2012-08-16 02:36:24

Hello everyone! Recently someone posted a thread about a browser based Pokemon game they had found. In the topic, there was talk about wanting an accessible game like Pokemon. I posted that Aprone and I MIGHT be interested in doing such a game and there was definitely a positive response. Because of this response, I started planning how the game might be developed and what the project would require.

Now, I was hoping to do a direct port of the original Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, the games that started the series. To do that, I emailed Nintendo's Public Relations department to ask permission to use their property. I was expecting a generic and automated response email telling me no. I DID get told that Nintendo wouldn't endorse any such projects, but in a much more positive way than I had anticipated. Below are the original email and my response.

Original Email to Nintendo
To whom it concerns,

First, I would like to apologize if I have this listed under the wrong topic or if I should be pursuing this elsewhere. I'm not quite sure how to go about this but I assumed Nintendo would be the best choice.

I am a programmer that develops audio games for the Blind and Visually impaired, primarily using the VB6 language. Recently, members of the AudioGames.net community have mentioned interest in the Pokemon series of games. Obviously these games are not accessible to Blind/VI gamers so they are unable to play them. I mentioned that I may, as my schedule allows, be able to work with another audio game developer to release a Pokemon style game, provided there was enough interest in the idea. Since then, I have received many request to release such a game.

Now onto the purpose behind this email. While I could develop and release a game that has many of the features of the Pokemon style game (RPG elements, Collection, Raising, etc) using my own original content, I thought it would be awesome if I could release a straight port of the original games, Red and Blue, in an accessible format. I've long been a fan of the series and would love to be able to share them with a group of gamers that have no way of experiencing them otherwise.

To that end, I am emailing to request permission to use the Pokemon trademarks, characters, etc in this project. I would, of course, claim no ownership or credit for any of the content outside of my code itself. This is a completely non-profit endeavor and something I am doing simple because I love the games and want to bring them to my friends in the audio gaming community.

Please let me know if this would be allowed, or at least what steps, if any, I could take to make this a reality. I would love to be able to bring this amazing game to my friends in the blind community.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Steven Strait

Now the response from Jay, one of Nintendo's Public Relations representatives.
Hello Steven,

I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products.  To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand. Having a family member who is sight impaired, I can fully understand why you would want to release a modified Pokemon game.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all.  Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions.  I realize this isn't what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances.  You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization.  This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible-Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Sincerely,
Jay Dean
Nintendo of America

Not the email I was hoping for, but definitely more than I expected to get! In essence, Nintendo doesn't officially allow use of their copyrighted properties. However, in a situation such as this, there MAY be some legal grey area that would allow me to make a direct port a reality. Unfortunately, I don't think making the full Red and Blue games would be a smart, or safe, move on my part. Nintendo would be well within their rights to send me a Cease and Desist request, basically forcing me to stop development on the games and I wouldn't blame them if they chose to do so.

For now, this project is still on the drawing board, but I'm not giving up yet. I may end up working with Aprone to craft a game using the mechanics of the Pokemon series using our own original story, settings, characters, etc. We're still discussing it and would LOVE to get some input from the Audiogames.net members. Would this be a project y'all would be interested in?

2012-08-16 04:32:56

ahoy there
dam,and I so wanted a pokemon game.:d. to be honest though, the mails above remind me of someone saying,that you weren't here,d'you here? I didn't saw you,even though I am talking to you right now,this talk never happened.:p
There are so many pokemon sims and such and online games that one sees on the net nowadays,I wonder how'd they get permition to make those? or if they did that at all.
putting in that all pokemon trademark and characters belong to so and so etc might help a bit.,and perhaps you couldn't make this a shairware without their permition,but how about it beeing donation based?
and a freeware as the status.
many games have the rpg elements like pokemon,but what makes pokemon games awsome,are the pokemons. I would like to see any rpg come out,but I would love to see pokemon even more. alas,nintendo.but still I am curious about those other pokemon games.... perhaps something to look into.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-08-16 04:43:45

Awwe, now I'll have to rethink my response if Nintendo ever decided they don't like Audio Mario... sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-08-16 04:44:17 (edited by bigdog 2012-08-16 04:57:35)

It could also be that he that is the nintendo rep may not be aware of all the exceptions if any or perhaps maybe some clarification on the matter may be in order.  If he said that generally they can't sift through all the requests there may still be a possibility.
It seems he may have been trying to exert you to pursue the matter but at the same time not telling you how as it could be against his contract like he said to give out legal advice.  Also it could depend on the system as it is no longer sold and only used game stores sell it.  I could see there being a conflict if it were a remake of a recent release by nintendo as they would want as much money as they could get.
After all remember quake but of course that was for PC.
Obviously they couldn't tell you to release only the demo but if idgames could give permission there may be a possibility like you said especially if you release it for free.  Also remember that if you don't have the graphics you may be entitled as it couldn't be fully original but just throwing out some guesses.  How were you planning to do this, would you use a sim wherein the graphics would actually appear?

2012-08-16 05:47:50

I think (not sure) that Nintendo still distributes old console games as DLC or in collections or something.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-08-16 16:29:41

Ah yes, audio pokemon. That could be a cool idea. I remember attempting, and to some degree succeeding, to play the very first pokemon with some sighted help and lots of patients. Hell, up until earlier this year I still had the original discs, along with a gameboy colour. Fun times. But anyway... I'd certainly be interested to see what happens with all this.

2012-08-16 16:45:24

Hi, i would love to see this concept get off the ground however it may be acomplished. And anyway, i would guess that those brouser pokemon games don't have to ask permision every time someone makes them. A lot of them are free anyway. Where there is a will, there is a way.

2012-08-16 16:51:45

Hi.
I have never got into Pokemon and all that stuff, but I would like to see an audio version of Pokemon as well. In an old topic here on the forum, I got told that Pokemon is not that much childish that I thought it was, and I find it difficult to get more information about this world without a game to keep me interested. smile So I'm saying that it's a good idea because I don't know much about the Pokemon world, and I would liek to learn more about it by playing a great game. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-08-16 20:49:07

This is interesting since the shows almost certainly cater to a very young audience but the games were more for everyone.  Quite funny when you think about it.

2012-08-16 21:45:49

@Hatred,

that's an amazing idea. A friend of mine and I were talking on skype last week how a pokemon game would be. We even created some game concepts and so on. If you are thinking really to enter in this development, please contact me in private. Somehow, I would like to help in coding. Most of the developed audio games are done by one person. I think that we would have much more success if we join efforts.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die.

2012-08-16 22:18:36

Or failure.

It all depends on what you code in, and how you code.
My projects are absolutely not suited for multi-person coding. I've developed a rather messy style, and if someone altered my code, I'd not know what happened. LOL
OK OK, true, my code isn't that horrible.
The only team-project I'm involved in right now is the DragonFlame game engine.
And I do have to say, it's going really well. But when I talk about audio games, and this being actual games, I'd rather be on my own when coding.

And now, more on topic:

Wow, I'd have not expected that. At least not the most negative response one could have gotten. I'd just have thought it would be an automatically generated message ...
But hey. I don't think that if you make a game and just release it for free, they can go too hard on you can they? I don't know, that's why the question mark. big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-08-16 22:58:27

That sounds like a great idea. If you need sounds, go to http://www.downloads.khinsider.com/, search for the link called Pokemon gameboy sound collection. I would be very interested in this game, and would love to see this happen.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-08-17 01:17:17

I for one would look forward to playing a game simoler if not identicle to any of the pokemon games.  I have played every game in the first 3 generations, and would like to see something that is easier to access.  You could always just creat the game and give the creatures a differant name.  There is a game on facebook that has done this.  It iscalled "monster galaxy".  So I know it is still possible.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2012-08-17 04:26:18

Wow, I didn't think this idea would be so popular! I'm glad to see so many people interested in the concept and it's definitely pushing me more towards doing it. Please keep in mind that this wouldn't be a small scale, quickly produced project, especially since it's based on a pre-existing game. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right.

The game play itself is rather straight forward. Adapting it to an audio system shouldn't be too complex, although map navigation seems like it might take a bit of experimenting to make easy. I'm hoping to convince Aprone to join me on this project. He's an amazing programmer and I think we could release a very good game together. Also, he's the one that taught me how to program in Visual Basic 6, as well as the one that got me started in Audio Games. Our coding styles mesh very well so we should be able, if he has time and is willing, to work some magic.

I'll keep you guys informed on the status of this project. Right now, I'm frantically trying to re-code Audio Wars to get it ready to add a few new features, so it may be a while before this project starts. If you have any suggestions or ideas, especially for making map navigation user friendly, I'd love to hear them!

2012-08-17 04:48:11

ahoy all.
when it comes to map navigation,I have a suggestion. instead of having a single uge map,have different sets of maps.for example the green forest would be a single map and there would be a few other maps connected to it. the navigation could be like swamp,since that's the eazyest for people to pick up. at least in my opinion.heck,the beacons would make it even eazyer.I am standing somewhere in the forest,and now I need to go to root x. I press the beacon and it gives me the genral direction.when we walk ,since its a forest and stuff there could be a random chance of a event happening like it happens in the pokemon games. a pokemon could appear,and we would have the option to fight it or just go on our way. there could be trainers in set places on those maps.
if I haven't explained things clearly enough,lem know,and I could try again.
good luck!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-08-17 10:46:10

There is a good deal of different maps in the game so, having them in swamp form, in other words, having them all connected would make sense. If this gets off the ground, i would be the happyest 24 year old fan sense childhood, lol.

2012-08-17 12:30:06

Hi.
I totally agree that when it comes to navigating on maps, it would be great to have something which is simular to Swamp.
What about a online multiplayer Pokemon game? that would be amazing!
I'm sure that Aprone and you would be able to make something really cool together.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2012-08-17 22:24:09

Well, I've been playing the pokemon series, without sighted help, for years. It's very doable with patience and a well written walkthrough. Something like this would be cool to see though, though I would prefer something original but in the same style, IE collecting gym badges and catching monsters etc.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2012-08-18 02:15:47

Well, after all the positive feedback, I definitely want to make this game a reality. I think I'll try to release a demo that is a direct copy of the original Pokemon Blue, up until the first gym battle. This will let me test out the battle system, capturing, etc. Plus, using a setting and story that's already well documented will help speed up production time. My schedule right now is hectic though, so it may be a while before there's any true progress. I travel 2 hours every day to get to work, then 2 hours back. Public transit is cheap but incredibly slow, haha. Hopefully things will start to slow down a bit at work and I can get more time at home to code! As always, ideas and suggestions are welcomed, so keep them coming! I like the idea of using a system somewhat similar to Swamp for the map navigation, so I'll definitely talk to Aprone about that. Thanks again guys!

2012-08-18 08:08:04

I'm really looking forward to this.  best of luck and happy coding.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2012-08-18 11:01:16 (edited by SLJ 2012-08-18 11:04:26)

I am really looking forward to this as well. Will the game be single player only or will it be multiplayer as well? An online game where both single player and multiplayer is possible would be extremely awesome

Best regards SLJ.

2012-08-18 13:34:55

I am as well looking forward to this big time. I would focus on single player first, to get the feel of the game established. I'm big on the single player asspect of the pokemon games. I would think that multi player should focus on battling one another, or doing double battles with teams against one another.

2012-08-18 13:39:36

Yeah guys, this game will make me remind my old and good times of Pokemon playing with my sighted friends telling me what way to follow...
    An online game, with some bot trainers, random events, gin leaders and some badges restrictions wood be very very very cool!
    For instance, you can only use the surf ability if you beat a whater related gin leader.
    We have many pokemons created now that the anime series still on the way. So we surely wood have a vast map with different tornaments, lots and lots of pokemons and cities to explore.
    In this case you will not need to use all original characters and can create your own trainers, shopkeepers, etc. Also I'd like to offer help with the main history and maybe with some sounds. You can try to use sound effects not related to Nintendo, but the anime itself. Maybe it can turn thing easyer to be accepted for the Nintendo team.
    Best regards, Haramir

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2012-08-18 15:32:10

hi

@slj

there was another discussion going on in the pokemon creed topic i created. and as i am not mistaken where there also votes on multiplayer aspects but that the main game focussus on the rpg style the original pokemon games have.

@griffindore

i am exited by the idea that there will be an swamp map. and i am also glad that hatred is willing to implement that.

i am greatly looking forward to this game as well. so i hope that your boss takes some work out of your hands so you can go home earlier.

you can do it or do i have to say you both can do it. it would be great if you can do it on your own, but it will be more great if aprone can assist you.

but what i want to advice, suggest or something like that ... lol

is when you reach a set of trees in the forest in this example that you'll hear a sound foof ving trees so you know you reach a boarder, so you aren't alarmed by smashing noise in swamp.

but still swamp is great.

but i don't think that i am speaking for only myself but for the whole community, that we're all very willing to beta test the demo if it is ready.

and i personally will find it great if you and aprone and hopefully more participants will bundle their powers to make this a revolution in the audiogame world.

i already have seen some games, swamp, airick etc but this will also get a place in the hhall of fame.

i am sure.

happy coding

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-08-19 05:52:50

This game idea sounds grate! I was thinking that you should include the real pokemon crys from the tv shows and movies. I hate the video game crys because they don't even match the tv show or movie ones. If you want, I can do some imitations of various pokemon if you are willing to put this into your game. I also though that you could put in the different music tracks for the different locations in the region. You know, like the tv show. Also, could you possibley include all the regions? I like sinoh, and canto but I was wondering if you could include all of the regions even the newest one. Or you could make sequils to the game that your working on, so you can include everything. I would be happy to beta test this game. Well, thell me what you think about my offers and requests.

the frozen cold, and the powerful light,
bind together, just as the fire and dark might,
they both tare apart the land, once so pure and grate,
but peace can be restored, we just have to stay firm and wait.