2012-01-16 16:18:28

www.ninite.com/accessible

It will make an executable that will automatically fetch the latest version of various software packages and install them for you in the background. The only window you see is the Ninite window and the only button you have to press once it runs is the close button once it is finished. Using it is simple, it's perfectly accessible. Go through the list of software on the page, that link goes to the specific page listing the supposedly accessible software, and check the boxes for the software you want to install or update. Press the "get installer" button and you'll get a download of an executable file of around 250kb.

The Ninite executable will install software you chose if it isn't already installed, or update software if it is. It checks if you already have the latest version so it won't waste time on reinstalling something you already have up to date. It automatically says no to desktop shortcuts and google toolbars, it's also free. On top of this if you keep the executable you can run it any time and it'll always fetch the latest version, so if you run the Ninite installer a year from now it'll still fetch the latest version of NVDA for example. It's great for annoying software which tells you there's a new version but insists you install it and makes you install it as if from new, cough, iTunes, cough. The software it supports includes:

NVDA, yup that surprised me too
Chrome, not on the accessible list but it's on the main list at ninite.com
Firefox
Thunderbird
Flash for Internet Explorer, probably the most accessible way to update flash
Flash for other browsers, see above
Adobe Reader
WinAmp
7Zip
iTunes for Windows
.net framework 3.5

Hope this helps someone. I certainly find it a lot more convenient. There's a paid for updater as well but all it does is ask if you want to run the update when there's a new version, most software checks for a new version itself anyway even if it doesn't install it so you might as well just use the free version.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2012-01-16 16:46:33

Oh cx2, glad to see you on this forum again! I will check the accessible list out, I didn't know there was an accessible list. Thanks for telling that!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-01-16 16:52:13

Hi,

I have just got my own installer, and now I'm trying it out. This looks pretty sweet!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-01-16 17:23:14

You're not understating the sweetness there, believe me. Run the installer executable, then go about your day while it does everything. I kept the installer even after it had finished just so I could get the updates later.

The fact that it installs NVDA is just the icing on the cake. The one downside is you need an active internet connection, of course you'd need that anyway to install the software the old fashioned way.

Burak, thanks for that. I did always intend to drop back from time to time but the new guide dog's made things pretty hectic.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2012-01-16 17:28:20

Hi,

True. Is it supposed to show some kind of progress? It was completely hidden from me until I checked the task to see it was still with me, and there it was, using up as few as 2 megs. smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-01-16 18:18:53

Hi,
Thanks so much CX2!  Great to see you around by the way.
I've just downloaded this thing, should make life a lot easier!  at least then i'll definitely have up-to-date antivirus... big_smile

2012-01-16 18:50:08

Lol, i uninstalled jaws and am using NVDA once again. also using firefox and dropped chrome lol. Thanks for converting me back to the dark side everyone.

2012-01-17 16:09:43

There should be a show details button in the Ninite window, that'll show a list of the software chosen and its current state. It will download the next program while the current one is installing by the way so less wasted time too.

Arq, do not underestimate the power of the dark side tongue

cx2
-----

2012-01-17 16:18:14

Hi,
Thanks cx2 for suggesting this. It finally decided me, I uninstalled avira that kept popping up very annoying adds all the time. AVG works far better than it did when I used it some 4 years ago... big_smile

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!