glad to see you back again.

well, they just dont give files to simply paste in to the directory,
but we are supposed to "replace" them.
the modified versions of the following files maybe
jfw,
jhook.dll,
FSAuth,
dongle viewer.gtk.

we have to replace those existing files with their modified version given to us, and you are done.

some really nice programmers behind this stuff... maybe?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-17 00:48:43

Yeah, that's a cracked version of Jaws alright. If you have to copy and paste files into the install directory then they are using a pirated copy they got from somewhere.

As far as running NVDA side by side with another screen reader, be it Jaws or Window-eyes, you can do that. Just don't start them at the same time or it will be "Crash City Here We Come." I've got Window-Eyes 7.5 NVDA, and the Jaws 13 demo  on the same system and it works fine. I just unload one and then use a hot key to start another screen reader when I want to switch screen readers. Although, I use NVDA 99% of the time myself.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-17 02:03:47

I did hear of some places using cracked versions of JAWS at schools.. Mainly in Turkey. I didn't know the problem affected India, though I'm not surprised why the poorer countries are doing it. Myself here at my school All our computers are running WE 7.02. Granted it's old, but the PC's are too I heard we should be getting upgraded soon, maybe a good chance for me to see about using NVDA on the computers since I already earned quite a reputation by fixing SAPI and things.. Though back in the day we were just running JAWS demos which worked just fine, seeing a single lesson lasts 45 minutes, 5 usually passes when the teacher comes and everyone seddles down.

The funny thing is, 80% of people I ask that prefer to stick to JAWS give 1 reason, of no straightforward mouse navigation. This is not true since nVDA has 2, one that works like JAWS and another which works kind of like Voice Over on OSX. ANother thing about  the mouse is They would just want NVDA to work like JAWS with the arrow keys being taken over. The developers already said the "Layered aproach" will never be taken, and I personally don't mind it since even with WE I liked the fact of having control of both focus and mouse at the same time with no switching of modes.

As for Firefox and Youtube, I would actually suggest everyone to apply for Youtube's HTML5 trial. It's fully accessible, it even changes the players people embed on blog posts into html5. The only things that won't play are videos with advertizing, which thankfully are a large minority.
As for other Firefox add-ons I can recommend,  AddBlock plus, for doing the obvious. Works very well, so well, in fact, that when I have to use another browser I realize what a difference it is.
FlashGet for getting any embedded audio or video from websites, which includes youtube as well.
Down them all! A firefox download manager with a built-in accelerator which does a very outstanding job in my opinion.
SkipScreen for automatically clicking proceed links, doing captchas and, if required, clicking a link after waiting time, on file hosts to start download. It actually makes sendspace downloads instantanious right after you go to the URL. Another one I Really like.

It's just a shame that FF is inaccessible on the mac. I'm switching soon, and I think I'll miss it greatly...

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-01-17 05:10:19

Hi,
Well, I had the reverse problem. I had actually downgraded to an earlier version of Firefox because I was told it would work better with Jaws. Wouldn't you know, Web Vissum refused to work after that. I've had no problem with it since going back to 9, although I will say it's very sluggish at times. I'd be willing to bet it's a jaws issue, and while I do have NVDA on this machine, I hardly ever use it. I don't really know why, old habits die hard I guess.
As for the Youtube problem, I'm wondering if it actually goes beyond Firefox. I have a friend who's still running xp, and Jaws 12, and he can't get Youtube to work in IE or Firefox. He says his computer freezes whenever he tries to play a video. I even gave him the website for the Accessible Youtube to try, and he said it didn't work. He then updated his flash player and still no go. Does anybody know what that could be about?
One more thing, which is off topic, but why was that other Firefox topic deleted? I don't remember there being anything offensive about it, or maybe I just missed it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2012-01-17 06:38:17

Hi,

The sluggish behavior in Firefox seems to be a Jaws issue. Actually, Window-Eyes 7.5 also has this problem. However, when I use NVDA 2011 with firefox 9 it zips along fairly quickly. This leads me to believe that however Jaws and Window-Eyes gathers onscreen information in Firefox, probably through the video intercepts they use, it causes the screen reader to act slow and sluggish when reporting what's onscreen to the user. That's one reason I use NVDA a lot these days.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-17 08:37:38

Well, as I said in the topic that got deleted, there are ways to fix that. I'll reiterate.
Unless you plan to use Firefox for everything, it's a good idea to disable flash plugins. These tend to make Firefox crash often. Second, if you do encounter a problem where Firefox freezes, but the dreaded Mozilla Crash Reporter hasn't reared its ugly head yet, see if you can go into your task manager and find PlugInContainer.exe. End the process, and you should be good to go.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2012-01-17 14:01:33

you know, 1 usd is more than the value of around 55 indian rupees, so you can call india a poor country, lol.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-18 03:57:42

Sid, that's why open source technologies like the Linux OS and free open source screen readers like NVDA for Windows are having so much success over seas. Here in the United States its difficult but not impossible to pay for Windows, Jaws, Openbook, and all the other expensive software apps that are very common in the accessibility market. However, in India where the average person makes less than even the poorest American citizen it goes from difficult to nearly impossible to afford accessibility software. That's why alternative operating systems like Linux have a far greater user base in other countries, and free open source screen readers like NVDA is rapidly replacing Jaws as the screen reader of choice for blind computer users. The prohibitive cost of commercial accessible software simply costs too much to own.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-18 14:36:49

but ,  if we blinds are getting a service for almost free, we have no right to refuse it!
lol.
even if most of the blind people here get the cracked or whatever version of jaws in less then 30 cents, one might feel more inclined to accept it, isnt it?

2012-01-19 03:30:00

Sid, the difference here is one is illegal and the other is not. If you use  a cracked version of Jaws you are breaking the laws of your country as well as are in violation of international copyright law as well. Why do that and run the risk of being fined or thrown in jail when you can get a different product like NVDA that is free and has similar functionality and features?

I guess it is an issue of ethics more than anything else. Even if you don't get caught pirating software from an ethical standpoint it is still theft. Unless you are telling me theft is perfectly legal in India, that your family and friends feel theft is ethical, then that's a good reason to not accept a cracked version of Jaws.

Its exactly situations like yours that people are now developing free and low-cost access solutions like NVDA. People who have the money to afford Jaws will continue to pay for it, but for people who can't there is an equal product that costs less and has a more liberal license attached. Its no longer possible to pirate Jaws and try and claim you can not afford a good  screen reader when cheaper alternatives do exist.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-19 11:56:00 (edited by pitermach 2012-01-19 11:58:46)

At this point I might as well say something not everyone may know.
The person that started the Orca project is, in fact, from India...
Now, another reason why you may want to get NVDA and other free software is, more often than not, cracked software is never updated with the normal one. For a jaws 13 crack, it took them almost half a year, and even then the latest crackable jaws on 64-bit windows is 11. You can imagine how this could break. Not with NVDA. If there's an update, you just go and install it, and there, you're on the newest version.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-01-19 13:15:20 (edited by sid512 2012-01-19 13:19:56)

hi.

tward, if i'm getting a cracked or pirated or whatever version of jaws from a blind school, this doesnt mean that i'm cracking it?
or your tone sounds this way to be precise.

in this case i'm not sure whether its crack or not, because on being asked, they say that they buy a copy of the screen reader, and distribute them to blind for almost free.

and if i'm ever in the risk of getting caught in jail, the organisation has to be blamed first.

and just imagine, jaws is one of the most widely used screen reader in the world, am I wrong?

then how come people use it?

I mean everyone may not be buying the dam thing for more then a tonne dollar?

well, not only me, most of the blind people in india, or at least the region in which I live, are using jaws like this since around a decade, you know.

yes, theft is of course illegal here, and the punishments are always critical, but only if its reported as a violation, which people dont tend to do more often since they are getting a service for free, and the second thing is that the organisation people can claim different prooves for their way if they are ever sued...

anyways, when I looked at the about jaws dialogue, it said "authorized using a dongle"

not sure that's the case in crack version or something...