2011-10-25 15:56:50

I've just updated to avg v 2012, and also bought a license for my laptop.

They've changed it around a bit, but there are various good things, prticularly I like the priority feature which is just a slide bar, sinse it lets you decide how much of your computer's resources the scan takes up. Lower priority means it's less likely to mess up anything else that's going on, but will take longer. This is imho a really handy feature, sinse it means even if I'm doing something computer intensive, avg will never slow my machine down, ---- though generally it only did that if I had lots of stuff running at once.

Stil, I'm glad this features in, and the version on my laptop is doing a good job. I've renewed both licenses until 2014 too, so no worries about viruses there, hec, even when I installed the avg security toolbar (I hate custom toolbars for brousers), it wasn't a problem to disable at all, unlike some other ones I've seen (the yahoo one was a nightmare and required some very specific mucking about with the control panel).

I know I should've probably found the antivirus topic for this, but frankly I'm too lazy, and starting a new topic is generally better anyway, sinse then people can just chime into the discussion when they want.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-25 17:27:03

Hi,

Well, good luck, you'll probably only use it till the 21st of december, 2012 anyway. Lol! big_smile
You know, I'm notm uch of an Anti-Virus dude. While I do keep a virus killer running all the time, I'd much rather like it doing it's own thing and knows what it's doing, alerting me only when absolutely necessary. As long as it doesn't slow my computers down, I'm good with it. tongue
I've been using AntiVir before, this one kinda recognized all my drivers as virae... the result wasn't at all comfortable. To be honest I have no idea what it did, but it alerted me every second, in the end nothing worked.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-10-25 19:23:44

Anti virus is good to have on your computer. Viruses and spyware can be pretty suddle now a days.

2011-10-25 19:42:07

Hi,

Sure. However I never got attacked in those 10 or so years I've been online, glad to say! ^_^ I'm always Up2Date, I just never really mess with my Anti-Virus software much like I would with any other application.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-10-25 22:39:21

That's why I like avg. it sits stil and does it's thing, and I neither need to worry about it updating or anything else, which is as you said, what a good antivirus should do (I'd recommend avg as a decent one if your looking for a new one).

The only problem is, I ahve noticed on some machines with less ram, it has caused slowdown when for instance your downloading many other files at once, or having something similar going on. It's never affected my desktop, but certainly it did my old machine.

Now though, even that isn't a worry sinse I can just set scan priority. I suspect this is done for lower ram machines like netbooks, which is obviously a good thing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-25 22:49:25

Hi,

The machine I'm usually on, due to me traveling quite a bit, is a Laptop. However, when announcing that it's got an Intel I7 with a quad of 2.99 GHZ, 8 gigs of Ram, and this for the price at around 700 euros... Well, Shotgun! ^^
Thanks, should I ever be in need of switching, I will consider AVG. smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-10-26 13:32:18

I once was known to use AVG for all virus defending needs. However, it lost it's luster in terms of screen reader usability. My question then is: Is that aforementioned luster back in AVG? Or is it still only Average as some synths lovingly say it.

2011-10-26 16:25:19

No idea pauliD.

Dolphin recommended it to me originally as an antivirus that worked well with hal and the virtual focus, and that indeed is stil the case, in fact it's also the case for avg pc tuneup which has pretty much the same interface, just fairly standard pages of text with usual windows controls like list boxes, scroll bars and buttons.

For other screen readers I don't know, especially in terms of their virtual cursers.

2011-10-26 16:31:52

hi dragon,
nice laptop I must say
its normal for antiviruses to have faulse posetives once in a while
for example avast once released an update that flagged most .exe files as win32 delph mzh
and mcafee released an update that deleted sfchost.exe
I've had to deal with these things before
but i've never known antivir to produce serious faulse posetives
unless you plan to crank up the heuristics to high
once you do that you are more likely to find a faulse posetive
I personally like messing with my apps
I probably know everything running on my pc
I like to tweek the settings just in case
and as for automatic action for files
I personally don't want my antivirus taking automatic actions for files
what if there was a faulse posetive
my antivirus would delete the file right away without warning me
but if I set it to manual it would ask me what to do with that file
and I would recognize  the file was a faulse posetive and submit it to the virus lab for analysis
that is how you handle faulse posetives
and as for antivir if anyone can access the new fixit button can they provide tips
I want to upgrade from 9.0 but the slide up windows are my only issue

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-10-27 16:07:23

Hi,
Thanks dark for the info. I'm actually upgrading my pc to windows 7 so will probably be switching to the 2012 version of AVG with NVDA.
My question is... Is the intel i3 processor any good?

2011-10-27 18:23:04

hi,
its not the best, but its an average powered processer
I am using it atm

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-10-28 23:31:18

Hi,
Well, I've upgraded. the processor seems to be rather fast! I also believe we have AVG 2012 but I'm not entirely sure.