2008-03-22 21:41:38

hi everyone.

Wow, its late, but... but i can write something about myself.

I'M Tom, i from poland, and sometimes i want sorry you for my english, cause isn't very good, and  tell me if you dind understand something.
I likI'm Blind, only i can see light and little shadows. I'm blind from born..
I'm 21, I like games, not only audio games, i very like fignting syyle games, or RPG, examples? street fighter series, guilty gear, soul calibur, final fantasy series, zelda, or breath of fire.
About audio games, i very like lightech interactive games, and L-works. I wait for some RPGs for blind.
I like music too, i'm a drummer, and i play different styles of music, From jazz, funky, rock, to progressive  metal.

If someone want write to me, no problem, it's my MSM: [email protected]

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

Thumbs up

2008-03-24 00:06:19

Hi all,

I've been visiting audiogames forums for a couple of months. I have been a fan of audio games for only two or three years. My name is Colleen and I live in the United States. I am totally blind and one day I was really bored, and did a search for audio games. I found Pipe2 blast chamber, downloaded it, bought it and loved it. After that, I've gotten several other games. A few months ago, I downloaded Technoshock, and got really stuck. I typed in a search to see if I could get some help, that's how I found these forums. I have only posted once, over on the forum for technoshock, asking for help. I emailed one member who said I should introduce myself. I'm sort of shy. I only know one other blind person. She was my suite mate in college. We are pretty good friends, and I introduced her to audio games which she loves also. I think I don't write much because I'm not very good with computers, besides using them for the basics. I play games for entertainment away from life. I work in an animal research lab in the area of behavioral science. I have two teenage daughters who also play some of the audio games I love. They like the pinball games from Draconis. I didn't think I'd like the 1st person games, but technoshock has me hooked. I've tried the demo of shades of doom. I'll buy it when I get more familiar with it. I also tried Sarah and the castle, but I was really not good at that. Okay, I've rambled enough, but I wanted to say hello. I've read many of the posts and enjoy the writings. Dark, thanks for sending me here.

Colleen

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax -- Of cabbages and kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot -- And whether pigs have wings."
Lewis Caroll

Thumbs up

2008-03-24 00:47:59

Colleen, indeed welcome. I have to admit I enjoy Ten Pin Alley a lot myself, though regarding the GMA games I tend to prefer tank commander to shades. I guess I just find the more open space and options for movement more to my tastes.

People tend to be pretty friendly around here so don't hesitate to ask anything any time, either in the game forum or the off topic room.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

Thumbs up

2008-03-24 01:26:09

Hello colleen, I'm glad you managed to post here.

Behavioural science? that deffinately sounds intreaguing, what sort of research are you doing?

In terms of audio games, i'm personally a big fan of shades and Sarah, ---- shades of doom was in fact my first audio game, and the atmosphere and exploration really grabbed my attention. Tank commander is fun but I'd personally put shades first in my order of preference. As I said in the mail, Technoshock is something I find really troublesome. I've only ever been able to get to the second story and always end up getting killed.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the pinball titles myself, but the depth of sound and immertion in pinball extreme and the party pack quite surprised me. I've considdered buying esp pinball classic, but it's quite hard to evaluate what the game is like sinse the wildwest table is so similar to the one in the party pack and the packman table obviously uses sounds from the 80's arcade game.

what's your opinion of the other tables?

It's interesting you say your daughters also play audio games. If you have more than one computer, have you considdered multiplayer games, ---- you could try running a local area network game in audio quake or a game of sound rts if you fansy stratogy.

If your sharing a computer, you could try something like ten pin alley or some of jim kitchin's self voicing games which are turn based.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-29 04:43:53

Hi again,

In the pinball classic game, my favorite table is the haunted house table. The reason I bought the game originally was the wild west table, but then I got hooked on haunted house. I also like the  histe table. What I find interesting abut the pinball tables is that there seems to be a level of challenge that is different for each table. For example, the soccer table has several elements, but the pacman table doesn't. In the pinball extreme I like the homerun table, and I like sud works and pinball extreme. The extreme table is much harder on the player in terms of luck, but sud works has more strategy in it. Is this making sense?

Our family does  all of the Jim Kitchen games. We enjoy them quite a lot. I once wrote to Jim and suggested he ask a small fee for his games, because they're good and families as well as individuals can enjoy them.

I have been stumped by technoshock at level 4, but I intend to finish. As well as Shades of doom, I've tried Terraformers. I like that game too. Actually, I think Terraformers is a good intro to the 1st person games, as it gives you a tutorial that sort of gets you thinking about how to approach this kind of game.  Probably the next 1st person game I buy would be Shades, just because I've worked with the demo for a while.

My university degree is animal research, behavioral training and observation. I've trained rats, birds, dogs and monkeys. I got the demo for monkey business, but stank at it. I tried it because of my field. I have colaborated on some research program at our animal laboratory. I have a guide dog too, but when I talk about training dogs, I don't mean guide dogs.

Since I'm kind of a dummy about some kinds of games, can anybody help me out with understanding how to access the online games? I went to a website that had a maze game, a "get out of the fire," game and others. I can't seem to do anything with them though. I have flash, but when I start the game, nothing happens. I'm sure I am not doing something right.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. I like reading posts here.

Colleen

Lewis Caroll

Thumbs up

2008-03-29 06:28:14

Most flash games, and a large amount of flash content, is not accessible by screen readers if this is how you are trying to access them. They must be designed specifically to work with assistive software, and sadly most web designers are unfamiliar with this concept even as legal requirements exist in many countries.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

Thumbs up

2008-03-29 14:46:47

Hmmm colleen, you mention mazes and fire, i wonder if that was the one site which provides accessible audio games in flash found at http://www.accessiblewebgames.com/ My first thought is if you have flash, is your computer's security blocking the games or the popups?

It's quite silly that the security measures in Ie in my experience cause more problems than any viruses or other nasties which their tring to prevent.

You could considder starting a new topic to discuss those games, to make it easier for other people who might have had the same trouble to comment or make suggestions.

The behavioural research stuff sounds fun, I've vaguely heard about such things when I studdied psychology, though not about what's being done in that area at the moment, and about the only contact I have with that area now is catching the odd documentary on Tv. I've always wanted to meet a monkey, ---- though probably not like the ones in monkey business lol!

I bought monkey business back before there was a demo, but I've made very bad progress with the game, sinse the sonar system is so hard to use and I've not found the navigation or scanning to be half as useful as in the gma engine which was used for Shades, Sarah and, ---- I believe, Technoshock.

Funny you should mention Terraformers, sinse I'm just trying out the demo of that game at the moment, and am most impressed (I'll probably be buying the game, ---- but I've already waffled on about it enough in the Terraformers thread so i won't start here.

As to Pb classic, thanks for the info. My favourite tables in pinball extreme are those with a lot of extra stratogy or goals to them, ---- like pinball extreme or sudworks or the revenge of shockra.

is there anything like that in the heist or haunted house tables? I'm glad to here that the simplicity of the packman table isn't carried through in the others.

Jim Kitchin's games are indeed good, in fact I was playing game of life with my parents the other day when i went home, ---- and it was really nice for my dad not to have to be lumbered with the task of reading the cards. It's also a great way to have an accessible board game around which doesn't come in a gigantic box for when my friends turn up.

I deffinately hope Jim will do more board games in the future, ---- especially journey style boardgames like game of life.

as there are several of you playing the game, have you tried the mississippi game from Mardy productions? It's an economic turn based stratogy game and struck me as something that might be fun with other players, though I found it to be slightly lacking when playing on my own, sinse there was no ability to play with a computer opponent. you can find it at http://www.odissa.de/en

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-29 20:58:17

Hello! hi! hey! or salut! (like we say in France).. wink
I am Angie, from ... you should have guessed where I am from, no? wink And I am an old new audio gamer of 27 years old.

I love audio games, so, this site is the best for me! The best that I have found, thanks at all

There are only fews audio games in french so, for nearly four monthes, my new best quality is patience! To read and understand the rules, it is not easy but I carry on!

I play Shades of dooms, Sarah, Tarzan junior, Drive, and others.

Now I will leave you, sorry for my way to write, certainly full of mistakes!

Angie

Thumbs up

2008-03-30 00:25:12

Hello Angie and welcome to the forum.

your English seems fine to me, and is several million times better than my French lol! In fact I'm always impressed by people who can play and understand games, ---- not to mention talk about them, in a language isn't their first, ---- I know I certainly couldn't, but like any typical english person I'm very lazy about learning other peoples languages sinse a lot of people seem to speak mine ---- often better than I do rofl!

Have you played the various games with French translations such as topspeed 2 or Rail racer?

I'm guessing you'll already have played sound rts, sinse the developer Jeanluc Pontico is French but has recently been kind enough to provide an English version of his game.

2008-03-30 01:19:52

Hi there!

My name is daniel!
I have been on the forum sence september of 2007.
I am nearly totally blind from birth, I write music, on my keyboard!
I love audiogames, am and hoping to become a developer in the near future!
I am from the U.s., and I am sixteen years old.

I love games like:
shades of doom,
judgment day,
Super liam,
all of the l-works, kitchens inc, light tech inter active, draconis, pcs, gma, bavisoft, and x-sight games.
I beat techno shock, but I don't kno if there are any cheats.
I am going to purchase terraformers.

Well, more about me, I have played audio games sence I was 10 years old, believe it or not, the first game of audio I ever played, was none other than the Time adventures demo.

I thought that was the whole game, kind of stupid, huh?
Than I found out about bavisoft, after I moved to florida, My school had Grizzly Gulch.
They also had, termight torpito, and armidillo army!

Well, that's it for now!

If you would like to add me on skype, my name is:
Furiousd2, that's F U R I O U S D 2.
Well, by-by!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

Thumbs up

2008-03-30 22:25:07

Hi all!
FuriousD, you have tried and played a lot of games! I'm very late, but I have got time!

For Dark Empathy, yes, I ply to SoundRts, a very good game, but I didn't know that top speed 2 and rail racer had translations in french! what an interesting new! Thank you!
The audio games make me try  to write more often in English, but I am lazy too with others languages that I liked so much at shool...

I would like to tell a lot of things but the school is so far! wink I wasn't so bad before...

Thumbs up

2008-03-31 00:36:32

Obviously french schools are much better at teaching English than English schools are at teaching spanish (the language I learnt at school), sinse I now only remember a few words and phrases. What's really awful is I also now have a number of spanish friends, ---- but they all speak English!

I think the rail racer sound pack translates a lot of the game, ---- all the bits spoken by the windows sapi voice, which hopefully should make it easier for you to play.

as I'm not as much a rcaing fan (accept for rr), I'm not at all sure how the topspeed 2 translation works.

don't worry about being late with audiogames, I am 25, and have only been playing audiogames for about two and a half years now, ---- there's always more time and more games!

2008-03-31 13:59:38

hi all. my name is valentin. i'm from romania and i am 13 ears old.
i am fan of audio games.
my first game was tarzan junior. than i continue with techno shock. i am a student so my english is not better.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

Thumbs up

2008-04-01 02:54:03

Hi!

Valentin, we are not the best in english, but we are fan of audio games, it is the most important! lol

For dark empathy, english teachers in France are not more good than spanish teachers of US, french people know only some words and sentences too! and you can't hear my accent! lol

For Top Speed, I don't need French. I will try Rail Racer, and I will tell you about it soon, but before, I have to play Grizzly Gulch or Chillingham that I recieved some days ago!
And I am stuck to the fourth level of SOD and...
OK, I stop here! wink

Thumbs up

2008-04-01 06:53:23

Hi Angie,

Welcome to you. I've just started writing on this forum, but since we all like these games, it's been fun.

My first language was French, I was born in Ontario Canada. The French is a little different, but I'm guessing we could understand each other. I live in Arizona, where the second biggest language is Spanish. Very few people speak French here. I almost never speak French anymore, but I can read it fine.

I forgot who asked about the pinball tables, but the "soccer star" has the most strategy, and "histe" and "haunted house" have some as well.

Colleen

Lewis Caroll

Thumbs up

2008-04-01 18:34:30

It was me who asked about the pinball tables, ---- thanks, though as I've just payed for terraformers and am awaiting my key, I'll probably have to wait a bit longer before I get the pinball classic game. sinse as you said colleen, there are parts of the us where Spanish is spoken, ---- the way French is spoken in Canada, I suspect teaching over there must be good.

Unfortunately though I'm in England, and here English really is the only language spoken.

I wonder if the difference betwene Canadian French and French spoken in France is similar to the difference betwene American and uk English? It's actually surprising how many differences there are, ---- particularly in grammar when you think about it. Usually schools over here teach French, but for some reason mine taught spanish instead, ---- either way though I've forgotten most of it, ;D, which as I said is annoying as I now have several Spanish friends from my university.

I think though as colleen said, it's our interest in Audio games that's important here, not where we're from.

2008-04-01 18:44:38

Dark,

You have a point about the differences in English. I read a lot of one author's books, Dick Francis, who is from England. I remember trying to figure out what a "boot" of a car was, until I learned it is the trunk. There's quite a few things like that.

My secret dream, if I'm allowed to say so, is to go to England to watch the Grand National. If any of you aren't from England, the Grand National is a major horse racing event. It's steeple chase racing which is one kind of jump racing. Anyway, I've read many books about it. I subscribe to "The Racing Pages" and the "Horse and Hound." I follow the thorough breds and would one day love to see the racing. There's also the Cheltnum gold cup, and the darby. Forgive the spelling if it's wrong.

Okay, is that more than any of you wanted to know? Sorry, it just came to mind when I was reading the post from Dark.

Colleen

Lewis Caroll

Thumbs up

2008-04-02 21:00:43

Hello!

Of course, our love for gaming is more important than the language we speak.

There are differences between the french spoken in Canada and in France, but we can understand very well each others.

Thanks at all!

Coleen, I don't know if it is the place to speak french, wink but I'm pleased to "meet" someone who could understand me in my first language!

Now I leave, I go to play!
Bye!

Thumbs up

2008-04-20 02:33:43

Bonjour Angie et Colleen,

My French is so limited that I won't plague your ears with it here.
But I lived in Fontainebleau many years ago and love to visit Paris and Montreal.
(In fact, I got Happy Birthday sung to me in French last week at my favorite restaurant in Paris.)

My company, 7-128 Software, makes mainstream computer games which are also accessible to people who are blind, low vision, or have other special needs.

Our games are programmed so that they can be translated into non-English languages.

We haven't translated any of the games yet because we're just a small company.

Could you please tell me if there are any games that are blind-accessible in French?
I know that there are lots of French computer games. I was looking at a bunch of them at Prentemps while we were over there.
But I didn't have time to investigate to find out if many of them were blind-accessible.

I'm considering translating our Inspector Cyndi in Newport mystery games and am curious about the market for them.

Merci et Bienvenue,

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software

2008-04-25 10:57:06

Hi Richard, I am Kate and I am totally blind.  I came accross this site while i was looking for computer games i can play myself.  I downloaded the Descent into Madness game last week and i think it's the best game as far as adventure games go.  I sometimes struggle with the audio games site, and can't download a lot of the games I would like to play because  a lot of them need flash player and my speech software won't read with Flash is activated.  Any ideas how to get around this one?  I use a Hal speech package from dolphin products in the uk.  That's all for now, I hope the audio games keep coming.  From Kate.  PS is there a way of contacting game developers?  I want to find out more about wo developed the Descent into Madness game.

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

Thumbs up

2008-04-26 09:28:55

Hello kate, welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry i didn't pick up on your post earlier, i was quite busy yesterday. Nice to meet someone else who's a Hal user.

As far as descent into madness goes, I'd agree it's a really well-put together game with wonderful atmosphere and puzles. If you went to the mane website of the game, there should I believe be a contact link there for you to E-mail the developers. the audio games you mention I assume are those on the playcenter? some of the flash panes can indeed be a miner pest. I'd recommend you make certain your in live focus rather than virtual focus mode, and perhaps press alt and tab to make sure your on the right window.

I'm afraid I haven't got around to trying out some of the games up there yet, sinse my old university internet connection used to block them, so I can't be too much more help at the second.

As far as audio games go, there are plenty available in a variety of styles and genres, everything from action sport games, to 3D to more interactive fiction type games like descent into madness.

first, there are the games sold by 7-128 software. they are commercial games, but do come with a free trial. they don't work with Hal at the moment, and you have to use a default synth voice to read some text in the games, ---- though they also come with sound clips and music, and I know for a fact more support for Hal reading the text is being investigated at the moment. find out more at http://www.7128.com/

Then, there is bavisoft who sell a couple of games on Cd which are incredibly similar to descent into madness with some very nice voice acting and music. to find out more go to http://www.bavisoft.com/chillingham.htm

There are also a large number of interactive fiction games and other similar things (mostly free), which will work with Hal, ---- see for example http://www.ffproject.com/  please let us know if you'd like more information about this sort of thing.

But interactive stories are just the tip of the iceberg. there's loads of stuff available, from action arcade games, to full 3d audio adventure games, some commercial, some free, but all available for trial and all accessible.

To get some ideas just have a look at the game list on the front page of the site, or this fantastic games list from pcs games (which at the moment is more up to date), http://www.pcsgames.net/

Just don't be afraid to try things out, and please come back here and let us know what you think of any games you've tried, and what sorts of games you might like to play.

there's certainly plenty out there.

2008-04-26 12:07:34

Hi thanks so much for the links.  How do i get my computer into the live focus mode?  Ventual focus is how my internet appeares, so I've no idea as to how i go about changing it.  I think I might attempt to download Splatter today to see how i get on with that.  There are game previews on the Bavisoft site and they look really amazing, although wheneven I have tried contacting them by email they keep on bouncing back into my inbox.  It's great news about the Hal software being made more workable for games though.  I came accross the link on the net for audio games if anyone is interested, it's www.gamesfortheblind.com it's mostly card games but there is a battleships one which is good.

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

Thumbs up

2008-04-26 21:13:28

Hi Kate,

Our games at www.7128.com do self-voice, so HAL really isn't necessary.
We have some memory puzzles, some word puzzles, and six Inspector Cyndi in Newport mysteries.

Try out the free demos and let me know what you think of them.

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software

2008-04-26 21:18:36

Dark,

Does this mean you've run our stuff with the latest HAL?
I know you were going to try to run one of our games with, I believe, the new version of HAL.
Whazzup?

I don't have time right now to get with Dolphin and do real testing.
Would be very curious as to what you've found out.

At some point, I just gotta get with Dolphin.
But right now I'm madly coding PizzaGames for a show at Perkins School for the Blind.
Can you say "user interface for 2-year olds who are blind"?
This is a challenge.

John

2008-04-27 09:55:09

Hello Kate.

Bavisoft haven't been answering E-mails for a while, which isn't helpful, and iis a shame as they do make rather good games, I can only suggest try E-mailing them in a few weeks to see if it's a temporary problem.

as John said, the 7-128 games are indeed self-voicing, ie, they speak themselves without needing Hal. hal is beeing looked into as an alternative speech method for people who might prefer that, but it's certainly not necessary to play their games, so just go here to the 7-128 site and try them out.

to be perfectly honest, I'd say the gamesfortheblind site aren't precisely playing things fairly, sinse very good versions of solitare, battleships, simon, blackjack (and quite a few other similar games), are actually available for free.

see for example the kitchinsinc site found here[/url  and [url=]http://www.omninet.net.au/~irhumph/blin … ]spoonbill games found here 
for something different and more fast pased, I'd suggest beginning with Lighttech interactive. they make some very immersive, highly addictive free self-voicing games with very good sounds and atmosphere.

You can find them Here on the lighttech site

As I said though, there are literally hundreds of games available. Check the Here for the fantastic games list from pcs have a good read through the various websites and games on offer and see which ones look interesting to you, then don't be afraid to try them out. Many are free, and even the ones that aren't free have available demos (as the 7-128 games do), so there's deffinately no harm in trying, and you might find something you really like.

Just remember that most games are self-voicing and don't require Hal, so press control and zero to turn off Hal's voice before you play, then control and zero again when you've finished.

Let us know what you think of any games you try out, and feel free to ask anymore questions.