2012-03-04 18:59:01

According to the write up, the extention basically automatically edits double posts into the previous post they come from. Clever idea, and it would indeed stop the bad abuses of double posting I think, ---- provided it's a stable extention, however it also wouldn't allow the good parts and I don't think people would know when a post was edited.

So, we'll try the rule for now, sinse Violinist and others have made the point that there are circumstances where double posting is bennificial.

Hopefully people can behave themselves and be responsable over this so that no further shenanigans are needed, but if not, I will ask Sander to install the extention, ---- sinse the actual files of the board are located on Sanders' server in holland, it is obviously him that needs to install the new stuff if we decide we want it.

either way, thanks for giving us the option there James.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-05 00:16:26

...LOL?  So, if people go double post happy after this, they'll be screwed over even worse if they prov that the community can't control themselves? 

That....or we'll see the beginning of alts being made to post another idea where the previous one is done (like many other forums I've seen that use the double post absorbtion thing) 

...Should we add in the FAQ about alternate accounts.  Sounds like a waste of space if we have people make multiple accounts.  Just forseeing some people's response to their thread being eaten by the forum pages of doom.

2012-03-05 00:39:48

I would like to see that extention installed in the near future. It would make this issue disappear. Just my oppinion though before anyone jumps on my back lol.

2012-03-05 00:44:28

Well I wouldn't say screwed over exactly, more a sort of wait and see.

The majority of people want this and I recognize it's not a one sided point, so we'll go with the majority for now and see what happens, however if indeed as happened a few years ago people go nuts with short pointless posts we may indeed have to think again and maybe install the extention.

Ditto with alts, we've never had rules about it sinse it's never been an issue, but if it does, we'll make a rule, though sinse mods can view members' Ip's, it'd be pretty hard to hide one in any case, and probably pointless to try, plus actually imho rather a lot of work for a very small result.

I've actually setup (and then instantly deleted), a couple of alternate accounts myself on occasions with my private mail address just to test the forum signup or antispam newbie measures, and it really struck me the time it would take filling in the form, waiting for the new signup mail etc is really quite a lot just to bump a topic back up to the list, ---- especially when you can just create a new topic to discuss whatever the issue is in a fraction of the time.

Thus, while I know there are places where alternate accounts are a problem, it's never been one here, and frankly I don't really see why anyone would bother!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-05 01:35:49

I think the only times people would do that is simply just to spam or be annoying. I have seen it on some mainstream gaming forums but, thats about it.

2012-03-05 09:10:28

Well I gave up on gamefaqs after there seemed to be more topics discussing hentai than actual games, and the only other mainstream gaming site forums I've used was the mega man network which was very well moderated.

Certainly all the indi game forums I've been on tend to be okay.

2012-03-05 09:45:12

Hmm... Maybe there should be a kind of combo box where you can chose a reason for double posting. Then one of the moderatores could decide if the reason is fair enough and let the double post get through... smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-03-05 09:48:56

I would go for that.
Of course, since the rule was voted out, no point in worrying about it unless the issue comes up again.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-05 10:15:35

And if it isn't it could be edited into the last post... That would solve the problem I think... Then we just need to know when a post has been deited... smile

2012-03-05 10:38:42

I'm not in favour of that idea Alex, sinse for a start moderators don't necessarily read every! topic on the forum, just those we're interested in (which is a lot), and any that have been reported as dodgy.

I wouldn't therefore like a suggested reason system sinse it'd be hell to keep in check, far harder than the old double posting rule.

We'll see how having no rule at all works, and if there is a problem we could always try James' extention which would solve the problem by removing any and all double posting.

2012-03-05 11:00:34

Well, that's right... smile Haven't thought of that.