2011-12-25 18:01:57

Hi all!

I love reading, and I especially love fantasy books. Unfortunately, since I've read the dragonlance serie, I can't finish any other fantasy. I've tried with Martin, Jordan and all the classics, but they are too obvious or written in a too heavy stile. Do you have any suggestions? Ah, I enjoied also Ambra's cronicles.

Thanks

2011-12-25 18:26:42

I seem to have most of the books in the dragonlance but I don't know from where to start. I've been reading the dark disciple books,and they seem to be alright. if all the dragonlance books are written like the dark disciple I think I'll enjoy them.just the question remains,from which book do I start?lol
as to suggest some fantacy novels ,I can't really think of any of the top o my head right now.
Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-12-26 04:04:25

HI,
I had a few, but you basically blew them out of the water when you mentioned you could not read Jordan, Tolien, or Martin. Not really any of my business, but should you possibly explain as to why?

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-12-26 05:42:04

ahoy
so after a good and nice sleep, I think I know a book to suggest.lol.
Salvatore, R.A  the Demon Awakens
quite alright,in my opinion,I've read it once. first when I started it,I quit reading it and whent back to some other book that I was reading,but then I decided to give it a go again later.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2011-12-26 16:55:59

Hi!

Grryfindore, you must start reading fron the cronicles, than go on with the legends, the fifth age, the war of souls and the dark disciple trilogy. You can read all the other books as you wish, since there is no specific order for them.
I don't like Jordan because his books follow all the same scheme (slow-narrated story, some new cities to visit and the final duel with evil guuy).
I'd like a book where the characters have a deep personality... I mean, in most novels the heroes have no faults and  the villains are just cruel. That makes fantasy commercial and, if I can say it, unbelievable.

2011-12-26 19:30:30

the dresden files, one of my favorite if not my favorite series:). Another series is the night angel triligy also a favorite of mine

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2011-12-29 05:57:33

Hello,
If you don't start with Dragons of Spring Dawning (I think that's the name) you won't get what's going on at all.
Those books are so good I think the Hunger Games and perhaps the first Harry Potter book are the only things that can possably come close.
I'm not sure if you like mails as the main character or femails, but I like Mercedes Lackey as a woman writer. Start with her Harolds of Vandimer books. (Also try the other books by Margret Weis, they are soooooooo amazing!)
What I do is read a book and take other authers that are talked about in the book and search them on Bookshare. I can find things pretty well then.
Tanya Huf has some cool books, I'm reading her now. I'm also reading Rosemarry Edgehill (I think that's how you spell it) and her book is pretty good.
Katharine Kerr Is very Dragonlancy, although her books are a little harder to follow.
Wikkapidia Dragonlance and you'll see the thousand or soo books in order of when they take place.
I'm looking through my book list and I think James D. Macdonald has some good stuff, Tamora Pierce is a little young, but she's really good, Anne Bishop is very adult and might be a little  more than you want if you want fanticy, Marion Zimmer Bradley is of course very good, but she might be a little to Psi-Fi and that is all I can think of right off the top of my head. Those should keep you busy for the next two years or so.
It would be nice if someone could make a list of all the Dragonlance Books that are on Bookshare. I have found probably about 30, but I am not good at searching every name every month...
Thanks,

2011-12-29 06:04:44 (edited by mrpibb 2011-12-29 06:07:10)

For deep characterization try Glen Cook's Black Company series. I think there are audiobook versions of them and there are text copies floating around the net as well. The characterization and plot are the main focus of these books and the main characters are definitely not overly good. They are working for what is usually considered the evil side in a standard fantasy novel. I am not sure how far you got in Martin but for gray characters and good characterization he is hard to beat.
Steven Erikson's Malazan books are also excellent if you haven't read them. They were inspired by Glen Cook so the characters are well defined and they aren't simply black or white. This one can be somewhat frustrating as Erikson tosses you into the story without much background on the world and many important elements of the world are only hinted at in one book then fully explained several books later. I have found some of these in text as they weren't on bookshare so I know that books four through 9 excluding eight were floating about the net a while ago. They should still be available.
The share novels by Nathan Lowell are audiobooks available  from
www.podiobooks.com
They are science fiction however they have excellent characterization and they do not take the path that most space opera's do e.g. military conflicts. They follow a man as he works on a trader ship where he rises through the ranks from the lowest member of the ships crew to owning his own ship. The first of these is Quarter share. The direct link to the page with download links for the episodes is:
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/quarter-share
Another podcast audiobook that I would highly recommend is the Guild of the Cowry Catchers by Abigail Hilton. It takes place in a world similar to Narnia e.g. people are half animal. This book is meant for adults though, and a full cast audio version can be found at:
www.cowrycatchers.com
The audio version only covers up to the end of book 3 and there are five books in all. These can be purchased in text from amazon, Barns and Noble and Smashwords. If you are using a screen reader the most friendly would probably be Smashwords if you wanted to red the entire series at this time.
www.smashwords.com
Finally here is a website where the author provides lists of what he considers the best fantasy books. I have read several from his lists and I have found his judgement to be sound.
http://bestfantasybooks.com/
HTH.
P.S.
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are also good. They are by Stephen R. Donaldson. They follow the story of a man with Lepracy who is drawn into a fantasy world where he is expected to save the world from the big evil guy. What makes this book interesting is that Covenant doesn't want to do anything for the fantasy world he finds himself in. He is commonly described as an antihero. Some of the characters are either black or white but there are also many gray characters with interesting motivations. I personally really liked them.

Mrpibbb.
Edit:
I am currently reading the Hunger Games and I am really liking them. I am still pretty early on in the first book.

2011-12-29 06:43:00

ahoy
thanks all of you for the suggestions.and helping me out with the order of the books to read in.so far what I've done is read the hole dark disciple first,chuckles. one of the books called darkness and light? and now I am reading the first book in the cronicles. unfortunatly I can't use bookshare so its looking around the net and finding things for me.as for the Dragons of Spring Dawning I think I have it in my books folder, I'll have to take a look. I could zip the hole dragonlance books if anyone wants it,of course I won't be posting them on the forum ,so that I and the forum don't get into any trubble.
as for a traders tale I've finished all 6 books .and I'd highly suggest to read those books. they are,in my opinion, quite awsome.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2011-12-29 14:02:06

Ehi!!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I think I will start with the black company (I've tried Erixon but I was frustrated because the plot was really cahotic, but the caratterization was fantastic!). I've read the avalon serie by Zimmer Bradley, but I'm not sure if darkover is worth to read... I don't like science fiction very much.

2011-12-29 22:23:27

hi.
i looked at the dragon lance sirese but the narater has a really boring voice. an less it is someone different.
hmm. i looked on youtube for the book and found one.
ok it would be nice if you could zip the books.
and send them to my email adress. wich is:
[email protected]
it would be good if you had dropbox because tryign to seind a zipped folder through something like hotmail it will say that the file is to big.
so yeah if you have dropbox then could you send me the link?
tahnsk

I'm gone for real :)

2011-12-29 22:43:16

Creating a dropbox folder is free?

2011-12-29 23:28:59

Hi.
you nead to download the program and then set it up and yes it is free.

2011-12-30 00:33:23

hi. mabib.
i would like the Guild of the Cowry Catchers  audiobook if it wasn't done so bad.
don't get me rong the voices are good but the way it is recorded is horible.
yeah the music is good and the sound affects to but when the woman is reading she and the prestess  sound like they  are chueing. hmm if that is serpost to be sexy then er they sireusly nead to fix there thoughts on sexyness.  lol. i'm not sure if i am making sence.
damn. oh well someone elce listen to the start of the podcast and tell me if i am rrite or crazy for serjesting that this audiobook is bad.

2011-12-30 03:08:58

Here is a link to the smashwords version that you could read with Jaws. It does cost 10 dollars U.S.  though
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/98790
You get all five books in text with that option. If you have Kindle  for PC with Accessibility Plugin you can get the Kindle edition at:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z49V7O
Here is a link to the first book on smashwords for free:
http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/32019
I personally love the audiobook version for these but I know what you mean about not being able to listen to a book with a reader you hate.

2011-12-30 03:37:15

hi.
yeah i like the audiobook but it seams as if they've not really coamed the recording as they should have. you no for hisses and pops and things like that. maybe it is because i have a good set of headphones that i am hearing all the sounds that a normal pear wouldn't  here?

2011-12-30 06:12:09

hello all.
siria, createing a dropbox folder,and a account is free. you don't even need to install the dropbox software,however it makes manageing the files much eazyer.
HTH,grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2011-12-30 17:24:25

Well, if it is free I will download the program... I've lots of book to share! Most of the english ones are fantasy and shi-fi, but if some of you can understand italian I've more than 20000 stuf of all kind.

2011-12-30 19:24:14

hi.
that would be cool!
i don't understand italyanbut the rest of the books would be nice.
ones you make your dropbox accound. copy your folders into the public  folder and then press the aplocations key and then dfor dropbox. then look for shair link.
and then could  you send it to me?

2011-12-31 07:17:34

uh right.
pasteing the folders in the public folder won't create a link,man. siria just read the help manual on dropbox which they have on their site.but o course if you don't understand ask here and someone o us would help you out.
as for shareing books,if they are copywrited books,and if you post them on the forum,you could ahem,get into trubble. this could be done through a different means,though.
Grryf.btw I am interested in those books as well.lol.

Follow me on twitter

2011-12-31 16:25:10

Hi.
yes it does creat a link.
ones all your folders or one folder is in the publik folder  you press aplocation then d for dropbox then rite aro and go down an til you hear copy publik link.

2011-12-31 16:27:02

hi.
as for the books yeah i no lol.
you no when sirya  said she had these books i thought they were audiobooks but there not. there cool books though.

2011-12-31 18:46:50

hi guys.
brad. I'd like it if you posted a link to a folder it'd be interesting to see,how you get a link,and how one downloads a folder
I've tryed it before,and I know it for a fact that you can't paste folders in the public folder,and get a link for them.now some might take this as you can't paste folders there. of course you can paste folders.but that won't create a link.not at all
go ahead and give it a go.
ps. happy newyear everyone.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2011-12-31 22:15:05

I have read the last book in the Inheritance Cycle. I really haven't seen any reason of buying it in audio form. The ending was so predictable. spoiler ahead.  The ending of the Inheritance Cycle if you must know was mix between lord of the rings and harry potter. things get tite. good guy doesn't have enough power to survive the fight. good guy casts a spell without using any words on the bad guy that make the bad guy feel enough pain to kill himself and create a hole in the ground. sorry about the spoiler.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-01-01 00:36:32

hi
grryf,
ok. here is a link to a text file. wellthere is a folder and the file is in it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2293818/grryf.zip

there you go.
brad.