2006-10-07 21:09:49 (edited by tomi 2006-12-03 02:23:59)

Hello blind community! This is Tomi, or, Thomas Geczy with another Vista Review, this time on RC 1/rtm. As promised. Background: On september 2006, Microsoft released a new vista build to the world and called it rc 1. Which stands for Release candidate 1. Microsoft stated that it will support the rc build with updates and fixes through Windows Update until may 2007. So, I thought, why not get my hands on a dvd? On october 1, 2006, I purchased a vista rc 1 dvd directly from Microsoft for 5 dollars. It was told that the product would ship in two weeks, it I was very sad but hoped that it would come before that time. And it did. Today, As we were looking through the mail, the vista dvd came. It was neatly packaged. And I began to work and install Vista right away, folks.

Note: This review has updated several times. Microsoft Relased the rtm (release to manufacturing) version of Vista on november 8, 2006. I have tested out rtm, and did not see a big difference between rc1. I will include some minor differences between the builds (5600/6000) as the review goes on.

system info:

Ram: 1 gb

cpu: intel core duo t2500 running at 2 ghz

laptop

screen: ati mobility radian x1400, 256 mb ram.

bluetooth included? yes.

harddrive: 80 gb
sound: high definition audio. So, let's begin this very long review and see what has changed since beta 2! 

It is the same, pop in dvd, install now, next, go online to get the updates, enter product key, agree to the license, and click the upgrade button. Uninstall programs that are listed in the incompatible programs list. Wait 10 minutes until the set up copies the dvd contents on your system ( really, Microsoft, why do you do this?)
By the way, when I installed the rtm build, the "incompatible programs list" was empty. Yes. All my software work with Vista rtm. In rc1, I had like 14 items in this list. This prooves that the guys at Microsoft have been working hard on compatibility.

Install took about 30 minutes, a very big decrease from the one hour or so it took for beta 2.

changes at first sound:

When you start windows, you hear the windows xp start up theme (if you have the rtm build, they've actually added a new vista sound scheme). But then, you start narrator, you will notice that a log on to user window pops up. Here you just press enter on the username you want to log on to or just type your password.
To start the "ease of access center", press windows u. Notice that The logon window has signifacantly changed. If you close the ease of access center window, a button called "ease of access" appears in the logon window which starts it up again.

Those pesky " windows security " windows are now gone at start - up. Yes, that was one thing I hated and beta 2 because they made narrator " crash " . Thanks, Microsoft, credits to you!

JAWS and windows vista:

Sad news for you. Jaws 7.1/8.0 still does not work with Vista. It generates an error report (only if you performed an upgrade). If you do a custom install though, JAWS works with Vista (if you have an xp display driver model). If you're display uses vddm (vista display driver model), then an "jaws video intercepting" window will appear. You can click "install video intercepting" as many times as you want, but you will get a general error message stating that intercepting could not be installed.   Just as in Beta 2. But the good part is that if you did perform an upgrade,  you can use the runtime jaws, in \ program files \ freedom scientific \ runtime jaws \ 7.10(or 8.0, if you have it)\jfw.exe. That's great! Ok, it runs in 40 minutes, but so what? Though I cannot use the JAWS cursor or virtual viewer do to the fact the JFW does not load video intercepting. But it is still good with Vista, nice and fast.

games:

Ok, finally, I was able to run Purble place. In this game, on the easy dificulty, you have to make a person ( by selecting eyes, nose, and mouth ) , the hard difficulty you have to mao cakes ( it's called comfie cakes ) or the medium difficulty ( called purrble pairs ) you have to match cards, like in a memory game.

Microsoft now put in sounds so that the blind may know if you have matched a card or failed. Nice. Jaws reads the columns and rows still. Right arrow to move to a column and down to move to a row..

Simple as that.

A new game, ink ball is where you hav to stop balls from
entering a hole.  It is not accessible with jaws, of course since
the balls are different color.

Spider solitaire works, too.  I just don't know how to play it.
Troopanum 2: This game, works games, works too.  I did not notice
any more clear sound / or sound effects that are unusual.

I have posted a "vista game compatibility list", where I list a list of working/not working games. If you're a game developer, I recommend you look at this.

Windows calendar: This application does not work.  When I open
it, I get into weird edit boxes that I cannot figure out.
It's supposed to be a way to create/modify appointments. Each user can have his/her own appointment list and can manage them individually.

Windows mail: Just as usual, Windows mail works fine.  It is
great.  Well not really, it's just like an enhanced version of
outlook express with junkmail filters, and domain blocking (you can block all mail coming from any domain, e.g: .com). A list of domain endings are   in the outlook options. Ahem, windows mail options, I mean.   It uses the same exact
interface as outlook.

Internet explorer: Works fine with Jaws ( even the runtime ) . It's the same version as what you can download for xp, but includes protected mode, which supposed to protect you from active-x controls that can harm you're system. If you turn this mode off, you get a stupid information bar message stating that "protected mode is turned off" and recommending you to turn it on again.

windows media player 11: works ok.  Some of the buttons need
labeling.  Now, it does not take 100 minutes for me to set it up.
Wmp's interface is almost like wmp 10's is. Curiously, wmp cannot sync with Microsoft's Zune mp3 player, which is sad. (as my friend said, it seems as though microsoft is contridicting they're own self.". Nor can it sync with Apple's Ipod. This no doubt, will lead people to switching to ITunes. Wmp includes some music stores, which you have the option of setting up right away.

Windows Media center: Windows media center allows you to record live tv using a tv tuner card. It also allows you to play dvd movies. if you own an Xbox,  you can stream audio to the xbox, and it'll be played from it. This is done with Media center.
3 sample recorded tv movie clippings come with vista:
opolo 13
Jewls of the Caribian
verdigo

Media center is easy to control. When you start it up, you are asked for expressed or custom setup. Once you click finished, you are taken to the main mc window, where you can watch recorded tv, or live tv. You use you're arrows to move between these buttons. if you click recorded tv, a list box appears with a list of recorded tvs. With the left and right arrows;;, move through the box. Press enter on a movie, and there will bbe  a play button,, or restart / resume button if you have been playing a show allready.

Bluetooth file transfer wizard: This nice little application
allows you to send file with bluetooth.  Although I could not use
it to send a file to my braillenote, it is easy to use. Well it seems to be.

Windows Contacts: this is supposed to be a replacement for the
windows address list.  Well just so you know, it is not
compatible with JAWS.  I get into the list of contacts, but
cannot move through them.  Weird.  Also, their's no menu bar.

Windows Meeting Space: This program, also called Windows
Collaboration, replaces net meeting.  You can set up meetings or
join new existing ones.  I start this program, click yes,
continue setting of Windows meeting space, but then jaws doesn't
say anything, but remains silent.  Later I found out that  this
is because of User Account control.  The program itself is
compatible with JAWS and uses buttons.  So no work there for FS
and MS.  Well not much.

Control panel: As I mentioned, Microsoft remade control panel by
including common tasks in to it.  A few bugs here and there
still.  Like, there is something called " explorer web view paine
" in which the links  like Switch to Classic view are.  Using the
left and right arrows you can click these links.  Classic view is
still out there.  I prefer this rather than the xp style link
panel. Control panel includes 58 items. You can configure bit locker (a drive incription utility that uses the tpm chip of you're computer if you have one (trusted platform module)). Tpm is a new technology that "monitors" you're hardware and notifies you if the hardware has changed. You can incript you're hard-drive with a password that's actually stored in the chip itself.
It also includes icons for windows sideshow, a new hardware device that's going to hit the market soon (some devices do support sideshow). This is a display, very small, that you can connect to you're pc. If you want a display that is as big as a laptops, and don't want to connect a huge monitor, you can use sideshow. Cellphones would also work with this feature, though the screen would be very small. 
Microsoft has also remade the network connections into a new center, called "network and sharing center". This center is you're one-stop place to configure wireless / wired networks, and a new connection. You also have the option to configure a wireless router.  Microsoft has also enhanced it's windows diagnostics tool, which in xp can diagnose connections problems. Now, in vista, windows even displays what could be going wrong. For instance, if you're wired network is not working, windows says "you're router or network hub may be preventing you from connecting to the internet". Each issue has it's own button, and pressing space on this button brings help and support, displaying step-by-step instructions in solving that problem.
There's also a mobility center in control panel. This can also be accessed from the start menu (programs/accessories/system tools). If you own a laptop, here you can turn off wireless networking, change you're computer's volume, and turn on presentation mode.

The power options has also changed, with new power plans (ballenced is one of them). Wen you open up power options, you get into a link-like window. You can either change what the power buttons do, change power settings, or changed advanced settings. You can now change the display brightness of you're laptop for you're current power plan. This allows you to save you're batterry.
Security center didn't change, though now the antivirus protection button has been renamed to "malware protection", giving it a more general look. If you have more then one security problem with you're system, instead of displaying one systray icon for each problem, windows simply says "there are  multiple security issues with you're computer. Click here to solve them". So it removes clutter.
You can also configure windows sideBar (a quick way to display useful information on you're taskbar, which is not compatible with jaws), add new gadgets to it, or change what gadgets display in the sidebar pane of the taskbar.

User account control ( uacc ) : This was called user account
protection in previous builds.  Unfortunately, JAWS does not work
with UAC windows and acts as though it was frozen.  You need to
hit tab twice and press space.  The application you want will
open after this, however jaws will act as though it was reading
continuously.  It will not cut off speech if you press tab or
something.  Great.  Just move slowly among the buttons.  And do
not hit tab like 1000 times or else you will fall asleep on JAWS
repeating itself.
With narrator, the program can't even handle applications started in uacc. It just won't speak that application. If you quit the app, narrator comes back by saying "initalizing narrator".

Disk defragmenter: This program has been totally remade.  It has
a different user interface.  Now, you can schedule a
defragmmentation for a day.  Just hit defragment now  and all
partitions will be defragmented. So, disk defragmenter doesn't list the drives you have (if it does, jfw doesn't read it.). You just have to  defragment everything. Now, I can't use disk defragmenter to find out how many gbs are free on my c drive and how many percent remains. That's sad, as this was the quickest way for me to do that. I'll certainly miss the xp view of defragmenter.

Help and support, a simpler way to get help: The help and support
center has also been remade, now featuring a new html based
interface.  Now you can just select a topic, like security from a
list of links.  Once you clicked on the link, just select the
subtopic, and a page with the information will appear, or more
subtopic list will come up.  Just makes things better since you
do not have to search for 10 minutes.  Though this option is
still out there.

windows explorer: In deed, Microsoft did remake explorer.  No
longer do weird progress bars come up to index the folder, and no
longer do you have to tab into the folder view.  It's all like in
xp.  Well beside two things: The search edit box is integrated
into your explorer window.  All the common outline buttons are
gone and are replaced with a web view paine which you can move through with your left / right arrows.

Turning off Uacc: After 2 hours of looking for it, I have found
how to turn off user account control.  It's under user accounts in
the control panel.  No longer does JAWS act weird in disk
defragmenter and other apps that need permission once this annoying thing is off.

compatibility with other programs: As I mentioned, Vista works
great with Troopanum.  It also works with Klango and Haunted
Factory, shades of Doom, and probably most other games.

Microsoft made a great effort in making Vista as compatible as
can be.  Norton Antivirus 2006 installs ok, but does not have any
auto protect feature + the main NAV window freezes.  So, I do not
have antivirus.

If you run a program that only works with xp, an compatibility window comes up, with a button called run program.
If you got rc1, beware that install shield setup programs do not work with Vista rc1. Maybe not all versions of install shield don't work, though version 6.31 and 5.x didn't seem to. I tried this with my driver installs. The window would appear as frozen when you start an installation. If you are one of the lucky ones and have the rtm vista, this issue is resolved.

performance: The performance difference between rc1 and beta 2 is
huge.  rc 1 runs much faster.  Just like xp.  The only thing I do
not like is that it takes forever to start up.  Like 2 minutes, a
long time.  But JAWS reacts quickly to keys.
This 2-minute startup only happens if you don't have you're sata (serial ata) driver installed properly with vista. When I custom installed, Vista rc1 didn't recognise my Sata driver. I finally downloaded Intell's matrix storage manager from the web and it worked ok. Vista loads in about 34 seconds with Sata. It's even faster then xp was!
With rc1, there was a 0.5 second key lag (when you push a key). This lag completely went away in RTM build.

final thoughts and conclusion: At this stage, Vista is a stable
operating system.  For the blind, there's still a few issues with
JAWS.  Maybe Freedom Scientific will start making JAWS 8.0 soon.
Until then, JAWS will not working properly with Vista.

So, my recommendation is to stick with xp.  I wish I could do a
main menu review on Vista with ACB Radio, but I have dial - up
and this is not possible.  For now, I will uninstall Vista and
wait for JAWS 8.0 and an antivirus software.  Vista is coming out
on OCTOBER 18 for manufacturing hopefully, meaning that any new
computer should come with Vista after that date ( it will most
likely take a few moths for them to actually make new computer
models ) .

hope you enjoyed this third long review of Vista!

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-08 15:05:25

Good to know. I also believe that Vista is only being released in the business version initially, I heard the home versions will be out in the new year.

And just FYI, copying the disc to hard drive should make it faster once its done. I had my entire win 98 CD on an old computer's hard drive, and when I installed it was far faster to work on. Would be ideal if you could dump your windows disc into a partition so you don't have to find the phisical CD when you need to reformat.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-08 15:09:50

my friend told me that after vister, microsoft are going to act a bit like spies.
yes... the next windows after vister is going to be not a good thing.
microsoft will be able to see what we're doing.
they can look at our harddrives, delete as necessary, look at what we are browsing on the internet etc.
this will be bad for programmers -- they'll need to buy a licence. and i bet you it's not going to be cheap.
but the good news is that it'll stop cracking.
but don't fear, microsoft aren't going to do this just yet. we still have vister to go.

2006-10-10 17:56:51

Hi,
How much will Vista cost?

2006-10-11 10:53:22

I don't believe Microsoft could possibly get away with anything more than simply checking you have properly purchased software. And BTW, it's spelled V I S T A.

Now if Microsoft did do this it would:
Cause *huge* controversy and legal action based on invasion of privacy.
Cause many people to stick with XP or Vista and not upgrade.
Cause people just buying a computer to buy Macs.
Cause more technical people to head for Linux, fast.

In short, it would probably be the end... or at least the beginning of the end for Microsoft.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-11 16:36:28

well, that's where they are heading. apparently they are going to get permission. they are all billionares, or at least millionares, you know.
i really think as soon as vista is released we should contact the police to warn them that if they do try and ask for permission to do this say no. this is invasion... not only of privicy, but almost of the world. really.

2006-10-11 17:50:50

Hi,

Ok, finally, I was able to run Purble place. In this game, on the easy dificulty, you have to make a person ( by selecting eyes, nose, and mouth ) , the hard difficulty you have to mao cakes ( it's called comfie cakes ) or the medium difficulty ( called purrble pairs ) you have to match cards, like in a memory game.

Microsoft now put in sounds so that the blind may know if you have matched a card or failed. Nice. Jaws reads the columns and rows still. Right arrow to move to a column and down to move to a row..

Thanks for the review. Keep 'm coming. I'm specifically interested in Purble Place. Also see this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purble_Place

From what I gather from your review, Purble Pairs is more or less accessible, while the other games in Purble Place are not. I would like to know a bit more about this, if you don't mind, Tomi?

Could you tell me what you needed to do to play Purble Place, if it fully works with Jaws or not (is *everything* accessible), if it works with Vista's own speech synth or not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Anna), if the screen or fonts are scalable, etc. etc.

I would be very grateful if you would investigate these options and post a reply in this thread. Thanks Tomi!

Greets,

Richard

2006-10-12 14:55:54

aaron wrote:

well, that's where they are heading. apparently they are going to get permission. they are all billionares, or at least millionares, you know.
i really think as soon as vista is released we should contact the police to warn them that if they do try and ask for permission to do this say no. this is invasion... not only of privicy, but almost of the world. really.

I think this is getting too far towards conspiracy theories. Looka t all the court cases that have been brought against Microsoft, and some have even been won against them. The US government certainly is not especially friendly towards them, and I don't believe any other government is either.

cx2
-----

2006-10-12 19:03:46

hey forum, first' Richard's question:

No, jaws does n need any setup with the games, because the buttons exist in print, too. I did n try narrator with the games, but I'm sure it would work as long az it has buttons. I ceuld play memory (pairs), but with the other version it just said " bunny ears " even wen I moved from row to row. I'm assumming the ears are different colors.

Now, this microsoft monitoring thing: First, there's a law that clearly states that there is a limit on how much companies can invade the privacy of a person. Plus, think about it, there are billions of people that have a computer, and they cannot afford 1 billion customers. windows blackcone will not have privacy monitoring. At least they say it's going to be called blackcone.

well, I'm writing this in school and i've got to go.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-12 19:27:20

blackcone! (or is it blackcoan?) that name is scary! i am not sure if this is true or not. if it is we better try and do something!
this privicy thing, if it does happen, will be... well... bad. but think if it doesn't. hmm. i dunno what'll happen then.

2006-10-13 11:28:27

Listen to these two words: Mac, linux

Microsoft's two big competitors that could easily take over in the event something bad enough happened to Windows. And Linux is even free. There's enoug people migrating to Linux as it is without all this, and if it did happen... which I severely doubt... Microsoft would be out of business.

Plus like I said there's the other option: Don't upgrade to the new version.

These factors would break Microsoft, who are already in a delicate position. They might be annoying, but when it comes to business planning they're not stupid.

cx2
-----

2006-10-16 18:16:29 (edited by tomi 2006-10-16 18:17:19)

hi,
Remember that the cpp is still open to new members. go to
www.microsoft.com/vista
and click get ready. You are free to try it out...

Also note, freedom scientific is busy with jaws 8. if you check out the auto updates folder (
ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/AutoUpdate/ ),
you will see that they have already went up to jpatch8.0.326u_ilm.exe. You can't install the updates, you will get an error message.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-19 14:13:30

hello forum,

I will be reviewing Windows vista on Acb radio's main menu show. I have talked to Jeff and he said it's fine. I will try to avoid stuttering, and hope they will accept it. It will be about 3 / 4 hours, and I will review the vista games, control panel, conactivity, security, installation of vista, and more. I hope this will show to th blind what's changed in Vista.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-19 23:42:09

Hi,
when is the review? And, this is OT but how do u review stuff on acbradio? Do u record it first and send it to them or what.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-10-20 01:07:30

hey mike buddy, I do not know when it will be up but for now it's about 4 hours long.

Yes, fist you record it with a recorder1 then you post it onto the ftp.acbradio.org site. There are a list of guidelines on the main menu site that you should follow.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-22 14:29:13 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-23 09:08:13)

Hi all
My name is Hrvoje. I live in Croatia, and I am 19 years old. I installed Windows Vista Beta2 on my Laptop 3 months ago, and now I have RC2 (Build 5744). All I want to say is that I'm using JAWS 7.10 on Vista, and it works! Installation finishes without problems, Video Driver errors, etc., etc.! I have NEC Laptop 512 MB RAM, 50 GB Hard Drive, 1.86 GHZ Intel Pentium CPU, Conexant Sound Card, and Intel Mobile graphics card. And JAWS works perfect (but not very). JAWS cannot recognize selection in Windows Explorer, and it says "Nothing Selected" when I press CTRL+C or CTRL+X. However most programs work quite good, but are still problems while JAWS responds very slow and unexpectedly after UAC prompt (so I turned it off to avoid problems with JAWS). I think JAWS 7.10 support in Vista is about 98%, and it makes me happy! It is not true that JAWS may not work on Vista. It can, but only 7.10 and later - if you try to instal 7.0 on any Vista build, forget it! It will not work! And also you cannot start 7.10 automatically when Vista boots, you must make a shortcut key (I prefer CTRL+ALT+J). I tested Shades of Doom 1.2 on Vista as well. But JAWS 7.10 is stable with Vista more than I expected! If you can't install JAWS on Vista, this is probably because of your Graphics Driver. You can try to install an XP driver, and JAWS will install if you're lucky. Also you can wait for JAWS 8.0, although I heard that JAWS 8.0 will still not support Vista. May be in later automatic updates for JAWS 8.0 they will add Vista support, but not before it is released. Keep on trying to install JAWS 8.0 on Vista immediately after 8.0 is released or available for download.
Regards
Hrvoje Katic

2006-10-23 15:19:27

hello! I am very glad to hear that I am not the only one out there with Vista. You're comments are true.

The other night I reinstalled Vista rc1 with a custom install and reinstalled Jaws. And now I do not get an error reports when I start Jaws, like in Beta 2 and the rc1 upgrade. I think that Vista's biggest problem is Video intercepting, and when I start jfw I get a freedom Scientific Vidoo intercept error. +, JAWS keeps sending me error reports. So on my review, I am using the runtime Jaws, which is a 40 minute version that does not use scrip files. It worked ok with it too.

Vista uses the lddm, which stands for longhorn device driver. Ie 7 cannot load ftp folders in the ftp folder view so I cannot upload my review. Please, if any of you know what I can do about ftp in Vista, please tell me. I need to upload my review.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-23 16:20:20 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-23 16:42:05)

FTP folder view can be enabled in IE7 from View Menu. The option is only available when FTP folder is opened. Just search for "Open ftp site in Windows Explorer" or something like that after opening View Menu.
I probably don't get Video Intercept errors because my graphics adapter on my Laptop does not support WDDM or probably still uses an XP driver (Who knows!). However I also tryed to install Vista on two desktop computers, and I got Video Intercept error on my Desktop PC with ATI Radion 9600 graphics card. On my primary desktop I'm using right now, I even cannot install Vista. I get a Blue Screen telling me about problems with some devices (but does not tell me what type of device is incorrect). But Vista Upgrade Adviser told me that my computer can run Windows Vista, and even my NVidia GForce6100 graphics card supports WDDM. However, Vista cannot be installed, I always get this annoying blue screen. So I still use XP on my Desktop, but I upgraded to IE7 and WMP11, and I also installed Windows Defender. I'll have big problems if I'll not be able to install Vist on my primary Desktop PC, since I got this Blue Screen in BETA2, and still in RC1. May be I have problems with my DVD/CD ROM/Recorder. Although Vista works on my Laptop, I can't run DVD Maker in RC1/2, but I was able to run it in BETA2. I get an error message that DVD Maker cannot start because my Graphics Card is not supported. It's Very very bad, because I was able to run DVD maker in BETA2, and now I cannot in RC!

2006-10-23 21:49:01

Hello
I think that JAWS 8 will work better with vista because I heard that freedom scientific started making improvements such as to Microsoft word  with the new interface and some other stuff.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-23 23:07:29 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-23 23:11:24)

Yes I heard we'll get Office 2007 support in JAWS 8.0, as well as IE7. And if JAWS 8.0 will not have Video Intercept errors on Vista, it will mean that 8.0 supports Vista. Remember JAWS 4.01 was the first version supporting XP, and some problems were not fixed with XP support until JAWS 6.0! However I think 8.0 will be quite stable with Vista, so we can install it after Vista is released without problems. I can't wait for 8.0! Freedom Scientific still shows 7.10 on their WEB site, but I think 8.0 will be released this week (may be in October 25). I should check out their WEB site every day to download 8.0 immediately! I wait, wait, and I can't wait anymore. Hey Freedom Scientific, please release JAWS 8.0!

2006-10-25 11:31:09

I'm not sure how soon Jaws 8 is, I know they're aiming for one major version a year... but with the RC out for Vista I would find it hard to believe that FS aren't working hard on support there.

Oh, and I'm not sure about Jaws issues in XP. I've been using 4.5 and 4.51 for ages with no issues I've noticed.

cx2
-----

2006-10-25 15:07:56

But Freedom Scientific's JAWS product manager Eric Damery was told that JAWS8 will be released in the second part of october. That's what I heard on ACB radio's Main Menu.

2006-10-26 15:17:09

hi people, well, I have been tracking Windows Vista ever since it first came out in march 2005. I have looked at builds 5048, 5112(beta 1) , 5270, 5308, bet1 2, and rc1. I still have the cds for these and you can find some of my reviews out there. on this forum. I am quite impessed with rc1 with microsoft, but many features that were in vista are now gone (like windows future storage).

Jaws 8 should be out in a matter of days az Eric said.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-26 15:47:29

Yea, and I first installed build 5308 of Vista on my Desktop, but I wasn't able to run JAWS on it, and I also had a lot of problems with Narrator. Then I installed build 5381.1, and after I installed build 5456 on my Laptop, JAWS worked good for the first time, as well as in builds 5472 and 5536. JAWS now also works good for me now on RC2 (build 5744).
And also, for your information, Vista RTM is still not available at the time of this writing, although Microsoft scheduled Vista RTM for October 25.
And last, final version of IE 7 and Windows Defender is now available for download. My recommendation is to install it immediately if you're using Windows XP with SP2!
OK, probably JAWS 8 will be released the next time I post a message to this forum. I heard that What's new recording for JAWS 8 will be available two weeks before 8.0 is released, but I still don't see any changes since September on FS web site. Let's keep checking FS WEB site every day until we see something new!

2006-10-26 18:09:48

Every day is a little much. Every few days is more appropriate in these matters, and remember: Delays can and do happen.

cx2
-----