2011-07-16 10:17:12

So I taught my computer to improv. Quite simple improv, mind:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/randomNotesDemo.mp3
After I got this to work (a couple years ago o_o), I tried to start on something to randomly generate more specific things that might function as background music for games, but never got around to actually doing it.

The program I used for this is much smaller than the recording, and can play indefinitely unless something external stops it. I hesitate to post it though because I haven't been able to get it to run without using the command prompt. It's in java, so I could put it in a jar, but for some reason people have trouble getting my jars to work.
It'd probably be more useful if I could come up with an improved version that runs in BGT, anyway.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-16 10:41:43

Sounds really cool!  It reminds me of this
http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/melody-generator/

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-16 10:52:02

Ah, interesting! The settings are painfully complicated, though. Still, the melody definitely sounds more melodic than mine.

I basically defined pentatonic key signatures (scales of five notes) and specified what notes sound best with each note (E and F together would sound pretty painful compared to C and G, for instance). I meant to add more key signatures, but never got around to it. There are just two now, and it randomly switches between the two every few seconds.
The problem I guess is that it doesn't repeat at all, even if it gets to sound pretty generic after a while. Most music we're familiar with repeats quite a bit. I was trying to work on one that would come up with a random section and repeat it, but... yeah.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-16 11:03:48

I would say that your idea has a Lot of potential!  If you feel up to it, I think it is worth having you develop it further.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-16 13:12:08

I think there is some medical something screwing with my ability to focus, lol. I've had days where I've done nothing but lay in bed being miserable because my brain won't let me work on anything. Perhaps my brain's antivirus definitions are out of date?
This is certainly on my painfully large list of things to work on whenever I can actually work on things, though! smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-16 16:23:19

Well Hello! CAE_Jones!  I didn't see you standing there, in my boat!  lol.

- Aprone
Aprone's software