alpha changes, they get sad and depressed, but it passes after a little while, and they adjust just fine.
As for picking up on the fact that you're blind: they will, kind of.  They don't know why you need to be treated differently, but they ill learn both that they don't get in trouble for activities that are silent and that the puppy eyes and such don't work on you.  This isn't just guide dogs, it's other dogs too.  The unfortunate part is, they don't always move for you; some dogs don't care that you're going to run into them because it means attention.  The biggest mistake you can make is stopping and making a big deal out of it; the dog likes that, a lot.  Apologies are praise to them.

1: basically father-figure, or guidance, in this context.  A dog looks to the most experienced dog of the pack for safety and hunting and the like, and when you get a dog you take the place of said most experienced dog.  Unlike most dog fiction and werewolf fiction, this has almost nothing to do with being dominating and more to do with providing stability and clear guidance in a form they can understand.

My Blog

2013-05-26 22:29:58

Seeing Eye has a similar training cycle for their dogs. The puppies are raised by a "puppy raiser" for a year who teaches them basic obedience and exposes them to many different situations to try and get them comfortable with things they'll have to do with their future blind handler. They go back to the school for 4 months of training. Some dogs may need another 4 month training cycle to finish, but most are fully trained by the time they're 2 or thereabouts.

I think dogs, whether they're guides or not, can learn to move out of your way if they get stepped on enough times. I don't think it has anything to do with understanding that you're blind. They see you coming, get stepped on, repeat, and eventually, they figure out that it might be better to just move out of your way. I know my dog well enough to know where she's likely to be, so this doesn't happen too often. It also depends on the dog. My first dog didn't seem to care if she did get stepped on. She might jump up if I startled her while she was napping, but otherwise, she just laid there. Who knows. Some dogs are better at figuring things out than other dogs. Seeing Eye gives us this little bell that you clip to your dog's collar. We use it to teach them stay while they're not on a leash. The idea is if they break the stay, you'll hear the bell. Also, some people use it to make sure their dogs aren't getting into trouble the first few days they're allowed to freely roam the room. I heard a story about one dog that put the bell in her mouth and snuck out of the room while an instructor watched. Clearly the dog figured out that the noise made by the bell would get her caught, but does that mean the dog has a concept of their owner not having sight?

2013-05-26 23:26:27

@Camlorn, how much exactly have you had to do with dogs? frankly, your statements of mechanistic dog behaviour suggest not very much, indeed from your comments I gather that you are more reacting to centimentalist accounts of dogs in the media than actually anything based on experience.

Speaking as someone who has grown up with dogs, including personally training a puppy as well as being a guide dog owner living on their own, (I've also studdied animal psychology), I'd agree that it is not correct to humanise dogs as warewolf fiction does, however it is equally a mistake to go the other way and think of a dog simply as behaving only entirely selfishly or mechanistically.

Dogs do have a very strict higherarchical structure it is true, ---- though this occurs in some dogs more than others (jess, my staffordshire bull terrier was very higherarchical and I had to play a lot of pack leader games with her), however equally a dog does not behave simply! according to this higherarchy. A dog is quite able to recognize people, to have likings for certain people and not others, to have emotional reactions. Jessy indeed tended to think most people were a lower form of life accept me and my dad, and even if a person did! give her attention she was not in any sense interested.

Also, attention! does not simply mean paying attention, rather it actually means a form of communication, albeit communication expressed physically. you can see this when two dogs who are very close are together, Jessy indeed took on my mum's guide dog as her pup, and the attention jess gave to my mum's dog was quite unique, often fierce, but had distinct purpose, directing her to go certain places, making sure she was clean, making sure she got fed etc.

It is rue that a dog who is not! getting attention from their owners will specifically do things to get yelled at, but a dog can very much tell the way a person is feeling, at least in broard terms. This morning for example I was playing with reever with a rag toy. She accidently hit my finger with her teeth and I said "ou" she then instantly stopped playing, sat down on the floor and started looking up at me. When I went and sat down she came and laid her head on my lap, her ears back, clearly wondering if she'd done something wrong. yes, this is a standard dog behaviour and something puppies regularly do while playing, however to claime that the reasoning behind it is purely devicive is like saying all humans are selfish and the only reason you do something for someone else is when your going to get something out of it.

Also bare in mind that were dogs incapable of basic, logical judgements, they would be utterly incapable of any job such as guiding at all. This logic is instantanious, I can't imagine a dog doing higher mathematics, but does also mean a dog is quite capable of deciding and making judgements about things and about people.

Lastly as regards emotions and abandonment, well frankly you are just incorrect there.

When I was at university, I left jessy at home with my parents, often for months at a time, yet, whenever I got back, jessy instantly! knew who I was, was pleased to see me and became extremely attached to me personally. Furthermore, she is also the only dog I've ever known who I could actually speak to on the phone! most dogs, if they hear a familiar voice coming out of the phone, they'll assume the person is somewhere and run off and look for them, Jess however actually worked out that I wasn't there, yet at the same time she would be extremely pleased when i phoned, sit down and be attentive, even though she did not actually believe I was physically present.

As I said, while I agree humanising dogs is a bad idea, dehumanising! dogs is almost worse, especially when you are reliant on a dog for something as crytical as mobility. This is exactly why I talk of fairness in terms of dogs, since if you are physically responsable, and to a great extent emotionally responsable for a dog, you need to treat that dog responsably as well.

@jabawoki, I'm not sure whether a dog actually works out that it's owner is blind in the literal sense of lacking vision, but a dog is quite capable of working out a person's capabilities from watching their behaviour, whether they make eye contact, whether they walk into objects etc. My mum's guide dog (who is exceptionally intelligent), can even find objects if my mum drops something. Guide dogs over here give out bells, though they don't usually recommend people keep the bells on all the time since constant jangling can be a bit bad for the dog, mostly they recommend just using them when you give the dog a run. If I want to know where reever is I just need to call.

As to missbehaviour, well the best method is usually just to not let it happen, or to find the cause and stop it. Reever had a spate of steeling food, even getting up on her back legs on the surface. When however we changed her food to something more complete she was fuller and thus less desperate, so wouldn't risk the intensive amounts of trouble she'd get into if she tried getting up on the surface or taking something off a table, indeed reever is a fairly good dog generally in terms of obedience, (the stealing food thing was the only major hassle and that's well and truly fixed).

2013-05-27 00:25:28

I've had dogs since I was about 8 and a guide dog for about 3 years; I am not reacting to experiences gained only through books.  The memory of dogs is a tricky thing that is typically hard to quantify, mostly because they don't have English, but generally comes down to chains of conditionals and associations--x leads to y--with some fuzziness, hormones, and emotions thrown into the mix.  It is very, very easy to see behavior that isn't there and to misinterpret behavior; I, myself, am probably sometimes guilty of this.  It is important to realize that it isn't like us, though: their affections are different than ours.  I at no point said that you wouldn't be remembered but, unlike us, they don't dwell on the past.  I think it is a mistake to start wondering if it is fair to the dog to have a probably perfectly adequate and happy new home.  I do treat it pragmatically, yes.  Whether I do so too much, though, is up for debate.
Also, I'm not saying that Werewolf fiction is the cause of our society's humanization and--in some cases--reverence for dogs.  Quite the opposite; most of it I've read (when I haven't immediately deleted the book from my hard drive because, somehow, they're the height of romantic feelings and such) have done the opposite specifically to Werewolves.  I am merely hesitant to start throwing the word alpha around without some sort of disclaimer, as that is the main use of it for many people.  I think it important to distinguish the usage from Werewolf fiction and similar from what it actually is, especially since almost no one seems to use it in casual conversation.  If I hadn't said something, at least one person who saw my post would have gone away with the wrong idea of what a dog actually needs.

My Blog

2013-05-27 04:42:35 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2013-05-27 04:51:56)

Ah, I gotten a few of my questions answered. All this discussion about dog and guide dog behaviour is very interesting, however like I said I have never owned a dog. But based on understanding, we as humans hold the highest level of intelligence on planet Earth, and many of us want our dogs to be just as good as we are, but people often misconceive that. If dogs have the memory of a two-year-old, that would almost be the same as not being able to be aware of one's body and one's surroundings. I remember my memories from when I was two and everything was like if it was a dream. I knew they happened and I could feel and hear the things that went on, but I did not know what they were or how to associate them until I grew up and learnt to recognise what they were. But for a dog they are going to stay like that, in that state.
what about guide dogs interacting with other guide dogs, either while they are working or free? When you refer to someoen who first raises a guide dog as a puppy raiser, does that mean that someone owns a pack of dogs, and when someone has too many they decide to donate one to the nearest guide dog school and learn about how to train them as a puppy to get used to their surroundings and what they wil do?
There were a few things I was going to say but at the moment I forgot.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-05-27 06:41:09

Puppy raisers are a heartwarming and heart wrenching volunteer opportunity that involves, at least for GDB, getting a dog at 6 weeks old, training it to be a perfectly behaved and--almost--dog show ready canine, and then giving it up to go be trained in how to not run blind people into walls after developing an emotional bond and having it with you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for somewhere around 18 months.
More seriously, you do sign up for it and you don't breed the dog yourself.  The dogs, at least for GDB and I believe for many other schools, are bred by the school.  I know that GDB does some genetic research and breeds for traits that make good guide dogs.  I can't speak for other schools, but mine has their own breeding program, kennel, vet, etc.  They typically go from the school to a puppy raiser at 6 weeks of age.
The guide dog with other dogs stuff  is really hard to say as it depends on your dog, and I've answered this already I thought.  When free, they *are* a pet dog.  This means playing with other dogs.  You will play fetch with your guide dog and it will go, should such an opportunity present itself, play chase and the like with other dogs.  When working, it is supposed to ignore other dogs.  Emphasis on supposed; some dogs have a problem with this, some don't, but that's true for just about anything I could say about guide dog behavior.
When I say think two year old, this is a somewhat accurate picture, but only somewhat; their understanding of the world lacks metaphysics and a great number of things we find important don't even rate brain space.  Two year old is apt enough for this discussion, kinda, but being two as a human is nothing like the mental processes of your dog.  The point I was trying to make is that it is like having a two year old, both in how you have to handle them, what you can expect them to figure out on their own, and the kinds of things you have to do.  I'm going to be quite honest: there will be accidents that need cleaning up, there will be a few nights when you get woken at two AM to your dog vomiting, and some dogs insist on eating grass.  I've not heard of this last one in guide dogs, fortunately, but I'm sure it happens--we've had two regular dogs that have done it, did some reading on the subject, and it's apparently a normal behavior that they have to be trained out of.  They will continually test the boundaries, especially at first.  They don't have a great deal of imaginative creativity nor a concept of long-term vengeance, otherwise they'd drive us all out of our minds with the things they figure out how to do.  It's like a two year old, but not really; in some ways they have more mental abilities, in others they have less.  It's the best analogy I've found for those quick elevator conversations, though, and gives a good feel for what's involved, especially for the first few months.  O, and BTW, I've not personally actually had a two year old--something I should probably mention at this point.  Think more the proverbial two year old, here.

My Blog

2013-05-27 09:10:33

@Casta, the system works similarly in the Uk, however they are with the puppy walker (as they're called over here), for roughly 14 months, and will spend three to four months in training at a center before being matched with someone applying for a dog, which is doing very much on personality and life style.

I'm not convinced on the two year old front either Camlorn. A two year old has little physical concept of their body in space, hence why they fall down while walking etc, plus a two year old has a far shorter attention span than most guide dogs.

Dogs have to have a physical concept of themselves and where there own body is otherwise they could not perform the logical judgements necessary to involve guiding. Also, I'm not convinced on dogs and the past either, simply because I've seen dogs react to very long ago memories or people they should not naturally recognize if their memory process was as short as you suggest, indeed again the fact of guiding and what I've seen some guide dogs learn would disagree with this, Zia my mum's dog for example can! actually be told a place name and go there without any other prompting even if it has been a long time since she went.

While you are likely correct about reminiscence, again this is difficult to think of without language since much of the thoughts we ourselves use to structure past experience are based upon linguistic knolidge of what happened when, for example I have memories from when I was two, but can only place their origin with reference to other events that were going on at the time.

Also bare in mind dogs can and do attribute emotional states to other people and beings, Jessy deffinately knew! what I was feeling in broard emotional terms, which is something most two year olds have difficulty wity with.

As I said, humanising dogs is a bad idea I agree, but to me your analysis goes far too far the other way particularly in seeing dogs as so exclusively mechanistic. Alpha is a roll, not a familial description, something more akin to lead in a play or head weightor. It is something that naturally occurs to some extent but which you yourself put yourself into, which is why it's not usually something that occurs in conversation, and usually when a dog is emotionally close to you you rarely need to play those games anyway, they are mostly only used to show who is in control.

And as regards fairness I'm afraid I do simply disagree, since if you have! had a working relationship with your dog, then it is! unfair to simply harp the dog off elsewhere. Dogs are adaptable, but so are humans, but that doesn't necessarily automatically make it right.

Perhaps you are less close to your dog, which might explain the situation, though I will say having a very close bond does! aide with guiding or any other form of training since it makes the dog far happier to do what is asked, and to learn new things.

2013-05-27 17:43:43

I don't know.  I think you're going too far the other way, but there's really no telling and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  I am close to my dog, I just don't see all the somewhat human traits.  The problem is that just about anything they do can be attributed to any number of alternative motivations, and it's difficult to prove which is the right one.  By my nature, I don't pick the ones that place my dog into the four legged human category; whether this is a fault in me or the correct approach is heavily, heavily debatable.  Most things I've managed to find on the subject seem to indicate that my approach is right in terms of their mindset, but it is possible that there's a whole second body of literature that says it's completely wrong.  Proceeding, at least with a trained dog, using the humanizing perspective of dog psychology will generally work, so long as it's not taken too far.
yes, alpha is a roll and is typically not needed with a guide dog; you don't have to do typical alpha behavior with them.  I still think that they look to me as their alpha, however, as they themselves don't quite have a concept of parents, not in the way we do.  The standard idea of alpha equals aggressive pack leader, though, is very incorrect.  Trying such behavior won't actually get you anywhere with most dogs, as it just makes the dog get aggressive right back at you.  I do not try playing dominance games with my guide dog, nor do I recommend it; most dogs don't need that and prefer that you show your strength in other ways.  Saying father is also inaccurate; again, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Trying to put words to how your dog sees you is always going to have this flaw (I'm seen as x but...).  If you have anything good on the subject that you can link Dark, I'm willing to read it.
I do believe they have sadness/happiness, and the like, I just think it's different enough from ours that we shouldn't assume that they are sad/happy for the same reasons.  And perhaps I was too harsh in my posts above.  I am not saying they are emotionless robots by any means, but think it very important to remember that they are not emotional humans by any stretch of the imagination.
And yes, two year old is not accurate.  It is still a good analogy that saves writing an essay on the subject.  If someone really wants an essay on the subject, well, just put all the posts I've made together and add an introduction.  For someone who has never had a guide dog, or never a dog in general, it's close enough to at least give some idea.  If someone has a better one-again, I'm open to ideas, know it's not accurate, but have still failed to find a better one.

My Blog