2012-07-19 23:50:25 (edited by jsymes 2012-07-19 23:51:30)

I've got 0.6 myself, which happens to be the first version I played.

AKA president731

2012-08-26 23:30:46

Question, where do I get the language file for castaways? I want to make a spanish translation, but cannot find it anywhere. (If it already exists, let me know, as well as other translations that may exist)

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2012-08-27 00:39:17

Here's the language file for Castaways.  www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/castawayslang.zip

Quite a few people started translations but I'm not sure how many were ever finished, or where people then posted them.  I do have a French and Russian language file that were sent to me by different people.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-11-04 03:16:31

I just downloaded castaways and extracted the files, but now how do I get the game to run?

2012-11-04 04:08:25

If you tried running castaways.exe without success, try the instructions in the readme.

Or, save one of these in your castaways folder, and run as administrator:
Windows 32 bit
Windows 64 bit
Those batchfiles were made to work with Swamp, but I think they should work with Castaways as well.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-11-08 04:48:52

I recently tried out Castaways, and love it. I just, am a bit confused on what to do, exactly. Are there any tips anybody could offer me to play more effectively without having my people die from starvation all of the time? big_smile Great work, Aprone, you rock, man

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-01-19 22:30:14

Hi all!
How do I get more firewood in mission five? The whole firewood has been used and I can't get more.
Any tips defeating the enemy raiders?
Aprone, have you made any progress on Castaways 2?

Errare humanum est!

2014-01-20 01:02:12

A good strategy is to move a lumber yard and a storehouse out to another location that is near forests.  Moving out far to build a second settlement can be tricky, but if you pull it off then you will continue to gain lumber at a very fast rate throughout the game.

I've made some progress, yes.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-01-21 19:08:23

Hi,
Is fire wood an additional resource type? If yes, how do I check how much I have of it? If not, are logs or lumber used to heat the houses?
It's fairly hard to keep everything in balance. If I concentrate on food, the invaders ruin my buildings. If I build enough houses, so that my people have the opportunity to procreate, I run out of food and everyone starves. Any hint will be appreciated!
Does anyone still play online?

Errare humanum est!

2014-01-21 19:39:30

I'm curious Aprone. Did you create your own game engine and base all your work on it or do you program everything from the ground up? Yes, you never really start from the beginning and use snippets here and there but given how fast you are at pushing these out I'm wondering if you either simply devote a truckload of time to creating these games of if you use some kind of RAD framework.

2014-01-21 19:56:32

Blasting, I haven't played in so long that I can't remember if firewood is its own separate resource.  Hopefully someone will stop by who remembers the commands and can give you some tips for surviving.

Blackbird, I almost always just start from scratch each time.  Lately I have been copying and pasting in the code I use for the screen reader support, but that's pretty much it.  I code because I enjoy it, so for me to grab code snippets from online or even large chunks of code I had previously written myself, would take away from the fun.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-01-22 09:03:44

I don't think firewood is a separate resource. I don't remember if it takes from lumber or logs. The tutorhouses show how much firewood they have.

For mission 5, my first priorities, after the essential 4 buildings, are getting a fisherman, butcher and doctor. I then try to wall off the most vulnerable spots and build farms and houses at the same time. As you can imagine, this is kinda slow. It helps to have them going at the same time, and close sites as needed (if people start starving, close the walls/houses; if you can't keep up with the invaders, focus on the walls to direct them away from your settlement).

I don't remember when/how I dealt with getting metal. Lately I've been using the kcode just to see how it works, and that pushes back the need for metal considerably.

And if you're ever going to build multiple storehouses/taverns/etc, mission 5 is probably the best time to try it. Speed is crucial, but the deck is stacked against you on that count, what with the cold slowing down food production, and the most powerful things (walls, tomes, metal, horses) taking the longest to produce. More storehouses, sawmills and quarries will buy you lots of time, so I'd build those as soon as it isn't wasteful to do so.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-01-22 09:32:35

Hi.
It's so long time sinse I've played this awesome game, so I don't remember much accept for how awesome it was to complete the first mission. Lol. So I think I only played one of the first versions of the game, but I'll look at it again for sure in the nearest future.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-01-22 15:57:41

To be honest, I've only completed mission 1 and 2 so far. On mission 3 I worked a lot with walls, but I apparently built them to close to each other, so that I hadn't enough space to build my buildings. I couldn't get every catapult, which obviously didn't provide any help for my settlement. I'm not even sure if they should. smile
CAE, Thanks for your advice. As a side note, normal houses also show the stocked up fire wood.
Unfortunately not many people are still playing this game. I'm sure Aprone's second release of it will be much better, but in my opinion the old one is also very good, maybe sometimes a bit difficult to keep the overview and to complete the mission request, but it's certainly good enough to be played!

Errare humanum est!

2014-01-23 09:43:43

Hi.
I have a quick question:

SPOILER for mission 1:
Am I right that this is the mission where you have to go to the ship at the end of the mission?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-01-23 12:44:51

Hi.
Yepp you are correct SLJ. You have to build the ship actually.

I'm looking forward to a fully implemented online mode!

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2014-01-23 12:52:26

Thank you. smile Then, my memmories aren't totally lost. big_smile
I'm also looking so much forward to the fully intergrated online mode.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-01-23 15:14:24

I have the most trouble with mission 3, still. smile
Building walls fast enough to keep out the enemies is incredibly difficult.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-01-23 18:32:12

How do you imagine a fully implemented online mode? There is already a way to play online together with others. You can chat and interact with them. So I don't get what you want. wink
To play online, simply choose "multiplayer co op." - press enter on "single player" - in the configure-your-character menu and you should be able to play online.

Errare humanum est!

2014-01-24 09:36:06

Hi.
"Blasting GD:
I imagine more teamwork, being able to walk with your characters instead just controlling them all like a board game, and tasks which requires other online players to help you. It would be really cool if you had full control over the different characters, so you have to run with supplies, build things and make all the other tasks which the computer controlled characters are doing.

I had a lot of fun yesterday playing the game. I failed, but learned, and I got into the game again pretty quickly. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2014-01-24 15:41:56

Hi!
SLJ, Okay I gotcha. That won't be added in Castaways anymore, but I'm pretty much looking forward to Castaways 2. If it will be as good as Aprone meant, and I'm sure it will, it will be a great success!

Errare humanum est!

2014-02-27 20:27:17

I wasn't aware there was going to be a castaways2. Does anyone know when it will be released? I loved building my settlement in Castaways, just not the zommies. So I am hoping Castaways2 will have more resource/population management and that there will be a way to play without zommies.

2014-08-07 03:06:15

===Changes from version 2.6 beta to 2.7===

- Several in-game messages have been changed to give the player more information.  For example, when people are injured it tells you what job they were doing when it happened.
- Additional graphics have been added to help sighted players.
- 2 new "epilog" missions have been added, which continue the story to help bridge the gap between this game and the next Castaways game I am planning to create.
- I believe I've corrected a few typos here and there.
- A bit of code optimization to help some areas run smoother.
- I've added a challenge mode.  In the challenge mode you have 10000 game ticks to earn as many points as possible, based on a list of things you can do.
- I have laid some of the foundation to eventually convert Castaways over to using the Kaldobsky Gamer accounts for Multiplayer games.  I haven't finished it yet though.
- Disabled pressing escape during the victory story after missions 5 and 7, because it was possible to accidentally hit escape and close the story before you had a chance to finish listening to it.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 04:02:02

Mission 6 kicked my everything.
I did get one game going quite well, but right as I went to save, my battery died, as the laptop had somehow come unplugged without my knowledge.

(I'm curious about what changes you made to the graphics! smile )

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-08-07 08:37:45

hi aprone,

sounds good. i thought the development on cast aways stopped months ago. but pretty awsome it isn't.
will download it today.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com