2012-01-18 14:28:08

I know there are probably a few people right now reading this topic thinking, "Why Salem, you use NVDA, not JAWS!  What is this garbage?"  Well, some of us have not yet come to the light, and I do the work for those who still use rather expensive screen readers developed by unreasonable companies, and because they have actually paid for the product they refuse to try a free screen reader as their money would seem useless then.

Today though, I have been absolutely stumped by a problem I haven't the slightest idea on how to solve.  As mentioned before, I use NVDA; a friend of mine is using JAWS, and she is currently struggling to read all of the information on her contacts list.  If the name is too long, it might be truncated, or if the status message is long, part of it will not be read.  She tried to the best of her abilities to fix it, for she loves a chalenge, and failed, at which point she presented me with the problem and asked if I had ever had it.  As it was, on my Vista machine I had been having that problem with JAWS and Miranda for the longest time.  I know that resizing the window helps temporarily, but nothing seems to work beyond that, and more over, it's hard to know just how much the window should be widened every time this ugly thing rears its ugly head again.  I loaded JAWS to test this out, and in truth, no matter what changes I make to the contact window, it will not cooperate!  Any ideas and thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-01-18 18:21:18

You may wish to try "BlindClist" from:

http://www.pescuma.org/miranda/bclist/lang/en/

This works with any screen reader on Windows.

Hope it helps!

Kind Regards,

Trenton Goldshark

2012-01-18 20:10:12

Ello there,

Unfortunately, that plugin is the one set by default with her miranda configuration.  Is there some setting in the options menu pertaining to that plugin that might make a difference?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-01-18 21:14:06

To make sure your friend is using Blind Clist and not the standard contact list, have her go to the options screen within miranda, go to the plugins branch of the treeview, tab til you hear a list view, which is the list of available plugins, then finally, arrow down til you hear the blind clist plugin, and press space to check it. By default, it should be"unchecked."
Hit enter or tab to ok and hit enter.
Restart Miranda, and all should be good!

Please let me know on your result!