2011-07-05 12:23:29

We could really use a reduction in the cost of alternative energy sources. There is a lot of energy out there to be exploited, but economics are making it difficult to do much there.
I've heard that there's something you can connect to your clothing so that you can charge an IPod or similar device by simply walking. Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but it should easily be possible.
Is it the second law of thermo dynamics that covers there always being energy that is lost into the environment? I don't see why we don't try harder to keep a hold on some of that waste energy. The heat from laptops alone could probably power a lightbulb, at least...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-05 14:23:06

A normal or low energy light bulb? Probably not, but an LED version of a light bulb probably. Most laptop mains adapters are below 100 watts or if they're above it not by much, and they offer more power than the laptop needs to run itself so you can run it and charge it at the same time. I personally don't see why we're pushing for low energy light bulbs and not LED light bulbs which are lower energy as well as lasting far longer, though of course they would require adaptation to direct current not alternating.

I know there used to be "kinetic" watches advertised that were powered by you moving them as you went about your day so that is possible, though it'd take a lot more oomph to power or charge an iPod I think. Being able to plug your devices into your clothes for power is something I'm all for though so long as the clothes have the right connectors, that's always a pain.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-05 18:04:00

Actually something similar to the algi idea is used in the solar clipper series, indeed the 2nd job of the main character is the rather messy business of replacing algi groath frames into the engines and scraping exess algi of the old ones.

I'm a bit narked with the British government over this low energy business, sinse they seem to be making some very high handed decisions in the name of nergy saving at the moment without considdering the consequences.

For instance, now we are all forced to have low energy lightbulbs which are actually a good bit dimmer, myself and my mum actually have trouble seeing! ;D.

In fact I will confess I have a supply of old style bulbs for my flat and will probably convert over to florescents at some point just to get a reasonable enough light or my lack of vision.

Similar issues with plastic bags.

The government institute charges on plastic bags in supermarkits without actually considdering the fact tha tmost people use them for bin bags.

now, overfull, flimsy bin liners are being bought instead, which actually cause more mess than the plastic ones initially, not to mention more expense all around.

thus while I'm not aversed to energy saving, I'm not keen on it being beurocratically imposed inefficiently.

There are! many ways currently to develope alternate energy which stil exist and are efficient, it's just that currently oil costs far less to setup. Generally, alternative energy production whether it's tidal, solar, geo thermal or whatever just takes a high setup cost, however while oil is stil cheap the capitalist fat cats won't shell out (ha ha), for something like this.

This is why i'm scheptical of the "earths oil runs out, everything goes to pot" arguement.

On person powered and renewable energy, I actually have a rather efficient hand crank torch and radio, which can go for a good long while witha  minimal amount of effort.

If a more efficient storage system was developed, I could actually invisage some sort of battery charger for small devices which was powered either by indirect action like those kinetic watches, or by some direct physical action, though it's stoarage would need to be good.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-05 20:02:26

I, for one, am hoping to see the world collapse due to lack of fuels, global plague, or zombie invasion.  I love thinking out of the box to solve problems, inventing things to make my life easier, and survival situations.  I believe it would be terribly exciting trying to survive, or even thrive, in the collapsing world before I finally starved to death or was killed.  It would make the end exciting, more so than having a heart attack in my bed as an old man.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-06 01:31:45

And on the note of a survival enthusiast who becomes an old man in his house, I imagine it'd be hilarious if the Aprone in Dogwhohatestoast is the same guy from Lunimals.
(... Yeah, making up continuity where it doesn't make sense is just something I like to do. smile )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-06 02:36:16

Dunno, I'm all for the heart attack as an old man so long as it was in company tongue

Honestly as things are solar just isn't viable most of the time, the panels need a lot more work to develop them. I'm not saying it can't be done but the panels just aren't good enough presently, combined with variable weather conditions and limited collection periods. Unless you're in a sun soaked region like Africa or California it is just pretty impractical large scale, I'm not sure they would even generate as much power as it took to manufacture them in a moderate to cool climate. Wind by all accounts is even worse, I definitely heard it takes more power to make the turbine than they produce, even without that though they're a very clumsy solution. Too many complicated moving parts out in the open where they can damage other objects or be damaged by them, and having safety mechanisms to turn themselves off if it gets too windy. Plus they have all the intermittent issues of solar.

Hydro power is definitely interesting but again is intermittent, though at least you can predict the tides and work out how much power you're likely to get. Hydro and geothermal are very much dependant on geography though, if you don't have a conveniently located body of water with sufficient flow or some kind of geothermal activity going on nearby they're no help.

I wouldn't dismiss renewables entirely but honestly I'm not sure we can rely on them completely, or even predominantly, unless we get much cheaper and much more effective ways to store power.

I'd be all for using domestic waste to produce power though, that makes a lot of sense frankly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-06 08:45:07

I've heard that some garbage trucks are now powered by the methane produced by the waste at the dump. That would save tons of money if it can be done efficiently!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-07 00:48:51

Hmmm, "not shit energy! ---- who run barta town!"

sorry, madmax moment ;D. of course in mad max you have a post apocalyptic world where people do use the methane produced by pig faeces as a power source, hence the quote.

Myself, I've read a few too neuclear many war survival horror stories, right back to the original I am legend (which is very different from the film), to want to see that happen in my lifetime, particularly as mot advantages I myself and anyoe else with disabilities have would vanish in such a world due to lack of technology.

Besides i see a period of governmental nastiness and naziism before hand, and I'd hope that I would myself attempt to do something about that.

Actually, I don't particularly care when I die, or even about dying generally, sinse if there is an afterlife, ---- well I'll find out when i get there, and if there isn't, ---- well I won't be around to worry about it ;D.

sorry, fear of death is something of one of my main philosophical interests and indeed one thing I wrote a major essay on during my masters and will probably write on later, sinse I'm very much of the opinion that fear of death is utterly pointless and not inevitable.

For me, I'm more concerned how I die, ie, how much pain and unpleasantness are involved, than when.

getting back to energy though, Actually Cx2, geo thermal isn't particularly terain dependent, other than the practical question of being able to sink a very deep shaft to where the there is a lot of heat underground, enough to heat water and create steem to push a turbine and run a generator.

Though there are considderations, you don't realy need say a waterfall for this.

The main issue is the setup cost is pretty huge, however I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see more stations like this popping up when the oil starts to run out and the price goes up.

Snse the basic idea of generatint electricity is just to get a couple of magnets and wire coils spinning fast enough, there are los of inventive ways you could do it theoreticaly.

I recently heard a doctor who audio drama that had the great idea of experimental rats growing hyper inteligent and deciding to get their own back on humans.

As well as various germ warfare experiments, one interesting idea they had was sticking someone in a tredmill used to generate the electricity needed to power their base. If he stopped, he got an electric shock ;D.

Now there's a fun idea! get fit, and generate electricity at the same time, I can just imagine it "don't stop running now, I want to see the end of my favourite soap opera!" ;D.

potentially couch potatoes could be uba fit!

Btw, not a serious suggestion, i just liked the idea.

most hydro electric as far as I know actually takes advantage not of the tide, but of specific waterfalls, like the aswan dam in egypt (which i've stood on top of myself). 

wile creating these artificially is hugely expensive, they do have the advantage of being fairly symple and easy to maintain, and not tied to time or anything else.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-07 20:31:38

Actually there are significant projects trying out tidal power, there were ideas thrown around for one in the Humber near me. As to dams, well they're still very geographically dependant or else use a reservoir. The reservoir ones basically use the water as a battery, pumping it back up when there is excess power. Geothermal yes I see your point, if you go deep enough you can use it anywhere, but the practicality decreases.

I don't see a nuclear apocalypse. Plant design has come a long way from Chernobyl and while the incident in Japan was worrying we need to remember they're in an extreme earthquake zone, it is literally impossible to make anything presently that will withstand that level of earthquake magnitude.

I'd heard of Mad Max but I had no idea it had that kind of language and I'm still very, very uncomfortable hearing it on the forum honestly.

cx2
-----

2011-07-08 01:27:53

Once earthquakes hit 8.0 on the richter scale, pretty much nothing close to the epicenter will remain standing. The fact that Japan is made up of islands and therefore more vulnerable to tsunamis from something like that only made things worse. Generally speaking, more people die from coal-related issues than have died because of nuclear power plant accidents. It's similar to how more people die via car crashes or bicycle accidents than in planes, but planes scare people more.

Unless I'm forgetting an incident, we've only ever had three fatal disasters related to spacecraft--the Apollo 1 fire, Challenger, and Columbia. These apparently receive much less hype than plane crashes or nuclear power plants, since I was in a French class shortly after Columbia disintegrated, and there was actually a exercise that asked the student to describe where they were at the time of the accident... absolutely noone in the class realized that they weren't talking about Challenger.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-08 16:37:34

True about the accidents, though that's with the "test craft" mentality NASA has used for a long time. It's well known that Apollo was pushed fast, and it's a wonder the project didn't kill more people.

A small note, the richter scale is no longer used. They now use the magnitude scale. A lot of organisations haven't got this through their thick skulls yet though so it's perfectly likely the news or schools might talk about the richter scale despite it being officially out of use.

cx2
-----

2011-07-08 20:51:26

Well when i was thinking about nuclear appocalypse, I was thinking more of the classic nuclear war, everything goes to pot situation.

Probably the best book for this is Robert swindles brother in the land, which is quite disturbing in how realistic it is, then there is the famous drama documentary threads made in the late 90's that is probably one of the most horrific things i kno sinse it concentrates on all levels from governmental structures just not being able to cope and their methods of maintaining order being overwhelmed, to people's individual tragedy, whether killed in the initial attack or even 13 years later.

As to tidal again I'm not sure, sinse you'd need somewhere where the land facilitated a strong undertoe on the tide, though this could be theoretically possible, however as I said I'm fairly convinced we will see all of these things being more prominant in the next 20-40 years as getting oil from the ground become increasingly less viable.

As to mad max and language, well it's not a word I'd use, though unlike certain other words I don't regret quoting it if the context is specifically write, and mad max wasn't known for it's gentility.

As per the rather major discussion, I've set forum language to what I believe is a pg 13 wrating in an attempt to be flexible without getting us in trouble with kid's parents, and said word would indeed count in that context hence my use of it in this specific instance.

2011-07-09 17:41:27

If you do some research you'll find there have been several high profile efforts to set up tidal power, mostly based on having an array of devices in a form of barrier. I'm not sure if any have actually been built, they tend to raise a lot of environmental worries. I don't doubt that all these renewables will become more common, I just don't see them being able to take on the bulk of our power needs. They just aren't consistent enough or predictable enough to provide more than a small amount of our power.

cx2
-----

2011-07-09 22:50:56

I don't think unpredictability applies half as much to tidal and geo thermal, sinse the earth's temperature isn't really going to fluctuate too much, and while weather conditions can affect the tide, if it was the overall underto that was used, ie, the movement of water caused by the moon's gravitation, then it would be pretty constant anyway.

Then again, those methods are probably the hardest to setup.

I do thinnk renewable energy is a viable option, but it will take more of a reason to change to it than just "the environment" ie, the economic.

In fact I stil wouldn't be overly surprised if that conspiracy theory about oil companies buying out and ciezing research into renewable sources of energy production turns out to be perfectly true, and we don't find renewable sources of power simply being refitted when it becomes more economical to do so.

We'll just have to wait and see though.

2011-07-10 08:42:39

Even if it was true there would be a serious switch over period. The biggest threat at the moment to our power though isn't oil production so much, it's the fact that most of our nuclear plants are due to be decommissioned and we probably don't have time to build new ones. Nuclear still makes most of the UK's energy I believe, though I could be wrong. As yet noone's doing anything about it because it's a few years away but these things take a lot of forward planning.

Yes I know geothermal can be more reliable but like you said that's the hardest to set up. Tidal might be predictable but it's still intermittent, the power output will fluctuate depending where you are in the tide's cycle. And as we both agreed tidal depends very much on the local geography, it's mostly discussed in relation to river estuaries and that kind of thing.

Of course there is biomass and that only makes good sense to me since we're just cleaning up after ourselves, though I'd be concerned that biomass would make carbon dioxide in itself. That's not to mention the fact that you'd need one heck of a lot of it. Of course it's plausible that they could develop mini biomass generators for farms but that'd be a little expensive for the average farmer just yet I reckon and wouldn't help the rest of us much.

cx2
-----

2011-07-10 16:08:56

My concern over bio mass would be what waste products, as well as carbon dioxide happened once you'd finished with the bio mass, though as I'm not sure about the chemistry involved this might not be as much of an issue.

As regards neuclear and decomissioning, actually a chap I know who was chief manager of a neuclear station once said that the crytical problem in setting up, or pulling down any power station is that it ultimately costs far more.

he actually said that in converting some of the output of his own station to the government required renewable energy, they caused more destruction of the environment and overal confusion through the building, setup and demolishing than his neuclear station did.

Given how utterly idiotic our government is about finance (look at the way they give public money to private banks!), I wouldn't be surprised if they simply extend the working life of existing power stations instead of trying to change them, simply to preserve what money they have.

Then again as I said earlier in this topic, I'm very scheptical of the governments' ability to administrate any overall change to dayly life, look at what they did with plastic bags!

2011-07-10 16:32:06

They might try that route but still they can only be extended so far, and the more you extend the life of old equipment the more it costs and the greater the risk of something big breaking.

I wonder if some of their disused fallout shelters could be repurposed for housing power plants? No new area to be cleared, good security, and in the event of the worst happening it's as well contained as any plant is likely to be.

cx2
-----