2011-09-05 07:27:09 (edited by Kevan 2011-09-05 07:28:34)

I actually love NVDA. I just don't get those freelist moderators, they seem so uptight about Eloquence. It's one thing to tell someone to stop using it, but it's another to yell at them and ban *all* discussion of Eloquence from the list.

2011-09-05 17:38:40

You have to see it from their viewpoint.

First of all, any use of the SAPI4 versions Eloquence is illegal for NVDA, as all versions of SAPI4 Eloquence are only to be used for whatever program they were installed for. Since using Eloquence is illegal, talking about it may bring Nuance's attention to the NVDA list, and thus it might get shut down. As a result of that, NV Access will be put in a negative light.

Second, the use of the Eloquence driver is even more illegal then using SAPI4's Eloquence, as this driver uses code disassembly and/or modification of software, which is expressly forbidden in their terms of agreement/license. This also may put NV Access in a negative light.

Although the moderators seem very harsh regarding the talk of Eloquence, it's certainly understandable. After all, having NV Access and/or NVDA shut down would be quite detrimental for the blind community, especially for those in third-world countries.

I'm not even sure why I bother to explain this, as you all already know this, but still wish to complain anyways. I may even consider taking this post out at some point.

2011-09-05 20:14:38

Twynn92 I completely support your statement. Given how quickly companies resort to lawyers these days it would be potentially dangerous for them.

It may also harm any chances NV Access has of negotiating a legitimate licensing agreement with ETI. Even if individuals are happy to use Eloquence not all are willing to do so, plus organisations such as businesses or colleges are often checked for illegal software. I know the college I went to in the UK at least had auditors come in every so often.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-09-17 22:21:53 (edited by Kevan 2011-09-17 22:22:24)

Good point, guys. Thanks for explaining it.

2011-09-18 01:34:32

hello

in the first post there was a mention of 36 voices where can i find them on nvda?  thanks

2011-10-02 13:49:50

Anthony, you probably mean eSpeak. It's the built-in synthesizer for NVDA and it's selected as the active synthesizer by default.

2011-10-11 18:51:31 (edited by Kevan 2012-05-25 06:17:25)

And, for anyone wanting to keep up with this driver's updates, the topic seems to have been moved to a new location.
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=5356