2009-10-30 18:23:51 (edited by aaron 2009-10-30 18:26:09)

Hi all,
So this problem has actually been here for quite a while, but it isonly now that I ever thought to post here. Here's the problem.
So, you know in super liam with the jumps? well, I can't jump over the sewers by tapping rapidly. It doesn't respond to all of my right arrow keypresses.
I cleaned the thing off today with sited help, and still no luck. It turns out that if the right arrow is pressed very rapidly, this goes for everywhere, not just in games, the thing only recognised 5 keypresses of the out of about 10 presses in rapid succession. Does this mean  I need a new keyboard? Also, how do I find out what type of keyboard it is? it might be a general problem and perhaps a cheaply made keyboard.

2009-10-30 19:39:46

Hi aaron.

First off, cheque in the control panel of windows under accessibility, and make certain nothing like "Ignore repeated key presses" is set to on.

You might have turned this on by accident yourself, as the short cut to do it is I believe tap shift five times, ---- obviously if your playing games, disabling such short cuts is also a good idea.

Also check what your key repeat rate is set to as well, just in case it's got turned down by mistake.

If it's not those, then it might be a hardware issue. If it's a wireless keyboard, check the batteries. Lack of responsiveness is a major sign of low batteries in a wireless keyboard.

I certainly have to change mine every couple of months or so.

If it's not a wireless keyboard, or if the batteries are fine, then, ---- as you've cleaned the keys, it's possibly just wearing out.

My own faithful wireless keyboard did something similar after about five years of constant use, and when determining it wasn't the batteries or anything else, ---- I just had to get another one.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-30 21:30:24

Looks like i'l need a new keyboard then. tried repeat delay and the others, and if i press very rapidly, and it's only on one key, it's only the right arrow that does it. it still doesn't really respond. it does, but again, now and then, it doesn't respond. it might respond 5 times, but then if i press it it might not respond, and that non responsive press causes the character to die, in the case of jumping over a sewer in super liam.

2009-10-31 14:13:43

Ah Aaron.

In that case I'd certainly agree it's a new keyboard you need.

I can strongly recommend wireless ones, as they allow you to sit anywhere, and stil use a desktop, ---- though make certain you don't get one which is too stupid and requires channel setting and the like.

I originally bought one which did by mistake, ---- and after the batteries went the first time,  I couldn't reset it at all, ---- I had to get a more bog standard one, ---- which worked much better.

also, avoid tiny ergonomic ones if you can. there's a current fashion to miniturize  everything, ---- including keyboards, and make all the keys virtually the same!

I borrowed one such keyboard from a friend after mine initially broke, ---- and it was fairly horrific to find a desk top keyboard that had fewer, and smaller keys than my laptop!

It even only had one control key, ---- which made using Hal short cuts a regular nightmare!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-31 21:33:08

Thanks dark for the help. I'll be on the look out, perhaps save up for one after christmas.

2009-11-01 01:11:17

Well, a decent wireless keyboard shouldn't set you back any more than fifteen or twenty quid, ---- thirty at the outside, --- - particularly if you avoid the flashy ones that do stupid things like have in built short cut keys to launch word, outlook express and run media players.

These are imho a major waste of money sinse any fool who knoes how to create short cut keys can do as much for nothing, ---- pluss, as I said, they can be a real pest if they are stupidly complex to set up.

I'd personally recommend a very symple, but effective wirless keyboard.

i get loads of fun out of mine, ---- lying on my sofa six foot away from my desktop playing audio games on my headphones with the long cable, ---- or being able to control reading of documents or playing of audio while wandering my flat, ---- it even works in the kitchin while I'm cooking or washing up.

2009-11-01 20:55:26

I'll probably go with a wired keyboard, as the study I'm in is rather small, and I don't have wireless headphones. The keyboard I have at the moment is wireless, from what I can feel. The cable's sticking out of the back, which is kind of funny for some reason, I don't know why though, it just makes me laugh a little.

2009-11-02 07:05:58

Well one thing to watch with "wireless" is whether things are infra red (IR) or radio frequency (RF). RF will go through walls, IR won't. That said RF will only go through so much wall.

I've often noticed that IR devices are called "cordless" rather than wireless, but this isn't always the case. There are enough that break the convention to make it important to check which you're looking at.

Just in case you ever do decide to go wireless in the future.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-02 09:58:28

funny Cx2, both of my keyboards have been both Ir, and had a working range of about 12 feet, ---- including through my kitchin door. They've also both been sold as "wireless" as well.

As to wireless headphones, that's been a less successful experiment I must admit, sinse the only pair I have take time to set up and an extra plug, ---- and sinse my sanheisar headphones have an 8 foot cable, there really isn't too much space issue, ---- though a set of wireless headphones migt be useful for me when hoovering (my most hated cleaning activity because it's so noisey).

odds are aaron that if your present keyboard has cables, it's probably not wireless.

Even if your in a small room I'd stil personally advise a wireless keyboard for symple comfort, ---- afterall, if your visually impared you don't exactly need to sit bang in front of a desktop using the screen, ---- it's up to you though.

2009-11-02 18:48:08

Lol, the wireless thing was a typo now that I looked at it. My bad. Well, I dunno, I just sit at the computer, plus, I don't think my headset will reach any further than this room which is a shame. I always find it fun to get my phone out, go into the lounge and just browse the net wirelessly. That's the true power of wireless. Never got to experience it with a desktop yet.

2009-11-02 19:50:22

Okay, well a lot of this is personal preference and available gear. I will say though that it's rather deckidant, ---- andrelaxing to do exactly what I'm doing now, lie on my very comfortable setae, ---- flat on my back, about six foot away from my desktop and be able to brouse the net, ---- write, play games etc.

If i plug in my headphones I can even play complex audio games or listen to audio dramas this way too.

Yes, I am lazy! ;D.

2009-11-02 20:33:44

Personally I always favoured MS Natural keyboards, they cost a bit more for a wired keyboard but I find them quite comfortable. The split down the middle also makes an excellent reference point for finding specific keys since it is essentially in two halves, there is a big area between the G and H keys on a normal kleyboard going all the way up and down to the top of the space which contains only the capslock, numlock and scroll lock lights. As you say though, personal preference.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-02 21:27:16

Indeed Cx2. I've seen those keyboards before, ---- and probably because I used laptops for such a long while I wasn't a fan at all, sinse typing with my hands so far apart just felt wrong, ---- and I'm too used for looking for te caps lock etc in the usual place (especially as capslock is used a lot with hal).

I much prefer keys in the standard places myself.

2009-11-03 09:01:19

The keys are in the standard places, caps lock included. The only difference is that there is a break in between the letter keys, which is actually designed so your hands fall at a natural angle. Your hands aren't designed to sit parallel to each other, they naturally fall with a slightly inward angle.

cx2
-----

2009-11-03 11:05:58

It's probably just that I've used laptops for so long, ---- and indeed wrote in braille before that, but touch typing with my hands far apart feels unnatural to me, ----- obviously years of typing and brailling have affected my reflexes differently.

2009-11-03 14:06:15

More likely your muscles are used to the position whereas mine aren't, even though I used normal keyboards for years too before using a natural. Right now I can actually feel the strain of my wrists typing at my laptop, since my natural keyboard has a wonky wire and I haven't got to replacing it yet. This and I'm sat in my living room. Maybe it is the position I'm in too, with my arms close in to my body and my laptop on my lap... funnily enough. Probably one of the few people who actually uses a laptop on their lap with any regularity.

cx2
-----

2009-11-03 17:29:55

Though I'm currently using my wireless desktop keyboard lying down on my setae, ---- I do frequently do the laptop lap business as well, ---- especially on planes or trains, ---- well strictly speaking it's on one of those flip down tables there, ---- but these are virtually on my lap anyway.

As my new large monitor makes putting a keyboard on my desk impossible, if I want to do anything which requires me to use my computer screen and keyboard simultaniously, I also have to perch the wireless keyboard on my lap too.

I probably just have muscles used to it.

I reember the first time I played a game on curser keys, ---- my right wrist was in agony from being squashed against the table for several hours! now, I'm used to it.

Equaly though, I hate console joy pads where you must use your thumb to access most of the buttons or the pad, while your index and middle fingers are round the edge.

though playing consoles for years, that's a knack I've never gotten. I much prefer a full scale, arcade style joystick which I can hold with one hand, and use the seccond on the buttons, --- using my thumb and all fingers to press buttons just as though i was playing a piano.

My capcom arcade sticks for the Snes and mega drive are stil great, ---- and my X arcade stick for the game cube is even better (I'm only sorry they don't do an attachment to plug it into older consoles).

to imagine these sticks (especially the x arcade one), literally imagine chopping the controls, ---- buttons, big stick and all, out of an old style beat em up arcade game like streetfighter, final fight or mortal combat.

While I am now well used to playing games with curser keys and keyboard, my ultimate favourite is stil a good big classic style stick, ----- actually, I should get the usb adapter for my X arcade stick really then I could use it on audio games etc.