2012-01-20 20:36:12

I find that I am in need of a better text editor than Notepad, or at least one that adds functionality for programming.  What do folk use if you use something other than Notepad?

2012-01-20 20:43:52

What sort of functionality would you be looking for?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-20 22:44:05

indentation I don't have to think about except when it changes, jump to line number, maybe braces checking.  Since BGT isn't standard code for other languages, I'd not expect any syntax checking or direct compiling tools to work, but if I'm wrong about that, hey, awesome.

I tried PsPad, but at least in NVDA, the characters in the open file didn't read when I arrowed across them, though I could read them to some extent with the review cursor.  I didn't try it with JFW.

2012-01-20 23:01:30

The programs list on www.whitestick.co.uk (a site that everyone should know about), has a link to something called note tab light, that is supposed to be an upgraded version of windows notepad, how good it is I don't know.

Personaly, accept for my phd which has to be done in ms word, I do all my writing (including html coding for audiogames.net), in wordpad. It's a little more sophisticated than notepad, has things like wordwrap and ctrl backspace to delete words, but is quicker to use than ms word without the slowdown that I've sometimes noticed, pluss of course I can write html in it and have it come out okay.

I'm not sure if wordpad would do more complex programming like Bgt, but certainly I find it's the word processor I use most.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-21 00:39:54

So far, I have been using notepad to write my bgt script. I have found that if you have wordwrap turned off in notepad, then all you have to do to jump to a line is to do a ctrl+g. then I give it the line number and hit enter. I will go take a look at that program dark.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-01-21 00:46:14

And for counting braces, there's always this.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-21 20:03:14

I've found a shareware application called textpad which, among other things, allows you to configure it to call a compiler and pipe the compiler/linker output to a window in Textpad with links for the error that drop you right where the error is flagged, though I haven't yet set that up as I'm not familiar with BGT's command line sequence, since I've been using the context menu on the script I'm writing to invoke the interpreter.  It also contains other goodies and is completely usable with a screen reader.

2012-01-21 21:16:38 (edited by gamefighter 2012-01-21 21:19:56)

Hi,
I'm using notepad in bgt, but if an editor comes with a pacage like autoit or PureBasic, I use it instead of using notepad, because these editors are customiced for the programming language wich pacage they come with, so they make it a lot more easier to coding than notepad do.

Check me out on soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/gamefighter

2012-01-22 06:36:04

hello
funnyly enough,I use wordpad for the same reasons that dark does.sometimes MSWord slows down a little. First I thought it was because of jaws,but since dark's useing hal,so MS can go to hell!lol. MSWord,that is....:d
as for another text edditor so far I don't know of any,but if someone manages to find a better one,I'd be willing to give it a go.
textpad. hmm I'll be giveing it a go if there's a demo of it or something.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-01-22 09:54:05

I was messing around with something today and I'd like to post it for people to try.  This is an afternoon's attempt at a BGT IDE.  The program, affectionately named Blast Buddy, is meant to work a lot like notepad but have features that will help BGT developers code.  I still have plenty of things I could add, but it's working well enough that I figured I'd toss this here to get some early feed back.  The readme file explains its features, but since 90% of people won't read it I will paste it here right after the download link.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/Blastbuddy.zip

Blast Buddy
-----------
by Aprone, developed with Philip Bennefall's BGT in mind.

The program should operate very similar to windows notepad with only a few changes meant to help developers.  For starters, when you leave a line, Blast buddy will check it for some common errors.  At the moment it only checks for 2 types, forgetting quotes or forgetting the semi colon at the end of a line that needs it.  In either case, the program will beep and speak the estimated error to help you catch it before moving on.

Think of your program as existing on a set of tiers or levels.  On the bottom most tier zero, you have your include statements and functions.  Your functions become tier 1 and the lines of code within them are on this tier.  If you have a block IF or loop inside of your function, this would become tier 2 along with the code inside of it.  Nested statements can continue branching out into higher and higher tiers.  One of the most difficult things about programming can be keeping track of these tiers and knowing when they end.

Blast buddy has a way to use these tiers to simplify things.  Use Alt + Page up and page down to filter your code based on tiers.  When set to "all", every line of your code appears.  When set to tier zero, the normal up and down arrows would only be seeing your lowest tier code such as include statements and functions.  Moving up to tier 1 would expand that a bit more.  This can be a quick way to overview what you're working on, without needing to scroll through 40 lines of code nested within an IF block.  Sometimes all you need to read is the line saying "If (age == 18)" and you already know this is now the place you wish to add more code.  I can't say for sure, but I hope this ability to condense or expand the view will help developers with speed and also with viewing their project in a more managable way.

Another interesting filter method is the comments setting.  Alt + Page down will lead you to this setting right below "all".  When in this mode, the only lines that will show up are the ones where you have written comments.  If you are someone who comments sections, dropping down to this view could be the absolute fastest way to shrink your code down into an easy to understand format.  Once you find the spot you're looking for, simply expand your view and continue working as normal.

This was thrown together pretty quickly so there are some things that probably won't work quite right, and a few things I still mean to add.  You can't highlight multiple lines for the purpose of copying and pasting.  Line numbers aren't displayed anywhere.  You can't use a find or replace feature.  And finally, soft background tones of different pitch will eventually play as you move up or down in tiers.  This will hopefully make it much easier to visualize where you currently are in the code.

I intend to add support for more types of checks.  It would be nice for Blast buddy to check for case and spelling errors in the BGT key words.  It would also be neat for Blast buddy to track the variables names you use, to catch you if you spell one incorrectly later on during your coding.  I'm not sure what all will be done with this, but it is fun to brainstorm.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-01-22 11:34:32

hello all
lol,yet again aprone has baked up a software quite fast,and something which some of us were looking for.why search the net for softwares when aprone's here?:d
although I don't code in bgt or in any other language yet,but I was looking at the manual the other day.lets see if I code or try a few example scripts I'll use this to see how it gos.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-01-22 16:36:20

Thanks Grryfindore, lol.  First off I want to apologize to CAE_Jones because I noticed that I packaged his bracket counting code in to my zip!  Since I don't yet code with BGT myself, I had downloaded it so that I would have something to open and test on, and in my hurry I had highlighted it along with everything else when I zipped up the program to post.  I've taking it back out now.

This is just one of those things that might be kind of cool, it might suck, or it might end up being super popular.  I have no idea, but just in case, it was worth posting.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-22 18:00:48

Heh, didn't bother me. smile
I would like to play with this some more when I get the chance... which probably means tomorrow. sad
Aprone is still awesome.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-22 19:46:36

Hey Aprone, you're awesome. I will use this thing when I code.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-01-22 19:49:33

Burak when you use it, let me know of any features that would help you.  I don't code in BGT myself yet, so I'm not entirely sure what features BGT developers will want most.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-22 20:12:08

You could also try my own text editor. It is called 6pad, and is a more general replacement for notepad, open source, and completely accessible of course.

Direct download link (zip 300K) http://quentinc.net/6pad/?dl=en121

Quick list of features :
* 100% accessible, only using standard windows controls
* Small and portable (less than 500 KB, no installation needed)
* Ability to open big files quickly (3-4 times faster than windows notepad, max file size 1GB)
* Management of encoding and line ending types (13 encodings)
* Open multiple files in different tabs
* Search/replace with perl regular expressions
* Lua scripting with a quite complete API, allowing to customize the editor to your needs

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2012-01-23 16:33:26

My thanks to Aprone and aminiel.  I am happy with Textpad, but I'm going to try both of these alternatives to see if I like either better.  We should support our own after all.

2012-01-23 18:09:10

I've updated that Blast Buddy program again, but rather than hijack this thread I've created a new one in off topic.

- Aprone
Aprone's software