2011-03-04 09:12:22

hi all,
I just checked the remaining disc space on my laptop, and I only have about 400 megs, but even after disc cleanup  I only have about a gig, plus a manual temperary file cleanup
does anyone know of any programs that could help me find out what's taking up all the space? cause this harddrive is aprox 49 gigs, and I don't even recall installing anything that's very big

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2011-03-04 15:58:01

Hi Ryan,
Is that the harddrive on your computer? if so, not only is that tiny but wondows and its compoennts will eat up diskspace.Also, if you're like me and have something like 70 games on your computer that'll eat up more space than you think.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-04 17:08:15

Don't forget to clear out things like %temp% and old prefetch data.  Though these will probably not provide much in the way of freeing up space but a few gigs at most, I find that every bit counts.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-03-04 17:37:22

pc tune up has some pretty good utilities for finding jung files and other things and dealing with them, you might try that.

My directory where all my games are installed is actually only 6 gb, and that's counting all the setup files as well which I store in subfolders. i personally find my biggest folders are the ones where I store audio books and music. even music in mp3 format can mount up when you've got a lot of it.

I personally only transfer the odd book and some musiconto my laptop which I change occasionally, sine my entire collection is bigger than my laptop's hole hard drive ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-04 17:42:14

hmmm, where do I get the PC tune up thing?

2011-03-05 02:56:23

okay, weird part I've looked all over the place, and all the files I find seem to ad up to about 13 gigs including the windos folder can someone help please?
this is where I looked
program files, 2 GB
documents and settings 4.6 GB
windos 5 GB
so does anyone have any ideas?

2011-03-05 04:27:06

Hello, DD,

Windows creates system restore points whenever you make an important change on your PC. If you install software often, your disk will be occupied by such data that Windows creates for emergency situations.

If your PC works well, then probably you may want to delete all but most system restore points from your computer. To do this follow these steps. Note that this procedure is specifically for Windows 7, and if you're using a different version of Windows, then the things you will should do may vary.

1. Access the start menu, and type 'clean' there.

2. Find the 'Disk Cleanup' thing and launch it.

3. Select the drive you want to clean, and let him do his work. It may take a few minutes, depending your PC's speed.

4. On the next phase, press CTRL+TAB to jump to 'More Options tab of this multipage dialog.

5. Under 'System restore and shadow copies', press 'Cleanup...' button.

6. Press 'Delete' to confirm the deletion of your restore points.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, it was like a technical article. tongue

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-03-05 09:27:28

Hi,
I think use c cleaner. It is free.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-03-07 01:29:57

hi burak. Where can i get c cleaner?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-03-07 04:19:39

Where can I get C cleaner?????I am really interested!

2011-03-07 10:00:36

I actually think ryan uses xp, not 7. Anyway I find hibernation files can also take up a lot of space.
As far as a utility that could give you the info you need, windirstat would probably be your best bet. it is accessible and fast. you first select the drive(s) to scan, then you let it finish. Then you'll have the main window with 2 lists. the first one categorizes usage by extension. So it will tell you, for instance, that mp3 files are taking up 60% of your space and that they total 12gb or what ever. The second list, which is probably more useful, is actually more of a tree view. It categorizes space usage by directory, with the biggest folders showing up at the very top. you can always hit right arrow on a directory to expand it and see what's taking up the space just in that folder(IE expanding program files to see what programs are using up the most space.) with in the app you have commands like delete, go there with explorer or open command promptt to here, so I think it should do the job

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-03-07 10:11:26

to find the c cleaner, go to
www.google.com
and type c cleaner.
hope this helps.

2011-03-07 15:22:07

Funnily enough avg pc tuneup can do all of these things, including deleting junk files. Go to http://www.grisoft.com/ for a look and search for the tuneup program.

In terms of space, I'd check your my documents folder, sinse lots of programs also store stuf in there, especially if you like to use it to store things like music.

I pernally have separate folders for music ad audio.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-07 17:05:55

hi dark. Avg tune up is a demo version?. If yes, i will use c cleaner or program that pitermach mension. And program that pitermach mension, it's accesible and faster to clean all the disk space.
And pitermach where can i get winderstat?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-03-08 13:52:43

But AVG toon up is a demo. So? I can't download it.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-03-08 17:13:51

Yes, avg pc tuneup is a commercial program, but it's actually rather worth it if you want your pc fixing, sinse it does a lot of very important tasks for you such as defragging disks (which can save you space, speed things up and! keep your hard drive running smoothly), degragging and cleaning your registry, deleting junk files, optimizing your internet speed, sorting out problems at startup and several other tasks as well.

I've actually noticed my pc runs much faster sinse I bought it and installed it,imho the money was worth it.

I used to use C cleaner myself, but I always found cleaning different bits rather difficult sinse I was never certain which catagory of thing was what, where s avg just makes that easier, pluss does many more jobs besides.

Along with the antivirus it's one of the best utility programs I've found.

2011-03-08 18:06:06

I do know nothing about AVG  TuneUp, but if an automated PC maintenance tool is needed, then I highly recommend TuneUp Utilities. Just sayin'. wink

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.