2011-05-13 12:38:28

OK, I am just stuck on mission 5. I am at the quest that says to get 10 cats and 10 kayman. I've gotten a pretty big mouse population of about 60 o so, but then, my cats go way way way up to like 30 or 40 and the mouse die off really fast. Then, the cats, having nothing to eat, die off really quickly too. I have try to buy like 2 or 3 kayman in the area of the mice and cats like on a4-c4 to eat up the cats, but it didn't work. I'm just like out of ideas. I need to halt the growing cat population without completely killing it off and I've basically depleted my energy (I have about 20 left).

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-05-13 13:51:03

Hi,
I know what algae is, I just didn't see how you were supposed to grow it without water. As for the bugs, I supposedly have plenty of those, but my bird population is not growing. Neither it it shrinking.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-13 16:26:58 (edited by Aprone 2011-05-13 16:29:53)

Keyisfull, I'm in exactly the same predicament while playing mission 7.  I'm trying to beat it before I post it for everyone, but I got myself into a situation where I have no energy and my cat population is on the verge of rising too high.  For me, I've concluded that when I load my last saved game, I'm already too close to the problem.  The levels of cats and mice were leading toward disaster, but I didn't see it coming until I didn't have the power left to prevent it.

Earlier the question came up, why would anyone want to just kill cats when you could sell them?  You might have a perfect reason now.  Yeah it stinks to lose the cats without getting all that money from selling them, but killing them only uses up half of the power and it might be your only way to control the population before it gets out of hand.

Hayden, the tiles list algae when you inspect them, but you can't grow algae unless it is a water tile.  To make it less confusing, I probably should have had the game hide algae info when you weren't looking at a water tile.  As long as the bird population isn't shrinking, at least it seems stable.  That's good, but I'm guessing you don't have as many birds as you want.  The larger your dome is, the harder it is to get small populations to breed, because they have more room to spread out, and they are less likely to run into each other to breed.  I can't be certain this will work, but maybe you just need to buy more and see if that gets their numbers rising on their own.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-05-13 17:09:58

Hi,
I'll have to see about buying more of them.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-13 21:39:05

I've just uploaded version 1.6b which has mission 7, the piranha species, and limited JAWS 12 support.  I downloaded their 40 minute trial but the darn thing expired before I could finish.  As long as people are willing to hear "Title is" in front of each spoken sentence, it does work.  If I'd have only a little more time I would have finished it, so I'm wondering if I can just uninstall it and get another 40 minutes.  Has anyone tried that before?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-13 21:42:45

Hi Aprone,

There is a jaws version that is compatible with 64 bit machines. Just look at the download links of freedomscientific.com.
How do Iget message box mode or whatever it was called turned off?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-05-13 21:46:03

All you need to do for another 40 minutes is restart your computer. smile

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-05-13 21:50:42

well, wouldn't the cats just re-reproduce after selling/killing? I had about 20 at the game loading.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2011-05-13 22:24:03

Staindaddict, in message box mode, each new statement requires you to press Enter to close it.  Basically it is using standard windows message boxes to relay the information.  Once you've closed the current message, press Tab again to cycle to a different text output mode.

Keyisfull, the cats will reproduce, but if you can get their numbers low enough you can keep it there.  Sometimes I will use Kill rather than Sell when I have to lower a population in a hurry.  Since it takes only 10 power to kill, you can lower the population twice as much using the same amount of power.  If the cat population is simply too high, even using kill won't help because they will still reproduce faster than you can charge your batteries.  Anticipating a problem, before it gets out of hand, is sometimes needed.  I'm happy that I finally beat mission 7!  Yay!  Now that I know what I'm doing, I think I could beat it again pretty easily, but it was very hard until I figured it out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-14 01:38:27

Hi,
The "title is" thing is specific to the berbosity setting you're using--which makes things interesting for people usingbeginner verbosity.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-14 01:56:07

Hmm, I'll look in to that.  Thanks Hayden.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-14 02:16:42

Also, remember that JAWS will read highlighted text.

2011-05-14 02:25:25

Yeah, that's on my list of things to try, as plan B.  I'm always glad when someone suggests something I had been thinking, it makes me feel like the idea is better because I wasn't the only one to consider it.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-14 05:38:07

Stuck on mission 3, part 2.  I'm trying to produce the number of rabits required to continue, but for whatever odd reason, the population tends to linger around 9 and 14, even after killing off all the mice.  I've tried everything i can think of, killing grass to produce more moss,killing off my mice, placing more trees to hinder the growth of grass, but nothing seems to be working for me.  Suggestions?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-05-14 09:12:10

Nocturnus, try adding more trees.  It's true, that more trees hinders grass growth, but it promotes the growth and moss and also produces more acorns.  Rabbits do eat grass, but their preferred food is moss, and they also can eat acorns if necessary.  All in all, having a lot of trees should increase the food supply for your rabbits.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-14 09:53:11

I have a suggestion. I think it would be good to know where your animals are. So under this tile it would also say what animals were on that tile. And maybe also what the animals were feeding on. That way you wouldn't have to consult the reference as much if you had a little logic in you.

2011-05-14 15:54:39

Hi,
Well...some of it would be good either way; I really have never considered rabbits eating moss.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-14 16:38:50

Now, here's a thought.
As you're collecting money from advertising, in theory you could leav your pc on for days, collect millions of dollars, and then buy the necessaryanimals!

2011-05-14 18:08:33

Hi,
One thing I'd suggest for future games is the use of the .net framework and the Slim DX library so as to avoid errors related to Com usage.  Like instead of VB6, you could begin to program in VB.net.  But I need to try out this game now.  It sounds awesome.

I'm at Latitude E6530, and Longitude S100-1525.

2011-05-14 20:04:21

I've just uploaded version 1.8b.  I'm still having trouble with JAWS, so I put something temporary into this version, for JAWS users.  It seems to work, but isn't what I want it to be yet.  I haven't found a lot of helpful documentation for JAWS scripts.  This version also fixes a bug, which made piranha populations sometimes go unstable.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-14 20:12:57 (edited by Quasar 2011-05-14 20:13:25)

Aprone,
Why not simply use the API interfaces for the various Screen readers? Jaws, Window-Eyes, and System Access all have api interfaces that you can use to send speech directly to the screen reader. Blind Adrenaline, All In Play, the RS Games and Quentin C Playroom, Entombed an VIP Mud all use these interfaces and I think they will remove a lot of the headaches you are having.

2011-05-14 20:15:56

Hi.
I tryed this game for a few days,lol.yes since the day it was out.grins. and I have a suggestion to make.
For now it doesn't work with jaws. I have tryed the latest version.and only which message comes up is a message with only okay.lets we say when I press a down arrow,it'll say .campain okay button. I press okay.what after that? if I want to choose campain option,I press enter on it,the same box with okay button.
Now what's my suggestion is,to interupt sapi 5 when its saying the same thing again and again,or anything that we'd like to stop.so with a ctrl key,maybe? we could stop whatever sapi is speaking at that time.
The game is really interesting to play,and again like other games of yours,different . keep up the good work.And thanks yet again for a wonderful game.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-05-14 20:54:38

Good suggestion as documentation on JAWS scripts is very scant indeed.  In fact, as far as I've seen, it could use another language to hold it up.  The API would make everything easier.

I'm at Latitude E6530, and Longitude S100-1525.

2011-05-14 21:00:36

I didn't think getting JAWS to work, would take me this long.  If I had known, I would have just fixed SAPI sooner.  I went ahead and fixed the game's SAPI output, so JAWS users can just use the built in SAPI.  I didn't change the game's version number, but if you download again, the link leads to a copy where the SAPI is working.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-05-15 16:44:28

hi,
do you know if there is anywhere we can grab the source for this so we can make our own virtions, missions and stuff?
Just a little suggestion not sure about if it would work or not.
Thanks,

Daniel