2006-12-28 21:59:35

Speech in set up of an OS is awkward. You can't have it automatically start, otherwise we would need an entirely dedicated disc... but selecting an option to start it is also awkward.

The only OS I know of that appears to have speech in install is Linux, but then that is community developed anyhow.  Anyway, is the sound driver loaded at this stage?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-12-28 22:07:53

Hi

OK, I'm going to help you everybody so you can install Vista by booting from DVD without any sighted assistance, since I've done this for lots of times (of course without JAWS or Narrator).
First, when you press a couple of Enters to start the installation, when asked for a product key, you just press Enter and then the letter O for not entering a product key. If you wish to enter a key, type it without dashes and press Enter. If you don't enter a key, you will be prompted to choose an edition of Vista. Just type in "Windows Vista Ultimate" without quotes in rappid succession, press TAB and then Spacebar. Press ALT+N combination for Next Button. To accept the agreement, press the spacebar, then TAB, then spacebar again. If nothing happens, press ALT+N. Now, on the next screen, press ALT+C forCustom or ALT+U for Upgrade. Since I always do a custom install,I don't know what to do while upgrading. When you press ALT+C for Custom, on the next screen, arrow down to a partition on which you wish to install Vista and press ALT+N. If a partition already has Windows installed, press Enter once to delete old copy of Windows and install Vista, or press TAB Enter to activate Cancel and move back to a list of partitions. After three reboots, Vista is waiting to enter your user name. Type it and press ALT+N. Type your computer name, and press ALT+N again. Now, press enter for about 3 or 4 times, and wait for your system to be set-up successfully. You are almost done!

2006-12-28 22:13:56

Also, if you can't run JAWS on Vista, try Window-Eyes 6.0, although I think there are still Video problems on WE6 as well. May be FS and GWMicro will wake up and do something, since year 2007 is here, and Vista is here! I'm ready to switch to the First screen reader supporting Vista!
Regards
Hrvoje

2006-12-28 22:33:28

Thanks a lot for those instructions. It will not only help me, but other blind people who try to install Vista in the future.

By the way, after the second stage of setup (username / computer name), you can press windows+u to start utility manager.  Since the second stage already runs a working Windows, it can start applications.

As for Vista launch:

On january 29, 2007, Microsoft (and it's Vista employees) will celebrate the release of Vista and office 2007. This event is called " Wow starts now ", and will be held in New York. Millions of Vista fans / developers will be there. Vista is known as the biggest Windows launch ever. Really.

Regards:

tomi

2006-12-28 23:53:59

Well unfortunately, I can't use Utility Manager during setup since my Sound Card support is not installed and recognized immediately. And, of course, Vista is the best operating system I have ever used in my 20-year-long lifetime *smyle*. Faster then XP, with more security, multimedia, reliability, Internet, networking and other great features, Vista is a winner!
Oh, BTW: Does anybody had this problem - User Name, Computer and Network icons sometimes disappear from the desktop, so I need to use Manage Desktop Icons to return them back to my desktop. I think this is a bug, since this is not so often in XP. Also, once happened to me that accidentaly Vista changed my sound scheme from Default to Default (2), and nothing was heard. Now I have build 6.0.6000.16386. And my last question, what type of USB flash drive should I use for Ready Boost. I have one, but it wont work with Ready Boost neither in RC2 and RTM. So, will I need a faster Flash drive, or may be newer? Please help me on this!
Enjoy Vista
Hrvoje

2006-12-29 04:09:56

Hello all.

Today, dec 28, I will begin what I call is the lookback phase of my Vista years.

My hole Vista experience started on may 22, 2005. This was wen I downloaded build 5048 (illegally, of course). This was build 5048. The first build after the reset.

Ever since then, I tested build 5112, build 5270, build 5308, build 5381, build 5600, and now build 6000. I will now reinstall all of these builds (except beta 2, which was so bad that I gave it back to my cousin). I will use each build for about 3 days, and analyse it. (how was performance? What features existed that don't exist today? ) And wen wow starts now begins, (jan 29, 2007), I will post a " windows Vista reevaluation " topic, where I tell my results, give a little mini review of the build in question, and give my full opinions on Vista and it's developement.

So, stay tuned for that. It's time to install build 5048!

Regards:

tomi

2006-12-29 13:19:00

Hi,
I have a question about installing windows xp:
When i put the CD rom in my CD - rom drive, can i press windows key plus u to get narrator up during install?
thanks.

2006-12-29 15:14:38

If booting from CD, you cannot use Narrator during the installation, since sound card is not installed at this point, and also, the first part of the installation runs in DOS mode. However, if you install XP from any other Windows version, you can use JAWS during the installation until the first restart, and you can configure to have Narrator speaking during the installation (of course if the sound card is detected immediately).
HTH
Hrvoje

2006-12-29 20:55:56

Of course if you aren't careful the win XP install could always repartition your hard drive, resulting in the loss of your installed authorisation key.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-12-30 10:57:21

Hi,
I have Windows XP installed al ready, but I want to install it again to make some changes to the install. So will narrator work if i press windows U?
Thanks.

2006-12-30 14:50:42

this question has already been answered. read the topic!!!!!!

2006-12-30 22:22:00

I won't post on this off topic again after this:
If you only want to change installed components you can do it through the add/remove programs box. Otherwise you're looking at a full install, but I can't think of any reason the average user would want to reinstall unless their system screwed up.

cx2
-----

2006-12-30 23:25:22

yep.

In Vista, add/remove programs has been renamed to programs. Oops. I should of mentioned that in my review.
as for hrvoje:

That bug you mentioned does not happen to me. It sounds strange, though. Reminds me of win98 and active desktop, where by if you restarted you're system, a very annoying " to restore you're desktop, click this button " page came up.

By the way, Vista isn't as good as people think:

1. What happened to hyper terminal?

2. what about the communications menu in accessories?

3. Isn't there an easier way to make a new connection (without the network and sharing center)?

4. Why the heck is there a " run..." option in accessories?

5. Control panel is too cluttered (50 items wen you install Vista) come on! Can't we be more tighty?

6. Sound recorder. I just hate it! You can't edit the sound (remove after current position) / why does it save in wma file format?

7. Disk defragmenter. I hate it as well! Why is there no pause/stop button? What about defragmenting seperate partitions? Come on!

8. The new start menu. I hate it as well. You press a key, and a stupid " search" box comes up and starts searching you're computer. Jeese.

That's all for now that I can find off the top of my head. Vista is great, yes, new features / better security, but it does have drawbacks.

Regards:

tomi

2006-12-31 03:58:10

Sound recorder had already been made nigh on useless in another version, can't remember whether it was ME or XP. It had a limit on the size of the sound you could use, which was smaller than most wav files.

cx2
-----

2006-12-31 12:26:24

cx2: this is not true. i could load a 700 mb wav file in. yes, that's right, guys, 700, mb!

2006-12-31 20:39:20

Yes, but you failed to mention which version of Windows this was. I'm sure either ME or XP had this issue, and I don't recall which. I was simply stating that Microsoft jiggering up sound recorder on purpose is nothing new.

cx2
-----

2007-01-01 16:15:50

oh. i use windows xp, and i think sound recorder rocks for mixing things, but, goldwave is just to hard to use for mixing. it's fine for recording though.

2007-01-02 01:45:00

yes, the time limit in sndrec32 is bad, but y can always restart recording (press record button again) and you get another 2 minutes. As for loading files, sound recorder can load files that are as big as you're free ram (if you have 320 mb free, then you can load about 320 mb of sound).

Vista's sound recorder only saves in wma, (with no time limit), you can't playback what you recorded (you have to play it with wmp), you can't mix, and you can't edit the file. How stupid.

yo

Regards:

tomi

2007-01-02 04:33:25

Okay, it was the time limit on recording I was thinking of. I wasn't trying to spark any kind of argument or debate, I was just pointing out that Microsoft never really gave the sound recorder any kind of priority and wasn't afraid to mess about with it. In the grand scheme of things it isn't really important in the slightest because anyone working with audio files should have some other software anyway.

cx2
-----

2007-01-09 12:23:58

Well, XP's sound recorder is much more accessible then Vista's. And, when we talk about Vista things we hate, I also hate some of the changes found in Vista. Here's a list of them:
1. Where's volume control? It's no longer in system tray. It's now too complicated and too hard to change device volume, microphone volume, stereo mix, line in, and microphone boost. Nothing is the same like in XP when we talk about volume control dialog in XP, and volume control dialog in Vista.
2. Changing wallpaper, theme, screen saver etc. was much easier in XP. I just press CTRL+TAB to move through controls in Display dialog, and use up-down arrow to switch between wallpapers. Now I must TAB for hundreds of times to choose wallpaper in a list. But, one good thing is that now in Vista I can change desktop background by pointing to a picture in Windows Explorer, and choose that option from context menu.
3. Power options - also much easier to operate in XP, and really complicated in Vista.
4. Windows Explorer - 100-times to press TAB until you find a list view (May be I should turn off some tool bars).
5. An ugly bootscreen.
6. In Vista, Shutdown is back! But Turn Off dialog in XP was much better for me, since in XP are buttons, and no radio buttons, so I don't need to choose "turn off" followed by Enter. I just press U and it turns off, R and it restarts, etc. In vista, I need to press S once or twice to choose "shutdown" and then Enter. To make it easier, I choose "shutdown", press the end key, and press Enter.
7. I can't share my Vista files on a Network with an XP computer. When I try to access my Vista computer from XP on a Network, my XP machine gives me a nice error message.
8. My sound card is not supported, so I need to install an XP driver, and it's really hard to install.
9. DVD Maker not working with video cards that are XDDM. I don't see a reason why it cannot work! And, this is the only bundled Vista application not working at me.
10. Too big hardware requirements.
Well, these are 10 things I don't like in Vista, but I can live with it, however! However, I like new version of Narrator in Vista. Now I can change SAPI voices, while in XP's Narrator, I can use only MS Sam, really bad quality voice for me.
Regards
Hrvoje

2007-01-09 17:01:43

Well I anticipate FS and the other manufacturers making adjustments for windows explorer. Unfortunately I'm not sure they would go to the trouble with most of the other issues, I'm glad I never planned on moving up from XP.

cx2
-----