2012-09-10 19:37:35 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-10-01 20:53:00)

Latest link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/frjbqa3iqi90ndv/JLA.zip?dl=0

(Last update: 9/14/2012. Latest version is at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/JLA.zip )

Dropbox has been giving me trouble (which certainly couldn't have anything to do with how much stuff I've got in there...), so here's a sendspace link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uh06gd

It seems to be having trouble loading voice settings, which is odd, as I've never had that happen anywhere else with this particular voice class.

Wait, I'm not talking about the game itself. This must be corrected!

Have you heard of the concentrated awesome that is Batman: arkalm Asylum? Or the sequel, Arkalm City?
This is neither of those. tongue

This is a full 2d action game, in which you are bound to be beaten to a bloody pulp numerous times before you manage to lead some of the best known (and some not-so-well-known) DC superheros (and not-so-heros) through various struggles.
Most (but far from all!) of the violence will be concentrated around street level. That does not mean that there aren't prizes waiting for those who explore the rooftops of gotham, or unlock the most secured parts of Arkalm Island, or those that search the unassuming parts of quieter cities.

You start the game with but one hero and one level to play with, but there is a grand total of 30 playable characters hidden across 16 levels.

Whew, there's probably a lot I need to explain. Let's hope not.
This game does not have a tutorial level, per se, but hte first level is quite small compared to others, and I tried to position you so that you don't start out getting crushed by cars. The mob is another matter entirely, however.

There are a few things that still lack sounds (grapplinghooks and batclaws, to be specific), but otherwise everything should be fine.

Thanks to Gorthalon, Keywasfull, Norcutrnus (... Nocturnus?), Defender and Yukionozawa for sounds.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-10 20:15:04

this will be cool, I'm downloading it

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2012-09-10 21:09:52

Aha! Now I know why we haven't received any Sengoku Jidai updates! big_smile
Thanks for this, I'm going to try it out and... probably ask questions, rofl.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-09-10 21:34:27

aha!
i knew there was a reason for my sudden dc obsession... big_smile

2012-09-10 21:37:24

Actually, we haven't received sengoku jidai updates because of the dropbox weirdness. tongue
Although hopefully this means I'll be able to work on some of the other campaignes before updating again.

I just tried starting this game from scratch (renamed my saved data and all that). And yes, I died several times just making it to level 5. XD
I'm a little sad how teaching Solemon Grundy to jump seems to have made him less threatening.
In these first five levels, the only one where I needed to use the anti lag features (which I would like to emphasize are for if lag gets unplayably bad) was Coast City. I don't know why specifically that level likes lag, but it's particularly annoying since Green Lantern is far from the fastest character, and, well, that level is designed for him. I can only assume it's because the buildings are multi-tiered and thus use way more objects.

Oh, I guess while I'm talking about objects and lag: I wound up adding something that I didn't mention in the readme. It's just using the O key to hear the number of objects and enemies currently loaded. There were two reasons for this, the main one being to help figure out how to better organize those to prevent lag, the other being... well... to keep track of how many enemies are alive, for reasons I will not reveal just yet. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-10 22:26:39

Well, it's looking great, if you will add voices for all chars, and if you can adjust some things it will be really nice. Don't know who is civilian or not, the running is sounding really um, not natural, and if everything will be that HQ it will be great. Don't know what the strange sounds are on the levels, so... don't knwo wich to interact etc.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2012-09-10 23:52:34

i love, love, love the idea.  just a bit confused about what to hit/jumpover or what, so i'm experimenting. big_smile

2012-09-11 00:44:44

I think some of the fire sounds got messed up, so sometimes you don't hear where destroyed cars are. Strange, as it was working just fine earlier (to the extent that it could be overwhelming if lots of things got blown up...).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 00:50:32

is there a way to destroy cars?   only asking because i'm really not sure what i'm blowing up and what's being blown up around me and i want to be the king of chaos... big_smile

2012-09-11 01:11:31

Why yes, yes there is. I find timing it right to be quite difficult, though.
.. Eh, there's a way to destroy just about everything, eventually. Though by "destroy" I mean"crumble into still-large pieces that may or may not fall on you". But cars usually stop moving when something breaks them, so feel free to chunk bat grenades at them.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 02:03:10

CAE, actual problem with the gameplay is, everything what can gets hit is sound really the same. If you are attacked, the same things happen from the sounds perspective. With full voices it will help really a lot, and with sounds of real cars, reals carhits etc, as the rest breakable / destroyable things on the maps. Also, remember about background sounds and item sounds to help navigating and orienting.  For me looking around like there are 1 object and this is You isn't helpfull at all.
Waiting for more, it's sounds promising.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2012-09-11 02:49:13

Hi cae.
well the game is good.
right now there are so many people and so many beakons I don't know what is what and what I should or shouldn't push, they keep moving around to.
As for cars and other junk I wouldn't think cars would be a big issue unless they are bad to.
I managed to clear the gothem level once but that may have been luck as I never was able to again.
I couldn't clear the next level , but still.
On the dropbox front  its not you.
I have had many issues with the dropbox server both for my projects and my web experience with dropbox.
a lot of dropbox is offline or has issues.
I am sertain its a server issue.
at least I really nope it is because I do a load of my remote work as well as video sharing with friends.
this stuff is like 1-3 gb in length, far in advance of what sendspace could ever do.
I could get my own site or get a server somewhere but then I'd have to charge my  family and others cash which I don't want to do as  most of them don't have the cash to pay any extra.
True there is skydrive and google drive but not sure on access.
Pluss every online thing I do is dropbox.
so yeah I think dropbox is having system issues.

2012-09-11 02:52:24

sounds like a trip, I'll have to check it out,  and get back. Is nice to see more games out there. smile

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2012-09-11 03:15:16

Aw man, I was just about to start reading for my Psychology class. lol
I love Justice league, this sounds awesome.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-09-11 03:31:02

Sorry for the double post, but a learn game sounds menu would be awesome. I have no idea what's going on, lol. Cars are hitting, enimies are hitting me, then they're running away, it's crazy.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-09-11 04:31:56

HI,
I wish I could get as far as opening the game. WhenI downloaded it, I kept getting told that this or the other file was not extracted, and then asked iif I wanted to continue.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2012-09-11 07:35:42

hi i thinks this game is very very good

2012-09-11 10:50:44

hi kae. the game is simply great.
can you explain please how the navigation sistem works? how do you move around? i noticed that if you press enter sometimes you move on to an other surface. and if you jump up not in the left or right your coordonates change.
some help would be appreciated.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2012-09-11 11:18:34

nice job cae
ii'm happy to see that you make such a complex and good games.

though.. i again believe that the sound quality should be better...
i sometimes have no idea what's that sound that's coming... is it a weapon? someone's walking? .... dunno.lol

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-09-11 12:30:04

At Nin: The arrow keys usually do what you would expect them to. I did try to make it so that if you land atop a moving object, it will carry you, but I wouldn't expect that to be very common.
Pressing enter is how you interact with things; if you're in front of an alley, for instance, enter will have you try to step into it (or out of it, if you're already inside). The second level has elevators that will carry you to a higher place if you press enter while touching them. You can enter most of the vehicles, but other than a couple specific ones, there isn't much of a point in doing so.
You can be thrown around by impacts, though. Generally, horizontal movement is controlled entirely by the arrow keys, unless you are stunned, in which case it remains constant until either you hit something else or you recover.

It is true that things can get pretty chaotic at times. For the first few levels, my solution to this would be to run to the left as soon as the level starts and focus on thinning the mob of enemies that comes at you. (I actually did try to position the player, enemies and threatening objects so that you have some room to breathe at the start of a level, but this seems to have been only slightly effective.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 13:09:24

wow. Sounds really awesome. I'll check this out later today.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-09-11 17:50:19

Hi there,
This game is really great. Apart from the fact we probably need voices because right now it's pretty confusing, I got 2 suggestions.
First, I think the look system would be a lot more useful if it'd give you positions relatively, IE, to the right 3, above 2, instead of just giving you coordinates and leaving you to figure out the distance.
Second, I have no idea when I'm hitting something or i'm in front of an interactable object. IE, I got stuck on a car because I didn't realise I stopped moving and because there were 10 other people walking around I didn't tell when I got stopped. I think having a system similar to swamp would be nice where you'd hear a bumping sound and get tolld what you hit, wich should also indicate interactable objects.
Other than that, this is a great game, keep up the great work.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-09-11 17:59:00

The code is in place to make a sound when you bump into things, that's just one of the sounds I for some reason never got to adding.
It will probably get patched at some point (I think a small-but-crash-indusing bug managed to hide until after release in a place I'd thoroughly tested beforehand, and voices will definitely help). Until then, though, you could just throw in wallhit1.wav, wallhit2.wav and wallhit3.wav into the sounds folder to hear when you're running into something. I'm not sure if it will play just once, or if it will repeat continuously while you're holding a directional button, so... watch out for that.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 18:00:51

Hi,
I also like the game, only thing we really need is voices and like pitermach said, a way to tell which objects are interactable, along with the c key also announcing the z co-ordinate as at the moment it just says x and y.

2012-09-11 18:21:52

Hi,
Wow this game is cool, hard, confusing, mainstreem like and... amazing!
wow i just got to the seccond level, with no idea what i'm doing and I had fun doing it smile
I think there should be a tutorial thing though because this game is kind of confusing. its like, for me anyway, playing a mainstreem game but with some audio cues. its cool but I think maybe voices like others have said would be nice. and well I don't really no what to do on the second level.

I'm gone for real :)