2012-12-21 10:24:37

Hi all,

i would like to announce the release of my first Audio Game called 'the freQ'.
It exercises pitch perception, memory and reflexes in a unique musical way.
It is fully accessible, does not need installation, just unzip and double click on the .exe.
Current versions work on all windows-pcs and instructions language is english.
You can find a free demo version and a paid full version here:
http://www.we-play.gr
in the section 'downloads'

CONCEPT:
Player first chooses a frequency and then tries to identify his chosen frequency among others in incoming streams.

This is my first Audio Game and I am looking forward to your comments, suggestions and support!
Enjoy!

QUESTION: How can I include my Audio Game in the Game List of this site? Their contact form doesn't seem to work

thanks

2012-12-21 10:59:57

Hi.

thanks for letting us know about your game.  Generally, the process of getting it into the db is that myself or one of the other editers plays it and writes up a page and entry for it,  assuming it is a full game and not a  practice game (see The db guidelines found here for details)). 

I'll have a look at   your game now.

Welcome to the site, and thanks a lot  for looking into  creating audio games.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-21 11:35:00

Okay, i've tried the game. Very nice idea and the uses of sound are quite unique, I particularly like the way you have a large range of frequencies to choose .

I do still have a few questions however. Firstly,  whatever option I used within the game, it started the demo, even when I used instructions or about, which was a little confusing sinse I began with a speaker  test to check my headphones were on right as indeed I usually do when playing an audio  game. This was a slight shame because one thing I distinctly wanted to know was a little more about how the full version differed from the demo version, for instance is the demo version an example of the full version played at one difficulty  level or with one soundscape?    I'd actually appreciate knowing this before starting the db entry sinse in our game descriptions we do try to give people an idea of the differences betwene demo and full versions of games, and that might be rather usefull information to have.

It might also  be nice to know a little more about the exact frequency your working with, particularly when it corresponds to musical notes, indeed I noticed a perfect A in there, and it could be  a rather nice game  for people to improve their sense of pitch and musical ear  if they could be notified when they were working  with a specific note, indeed if it had such a feature it could be very usefull for teaching music, as well as a challenge for everyone else.

You might also considder expanding it with some of the features that some other point styling arcade type games have used in the past, such as  achievements or making higher difficulties unlocked by  completing  lower ones.  such things aren't manditory of course, but other arcade point scoring style games have used them in the past as a way of getting people to play longer.

either way, nice game, a very unique idea, and thanks a lot for letting us know about it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-21 16:25:16

Hi!

How can I download the game? I had a look on the site
http://www.we-play.gr/
and if I click the link for the downloads nothing happens.

Thanks for helping!

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2012-12-21 16:29:07

The "free demo" link after hitting the FreQ button is where you download the  demo of the game.

2013-01-22 03:23:04

Hey, so I tried the windows version and and having no problems with it. Now, with the IOS version, when I run it it kicks me right back to the home screen. I found out thanks to some sighted help that it does say we play on the screen then nothing happens after that. I'm using IOS6.1 apparently the last release that was available for update. I have the 5 generation ITouch and I'm starting the game with voiceover on. Any help? Please don't say the games just for iphone! Don't want 99 cents going to waste!

2013-01-22 14:36:30

Well, i tried it on my 3gs, but suddely it's too old device to handle the game, so... but i was able to see menues without any problem.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-01-23 01:04:47

Hi all ! Sry for so late reply, but I had some health issues that kept me away from internet connection for the past month.. hmm
Now i m ok and happy to see posted answers to my post..so:

@Dark
''whatever option I used within the game, it started the demo, even when I used instructions or about''
I think that occured because hitting the space bar always starts the game. the way to navigate through the options
(testing your speakers, setting your lives, your difficult level, etc,,) is by using only the arrows.
Up and Down arrows change the options and Left and Right arrows change the settings of these options or let you listen to some useful info.
The voice at start of the game lets you know that, but perhaps it's not clear enough. Anyway, pressing the space bar while at the main 'page' always starts the game.
''I distinctly wanted to know was a little more about how the full version differed from the demo version''
The differences between the demo version and the full one are not mentioned inside the game, but at my website.
The full version features 60 points instead of 20, has 2 more difficulty levels, where the smallest difference between your chosen frequency and the possible 'hostile' ones are one semitone and one microtone (1/4 of a musical tone) respectively, and features also a highscore memory for player's top performance in each level. My very useful meeting with the people of the Panhellenic Blind Organisation in Greece gave me wonderful feedback and showed me the need to implement a highscore module to my game. In general the goal is for someone to have a satisfactory game experience even if only trying the demo version and if he likes it a lot then to go to the full version.
''It might also  be nice to know a little more about the exact frequency your working with, particularly when it corresponds to musical notes''
this feature would indeed be very useful and will be implemented into a later version of the game. Currently the goal is to divide the acoustic range roughly between 40Hz and 16000Hz into 821 equal steps, so the precise western music division of note-pitches is ignored.

I'll have a look at the db guidelines you posted and i thank you a lot for your comments and suggestions! smile
hope my reply has been explanatory about your questions

2013-01-23 01:16:13 (edited by binardhal 2013-01-23 01:32:42)

@jack and @seal
the iPhone version works only for iPhone 4 and 4s sad
this is mentioned in the page of the game on iTunes right at start and with capital letters.
the reason that I can't update to a newer version for later or previous iPhone versions than those is that the frequencies are not pre-recorded but are generated in real-time. To achieve this I had to use not only Xcode but other external programs as well, which work only with iPhone 4 or 4s.
Sadly I dont see me fixing this in the future, since I will be developing Audio games for pc now and later for mac.
Though compatibility is being mentioned in the iTunes text, the least I can do for your inconvenience is to send you the full pc verison for free - just contact me through the website contact form and I see into it! smile

2013-01-23 01:32:11

@Dark
Just now I saw 'the freq's entry into your db of audio games!
You have made me very happy smile thank you!

2013-01-23 01:49:58

About the iOS, there is also a free short demo version of the freq named 'the freq - Lite' ,
which is not mentioned in the db review.
Feel free to try it, but like the full version it works only for iPhone 4 and 4s!

2013-01-23 04:33:20

Hi,
Darn it then I'm screwed! Well, the thing is, the app store used to have descriptions and now for some reason on my IOS5 it only has the app screen shots, company and genre!
mad
So basically what you mean is, to make up for the 99 cents I spent and didn't get anything for, you'll send me the full windows version instead? I don't want my 99 cents to go to waste! I doubt there's a refund option in the app store, so yes the full version for windows would definitely! be nice to have since I did pay the money but got no good result. Oh and if I did understand you right here's the contact stuff! I'm of course available for a pm, and if you'd want it even more secure, my direct email is [email protected]. I don't mind spending money to support you, but I do mind not knowingly having a bad result.

2013-01-23 09:33:18

@jack
done ! Enjoy!

2013-01-23 09:44:33

Jack: Please go to the updates tab in the Ap store, click on purchased and redownload the game. then you'll get it. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-01-23 15:04:40

Got it now. Thanks!

2013-01-23 15:13:02

Hi,
@jack: you have to double tap the app name to get to description now.
@barnehdl: why only pc? I purchased the FreQ on iOS because it was generally easier, as I could do so without sighted help to enter card numbers and such, as my apple ID is already configured.

2013-01-23 18:50:21

Hi.
Sorry Jack, I think we misunderstood what you was telling about the IOS version.
I've just downloaded, and re-downloaded the lite version, but it won't run. The app just closes and take me back to the home screen. What's wrong? Well, the app haven't been updated for long time, but I've never seen any other app do this. As I said, I've redownloaded it to make sure it got installed correctly. I didn't thought Apple accepted apps which crashes like this. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2013-01-23 23:30:45 (edited by binardhal 2013-01-23 23:43:41)

Hi all smile
@aaron:
the main reason why i switched from developing an Audio Game for iOS to developing for Pc was my meeting with many blind people at the Panhellenic Blind Association here in AThens, Greece one year ago. I presented them the iOS version, which was then just released and a not-yet-fully developed prototype for pc. They were excited about the Pc version! I was told that blind and visually impaired players don't really use cell phones much to play games, but prefer the Pc instead. Furthermore, the iOS version is not fully accessible, because players have to tap buttons to get the game started and going. It was then that I decided to develop the fully accessible Pc version, where once the .exe is launched, everything can happen only through Sound and key stroke reactions! That's also the reason why I didn't post the iOS version to this forum back then, but waited for another year, until I had the pc version ready. The only disadvantage is inserting the credit card number to make the purchase..i know..but my goal was for someone to be able to have a nice and challenging gaming experience even with the free demo and purchase the full version via credit card as an expansion and a sign of support smile
@aaron and @SLJ:
when the iOS version was launched, it was working perfectly well with the 4 and 4s iPhones and still does, that's why Apple accepted it. Now in order to have the sound generated real time for better and less predictable soundscapes, i didnt use any pre-recorded samples, which would have to be a limited number to keep the App size small. So I implemented external frequency generators to generate frequencies in real time, which didn't work any more when Apple updated their models and software. I don't have the technical knowledge to update my game engine when Apple updates happen (and that's quite often) and my company is a one-man-company, so I switched to Pc which is my domain. My phd is also on Audio Games for Pc, so there isn't much time for iPhone developing and it sadly works only for iPhone 4 and 4s.. sad Also, many people here in Greece have the iPhone 4 and 4s models and not the more modern ones.
Nevertheless, because of my research, I m interested in any feedback about accessibility and gameplay and of course I will post my phd here once its ready to be tested. It is a very ambitious and unique Audio Game and of course it will be free to download!
@jack:
ok, got your mail reply smile

2013-01-24 01:57:56

Really great work there. I love this small and great ambitious project. Waiting for more from you!

Cheers

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-01-24 09:53:35

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I don't agree that there aren't many blind gamers who play games on their iPhones. There are extremely many blind folks who have an iPhone, and I think most of them do play games on them, of course only if games have their interests.
You're right that there are more blind people who have a pc than an iPhone. If you're able to do that, you should consider making cross platform games so people can play your games on their Mac and Linux computers. smile Keep up the good work.

Best regards SLJ.

2013-01-24 21:28:48

Hi,
I wold like to say that the FreQ on the iPhone is 100% accessible, as it supports the voiceover screen reader. You launch the game, select start, then use the plus and minus buttons to change frequency then when you're ready, start the game and turn voiceover off and it works fine.

2013-01-27 00:22:18

hi. This sounds like a great game. I haven't a clue when it comes to setting it up on other things. It sounds good though

2013-01-29 14:26:03

@cool_gamer
hi and thanks for comment!
What do you mean ''setting it up on other things''? perhaps i can help you smile

2013-01-31 00:09:32

Hi Binardhal,
Well, there are a lot of blind gamers that have IPhones, and lots of accessible games. As for menus Aaron is right though you can make it more accessible so you can use it without voiceover. Take audio invaders for example. The menu is designed to be fully accessible. Basically, the buttons are just laid out in areas on the screen, but they don't just activate right away. To select an option you touch that part of the screen and it'll say something like, play, release to play. When you're ready you let go to activate it. That same thing can be used with things like the freq and other games you make on IOS. But even without the accessible menu the game would work fine when voiceover is active, just as long as the buttons are labeled properly. Maybe about a year or 2 ago there wasn't much to do on IOS as far as accessible games, but now there is. Applevis.com is a great website for both mac and IOS accessible apps.

2013-02-02 10:50:03

@jack
Thank you, i 'll check Applevis.com out