2009-08-16 11:47:23

Alright, here we go, with no homepage working.
Othello, from moralMike.

I like to sleep.

2009-08-16 15:26:41

Hmm, the entry is pretty much blank right now due to a glitch int he database. Was there a home page link when you posted this? Have you any info on the game?

I also hardly think this counts as "broken links galore", this is just one game.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-16 20:39:46

And also, bkm number guess, Cyberland Sound Escape, cinderella, hansel/gretel. Yes, there was a home page link, but it doesn't work, and for backup, checked on pcs games fantastic windows games page which also had it too. Giftinem gone too, disappeared. Damine Sadler of xSite says he has it but all the links I have found are broke, but both self-destruct and danger city, which were also made by xlGames, still exist. Monsters game has gone under a cloud, no homepage for it IDon't think.

I like to sleep.

2009-08-16 20:51:11

Hanedler und halunken. Starwars Jedi strike. Skybells/clockrun. XWing patrol is down ... So, this IS broken links galore after all, mister!

I like to sleep.

2009-08-16 21:42:10

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the list since you only posted one. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, it's getting late now.

And please, please don't mister me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-17 01:43:07

Sorry man.

I like to sleep.

2009-08-17 19:55:04

The database should be deeply cleaned up one day... a lot of annoying work in perspective, but I think it's necessary from time to time.

P.S. I profite to notice that one of my suggestions to the admin has never got any response.
This one, about showing multiplayer capabilities of games.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2009-08-18 08:38:59

That would be a good idea. Maybe it just got missed, I don't know how hard it would be to include.

cx2
-----

2009-08-19 14:06:58

Please remember people, we can't provide links to games that aren't there. Certainly when i first wrote the Moral mike othello entry (the on e that got lost to a data glitch), the game had a home page and was available for download.

Monsters game was certainly around last year sinse I checked the entry myself, ---- it's possible their having a miner website glitch there.

Self destruct and danger city are (as it says on their entry pages), being hosted by X site interactive, --- though the other xl games are not, the same goes for the fairy tale titles produced by code factory.

Some entries on the database exist because pages were written for games in developement which never actually materialized, ---- Heandler and halunken, Starwars Jedi strike and I believe Clock tower for example. In updating the database more recently, I've been focusing on games which actually have something playable going, so as to avoid this problem, ---- but I'm loathed to just delete stuff without say so from Richard and Sander on that front.

also remember, there isn't exactly an army of mods at work here, ---- just myself, Cx2, and Richard and Sander when they can spare a minute from their other game access work, ---- Cx2 and I also have lives to live as well (right now I'm sitting in a pub on a laptop betwene performances).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-19 19:13:40

It might also be worth retaining entries for abandonware games, both for posterity and in the event someone gains permission to host them.

cx2
-----

2009-08-20 14:06:32

Perhaps the abandonware catagory should be split into "abandonware" ie, stil available, and "Abandoned" ie, no longer being developed or completely unavailable anywhere.

that would distinguish games like Self-destruct which are abandonware but stil around, from games like the code factory fairy tale ones which are no longer available at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-20 14:31:19

Yes, that would b nice.

I like to sleep.

2009-08-20 15:49:49

Perhaps something like "out of production"? Might sound funny for free games though.

cx2
-----

2009-08-21 15:29:16

Out of developement would fit, but is imho slightly wordy for a status message, ---- maybe something one word long would be a good plan, ---- such as developement suspended or abandoned.

Hopefully when i get back from this festival next week i'll be able to do something more on the database as well as post a few news items I know about.

2009-11-22 00:08:58

what about x - wing patrol?