2012-05-10 10:08:12

Hello. My name is Fredrik Strøm. I am a Norwegian gamedev and I am thinking about doing an ambitious project. A horror game that uses only sound.

http://www.indiegogo.com/Soundsofhorror?a=598010

It's an indiegogo campaign. The plan is to purchase audio equipment and keep me, a musician and a few voice actors at least working for half a year to see this vision through.

It's an exciting field, audio games and I want to see this come through.
I have set it up so that if it doesn't reach its limit. It simply vanishes and everyone gets their money back.

2012-05-10 10:55:20

Hi Fredric and welcome.

That's interesting news, however I think we'd appreciate a bit more information about the game, especially if we're to think about financially contributing. As you imagine looking at the database here "horror" is a little none specific for a game genre. What sort of game are you exactly considdering developing? an fps? something closer to an adventure game? An interactive audio drama?

We've had several games in the horror catagory thus far, including the fps shades of doom, the full audio cooperative fps swamp, the adventure game descent into madness, the challenge based Iphone game pappa sanga , and probably not a few others.

horror goes really well in audio as you might imagine, indeed it is my personal opinion that being audio, and being not able to see the monster contribute's to it's horror factor (I've had friends who are fans of the doom series who regard the audio doom homage as actually more horrific for this reason). However, of course horror can go to all sorts of different genres, from arcade to full on adventure, to survival horror with rpg elements and is more a theme than a descriptive genre of games, so more information about the actual style of gameplay would be very welcome.

You might also considder having a look at the other games on this site, particularly some of those I've mentioned just to give ideas, though with the exception of audio space invader clones, there's really no genre we couldn't! do with more titles in.

If you can give some more ideas about the game, i can probably write up some news for the front of site as well, which might help on the donations front too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-10 11:06:41 (edited by SoundsOfHorror 2012-05-10 11:07:57)

Ah yes, the kind of answer I want. I am going through the lists here like crazy. I've been delving into the site and your linked pieces to further reading for awhile now and I am dead serious on this project.

It will closely resemble adventure games, in many respects. I have made many of them before, in fact.
You will be playing as one character, in the first person (What I mean by that is that all you hear is things like his thoughts and what actually is picked up by his ears, like footsteps and his own breath.)

The game also has many unique instances and mechanics spread out through the game, such as being able to regulate your breath while you hide, (All you will be hearing is a monster and you trying not to make too much noise breathing, for example.) These are more than simple one-time quicktime events too, mind.
The plan is to set you, the player, directly into the mind of this person. Hearing his every thought, observation and so on, but it's going to be you making all the choices.

There will be puzzles. Places to explore. Terrors to face, both in the monsters and the twisted psyche of the person you play. And there might just be a few survival mechanics too, but that's going to have to be playtested a lot.

I am VERY open to any question anyone might ask.
And I'd also like to come in contact with people like you, Dark who obviously have some experience behind this.

I would also, of course, like to have Sounds of Horror featured on the site. And I'll give me whatever you need in order to write an article if you wish to include the project on the site. This is very exciting stuff, I tell you.

2012-05-10 11:26:25

This sounds really, really interesting... big_smile I'm looking forward to hear more.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-05-10 11:49:07

Well Fredric, I agree with Alex, this does indeed sound interesting

You might want to have a look at http://www.blindcomputergames.com/ for some good information about audio games and game architecture more generally.

One thing I am wondering, is just exactly what sort of mechanics you are thinking of in terms of the games' actual interface, sinse obviously different forms of audio representation need different stratogies.

for instance, if your thinking of the game having a mainly first person perspective, you might want to considder audio navigation aides to help getting around. This has worked for complex games in the past, particularly Sarah, a first person adventure set in the world of Harry potter.

if however your thinking more a sort of interactive audio drama with occasional scenes of player challenge, you need to considder the nature of these challenges, sinse even if the audio is fantastic, if the game is basically left right sterrio targiting working more on reaction than judgement, you might not have something replayable.

I believe pappasanga sort of has audio challenges in this way, though not having an Iphone i've not been able to try that game myself.

As to writing about the game, I'll gladly put up some news and information on front of site, as well as news about developement progress, plus I'll make a database entry for the game when there is something to play.

heck, if your short of a voice actor, I might be able to help there too big_smile.

How much money are you needing to start the project? unfortunately, one sad reality is that audio games don't have a huge markit, sinse they are usually only boght by visually impared people for access reasons, so if you need too big a budgit things might be difficult, though if the cash you need isn't too much, preorders or the like have worked in the past, ---- one of the most successful audio games, the audio roguelike rpg entombed was developed this way, and ended up being truly fantastic!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-10 11:55:04

I might be able to make a few contributions here myself, for music.
We will have to talk via pm or something, the chap i am working has a few restrictions, but I'm sure I can get you some free, legal, music. Most of it will be orchestrated though. I do have a few odd bits and peaces here and there, so it goes for an interesting mix. Again, let me know what you want to do. Hope to see this project come to life!

2012-05-10 12:01:14

Especially I like the dea of controlling your breath... big_smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-05-10 13:12:09

Hi.
i don't want to put a damper on this but shouldn't this be in the off topic room since it isn't releced yet?
it sounds great though, i didn't read all the first post but it stil sounds great pluss i love horror games.
oh will it be for pc or mac or iphone or ipod tuch?
if it is for ipod maybe you could use the ipod or iphone you might be able to use the tilting feachers and the moving around feachers. like you could race the iphone slash ipod fast tojump up or something like that.
or for blocking a monsters atack you could have the iphone or ipod in a strate potions but strate as in insted of it being flat on your hand it is faceing long ways butstrate and left to rite.
hmm not sure if that made sence sorry.
just some of my ideas.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-05-10 14:05:25

Hi.
This sounds really interesting. That reminds me of a mainstream game where you could hear the monsters brieth. Damn that was scarry. I don't remember what the game was called though.
I hope the game will contain lots of replayabilities, unlockables, trophies etc. A cross-platform game would be really awesome.
I look forward to hear more about the project.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-05-10 17:40:19

Moderation!

yes indeed brad you are correct, sinse this isn't actually a new release with something to download as yet I've moved the thread, though I don't know where you got the idea it should be in the offtopic room, sinse it's still very much game related (remember, offtopic = anything not! to do with games).

Either way, i look forward to the game myself. i hope personally for a pc version, though sinse I do have plans to get an Iphone or Ipad in the future I wouldn't mind a release on that, but that's just personal opinion really based on what systems I have access to myself.

these days Vi users tend to use a variety of things, ---- though not many tend to use android or smart phones as screen readers for those platforms are less common. mobile wise it tends to be the Ipad, and computer wise windows Pc has the bulk of the userbase, though there are some people like Slj who use Mac and a few who use Lynux as well.

2012-05-10 18:51:59 (edited by SoundsOfHorror 2012-05-10 18:56:13)

Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming. Though I have a design document, it's still a bit sketchy. The idea, for me at least is to develop as much as I can in terms of planning and preperation, and see if the Indiegogo goes anywhere.

Cross-platform:
This should actually be very easy since this game will be VERY low intensity. I think I will be using Unity, because I know it so well and seems to go well from exe, to browsers, to macs, to handhelds.

Mechanics:
The way it's set up now, it's very much a 3D first person game with teleports. What I mean by this is that your character will be able to walk in rooms and whenever he comes close to something, you hear a sound (like him touching a doorhandle) and a piece of mental narration (I approached the door). You will be able to engage in a pop-up menu (All in sound of course) that tells you where you can go.

I am playing with the idea of monsters and I think I have a neat concept. Certain frequencies of sound. This is a horror game, not a monster hunt. I think the main survival mechanic will be you desperately trying to reach the right frequencies on your radio, or something. Should be tense, eh?

I will make absolutely sure about clarity as much as possible in this game.

Replayability:
This one is a tough one. I am considering one of two options. One is a "murder house" scenario where a game is fully randomized each time you play. THIS has negative aspects, such as not being able to easily make a cohesive structure and will eat up a lot of time.
The other is to have a game of variables. You get a few choices in the game and there's some randomness to mechanics.

Money:
The sum of money is a bit steep. The plan is to hire me, a musician (A guy I know) and a few voice actors, buy all the recording equipment, travel to locations (I can even hire a soundstage locally) and keep myself alive on noodles & cheap bread for at least half a year.
I am burning for this project, but the sad truth is that money stands in the way.
But I tell ya, I and perhaps others can learn from this, even if it just reaches the concept stage.

The future:
Right, so... this place was a heaven to come to. Constructive criticism (No blind praise or hate), insight and I feel the same fire I have.
So I'll be sure to update you guys on how things are going.

I might make a video blog-thing soon where I describe the project in greater detail.

Wrong place to post thread:
D'OH!!!

2012-05-10 23:50:28

Don't panic about thread placement, that's what moderators are for :d.
the concept sounds interesting, i especially like your ideas for replay, and the frequency thing reminds me of the Dr. who audio wispers of terror abot a sentient soundwave let loose in a recording archive, I also love the ideas for randomness and variables.

Unity should work well, indeed the first version of the experimental fps horror game extant, developed by Richard and sander (the actual webmasters of the site), was run through unity web player.

however, all this being said I firstly am not sure about what you mean  reguarding 3D first person and! a menue. Do you  mean that the menue would act as essentially a descriptive list of in room objects and exits, and you'd need to move around yourself, using audio navaids such as speaking of coordinates or general room info, footstep echoe and audio from objects.

Terraformers and Shades of doom both use this method, and it works extremely well, indeed the method they use has almost become a standard in the audio fps games we've seen.

Alternatively, when you speak of "a menue" do you literally mean menue style navigation as in an if game, eg, you select the "go" command and then "out of the door"

If this method it  chosen, I'm not sure how it would combine with fps, sinse in an first person perspective obviously you are  moving around in the full 180 degrees.

Perhaps download and trying some of the games I've mentioned might be a good source of ideas.

As to money, that is a problem, especially for audio games. Realistically, the most wide selling audio game sold about 500 copies, and that was exceptionally well, most will be betwene 150 and 300 copies to vi and blind gamers.

Harsh, but true. Also, there has been a couple of cases of bad preorders in the community where preorders weren't filled and people lost their dosh, so people can be suspicious, indeed I recently received my own preorder money that I'd sent to support access in one game project which sadly didn't get enough interest.

then again, with the kickstart model you aren't actually asking people for! money, but for a promise of money, so people aren't making a risk on the fact that the project might or might not happen, sinse by the time you take their money it's happening, so there may be less reluctance.

Even so, unfortunately it can't be denied that the audio games playing community is very small indeed, and not exactly rolling in cash, and I'd rather see a less ambicious project happen than a more ambicious one not happen at all for lack of funds.

That being said, if a certain amount of stuff can be done in house as it were by volunteers, that might help a lot.

several people for instance (including myself), have voice acted in games for free, and you might want to look into some alternative options for music as well.

either way i do very much hope this project gets going, sinse it sounds like a great idea.

2012-05-11 01:52:01

I am intrigued by all this discussion.  One thing to suggest, if you haven't already check out http://www.kickstarter.com.  This is a fund raising method for people with smaller capital needs than a typical small business loan, but who don't want to go the route of putting everything on a credit card.

You create a sales pitch, then market the hell out of the resultant page.  Each project has a minimum funding goal and a time line by which the funding goal must be met.  if the goal is met, contributors automatically pay via the credit card of their choice, which kickstarter handles.  If the goal is not met, then no one pays anything and you either try again, or do something different.

I am not affiliated with Kickstarter, other than that my brother just concluded a successful $2,500 funding campaign and I am holding his new album as a result.

2012-05-11 07:18:18

Hi
Well The game sounds really good.
I don't have any cash to be contributing though I'd like to do playtesting, and maybe voice acting parts maybe the main char.
I have ok ish recording stuff, the mic I use for broadcasting is a plantronics usb and its clean.
I could do other voices on request.
And I can do it for free.
A project like this will take time between other projects and contracts I do and will serve to give me a break.
I have windows xp here so if it runs on xp and 7 etc I'll happily run and see what it does.
In addition I co host a podcast on technology.jaredrimer.net and also can submit articles so I can promote your stuff if you wish.

2012-05-11 07:46:33

themadviolinist wrote:

I am intrigued by all this discussion.  One thing to suggest, if you haven't already check out http://www.kickstarter.com.  This is a fund raising method for people with smaller capital needs than a typical small business loan, but who don't want to go the route of putting everything on a credit card.

You create a sales pitch, then market the hell out of the resultant page.  Each project has a minimum funding goal and a time line by which the funding goal must be met.  if the goal is met, contributors automatically pay via the credit card of their choice, which kickstarter handles.  If the goal is not met, then no one pays anything and you either try again, or do something different.

I am not affiliated with Kickstarter, other than that my brother just concluded a successful $2,500 funding campaign and I am holding his new album as a result.

Well, I am doing Indiegogo (Put the link there).
I can't do Kickstarter for it is for US citizens only and I am from Norway.

crashmaster wrote:

Hi
Well The game sounds really good.
I don't have any cash to be contributing though I'd like to do playtesting, and maybe voice acting parts maybe the main char.
I have ok ish recording stuff, the mic I use for broadcasting is a plantronics usb and its clean.
I could do other voices on request.
And I can do it for free.
A project like this will take time between other projects and contracts I do and will serve to give me a break.
I have windows xp here so if it runs on xp and 7 etc I'll happily run and see what it does.
In addition I co host a podcast on technology.jaredrimer.net and also can submit articles so I can promote your stuff if you wish.

Awesome dude. I am still factoring a lot of stuff but I'll post here once I have things like voice actors down.

I'd very much like to be promoted, by friends and those interested in this project.
This project here lives or dies based on if people get to know about it. Hopefully, even those without money but wishing for the project to grow can spread the word a littlle. big_smile

2012-05-11 08:45:11

I'll see what I can do with writing some news, and if your looking for voice actors I can certainly help there myself, as i have a rather good digital recorder, a certain amount of acting experience, both voice acting in other games, and indeed on stage (I am a rather serious tenor).

For kickstarter I'm a little surprised that it's us only, sinse recently I contributed myself to a game soundtracks related project, to have an updated version of the turrican game soundtracks produced as an album, and that was initiated by a German composer, but I'll have a look at the site you mention as well.

2012-05-11 08:49:00

Hi.

If you're going to release an early beta version of the game, then I'm sure people will spred the word about it so quickly so you wouldn't never imagine it. smile
You could easily use speech synthicyzers to make characters speak for free and then record some better voiceovers and sounds later on if you got enough money. I think people have to play something to really get interested. Sadly, we have seen too many projects being talked about which never got into anything playable. sad

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-05-11 18:07:20

Dark wrote:

I'll see what I can do with writing some news, and if your looking for voice actors I can certainly help there myself, as i have a rather good digital recorder, a certain amount of acting experience, both voice acting in other games, and indeed on stage (I am a rather serious tenor).

For kickstarter I'm a little surprised that it's us only, sinse recently I contributed myself to a game soundtracks related project, to have an updated version of the turrican game soundtracks produced as an album, and that was initiated by a German composer, but I'll have a look at the site you mention as well.

I was surprised too to see Kickstarter is US only.

And I'd love to hear your voice on this. It's a little down the line, but it's never too early to hear voice actors.
(Especially since voice acting just became a WAY WAY bigger focus than in other games)

And I see stuff like that all the time SLJ. Not exclusive to audio games by any means.
I've seen it past 2 development hells to I should be fine and not a quitter. ESPECIALLY when people give me money to do something (A very serious thing, mind)

2012-05-12 12:06:37

Just wanted to say that around Monday, hopefully, I will have a new, more in depth video up. I've gotten 30$ already (Hey, good start.) and I hope to see more coming from anyone interested.

As said earlier, project doesn't go off the ground, you get it back. wink

2012-05-12 12:57:06

HI.
is there a way we can donate money if we wantto?

I'm gone for real :)

2012-05-12 13:04:37

I definitely like the sound of the project, and will probably contribute myself as soon as I have cleared my creddit card. However, I am a little concerned at the 13000 budgit you mention, as no audio game thus far hs had anything like that kind of budgit, 2000 maybe, but no where near 13, which is a bit of a concern given the potential number of customers.

One thing I personally can help with however is voice acting as I said, Here is a test file I recorded and banged on sendspace, of Little red riding hood from Rohald Dahl's revolting rhymes to show my voice.

Game wise I've thus far played the James bond type villain Brutus in 3D velocity, several characters in Airic the cleric (an audio adventure game), and a couple of characters set to appear in the new update of the the Sarah adventure game.

I suspect there are several others who would like to help with voicing as well, which should hopefully cut down on the expense at least somewhat.

2012-05-12 13:28:48 (edited by SoundsOfHorror 2012-05-12 13:30:02)

Dark wrote:

I definitely like the sound of the project, and will probably contribute myself as soon as I have cleared my creddit card. However, I am a little concerned at the 13000 budgit you mention, as no audio game thus far hs had anything like that kind of budgit, 2000 maybe, but no where near 13, which is a bit of a concern given the potential number of customers.

One thing I personally can help with however is voice acting as I said, Here is a test file I recorded and banged on sendspace, of Little red riding hood from Rohald Dahl's revolting rhymes to show my voice.

Game wise I've thus far played the James bond type villain Brutus in 3D velocity, several characters in Airic the cleric (an audio adventure game), and a couple of characters set to appear in the new update of the the Sarah adventure game.

I suspect there are several others who would like to help with voicing as well, which should hopefully cut down on the expense at least somewhat.

IF, and it's a big IF.
IF this gets close to its desired number I might have to contact Indiegogo to get the go-ahead anyways. I've read you can do that, but it's dealt on a case-by-case basis. 13000 is a lot, I'll grant ya and this is what you'd call a dream project. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Sad, but that's the way of things. I am trying to do everything I can to make it succeed of course.

And you have a very good voice. I hope we'll get to use it in this project. wink

brad wrote:

HI.
is there a way we can donate money if we wantto?

Yes, at the indiegogo page you will see a button to donate.
I am relying on people spreading the word about this project and donating in order to get it off the ground.

2012-05-12 17:30:59

Hi! I would like to help You with some things in Your project.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2012-05-12 17:52:38

I'll be very glad to donate to the project next week as soon s my credit card is clear, and just let me know about the voice acting.

I am however a little apprehensive over the really large amount, and do find myself wondering if perhaps a smaller amount, or a stratified targit system might have been a better idea, sinse while I can imagine you getting a couple of thousand, maybe as much as five, I'm not sure about the full thirteen.

We will see however. i've put some news on the front of site, and I've tried to make it clear in that news that people aren't actually risking their money for a potential preorder. I also presume that you will be advertizing on other gaming sites as well.

Indeed, sinse this is from your description something of an interactive horror audio drama, you might think about getting some of the horror audio drama community involved, by advertizing on sites like www.darkerprojects.com, www.podiobooks.com and www.brokensea.com, sites that specialize in ameter audio books and dramas.

I'm not sure whether such people would fancy an interactive drama, but it's worth a try.

Also, getting a utube vid may help as well.

I do hope thisproject comes off, though i'd be sad to see it missed for lack of funds, and would as I said much rather see a smaller project than no project at all, perhaps with ameter voice acting and less music.

2012-05-13 16:58:54

Hi Fredrik
I'm afraid i can't contribute any funds at all, but I am willing to do work for you since I am an actor and I'm also a musician.  Could you provide a link to the videos that you talked about?

Just contact me if you wanna hear some of my stuff

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.