2006-02-02 03:18:12

cool. game.  When I knew you could use a joystick to play I had to have it.  My turn for a couple questions. LOL

First off, does the game only support joysticks with 4 buttons?  I have a game pad with 12 buttons, and it would only let me configure the controls to the up/down/left/right buttons, and the first 4 buttons.  Not a huge deal, just curious...

Second off, what is force feedback supposed to do?  Is that different than the rumble that game pads have?  That'd be really cool for an accessible game to use that feature.  I know in some mainstream racing games, when you crash the controller will shake.  Pretty cool stuff...

2006-02-02 07:57:30

ok, right, but... the timezones are all different. robjoy, you might have posted it and i tried when you weren't on a server. so that's gonna be hard

2006-02-02 15:59:37

hi davy. it's my first post here. well i just have a question. how could you asotiate .ogg files and zip them to this really small setup file? my game is growning bigger and bigger and i'm afraid it's hard for me to upload such a big project... i just started the first level and it's about 40 mb or something... sad

2006-02-02 16:44:01

umm, as far as i know you can only use wavs with direct sound.
Maybe direct show...

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-02 18:49:21

hey, i've had my first multiplay. man, multiplaying is awesome! it's just amazing! hey, robjoy, i connected to your server and was player 4. i won several times, got second even more times, got third once and last once, but that was because i was using a cat, but then a wild one. but it is a stupid cat because it is acting sooo slow.

2006-02-02 19:11:36

Directsound has functions to open wavs but if you are really cool you can write pcm data right to the buffers.  So you would use the functions in vorbisfile.dll or something like that to open a .ogg file and decode it into pcm and then use the WriteBuffer function (I don't know what it is in C) to put that in an IDirectSoundSecondaryBuffer.

Why would you want an old school bus?  It probably has horrible handling and insanely slow acceloration time.  Speaking of hiw come the third car has those things when it's name suggests speed and smallness?

James

2006-02-02 20:07:48

zhtfreak wrote:

cool. game.  When I knew you could use a joystick to play I had to have it.  My turn for a couple questions. LOL

First off, does the game only support joysticks with 4 buttons?  I have a game pad with 12 buttons, and it would only let me configure the controls to the up/down/left/right buttons, and the first 4 buttons.  Not a huge deal, just curious...

Second off, what is force feedback supposed to do?  Is that different than the rumble that game pads have?  That'd be really cool for an accessible game to use that feature.  I know in some mainstream racing games, when you crash the controller will shake.  Pretty cool stuff...

I don't have any experience of rumble, but I know force feedback is directional with variable strength. Simple explanation is that it puts pressure on the controller in different directions and can use different levels of pressure. I've seen force feedback used with very fast switches in direction to effect shaking, or it can be used in a substantial jerk to reflect an impact. I've even heard some sticks let you use the force feedback to let you set the tension for the stick returning to centre.

I could be wrong, but I thought rumble was just a simple vibration pack that shakes the controller.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-02 20:44:29

Parham,
James is right. Using the freely available libraries on vorbis.com you can fill in the DirectSound buffers yourself. Sample C++ code can be found on e.g. http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcartic … show=64067
You probably can get it working in VB aswell.
Zhtfreak, you are right, I limited the game to only using the first four buttons on a joystick. I'll try to add support for more in future games.
Mike, soon we'll release the car format and you'll be able to make your own schoolbus.
Thanks all for the mostly great reactions.
Drive safely!
Davy

2006-02-02 22:23:26

The ogg stuff for C use some very specific stuff for opening files which can't be easily ported to vb so I reccoment VBOgg from atomicmonks.com.  It's really easy to use but does not provide the full flexibility directsound does (it's mainly made for playing music).

James

2006-02-02 22:37:33

Hey, I love it! This would be great quality for commercial audiogame standards, but for freeware ... wow! Very big wow!

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2006-02-02 22:51:32

Davi, you cant imagine what a lot funy times and happy feelings you gave to us with this great game!
I hope that soon everybody will make a cool unique car, an unique track, and a super street adventure!
Best regards:
robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-03 08:24:29 (edited by arjan 2006-02-03 08:25:58)

haha, but you can't use them in multiplay. I've had a lot of fun multiplaying as well. unfortunately, i cannot create a server myself, because i am on a router. perhaps i should make a track with 1000 hairpins at once? that'd be crazy. was just kidding, I'm not even going to do it.

2006-02-03 17:43:12

robjoy is right. funny times we have had. take the horn beeping for example: i waz beeping my horn all the time, before the race had started. and, i finished a race against pc players, and the pc started beeping (the players) at me! and i was last! and, on another race, all the computer controled cars bumped into each other! and on some tracks, i breaked on the hard turns and crashed and couldn't stop laugh9ing! and the hairpin turns as well, <squeeeeeeak> <smash!> and oh my god you have done a wonderfull job, and... listen to this, you will like the way we use horns.
on fc, we descussed confirming. what i mean is someone horned 2 times, another person horned 5 times etc. i had to horn 2 times, i think dog horned 5 times or something. and we all beeped at chaman because we were getting impationt and wanted to start the race... lol!

2006-02-09 07:46:18

i have two suggestions...
the first is, you could create a kind of messaging systems via horns, so that is, for example, two short horns is i am ready to start the race, or whatever.
the second is, which might be a bit harder, to have a list with all the servers available. but that would probably be somewhat harder.

2006-02-09 10:02:43

I agree. This games is awesome. Especially for freeware! Thank you guys so much for such a great game. I hope you weill expand the street adventures or let users create there own. I would love to try out a multiplayer game but I'm not such a good driver yet. (damn student drivers) Thanks again.
bb

2006-02-09 12:40:46 (edited by cx2 2006-02-09 12:46:04)

arjan wrote:

i have two suggestions...
the first is, you could create a kind of messaging systems via horns, so that is, for example, two short horns is i am ready to start the race, or whatever.
the second is, which might be a bit harder, to have a list with all the servers available. but that would probably be somewhat harder.

It would be theoretically possible, but they'd need to set up and maintain a central server and set the game to register servers with it. They'd also probably need to include an option not to register games, in case you want a private game. For a free game though they'd need to pay to keep the server up (most ISPs I know of don't allow you to run a server from your internet connection), and it would take a lot of development work.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying it could... but don't get too upset if it doesn't.

Edit:
Since the mainstream has systems like GameSpy I don't see why we couldn't have a similar system spring up if there were a few more multiplayer audio games. I've heard that game spy has been getting a bit hit and miss lately, but then again a version for the blind probably wouldn't be commercial. It would just need to store logon details for players, and for each game session it would need the host player's name, probably a number identifying the game in question, and anything else deemed necessary. The audio game could look only for games with their number, so if TS2 was 57 it would only fetch games listed as being for game 57.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-09 15:09:19

Hi,

I think the authors of the game simply have to send a message from the game to their website containing the IP of the person who started a multi-user game. That's very easy and you have the list online. That way, you go to the website, look at the list, copy-paste the URL and you're off... we're happy to host such a list if the authors would make the connection to our website smile

Greets,

Richard

2006-02-10 20:57:12

hey, that's a good idea! it's very easy either.
I've got another idea..
It would be cool if computer players could choose your vehicle. that is, they could choose the roadriper, or the monsterturck or whatever. now they just choose any of the four cars. btw, they also never choose motoryclces.

2006-02-11 13:07:55

Hmm, i am thinking about making a topspeed server selector program, just like the original one, just with one difference.
You will able to send your ip to a text file on a server, and with this server selector you can retrieve the list, which you can copy to the ip text box.
Lots of programs to do, lol, but i like this ip way which the ts team did, not like vipgameZones, with the server-dependent games.
The reason against the ip-style games that: You can start a server, without the developer have to host a server.
But there is one thing which is not good if you use it: The list. I mean, if you have a game, which you have to enter the ip or the host for the server, then you cant have a list with the valid ip addresses.
But soon... smile
Best regards,
Robjoy (the unofficial topspeed programmer, lol, jk)

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-11 23:49:50

Hi,
The past week I've been working on the patch and one of the new features is that a server will be able to automatically post itself onto the community site (like Richard described). The reason we didn't implement it sooner, is that we didn't suspect online playing would become so popular. Plus, the website method has some downsides (the list will not be completely reliable). A dedicated server with a lobby system would be better, but too expensive (and harder to implement).
The patch is not yet finished and will need extensive testing before it's released.
Cheers,
Davy

2006-02-12 00:22:15

Hi everyone. I have not run in to any problems with Top Speed so far. I have one question. How do you block the cars when you are playing against the computer or with another player on the internet?

Game Man

2006-02-12 02:25:43

Just like in real life - try to drive around the other guy.  Be daring.

James

2006-02-12 08:44:08

hmm, i usually can hear a bumping sound, and that is when i crash into another car, which prevents me from passing. after that i hear a horn, i guess it's the horn, but I'm not sure.

2006-02-18 23:16:53

Hi Davy. I have a suggestion. Maybe in a later version of Top Speed, you could put some music for when a player is driving.

Game Man

2006-02-19 07:58:56

lol, you could always put the horn as a music track and keep honking it until you crash, it's like the radio is on and when you crash it emidietly stops. lol