2012-02-28 10:42:20

This is to determine the question raised in This topic of whether we should have a rule concerning double posting, ie, two posts made one after another by a person at the end of a topic with no interveening reply.

This does not affect the number of posts by someone in one topic, if another member has replied the second post by the first person is absolutely fine.

If such a rule comes into force, people can only add to their last post if there is no reply by using the "edit post" link under their previous post, and not by posting an extra post after it.

Those who do double post under such a rule will receive a warning, and if they double post persistantly after that warning a short suspention from the forum.
such a rule was suggested in 2009 after many members started posting short, one word messages one after the other, which caused a great deal of untidiness and confusion on the forum. However equally there are situation where legitimately double posting, such as detailing game developement or some other successive process needs to be undertaken.

Sinse this is an issue with two sides, a vote will now take place. If you agree we should have the rule, please hit the "I agree" button. If you believe we should not have such a rule and double posting should be allowed, please hit the "I disagree" button.

The vote will end on Saturday, march 4th, and the majority decision will be the one whic moderators and admins will act upon.

Before voting, please read the below summarization of pros and cons for and against double posting, and considder them carefully and (as far as possible), without bias. Sinse ultimately what is decided here will be the action undertaken.

Double posting:

Pros:
1.  We add the ability to see if someone has posted something new.
2.  We add a level of organization to those who are trying to post something
that needs to be organized in a double posting manner.
3.  We add a quick and convenient way for people who suddenly had a
brainwave and have already finished writing their post, or had an idea they
wished to add to the topic some hours later and did not feel like editing their
previous post, etc.
Cons:
1.  People take advantage of the fact that they can double post and use it to
post in a malicious manner that brings in no  progress for the forum and its
members.
2.  We end up with an unnecessary clutter of headers on the forum as every
new post in a topic creates one of these.
3.  We end up with a fair amount of one line posts that are not necessarily
posted out of malice, but which do not truly contribute to the quality of the
forum or forum growth and progress, for instance:
Post 1
"I can't get shades of doom to work"
post 2
"Or Gma tank commander"
post 3
"it's really irritating"
post 4
"can someone help"

4.  It creates extra work for the moderators, firstly to read yet another post
and to contest its legitimacy, then to carry out the penalty if necessary and
explain why said person was suspended or banned.  I have seen my fair share
of topics out here where people received a penalty and, even after a fair explanation
was given, still did not truly understand it for what it was.  While I
myself would not mind the task, I would never claim that is should be a
moderator's responsibility to have to question the validity of double, tripple
posting streaks, etc.  IN a fast moving thread like that of the game Swamp,
such a thing would be more cumbersome than not.
5.  it might get someone who feels they are legitimately double posting suspended.  Moderators would have to act bassed on opinion and opinion
alone.  What is a bad double post?  A one liner?  If a line only contains a word
of thanks, is it bad?  If I post a question and manage to figure out the answer
before I get it on the forum, then decide to post a "Please disregard my last
post" double post at the end of it, should that then be considered
unreasonable or not?  the mods are only human, and as such, all of our
opinions will differ.  One person might get banned because one mod
considered his or her double post unreasonable, and another might get away
with it because while it was seen by yet another mod, that mod did not
consider it worth thinking about.  This would in turn create confusion on the
board as to what is and what is not acceptable.

(thanks to nocturnus for the very concise summary of points).

So, double posting allows legitimately progressive or threaded replies but opens the possibility to short, pointless messages which the moderators will need to address simply on grounds of "unreasonable behaviour"

Please think carefully and contribute your vote:

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-28 11:12:17

Hi,

My comments.

If we have no double posting rule, there should be a limit. Even if we won't have one, this doesn't say you should just start double posting all the way to hell and back.

I think, if someone over-does it and it gets seen by the admins or mods, he/she deserves a warning. For example those 3 word posts. We should have a rule against those. LOL

In all seriousness though. Just know that should it get disaproved, we did once have it. It was there for a reason. So, if you can, still resist double posting. tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-02-28 11:34:23

As I said in the double posting topic, if the rule goes out, it'll be up to the moderators to decide when double posting is unreasonable behaviour, just like all other behaviour matters such as insulting or flaming, so outing the rule means having trust in our mods.

I've not yet considdered the possible technical solutions to this, sinse there are no ways in the admin pannel or current Punbb extentions that I can see that have anything to do with double posting, ----  if there were I would've used them already.

Thus, any technical solution would need to be hand coded and installed by richard and sander, and being as they're both highly busy with other matters that might well not happen, ---- indeed I wouldn't even say it's a priority, not with all the features we'd like them to code for the db.

So, the bottom line is unless I here different from them, this is a problem which needs to be solved with human judgement not technology.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-28 11:42:28

to prove a point, I myself shall not vote.  I said I didn't care either way, and I meant it.  Though it is true that I have outlined the pros and cons out here, that is all I've done; no bias, no sucking up to anyone.  If you see more cons than pros to this, that is because I honestly believe there are.  Nevertheless, the whole matter is truly trivial to me; I will follow accordingly either way.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-28 11:42:35

Hi,

From what I've seen the couple of months I've been registered, we can trust the mods. Actually, this is one of the most well-modded forums I've been in. There were even a few forums I left due to that very reason. Everyone just started flaming and insulting, and I think everyone understand when I say that it was very difficult to communicate there anymore. It also seemed like the admins and mods didn't care. Hell, even one of their mods even engaged into the whole deal, banning people randomly, just because he felt like it. Even I was banned for a day, without any reason! In fact, I got a mail noting my susspention. The reason was "Just because I could". Umm, sorry but WTF?
I don't want this to happen here. That place was a mess!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-02-28 12:21:41

I will respect the majority and moderate accordingly. I voted for the rule being in place. I hope that if the rule doesn't stick around though, that people don't start tripple posting all over the place.

2012-02-28 12:24:04

I have indeed seen forums like that myself ghorthalen, that is why I attempt to be so careful about rules and reasons for moderation.

This is (along with the audeasy list), the central hub for audio games on the net afterall, so if this forum is chaotic and unreasonable it reflects badly upon the hole business of accessible games.

plus, of course we want this to be a forum with a friendly atmosphere and free discussion, that is neither a chaos of flame wars and insults, nor some nazi moderators personal empire.

That is also why we're careful who we select to be a moderator in the first place, and not just anyone can be a mod for the asking. I'm glad you think we're doing a reasonable job at it.

@nocturnus abstaining is quite okay too. I myself have no actual personal stake in whether we have this rule or not, it is simply a matter of what may or may not be good for the forum, and as there are planely a lot of opinions either way, voting seemed the fairest method to settle the matter.

if people find the reasons balanced on both sides, ---- then feel free to abstain, indeed I suppose I really should've added a third option "Have no preference either way" though if that one got most votes goodness knows what we'd do :d.

2012-02-28 15:35:14

...I feel like posting a link to a topic in GameFAQs...  You want to say double posting mayham, try it with people with alts talking to themselves and the topic of the topic being lost for 4 pages until someone ignored the spammer/quad poster and continued the topic. 
   When the mods have to stop double posters for being "unreasonable" what's unreasonable of one person is reasonable to the poster.  For so those who rule for the rule to be gone, you'll still be screwed over for most double posts you are itching to make in your topics.  We might see  a rise in many dead topics.

I voted for keeping the rule if anyone cares.

2012-02-28 16:51:21

Well Wyvern we'll see. In voting against the rule as I said above, your also trusting the mods to deal with unreasonable double posting behaviour, just as we currently make judgements about what is ot or flaming.

As I said, for or against the majority will have to live with and abide by the consequences of the vote, however sinse obviously opinions are so heavily devided here a vote seemed the fairest way to solve this. Heck, the only reason we have this rule at all was that because in the past many people asked that there should be one.

Remember, though Sander has given me the job of Forum administrator which means that I, ----- assisted by the other moderators, keep day to day order on the forum, there is a big difference betwene keeping order and imposing! order, and while we strive to do the one I very much hope we can avoid doing the other.

My personal opinion based on past experience is that we do indeed need such a rule and that the means do in this case justify the end, but sinse manifestly so many people do not agree, it's time for democracy.

2012-02-28 18:31:14

hahahaha, it seems that the people don't want this rule. i myself want it, but with a slightly modiffied manner. But that is for the coders and i am not one, and as dark said only ritchard and sander can, so... it would be fine if you can see the editing posts of the people can be seen as new content. Again it is just my opinion.

After years, i finally changed my signature! But i don't know what to say :D

2012-02-28 20:16:30

Moderation!

Just to let people know, the other topic about double posting has been deleted, sinse frankly it turned into a massive flame war with huge amounts of negativity.

I think however the ful issue is summarized well enough in the first post of this poll, and as I said, the results from the poll will stand.

i will also ask everybody to please be reasonable about this. It is after all just a matter of forum order, no different from for instance changing the ranks in principle.

The idea of the rule afterall was a majority decision in the past. If the majority feel differently now, ---- well that is what voting is for.

Whether we allow double posting or not, we are still commited to making this forum a friendly and open place for discussion of audio games, and I would hope that is something we can continue doing whatever disagreements about forum rules we may have.

Frankly tempers have been running far too high on this matter up to now.

2012-02-29 00:38:27

Well, i too think that we should have this rool, so i have voted to have it.
Double posting does clutter things, and as was outlined in nocturnus's pros and cons list, just makes things harder to read and creates more form headers to look through. So i agree with dark that we should have such a rool.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-02-29 10:05:06

Well, I think the current results speak for themselves,

2012-02-29 14:01:03

That's unfortunate really, since even using heading navigation you'd still see that the second post was tere. But I'll of course respect whateve te maority decides. At least, as someone else pointed out, these boards are nothing like what goes on at Game FAQs, where the mods seem to ignore folks who genuinely violate the tos and ban people who don't for no apparent reason.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2012-02-29 16:40:19

I do not believe that my concerns received a fair summation, a glancing reference in one sentence of the cons vs full treatment of the legitimate arguments pro.

2012-02-29 17:36:24

I still plan on moderating people who decide to abuse the double post issue. Even if the rule is voted out, i'm not going to let you guys go nuts and tripple post to your heart's content. Just keep that in mind.

2012-02-29 18:43:04 (edited by brad 2012-02-29 18:44:03)

hi.
@themadviolinist
huh?
what i mean buy that is, what do you mean? do you mean that in the other topic you don't think you were listened to? because in this topic you only posted once.

as for the dubble posting thing.
i don't mind if we have it or not. i would preofre not to but if we do i won't  moan.
all i'm going to say on it is. the reason i don't mind it is because well all you do is presss h and then go down read and press h again. and if it is on the same topic i don't see the big fuss.
but saying that, i can see how posting  one word can be anoying and i understand how that can be anoing and i would say dubbble posting is a no no in that case. just because if the person who posted one word posts new you could dubble post you  would see tripple posts and even more posts with just one word in them. wich would be really anoying.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-29 18:50:39

Looks like we need some more to say "YES!!! For God's sake! Yes!"... Or maybe just "I agree!"... smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-29 21:36:30

@arc
Please get off your high-horse,
Yes you are a moderator, we know, stop reminding everyone of this fact!

2012-02-29 21:45:08

First of all robla, i am not on my high horse at all as you put it. I would moderate within reason of course. If someone posted 3 posts in a row for example, and the last two were short posts that could have been added to the first post, i would kindly remind that person to use the edit link, i think it's a useful feature my self. Second of all, i would appriciate it if you could show a little more respect. Attempting to publically flame me only makes you less then agreeable. I would suggest a slight attitude ajustment my friend. Also keep in mind that when i said i won't let you guys tripple post to your hearts content, i was joking. I would not moderate with a heavy hand like that. I do like an organized forum though. I will work on wording my posts in future to avoid topics turning in to issues like this.

2012-02-29 23:31:05

At Robla:  Arc wasn't on a high Horse....he was riding on a wyvren not being able to get off the ground *whimpers*  And do you really want to get on the moderator's bad sides?  Remember, the rule being gone makes judgements based off the moderators opinion, and insulting them is a great way to go down to unreasonable after enough yapping.

It...turned into a flamewar?  Oh no, the descent into forum mayham has begun!  As most people have done in the past, I blame the Cyber elves. 

Rule or not, people are still going to be moderated for double posting.  Just because that rule is gone, doesn't mean you won't get wacked by a moderation stick.  And if you consistently double post because there's now no rule to punish you....hehe...remember it's by moderator's say.  I'll go prepare the grue pit for more use in the future.  *Flies off to go check on Dark's pets*

2012-02-29 23:46:25

Thank you wyvern. You always take what i say lightly, that is very kind of you. And yes, even though the rule may not be in place, we can still moderate double posting based on judgment. And i clarify again, i would probably not even moderate that harshly any way. So robla, feel free to question my posts if you don't understand my tone otherwise, keep the flaming to yourself.

2012-03-01 08:52:55

On the moderation issue, if we don't have a rule, then essentially the double and tripple posting thing will be "fine within reason"

so someone who for instance posted the above example related to shades of doom and multiple messages would get a response like the following:

Moderation!

Person x, you really didn't need to post all those short messages to ask extra questions. While there is no problem with multiple posts in principle, there generally has to be a good reason for it, like giving more information, where as what you have posted related to shades of doom just makes the place untidy.

Please try and be more careful in the future.

that is of course a mild warning, and if the person persisted, matters would get more serious, as indeed is the way with moderation.

I hope that clears things up.

I will say however this is precisely why I myself believe we need a rule on this matter, to exactly clear up these sorts of situations rather than leaving them to a "yes that was unreasonab.e" "no it wasn't" type of arguement.

still as I said I will go with the majority.

@violinist, I know nocturnus in creating the summary was trying to cover all points in favour or against, however your long explanation from the now deleted thread, ---- though it did make sense was a bit too long to cover in the summarization in full.

You are however very welcome to rewrite your reasons here, indeed it's exactly for the good reasons you mention of addressing different subjects in different multiple posts that I was prepared to hold this vote in the first place, sinse I do recognize this is not a one way issue.

@robla, lets not go down that road again. The other topic was deleted because of the massive flamewar that got started there. I would much prefer if this topic remains civil, and personal remarks are kept out of it.

Accusing someone of "being on a high horse" is afterall not exactly polite, ---- though that might not be true of a lower wyvern :d.

2012-03-01 09:09:02

This is precisely what I tried to outline in the other topic; a consistent rule is better than no rule and a matter of judgement.  No drinking and driving means exactly that, no drinking and driving.  if the rule did not exist and every law enforcement officer was asked to police the roads for drunk drivers who were dangerous owing to being drunk, officers would then have to make a judgement on experience and belief rather than concrete reason; it would no longer be an issue of weather a man or woman was drunk and driving or not, but an issue of weather in fact the officer believed that person could cause major harm with a car because of their alcohol level and other contributors.  Obviously some people are better at handling their alcohol than others, and some will drive better than others, but to have to go on a case by case basis would just stink, and I doubt people would be very happy with the results.  smile

Luckily for all of us, the double posting issue is nowhere near as dangerous as drunk driving; I just used that as an example.  Once we vote the rule out, there will be no solid foundation to go on, and I sincerely hope everyone who has voted to have no ruel will be ok with that.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-03-01 10:57:34

I agree nocturnus, this is exactly why I proposed a serious rule in the first place to cover the issue, sinse then everyone knows where he/she stands.

I'll be quite happy going with the majority on this, I just hope like yourself that the majority are prepared to abide by the consequences if they do decide not to have such a rule.