2012-02-23 20:31:31

hi.
for a start when you post in this foroum it says count. in sted of subbject of message. or something like that. just thought i would let you know so you may be able to fix it.
now to my question.
wouldn't it be a lot easyer if you used spin boxes insted of edit boxes?
i mean in sted of say typing in 10 you just aro down and find ten or just rite in the number?

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-24 09:37:04

I don't know what you mean by "count" there brad, it seems fine on this end.

As to the polls, we can't really change that.
Punbb is a pre made board system that's a little like one of those flat pack sets of furniture. You get the system, you then have certain settings to play with, and there are a number of extentions that may be downloaded to do extra stuff if you want. Some extentions, ---- like the ones to do with avatar images, obviously Sander didn't bother installing, and others, like the security capture have been disabled.

Obviously this system makes the forum a lot easier both to manage, and to install, sinse if Richard and Sander would've had to write their own bb system they wouldn't have been able to code the database, ---- which is afterall the important thing.

The polls thing was simply an extention that I happened to see on the list of available ones and thought would be a helpful feature to have on the forum.
I can't control how it's displayed or how it works, it really is a wysiwyg situation, ---- that is, what you see is what you get.

And to be honest, just having to type numbers istead of a list box doesn't really seem too bad to me at all, indeed it is in one way better sinse if you wanted a poll to expire after say a year for some crazy reason you could do that quite easily, where as it'd mean having a very large listbox to go through otherwise.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-24 22:30:43

Hi.
thanks.
ahh true about the year thing.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-26 05:00:37

Erm, I'm having a problem with the poll system. For instance I wanted a poll to last a day. I set the count to 24, so I could at least have a vote per hour. When I hit enter on "submit", my topic came back up with a thing that said "number of votes and  Count of days can't......". No I literally mean it said ... and I have no idea what that means. And no matter what I type in, I always get that same message. Very odd.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-26 10:36:43

blindncool, I think your complicating things far too much.

if you want a poll to last a day, just put 1 in the days column, nothing else is needed.

the total number of votes is just if you want a poll to close when it's had a certain number of votes, say 100 rather than closing after a set amount of days.

That's it, it's actually pretty straight forward.

As to number of votes per hour, I'm not sure what you mean there. Everyone gets one vote on a poll, that is all, and keeps things fair, it's not like karma where you can give someone more karma, sinse afterall a vote is supposed to be democratic. All altering the number of votes does is change when your poll closes as I said, and is therefore not needed if your poll is to close after a certain amount of time.

hope that's clear.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-26 12:10:46

Wow dark Thanks. Your helpful hints and humourous insanity will always be appreciated. Well at least in the audiogames comunity - I don't know how the Texan folks would react to a brit who's always in sane, and always blames everything on nonexistant elves of the cyber variety. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! big_smile

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-26 12:45:57

Well I'm not sure on texons, but them thar elf varmets ain't gonna get past me to cause truble in this yar town, no Sirree bob! Yeeeeehaaaw!

Sorry, I know cowboys aren't the only! thing in texus, and real texons don't go around shooting up the place with six guns, the same way real brits don't say "bloody" every sentence or constantly bang on about cricket, fair play and the queen, ---- still some sterriotypes are fun to mess around with just so long as people remember they are! sterriotypes.

Now criky! where the bloody hell did I put my jolly fine elf smacker by charley! ---- Dam things lost what?  ---- bad show old boy!that's

2012-02-26 12:56:52

That was terible! LOL! Your thinking about wild west texans Dark, not the more modern ones. We hardly use horses as transportation, we no longer solve problems with shootouts, and the republicans are more respected. Since I have been a part of this forum and listening to your podcasts, I think I might be catching your insanity gene. Of cource I wouldn't mind since I'm already insane in the membrane 96% of the time.

2012-02-26 14:16:07

Such a shame, sinse cowboys are cool! ---- in fact if you've never seen the Firefly series and film you really should! they're fantastic, a western like story set in space in the 25th century.

As for insanity, I'm perfectly sane, it's just the rest of the world that's nuts, ---- which once again probably still all the cyber elves' fault.

2012-02-26 14:22:41

Still not getting the elves thing, but where can I watch this firefly? And with no comercials---And we all know who's fault comercials are --- Those blasted cyborganic midgets!

2012-02-26 16:06:25

No idea on where I'm afraid, it's certainly available on dvd though. There is just the one series and the serenity film, though people really want to see more of it.

it was from the same writer as Buffy the vampire slayer, but while that's a series I've never seen or got into, and have heard mixed reports about, Firefly is universally loved by many people.

For more info see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

I'd deffinately recommend it though if you can wrent it or get hold of it some other way.

2012-02-27 05:37:26

Thanks Dark.