2009-10-16 20:26:23

I've never been a huge book fan, but I thought since I had tried Storm Front through audible I'd share. It was my first test of audible, the book is the first of the Dresden Files novels. Sadly they only have the first four, but it was very much worth it I felt.

The premise is that Harry Dresden is a practicing wizard, he's in the phone book, and the local police sometimes ask for help in weird cases... but never a double murder before. The book begins with him being called in to the scene where a man and a woman were killed in a rather unpleasant manner, during... rather an inopportune moment shall we say. Both are connected to powerful organisations. Either group, both or neither could be the target of the attack.

It was quite a "grown up" book in a good way I found. Aside from the initial murder there was little in the way of shocking gore, even that was just enough to let you know it was bad and the author focused far more on Dresden's reactions than the scene itself so you got the idea without having all the Scott Sigler style detail. Language was present, but relatively mild. The reason I call it "grown up" is that the author seems to be not at all shy about the darker sides of humanity, it just wouldn't further the story any to dwell on them. You get a very good idea that violence and sordid things exist without actually having to be shown them.

The obstacles in the book are a nice mix of the mundane and the magical, though magic does get increasingly important as the story goes on. It doesn't stop guns from occasionally showing up though, Dresden himself carrying a revolver. Technology tends to act up around wizzards, so the choice of a revolver is to keep his backup weapon simple and have less that can go wrong with it.

There is a plot point later on that wasn't foreshadowed that I noticed, and a red herring early on that simply evaporated without any ceremony. It was a good listen though, and there is an occasional sense of humour creeping in just enough to break things up a bit.

It is definitely a good first novel as far as I can tell, the progression seems a little rocky to me despite not being a huge book reader thanks to the dullness I endured at school but as I say it was his first professional novel. I can definitely forgive him this, and would be happy to listen to the sequel in the future.

Hope that someone is interested in this, I've a feeling Dark will read this and I hope that this doesn't turn into another topic where only me and Dark really post. I don't bite.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-10-17 01:35:19

I read all of the Dresden books. Thought they all were awesome. I'd say they do get a bit better, but they're all similar in that Harry ends up with a bunch of different dilemmas at once, sometimes they all fall into place and sometimes there are red herrings as you put it. Overall a great series, definitely worth reading.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2009-10-17 10:00:02

Thanks, nice to see you around here again. My issue with the red herring wasn't that it was there, but that it completely disappeared in a blink.

Ending up with a load of dilemmas at once was sort of interesting though, it definitely didn't feel like he was overdoing it since they were mostly related. I don't want to say too  much about any of these things in case someone decides to read them after looking at this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-10-17 12:01:12

is there a link for this book?
i started reading the falcon banner after that topic which dark posted a little time ago,i don't read books like go and find them,if 2 or more people say that this book is good i go and try them.All the books i've ever read were recomanded to me.smile!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2009-10-17 12:11:18

Well first its commercial, so it isn't free. It's available on the Uk Audible at audible.co.uk, though I imagine it should be available in at least the US one as well. I don't know how many regional audibles there are, but they probably restrict you to the one appropriate for your location. If you're not in the UK try audible.com.

cx2
-----

2009-10-17 14:19:37

ok thanks

Follow me on twitter

2009-10-17 15:37:36

Of course if you're in the US you can try Bookshare. I however am not so don't have that luxury, and from where I'm sitting it definitely seems like a very luxurious thing to have access to.

cx2
-----

2009-10-17 19:10:21

I'm nor from USA,nither from UK.So will try that site

Follow me on twitter

2009-10-17 19:19:52

think i'l read this, i could use a good book right about now

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2009-10-17 22:25:10

just finnished the first book, and it was pretty good. I have 9 books so i'l probably read the next book tomoro

2009-10-21 12:15:12

Don't lie Cx2, you do bight! but people can spare just a litle tiny amount of blood can't they?

I haven't read any of this series, ---- or indeed heard of them. I'll look into it, but I'm always slightly suspicious about paying real world actual money for books which I'm not certain i will reread multiple times, ---- of course, if I was able to read printed books which I could get for comparatively cheep prices this might be different. How much was audible.co.uk/

Also, was it abridged? That's a personal pet hatred of mine, and I think anyone who abridges a book should be abridged themselves, ---- with an axe!

I won't go on my anti government publishing industry capitalist ook access wrant, ---- sinse I'm sure people have heard it before, suffice it to say the situaton in Britain is irritating!

back to the story though, I'll see if I can get it from one of the accessible book libraries, there's a chance (admittedly a small one), that the rnib might have recorded it, ---- though I strongly suspect not.

crime fiction isn't generally my first choice of reading matter, but I'll try most things, ---- and magic is always fun.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-21 15:39:29

Laugh I don't bite, but I do sometimes get violent thoughts to those who don't think I'll admit.

I've checked, the RNIB don't have it sadly. From Audible it was over £20, or for about £8 or so you can get a subscription you can cancel any time and get one book a month at no extra cost. That's the way I went, on the basis I can get other books and so on to try. They do radio stuff too. It was unabridged.

It is as much a supernatural thing as crime, in fact it is more like crime flavoured supernatural than anything. Magic and the supernatural becomes increasingly significant as you go through the book, and at the end it is 90% magic. It just happens that the police caught wind of it too. I didn't specify some of the more interesting points because it'd spoil the plot, lets just say one faction that was threatened by the killings had strong supernatural links.

cx2
-----

2009-10-21 16:43:00

Fair enough, it's just with you talking about cases, police and revolvers it sounded a litle bit cops and robbers to me.

I'll have to check the terms for the audible.co.uk subscription, along with their catalogue, and level of abridgement to see if it'd be worth while or not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-21 16:52:25

No minimum length, which was why I tried it. It is well worth checking their selection though.

True it does sort of start out like a murder story, but as it progresses it just gets more and more magical in nature. As to the revolver, well that's just common sense. He uses it as a backup to his magic.

cx2
-----

2009-10-22 06:15:47

You guys don't have some sort of Bookshare equivalent in the UK? Wow. I don't know what I would do without Bookshare, honestly.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2009-10-22 10:12:50

No mike we don't.

Where as in the Us, government funds and time is put into making literature accessible, ---- and so long as it's in an accessible format the the publishing industry can stick it, in the Uk up until 2005, the government said it wasn't their responsability to make accessible books, ---- it was left up to charities, who had to A, obtain permission from the publishers (most often by having to buy the copywrites), B, raise their own funds for recording etc, and C, have a vague idea of what to record.

I can tell innumerable stories of the Rnib (royal national institute for the blind), recording books in random order, not finishing series, and generally paying no attention to the book requrests or preferences anyone with a visual imparement under the age of 60.

Then of course, there were cases, ---- Steven Kings' dark tower series being one, where the publishers refused to allow any accessible versions to be produced because they wish to produce their own, often abridged, exaubitantly priced audio versions, ---- or were vaguely planning to in the future.

From 2005, the law was changed to permit producton of books in accessible format without the publishers' permission, ---- but the rnib is pretty much stil toeing the line as far as publishers wishes go. Smaller charities such as calibre aren't, but they don't get even a quarter of the donations or support the rnib do, ---- and the rnib I've said, refuse to even notice that there are blind people who aren't eldily, ---- the amount of spam they give out about wanting people to leave donations to them in their wills is insane!

The book situation in this country is pretty bad, ----and it drives me up the wall to tell the truth.

this is also why, while I'm against coppying audio games, I'm quite happy with coppying audio books, ---- afterall it's not like the money grabbing gits at the large publishing houses will miss it.

by the same tocan though, I will fully support, ---- and have donated money to, efforts like podiobooks and lulu.com, wich are fairer to the authors, more accessible, and do not stop me from reading the books I want the way the mainstream publishers do.

2009-10-22 11:33:41

tell you the truth, i just downloaded a torrent with the ebooks. Stuf for the blind in egypt is almost nonexistent.

2009-10-22 11:46:54

I did guess as much when I was out there on holiday earlier this year.

On the pluss side people seemed really friendly, ---- though of course staying in a country for a week doing the tourist bits up the nile gives a bit of a lopsided view I should imagine.

For the explained reasons, I'm considdering going into the hole torrents thing myself.

2009-10-22 11:51:24

Actually Lulu only offer whaat the author or publisher wish to. I know that the publishers of the RPG Earthdawn have had to cease publishing their print books through them because they kept putting the prices up again and again for the print on demand. It just happens that a couple of authors have made their books available in PDF as well, which is more thanks to the author than Lulu.

Luckily the Earthdawn books were available in PDF through other sites. Unfortunately they now have to wait a month before releasing the PDF version after the print book comes out, and they aren't seeming to be too prompt about it so far. The players and GM guides are out in both, but the player and GM companions came out in print a couple months ago but no PDF yet. I don't know if its money grabbing, but I think they just aren't caring about the PDFs much now sadly.

cx2
-----

2009-10-22 14:57:24

i have heard with D&D their not planning to release pdfs of the fourth ed stuff for fear of copywrite and because they want people to buy the print originals, ---- which wouldn't surprise me, the money grabbing gits.

I also recently sent an E-mail to the recent publishers of the reeditions of the fighting fantasy gamebook series, asking if they'd considder selling pdf versions of their stuff, ----- afterall, gamebooks certainly! can bennifit from being on computer with stats keeping programs, dice rollers etc, ---- apart from obviously being available to persons of reduced visability.

Predictably, I've got no response, ---- afterall, why bother about access issues when you can ignore them?

I must admit my faith in the integrity of the publishing industry is severely limited.

2009-10-22 15:42:21

D&D4E *was* released on PDF, I have the PHB myself. They withdrew them however. I was only pointing out that as a print on demand publishing company Lulu is still under the "money grabbing gits" category.

The only issue you might have with Audible is their DRM. Since I'm lucky enough to have a Stream which supports Audible I can have them on there, but others might find... alternative methods of obtaining the books preferable. Personally I'm sort of paranoid about viruses and so on, but that's me.

cx2
-----

2009-11-04 19:18:23

i got to book 6, and it does get alot better later on. Not to say it was bad in the begening

2009-11-05 05:48:54

Good to know. Now only if all the books were more readily available in audio form I'd be happy to read the whole series.

cx2
-----

2009-11-05 14:21:30

is the series complete?

2009-11-05 14:45:13

No idea, I think he is still writing them. Audible only has the first four though I believe.

I don't feel comfortable using... certain methods to acquire audio books for security reasons as much as anything, and I'm not able to use Bookshare being outside of the US so my options are fairly limited.

cx2
-----