2012-04-30 09:56:56

Hello everyone. And Today I present, the formerly comercial, now freeware game, Treasures of A Slaver's kingdom. The way this game differs from other IF RPG's is the parser. Save, Restore and Undo are still available, but instead of using commands such as 'get sword' or 'attack goblin', you use five action commands only: parley with (speak with), assail (attack), use (use in some way), sieze (take) and   regard (examine). The game contains a random number generator for battles, and at the beginning of the game you always have the same amount of hit points, 16. Although as far as other skills such as constitution, I suppose the author decided to leave them out. But then again, It's probably because this game was based on incounter critical. You can grab this one at http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/ToaSK.zip.
Give this one a try. It's quite good. It also comes with a rundown version of ToaSK's Inform 7 source code, called Treasures of an unspecified region or district, meant to provide source code if someone wants to make another Incounter Critical game.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-04-30 10:31:34

I've heard of this one before, but wasn't certain if it was a full on rpg or not. With the limited parza though it certainly sounds my type of thing, and I'll certainly have a look at it when I have time, and likely give it a db entry as well if indeed it is a full on text rpg rather than standard, puzzle type if.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-04-30 11:54:44

Link is broken, for me anyways. I get a 404.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-04-30 12:58:59

I've got a 404 error too.

2012-04-30 17:04:51

Here's a working link for the game.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56732914/ToaSK.zip

2012-04-30 17:30:15

It would actually be more helpful to get a correct website for the game than to just keep hosting on dropbox. I've checked baf's guide, but the page for it on http://www.wurb.com/if/game/3101 lists it as a demo, so I presume it's not the full version if the game has been made freeware.

While dropbox hosting is helpful, I do sometimes wish people would try to find the developers' own sites for things rather than instantly bang things up themselves.

So while the hosting is appreciated seria, for actually maintaining the db and for people like myself who wouldn't mind reading about the game, actually finding a propper page for it would be helpful i think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-04-30 18:33:54

Uh, folks?
I'm surprised that no one's checked out their web site! Do you know how interesting it is?

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/toask.htm

2012-04-30 19:39:45

Thanks trentan, the writeup looks pretty cool. Unfortunately the webpage link on baf's was also broken.

Methinks I'll definitely have to try this one out.

2012-04-30 23:30:10

I myself will be "definitely!" taking  a look at it. What a descriptive write up on their site!

2012-05-01 01:58:47

Hi.
winfrots tts doesn't seem to be working. the download page doens't work.
but the homepage does but if you try to download it and run the program from the start menu you will get an error.
could someone help me?
this game seems fun but i can;t play it without winfrots tts i odn't think.
thanks.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-05-01 07:08:44

Remember brad,win frotz tts is based on a version of winfrotz that's ten years old, and has actually had trouble running on post xp windows. The good news however is that actual winfrotz has sapi support.

The sapi is a little irritating to use at the moment, sinse there is no interupt command, and no command to reread the screen without interacting with the game, but it is quite useable.

I did Mail David kinda, the creator of winfrotz about adding some better sapi control, and he said it'd go onto the todo list, though goodness knows when it'll be implimented. It'll be good when it is though sinse then we can retire that old dinosaur winfrotz tts.
In the mean time, I myself find a combination of the in built sapi, and using Supernova's dolphin curse to read selective text to work extremely well, and in fact I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be doable in nvda, indeed if there is some kind of sapi problem, you could always use the nvda  virtual curser straight off, which is exactly what I used to do in supernova back when i started playing if on a win 98 laptop with no sapi at all.

2012-05-01 09:32:41

Hello sailors (sorry, I'm in a Zork mood  today.) I am glad to say that ToaSk is freeware and is full version. I imagine Baf's guide hasn't been updated in a while so that's why is classified as demo. Brad, there is allways the Adventure interpreter from WebbIE. Although not part of the accessibility suite, it is made by the person who created WebbIE. If you don't want to muck about with interpreters, they're's ifiction.org or the  slower and more clunkier Parchment interpreter at http://www.iplayif.org.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-05-01 10:11:46

Moderation!

As said in the site faq, this is about a newly discovered game, so belongs in new releases (I indeed should've moved this the other day).In future, remember if it is a new accessible game, even a game that is new to us, it belongs in new releases.

I'm not sure this is available on ifiction.org, sinse as I remember Ifiction just has a selection of if games from competitions or classic companies, rather than being able to play any zcode title, but winfrotz shouldn't be a problem to use, indeed I find it rather more convenient than the parchment web interpreter personally.

if winfrotz isn't cooperating with nvda as well as you'd like, there is always filfre as well. Myself, I always found the original winfrotz to work best with supernova or indeed with sapi speech, and wasn't as much a Filfre fan, but I've heard it works well with Jaws, though I'm not sure about Nvda.

2012-05-01 13:57:55

hello there
does sound like a nice but different game,and I decided to give it a go. however, I downloaded adventure enterpretor and when I try to open the z8 file in there,it doesn't opens it at all. z5 works fine though. any ideas on how I can get it running with it?
thanks.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-05-01 23:35:46

Hi.
Yeah, this is an awesome game. I love it!
Dark, when was the last time you emailed david about winfrotz? Is it sgtill being developed?
Btw, I've had this game for about a year now, but still like playing it.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-05-02 00:10:43

It was earlier this year Briant, in January I believe, at the same time I started adding if language rpgs to the db.

If it gets too long I'll mail and remind david sinse propper sapi support would be really helpful and not too hard to implement apparently, though he did say the next version of winfrotz might be a while in any case due to usual commitments.

2012-05-02 04:15:22

Hi.

Yes, I've known about this game for several years actually.

I remember when I first found the demo, I thought it was being sold, and i think it was. I remember I really liked the game, but thought I wouldn't buy a text adventure.
Fortunately, I found out it was free and played through it.
The only thing I'm confused on is how to get my player's arm to fall off so i can get the robotic arm to get 2 more weapons?
Well I gave away a spoiler, woops.
Still, the game is nice.
As to winfrotz, I've known about that for a long time. I remember playing the 295 games on an old xp desktop 3 or 4 years ago. I was using winfrotz tts. I never got the regular winfrotz.
As for winfrotz tts, I like it a lot. I believe it is the most blind friendly interpreter. I've tried tads, but i didn't understand it since i had to read from an edit box which got old after a while.
I know winfrotz tts can only play zcode games, but I believe it is a great program accessibility wise.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2012-05-02 07:49:14

At least for NVDA users, the best way to play Frotz adventures, is using "NFrotz" under cygwin under Windows.
Otherwise, Frotz under Linux.

2012-05-03 08:56:53

Hello everyone. Speaking of IF RPG's, Beyond zork definately needs a DB entry if you can get arround  to it. But back to ToaSK, I've had trouble with the robot thing for a while so you not the only one.
Hmm, well as far as Adventure interpreter and *.z8 games go I  had that problem.
I did eventually fix it.
Try changing the extension to .z5 if possible.
I think that's what I did, if not then I Can't remember how I got z8 games to run though.
If you need to change interpreters, If using JAWS, I recommend filfre all the way.
If NVDA, It may be a bit hard but the introduction text is read automatically. Reading text with the mouse is sometimes effective, and you could always try `flat review`.
For zcode, filfre recognises the following formats:
z5 and z8 (they're everywhere), zlb (the only game of this type I know of is the competition version of a game called 'Delightful wallpaper') and .zblorb (nowadays is the majority of games, which means in the future you probably won't be able to play modern IF on BrailleNote if humanware doesn't include blorb support in future).

2012-05-03 13:39:14

I'm still surprised if nvda has a reasonable virtual curser as I believe it now does, that winfrotz won't work much in the way I used it with hal's virtual curser back when I first discovered if games. Winfrotz will play just about anything in zcode, accept for those inform 7, glulx games for which I use winfrotz.

I haven't yet been able to spend as much time as I'd like with TosK, through a combination of some necessary db work, some equally necessary academic work, an rp session and me getting tied up with the joy of blowing up space pirates on Ce big_smile. i will confess not being able to convert the TosK manual to text is a little irritating sinse it means I must read it with the slightly inconvenient and slow adoby acrobat. Still, I'll hopefully get to look at more of the game today.
As to beyond zork, thanks to the iluminian page I have the game and need to have a look at it, however when I looked up this spag review  it sounded much more a traditional zork game with a vague wave at turn based combat and stats, rather like the tads game shadowlands, indeed the reviewer of spag which mostly bombs anything resembling an rpg, liked beyond zork for it's if like elements and infocom puzzles, and even accused the rpg elements of getting in the way of that or pausing the game which doesn't bode well for Beyond zork being a true rpg like kerkercruip, or even an rpg system with the ability to generate some puzzles like Eamon. I'm not sure what the line is betwene traditional if that we don't include and rpgs that we do, and which side beyond zork, or indeed shadowlands falls.

All of the text adventure language rpgs we've had in the db thus far such as kerkercruip and wumpus 2000, are far more distinctly and definitely rpgs than beyond zork and couldn't be mistaken for standard if by any stretch of the imagination, one reason indeed why the usual if community seems to have such a downer on them. Beyond zork also has the complication of being essentially zork 7 with (as I understand it), many references to the other zork games, and therefore a stand alone entry just! for that game might be a little more problematic in continuity terms, though could I suppose still be justified if the rpg features were good enough.

then of course there's the graphical map mentioned, though i take it from the fact you were able to play beyond zork successfully blindncool that this is an optional extra rather than a necessity.

of course there's also a copywrite issue, though sinse activision haven't given a dam about the infocom games for close to 20 years other than selling the trademark to jolt online for the abortive and verry horrible legends of zork, ---- -how you turn one of the most puzzle and writing rich none! rpg systems into a game that's pure grinding to ridiculousness I don't know, and no wonder it closed down. Eitherway, activision haven't shut down iluminian dispite the disclaimer on his site and the fact that the site is extremely well known, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a worry on that score, ---- whether however it is rpg like enough and stand alone enough to count I don't know.

2012-05-03 17:31:03 (edited by queenslight 2012-05-03 18:25:03)

I'll try win  frotz again with NVDA. I still prefer it ia Cygwin, uisng NFrotz, since it automatically speaks everything under there.
Update!
Well, object navagation does work, although considering that NVDA doesn't see the edit box for typing in things?
Hmmm...

2012-05-03 21:00:43

I am sorry, but this link doesn't working.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2012-05-03 22:17:43

Having played Beyond Zork many times, I can tell you that it is not an rpg.  It is an if game with some more focus on combat than the earlier games in the series.  Beyond Zork takes place during the game of Spellbreaker.  The macanic that sets it apart in my own mind is the randomization of each dungeon area and magical items at the start of the game.  You never know where each room is until you play, and you won't know what item does what until you try using it, or have it identified at the magic shop.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2012-05-03 23:34:56

Giovani, the above link i posted was a link to the spag review of beyond zork, not a link to download the game.

Beyond zork can be found on this site with the other infocom gmes.

if you were looking for the actual treasures of a slavers' kingdom game, that can be Found here thanks to Trenton for the link.

@Nina, regarding beyond zork being an rpg, that is as I thought from reading the spag reviews about the game, sinse as I said spag and the if community in general do not look kindly upon rpgs, and prefer complex parza and puzzles. I have however started writing up db entries for rpgs in standard text adventure formats, sinse there are so few accessible rpgs, and it seems a shame to miss them just because they're written in zcode or tads rather than as stand alone programs, particularly for people who are rpg fans but might be less fond of standard if (as in fact is the case with myself).

I don't however plan to start writing up entries for more standard, puzzle based interactive fiction games such as the Zork series, sinse there are far too many of those, and there are already very comprehensive indexes of such things on the net.

This is why deciding on the status of beyond zork, rpg or usual if is important, though from what I've heard thus far I'm more inclined to think of it as a dstandard interactive fiction, puzzle based game with one or two rpg elements than anything like a serious rpg that would warrent including in the db, ---- though if anyone has any other thoughts on beyond zork I'd be interested to here them.

2012-05-04 14:38:46

Hi,
I don't have any thoughts on beyond zork, however I have a thought on another collection of IF that's definitely not standard!
This is called if arcade, featuring games such as centipede, a couple versionf of space invaders (one that you can move between bunkers and battle, one from a ship's perspective), pong, galaxian, and some others. Granted, they're short and I don't know just how worthy they'll be, as they are basically little IF projects. If it's played all in one day as a series it might be more worthy but if someone just plays individual games then it's quite a short experience.