2012-02-20 23:26:03 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-02-20 23:28:59)

Full archive download
315mb, last updated 3:20 PM 2/20/2012

Hey everyone!

You may remember last year I released a group of games in java.
You may also remember that lots of people couldn't get it to work.
So I've finally converted it to something that everyone should be able to run:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/JeqoconB.zip
That's 315 megs. Extract it all, or none of the sound will work.
There are a few missing music files, and a few small bugs, but it's overall complete enough that I just wanted to post it.

First thing to notice: there are three options in the game selection menu, but only two of them work.
Now, let's continue:

• While in a game, you can press escape to return to the game selection menu and switch to the other one (or reset the current one, I guess?)

• Press F5 to adjust voice options, such as selecting what voice to use (if a screen reader is running, you can use that, too!), speaking rate, even pitch if you're using sapi5.

• Both games are designed with console-style controls in mind. You can adjust these in both games if you can find the configure controls options. The arrow Keys and enter should be enough to get you there, but if not, I'll list the defaults later on in this post.

• The information buttons have been greatly improved from the java version. Instead of reading everything at once, they open lists that you can navigate with the arrow keys, or whatever directional buttons you've assigned in config. For DBGU, f1 covers everything. the JF IM Adventure has a menu for characters (F1) and one for items (F2).

• In the JFIMA, you can press F3 to hear the general area that you're in. One of the big issues people were having was getting lost in the first area, so this should help you get a better idea of where you are.

• In DBGU, F2, F3 and F4 should let you save, load, or adjust save slot (I don't remember which is which at the moment, but I think F2 is save, F3 is change slot, and F4 is load. I'm not certain, though.).

• In both games, F8 mutes or unmutes background music. F9 and F10 adjust the BGM volume.

• I was having an issue in the JFIMA with sound getting frozen about three quarters of the way through. I haven't had this happen for a while, but I added a backup method for refreshing the sound system. So if you can still hear sapi say what makes sense for what you press, but no sfx are playing, press F11. If this doesn't fix it, please let me know!

• The topography cues in the JFIMA are the same as for Mario. An electric ping-type sound is something higher than where your feet are, a bizarre sort of wind sound is a drop. If the wall sound rises in pitch, it indicates a slope. There are door and ladder sounds as well, but I ... don't think I can describe those.

• I'll try to find the disorganized documentation I have scattered about. Hopefully it will eventually be included in the archive.

Anyway, those default controls.
It's designed to support two players at the same keyboard, so there are two sets of controls. Remember that you can adjust as needed.
Left / A
Right / S
Up / W
Down / Z
F / Numpad1 (button 1)
G / Numpad2 (button 2)
H / numpad3 (button 3)
R / numpad4 (button 4)
T / numpad5 (button 5)
Y / numpad6 (button 6)
space / enter (start)

You won't be using 4 5 or 6 in DBGU, but they are essential to the JFIMA.
The way the fighting system in DBGU works, what the commands actually do in-game will vary from character to character, so this list of defaults is more a "most often" list.

DBGU:
left = move left
Right = move right
Up = jump
down = crouch
1 = punch, read selection at a menu or in subtitles
2 = kick, previous menu or select character /item.
3 = In-game menu, confirm menu selection.
Also, press 1 when the game is paused to have your inventory sorted. It's not necessary, but I found that it's very easy to get lost in there, so I added this ability.
Subtitles that don't pause the game might get spoken several times. You can usually press control to put a stop to this if it gets annoying.

JFIMA Controls:
left = turn/move west
right = turn/move right
up = turn/move north
down = turn/move south
1 = attack
2 = guard, examine/interact, power up.
3 = Jump
4 = Hold to use the accessible camera to examine your surroundings (see below).
5 = Hold to access inventory or party menu (see below...)
6 = Crouch. I know it seems far from jump, but in the default layouts they're actually right beside each other.

The accessible camera only moves in 2d, but you really only need it to move in 2d. Press the guard/examine/ki button with it active to bring the camera to your position, then use the arrow keys to move it around. It will play topography sounds for tiles at different heights, or the landing sound of the tile if the height is the same. (Or the sound for bumping into a barier if the tile is more than three meters higher than you are).
The controls for the party/inventory menu are a little arbitrary, largely because I kinda just ran out of things that made sense.
Left/right will select a different party member and read their health.
Up/down will move through your inventory.
1 (attack) will drop whatever item is selected.
2 (guard/examine/ki) will have you try to face the nearest enemy, if any are in range.
3 (jump) activates/deactivates an item. Note that it doesn't make a sound when you equip things in the armor category. I often find myself pressing up and then down just to hear the game tell me if it equipped successfully or not.
6 (crouch) will have you switch to the selected party member, if possible.

Dropbox tells me that it will take four hours to upload, while when I started typing this it told me 3. Also, expect my dropbox to get temporarily disabled for too much traffic shortly after the upload is complete, since that happened last time with a smaller archive. (Mirrors will be appreciated!)

Documentation and such...

JFIMA Help
DBGU Quick walkthrough
DBGU more thorough walkthrough (incomplete)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-21 04:19:02

banzai! here goes big_smile
btw is there a ay to find  all the moves? cause last time I got my ass kicked hehe

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-02-21 10:18:25

does that meen they are in bgt now?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2012-02-21 10:57:34

At DD: Right now the only way is to experiment. I'll try to write some movelists at some point...
At Bladestorm: It should take you to the main menu of whatever game you picked and not the game selection menu. I don't know what could be going wrong there. yikes
At Connor: Yes.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-21 11:18:36

I haven't tried it yet... But is it like playing on a GameBoy?

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-21 11:43:06

Hi.
wow you did it!
ahah can't wait to try this out. i bet i get fearther in dbz now because it might be faster.
yay.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-21 12:27:38

hey cae jones when I try to enter the zip file it gives me an error that it cant open this file. please help me.

2012-02-21 17:05:47

Connor, it sounds like the file downloaded incorrectly. All I can suggest is trying to download it again. sad

Bladestorm, this is very strange. I tried it a couple times with my copy to be sure nothing broke when I compiled it, and it seems to work just fine. However, I did notice that there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate what to do when you select play game on the JFIMA. What happens is that there's a bit of dialog, but it starts with a blank line, so sapi doesn't say anything (there's supposed to be some background sound to at least let you know you're in the game, but for some reason that doesn't work). Anyway, after you select play game and press start, try pressing jump a few times. If that still doesn't work, then the problem is quite strange.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-21 17:18:41

wel, I had the same thot as you didd cae, so I downloaded the game 2 more times, and stil that error.

2012-02-21 17:25:58

Very strange! If I can figure out how to get sendspace to work, should I send it to you that way?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-21 17:28:20 (edited by Shadowcat 2012-02-21 17:44:42)

nah sendspace won't even take it, the fil is over 300 megs
also the soundfor gotenks's kamehameha is missing
btw cae, just being curious did you ever think of turning DBGU into an original DBZ game say saiyajin to frieza saga? the same system, that could work *begins wondering about the possibilities*:P

2012-02-21 17:46:14 (edited by brad 2012-02-21 18:17:37)

Hi.
i downloaded the game and it is fine for me.
only one problem. j f m i advencher has some error s in it.
here is the error.
i'm not sure how this will help but anyway.
Call stack size: 3

File: C:\Users\planet seva\jeqo\games\JeqoconB\games.bgt
Line: 6174 (2)
Function: void JFIMA::keyPressed(int)

File: C:\Users\planet seva\jeqo\games\JeqoconB\play.bgt
Line: 45 (2)
Function: void key_check()

File: C:\Users\planet seva\jeqo\games\JeqoconB\play.bgt
Line: 79 (2)
Function: void main()

this is great it runs so much faster and is so quick. i mean i got to the d b z thrid level hmm fird stage? in about five mins.
so was going to try j f m i but that error thing came up. oh now i am goign to read your key strokes so that i can play j f m i.
thanks for making such a great game.
/edit/
i don't get j m f i. what do i do. i no i walk around and pick up things but how do i pick up things?
for example i found a mashettie? but couldn't pick it up and erm i might have died after trying lol.

2012-02-21 18:27:57

Brad, that's... a very weird error. I can only think of one thing that might have caused it... that being if you pressed the guard/ki/examine button before picking a character.
Though that still shouldn't crash it, so that'll be fixed if ever there is another update.

DD, I've been trying to make a decent accessible DBZ game for years... I've just not had a lot of success. Maybe if I could port that js RPG to BGT, and clean it up a bit... although it'd probably still want voices, which means I'll still have to inch my way through that huge list of voice files ripped from Sparking Meteor. tongue. Well, and I suppose that'd imply that people would need to have said game to legally download it, but that's probably the most accessible DBZ game out there, anyway.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-21 20:58:35

hahaha, it works! oh yeah! after the fourth download, ti works! hadoken! lol.

2012-02-21 21:39:05

A bit of a note on the JFIM Adventure I thought might be worth mentioning:
The clerk in the hardware store doesn't talk at all times like the others. He's directly east of the entrance, though.
I only say this since that's the first source for new weapons.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-22 02:02:18

The jump button _should_ do something. Which controls are you using? Did you configure them beforehand?
If not, Once you've picked play game, press H or numpad3 a few times.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-22 02:05:36

@cae wait you ripped the sounds from sparking meteor? could I possibly have them? haha I want to add to my collection

2012-02-22 06:29:03

I almost had a heart attack when I over heard jaws reading how long it would of taken to download the first time:  Estimated time:  89.0 hours...

It ended up being 42 minutes, downloading it now.  Will report on how well it did when I can.

2012-02-24 22:16:16

I cant understand what I ned to do in dragonball someone sed that I need to aproach some islands from the air I am on a path and there is water on each side but I don't know hat to do, please help!

2012-02-24 22:27:47

Go to the right. Jump, or fly if you're Gotenks (press down while jumping for flight).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-25 09:29:43

so, I need to fly when I am in the water?

2012-02-25 12:20:23

Hi.
nope.
you nead to fly when you are on land.
so choose gotenks  jump up press down aro and you will fly now hold down rite aro to fly rite and left to fly left.
also to get down you nead to use a move wich makes you charge an blast of ki and land. hmm i think it is rite rite 2 or something like that. i'm not sure.
hope this helps.

2012-02-25 14:39:55

Not necessarily, but it helps.

... Woah, I got a sixty second warning. XD

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-25 22:54:53

hey cae, there seems to be a bug in the first few stages that makes it so you can't continue on unless you use a teleport item, and then if you run out you can't move on cause there's no path to go to in the first place
also could you give me some good key moves some some of the chars? I know these
gotenks
f+1 in air diving punch? that's what it sounds like anyways
b+1 small kai blast
HCB+1 kamehameha? not sure cause there's no sound atm
d+1+2 SSJ power up?
f+2 in air jump kick
goti
HCB or is it HCF+1 orange ray
b+1 some sort of blast, idk haha
that's about all I can remember hehe
as you can see i really like to main gotenks haha

2012-02-25 23:34:13

so when i try to play JFIM adventure, and i asign a button for crouch, an error message pops up that i can't coppey because jaws won't read it for some reason.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.