2011-10-16 22:24:45

OK, I got a 1201.1II jbl amp off of ebay ('like new') that came fried. The sent the money back in full, so no harm done (whew...), so now I have a fried amp that I'd like to try to fix.

Any advice or resources I should check out?

On the bottom (non-visible side) of the main board, there was smoky residue all over it. The visible part had been wiped down with alcohol or something and looks like new. Two of the yellow things that have copper coiled around them get very hot when power is going to the amp. Sometimes protect light is solid on, and power is off, and other times the power light is on and the protect light blinks very fast. No sound comes out in either case.

I found the schematics online and I've gone over all the resistors with a multimeter. About 30% are giving readings outside of specs.   I haven't tried any other components yet. I have a power supply set to output the correct settings for testing (per the schematics instructions) but the power supply says there is a short. So all readings so far are with no power.

Is there any hope?   I have pics and other info if it helps, just let me know.

2011-10-16 22:41:42

Hey possible spam bot, I think both sides of the main board are the "non-visible side" if you realize where you're posting this.  You didn't do a very good job picking an appropriate message board to spam.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software