2009-11-30 02:02:13

As the subject says. I think that a valance between qality and stability are needed. For example, the Loquendo voices have hig qality, but are very unstable when using with JAWS and the Nuance and Espeak voices are stable but the qality is a little low.
Taking this in care and based on my experiense, i think that the best engine are the Infobox of Acapela Group. I use this in SAPI5, but i think that using the SAPI4 the stability and the qality is the same.
What is your opinion?

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2009-11-30 03:11:46

sapi4 and sapi5 both suck using jaws. I use eloquence. work well on text aloud though; I use neospeech.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2009-11-30 03:33:38

I only really make use of SAPI voices in games which use them, or with NVDA as my backup screen reader in ccase Jaws goes wonky. In that regard I normally use Realspeak voices I got with Jaws 9, which aren't locked to Jaws only luckily.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-30 04:09:53

OK. To convert text to audio, i use DSpeech rater than Text Aloud. For more information and download this portable, freeware, useful, complete and multi-language support (English by default) program and additional language pack to translate the interface, visit
http://dimio.altervista.org/

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2009-11-30 04:14:54

cx2 wrote:

I only really make use of SAPI voices in games which use them, or with NVDA as my backup screen reader in ccase Jaws goes wonky. In that regard I normally use Realspeak voices I got with Jaws 9, which aren't locked to Jaws only luckily.

Well, i also sometimes use NVDA when JAWS don't work and after format the HD.
I don't know much the qality of Nuance Realspeak English voices, but in general, the Nuance Realspeak Spanish voice aren't very good. Only Mónica and Diego voice are good in case of Nuance Spanish voices.

2009-11-30 04:48:13

to me, Isabel and Paulina are also nice, although you are the native speaker smile

Feel free to add me.

2009-11-30 05:03:32

Yes, Paulina is good. Isabel is good on Symbian Phones as the Nokia 6681, but in the PC...

2009-11-30 05:53:59

What are good voices for Argentinian spanish? I notice you use a certain voice for all your translations (in my oppinion a human voice would be better). What voice is that?

Feel free to add me.

2009-11-30 06:58:56

I use only SAPI when needed (games, NVDA, etc.). Eloquance is the best ! Others are too slow or too low quality... responsiveness is important I think.

To convert text to sound files, I use DSpeech, but it happens not so often.

The french voices from Acapella are excellent quality, but the english ones are better...

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2009-11-30 08:49:48

Regarding UK English, Emilie iss fine on my phone but not good on my PC too. Daniel is okay but doesn't really work for me, I usually end up using the female Australian English voice if pushed. That said Cepstral Millie isn't too bad either.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-30 13:02:46

I do not obviously use Jaws, ---- but stil I have voice preferences.

Personally, I really like orphius. I've always found it both the best compromise in responsiveness and clarity, ---- at least with it's human voices.

Sadly now, Dolphin ship Hal with a proprietory realspeak daniel, the eloquence male voice, and only the synthetic dave and synthetic andy voices for orphius, ---- when I questioned them they said people prefferd these to the more human orphius voices (god knows why!).

Luckily, the human orphius voices including Alan can stil be downloaded from Dolphin.

I've also got Carol, --- the female uk voice, and brad and lucy, the Americans.

for some reason though I'm always much more a fan of male synths than female, ---- not sure why. I certainly have no similar preference in human readers for audiobooks or the like, ---- but something in hereing a lady's voice with bad intonation gets on my nerves.

for Sapi, Orphius always has rate problems, so I have got Realspeak daniel to run in sapi games which works very well indeed. I have heard good voices from various other synths, --- -but to be honest as I've got Daniel already, I'm always a bit too much of a cheap skate to shell out for them, ---- lol!

I personally find eloquence far too robotic for my taste, and I'm not a fan of it's intonation when speaking Uk english, ---- though it seems responsive enough with Hal when i tried it.

This is though I think very much more a personal preference thing than anything else.

If people want to here Orphius Alan, ---- it's the one I've used in my podcasts.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-12-02 06:04:40

Well.
Loquendo have a Argentinian voice called Diego. But for my translations i use a Latin American (was from Colombia but now is a Latin American voice) called Carlos. This voice is similar to radios, news programs, etc. I also use this voice on my PowerPoint presentations to record the main text to be pronounced wile is showed on the screen.

Now i will make a question for the users that speak a native language not included by default in program as JAWS (for example Chinese, Suedish, Polish, Zech, etc).
How work you with programs and JAWS until you install a stable and good SAPI voice? for example the first steps: How you read the JAWS Installer? the Windows Narrator speak English and i think that exist, for example, a JAWS Polish version including English and Polish and all Eloquence languages.

2009-12-02 11:10:38

Jaws doesn't come with these languages avialable by default, ----- ouch!

I can have Hal speaking in a hole bunch of languages including check, ---- welsh, malay, manderin or cantonese Chinese and indeed either castilian or Latin american spanish in one keypress, sinse all these languages are supported by default, and come with appropriate standard orphius voices, ---- not always good ones, but good enough to be understandable at least.

I actually once had an amusing error when I by mistake set Hal to speak danish, ---- and couldn't find the hot key to get it back into English (I know now it was ctrl period), ---- luckily the control panel for Hal remained in the english language though the on screen reading language had changed, ---- so I was able to fix this.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-12-02 20:48:03

for example the first steps: How you read the JAWS Installer? the Windows Narrator speak English and i think that exist, for example, a JAWS Polish version including English and Polish and all Eloquence languages.

This is not my case, but I think that you can use NVDA to install jaws... NVDA is very good but only when jaws is not working

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2009-12-02 21:08:44

Despite being a native English speaker I can second the thought about NVDA for setting your system up. The screen reading functionality will be the same whichever language it is set to, and I got the impression it has a fair choice of languages available.

cx2
-----

2009-12-02 21:11:14

Well, JAWS also let change the read language or the program language.
Hal is interesting, but i never has tested it. I want to know a thing to test this program.
There are Spanish versions that not only include the Spanish sintecicer? my idea is have a translated user interface, help and messages, as in JAWS, program translated to Spanish by ONCE CIDAT.

2009-12-02 21:16:45

I have NVDA and are wonderful the languages, all included in one paqaje.
The internet support in this program was not good, but now is bether than other versions. The only problem is that this program haven't support for Windows Live Messenger or older versions or Windows Messenger, and the "scripts" (app modules in NVDA) requires much tools and programming experiense.

2009-12-03 03:49:29

fergregoire:
First the edit link is your friend wink
Second I've used NVDA with MSN before but haven't tried it with recent versions, it was able to read incoming messages adequately.

cx2
-----

2009-12-03 05:11:57

What?NVDA read the incoming messages automatically in older MSN Messenger versions? in Windows Live Messenger this don't hapend, the message history must be read manually.

2009-12-03 15:12:02

As to Hal, you can certainly change both the on screen, control and read language separately, ---- as well as use a self voicing installer in various languages.

I'm not certain whether altering the language for the control panel also alters the controls themselves and lables them in that language (for obvious reasons I'd rather not try messing around with this), or whether you have to download a version with controls labled in a given language from dolphin.

it is certain though that Hal's multi language support is very much there (another possible reason why Hal is used a lot more in Europe than America), and if you just poke around on http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/ information on how this works should be fairly prominantly available.

2009-12-03 15:50:38

That was my experience with a previous version of NVDA with some version of MSN, not sure which. Maybe it was windows messenger rather than windows live I don't recall.

Dark:
Thought they changed their site to yourdolphin.com a while back?

cx2
-----

2009-12-03 23:25:33

Well possibly, I'm not sure. I know though that's the dolphin address I have in my favourites, ---- and that one is stil very much active, sinse it's where I read about new Hal versions and where I downloaded the orphius human voices from.

2009-12-18 03:31:10

How work you with programs and JAWS until you install a stable and good SAPI voice? for example the first steps: How you read the JAWS Installer? the Windows
Narrator speak English and i think that exist, for example, a JAWS Polish version including English and Polish and all Eloquence languages.

You wouldn't know it, but my native language is chinese. Speaking to other chinese I would say that they all have "chinese jaws". Since they live in China, they have a version with a chinese installer (never used it).

also:
Well.
Loquendo have a Argentinian voice called Diego. But for my translations i use a Latin American (was from Colombia but now is a Latin American voice) called
Carlos. This voice is similar to radios, news programs, etc. I also use this voice on my PowerPoint presentations to record the main text to be pronounced
wile is showed on the screen.

Where can I get Carlos?

Feel free to add me.