2012-01-18 09:22:29

Hi all.
After being successfull in fixing several family computers the idea has been put to me I should make it a business.
However over fixing them I have almost no idea on where to start.
If someone knows please try to answer as many questions as possible.

I can:
speed up a system, defrag it, do a virus scan with msse, avg, etc.
I can use ccleaner to clear registry, kill troublesome programs, etc.
I can empty junk files.
I can do updates.
in short I can service a system as long as it boots.
I can't, read bios, dissassemble and fix hardware, or reinstall an os or reformat a hard drive.
Neither can I do any repairs without sound or if nvda my reader refuses to read the screen.
Neither can I handle complex and visual uninstallers, or security software.
How will that limit me.
2.  How easy or is it feesable for a blind person to be able to easily dissemble and reassemble a computer should one have to.

3.  What are the legal things on installing screen readers etc to do one's job, although for the most part I plan to avoid all the licencing issues by using freeware/opensource software, however if I need to use say jaws or hal to access a system, site licences asside, how is this exactly handled should this become an issue.
Also how do I say uninstall say my reader ie hal, nvda since uninstall does not speak.

Since I have access to all the data etc, what happens if the unthinkable happens, the system explodes in my face or windows decides to go south meaning all data is lost.
Is there any insurence I can take for this and on how much, what legal issues would I run into and how to get over them.
Also what happens if as it will probably do from time to time something does cock up majorly.
I don't have a cash base like a lot of businesses go, and if anything does go south, I would never have to pay fines or anything and have to go to jail.
If I went to jail, it would essentually just stop my business so avoiding the worse case scenario would be good.
If it all goes south though how can I minimise any real dammage.
Obviously I can tell my customers to backup their stuff before they get me on their systems but a lot don't.
I may have more questions later but this is just for starters.
This thing has been stuffing round in my head for about 10 years.
one other thing is my output, I can probably only do 1-2 units a week with an average 2 day turn around on each, and as long as they have xp I can do things ok.
While its true I have a fully working coppy of hal 5.21 again I have issues making things go away afterwards.
thanks

2012-01-18 14:25:41

hi chawn,

pretty good point, but what exact kind of business are you looking for to do?

I mean, if you were to repair a computer, using cleaners or defragmenters may become quite boring, since everyone can do it on their own.

if you want to repair things, you might have to focus more on other things, and i didnt understand why would someone even pay you for just speeding up computer, or scanning for viruses, or defrag or whatever.

well I dont think that blind people would be succesfull at the computer repairing business, however you can do  a computer training business at a local blind school where at least you can teach small blind students how to operate the computer, or how to do things, etc.
that one sounds pretty good in compaired to repairing business, you know.

guys like aprone might know more about things like  getting you into jail or stuff , though.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-18 15:36:42

lord, that cracked me up.guys like aprone might know more about things like  getting you into jail or stuff , though.
how many people have you send to prison,aprone?:d. just kidding.
crashmaster,the most times people get engineers to fix their pcs is when a virus has infected their pc's to a level that,uninstalling installing etc is quite difficult,or sort of impossible. as  for installing different screenreaders to rep a system,into a pc,and then uninstalling it,there's a eazy fix for that.use portable softwares.NVDA has a portable version where you don't have to install anything at all,just click on nvda.exe,and close your ears,as you'll be hereing the Espeak.ahem,ignore the closeing of the ears stuff... I get a bit carried away sometimes
and as for reinstalling and reformating,is the OS,is something which's importent as well,as almost 50% of the times people need a format.actually make it 40ish.
just state it to your custummer,that you won't be responceable sorry about the spellings for any data that might be lost during the repair,and please backup anything importent .or something like that.
Hope that helps a little,even if it doesn't,it was a good read,yeah?:d
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-01-19 06:57:42 (edited by Alexander_john 2012-01-23 09:43:56)

crashmaster wrote:

Hi all.
After being successfull in fixing several family computers the idea has been put to me I should make it a business.
However over fixing them I have almost no idea on where to start.
If someone knows please try to answer as many questions as possible.

I can:
speed up a system, defrag it, do a virus scan with msse, avg, etc.
I can use ccleaner to clear registry, kill troublesome programs, etc.
I can empty junk files.
I can do updates.
in short I can service a system as long as it boots.
I can't, read bios, dissassemble and fix hardware, or reinstall an os or reformat a hard drive.
Neither can I do any repairs without sound or if nvda my reader refuses to read the screen.
Neither can I handle complex and visual uninstallers, or security software.
How will that limit me.
2.  How easy or is it feesable for a blind person to be able to easily dissemble and reassemble a computer should one have to.

3.  What are the legal things on installing screen readers etc to do one's job, although for the most part I plan to avoid all the licencing issues by using freeware/opensource software, however if I need to use say jaws or hal to access a system, site licences asside, how is this exactly handled should this become an issue.
Also how do I say uninstall say my reader ie hal, nvda since uninstall does not speak.

Since I have access to all the data etc, what happens if the unthinkable happens, the system explodes in my face or windows decides to go south meaning all data is lost.
Is there any insurence I can take for this and on how much, what legal issues would I run into and how to get over them.
Also what happens if as it will probably do from time to time something does cock up majorly.
I don't have a cash base like a lot of businesses go, and if anything does go south, I would never have to pay fines or anything and have to go to jail.
If I went to jail, it would essentually just stop my business so avoiding the worse case scenario would be good.
If it all goes south though how can I minimise any real dammage.
Obviously I can tell my customers to backup their stuff before they get me on their systems but a lot don't.
I may have more questions later but this is just for starters.
This thing has been stuffing round in my head for about 10 years.
one other thing is my output, I can probably only do 1-2 units a week with an average 2 day turn around on each, and as long as they have xp I can do things ok.
While its true I have a fully working coppy of hal 5.21 again I have issues making things go away afterwards.
thanks

Hey,
  Now a day more then 90% people use computer , and thats why i think computer repairing business can give more benefits.its nice thinking to start such a business.
Casio G-Shock Review

2012-01-19 13:23:49

but there are cons to that if you dont have a good foundation.

hire up a sighted helper, then you might be ok.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-19 13:44:25

I can't speak for legal issues but here's what I can answer.

As mentioned portable software is your friend. NVDA, CCleaner, and Defraggler all have portable versions. You can stick them in an autorun CD or a flash drive. A USB headset may or may not be helpful for times when sound isn't available, or a set of portable headphones if the user has sound but no speakers.

I haven't used them personally but I believe it is possible to make a disc for an unattended install of Windows. This can be a little specific to each machine due to drivers and those key codes for the installer. A google search should help here, I know I found a lot of information but had no pressing need to make such a disc presently.

The internals aren't too bad for the most part but here are some of the bigger issues. While you can tell most cables apart and most are polarised, meaning they only fit one way around, you won't be able to read the labels on the motherboard which indicate whether the cable is connected to the first, second or whatever such connector. As an example old PATA hard drives need to be in IDE 1 and not 2. Any motherboard which requires the use of jumpers or dip switches could pose a problem but these only need to be changed if you need to make a big system change like a new processor, most new motherboards should auto sense a processor though. If you ever need to replace a motherboard or make a new computer from scratch you won't be able to connect the wires from the chassis, that is the case, for the power/reset switches and the LEDs on the front.

Installing a motherboard in an empty case is doable if awkward, watch your hands because a lot of cases have sharp areas which can give you a cut. Nothing fatal but by hell it hurts and it may cause very slight bleeding. Installing a processor is doable though the cooling unit can be awkward with all the thermal goop. Memory is easy as hell, cards including graphics networking or sound are easy as hell, drives both optical and hard are physically perfectly possible but remember a hard drive replacement may require the transfer of data if the old one isn't broken.

If you're concerned about screwing up the data you can always try taking an image of the hard drive first however. Similar software should allow you to transfer data from an old but functional hard drive to a new one, you'll probably want an external hard drive enclosure or two though so you can connect a hard drive to your computer by USB. Remember a lot of older machines are likely to still use parallel ATA not SATA.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2012-01-20 07:52:12

hi cx2 and all.
Well transfers are fine by me.
My plan with programs I load are for those to continuing to use those programs so I don't have to keep fiddling all the time.
things like cc cleaner will probably stay installed on the box.
Aparently I don't have to worry about any laws since I am handle  the demestic markets.
However, I am going to talk to my computer tech that does this as a business making custom units to see if this is at all doable, he should know since he has built all our desktops.