2009-08-06 21:10:39

hello,

I would like to completely turn off my display for my dell inspiron 1545 laptop. I want to do this as i use jaws and do not use the screen. I would like to save battery and be able to turn the display on and off by using a simple keystroke if thac can be done.
If anyone knows a solution please tell me know as the battery life on my laptop isn't the best.

Thanks

2009-08-07 00:02:41

The only way i know is to disable it at the control panel.

I live to crochet!

2009-08-07 14:09:08

There is a shortcut but I don't recall it, it varies for every manufacturer and even the same manufacturer will still sometimes change it. You will need to find the manual for your laptop on the Dell site, though I suspect my inspiron 1520 doesn't allow you to do this unless you have another monitor attached. I have seen something that tricks your laptop into thinking it has a monitor attached though. The shortcut in question is for switching between built in and external displays.

I haven't seen anything for turning off display in the control panel anywhere, the nearest I've seen is to turn the monitor off if the system has been idle. If there is one though pleaase let us know where since it would be quite useful.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-07 14:42:50

i have msi vr601. how to turn off this? i have:
fn+f2: switch beetween multiple monitors.
fn+f3: disable touchpad.
fn+f4 decrease screen brightness.
fn+f5: increase screen brightness.
fn+f6: enable/disable build-in webcam.
fn+f7: decrease volume of sound.
fn+f8: increase sound volume.
fn+f9: mute sounds
fn+f10: something with battery dont know,
fn+f11: enable/disable: blootooth, wifi.
fn+f12: go to standby mode.
So? how to turn off this screen thanks.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2009-08-07 15:22:44

That's actually something I'd like to do with my laptop myself, ---- in fact when on my pc, I frequently turn off the monitor when I'm not actually using it for anything, ---- say when I'm just reading stuff with Hal.

I've no idea how to do it on my toshiba either though I'm afraid.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-07 17:25:05

I don't think all laptops let you just disable it, though I believe some do. I suppose the designers didn't see why anyone would want to. That said if you can find one of those gadgets and plug it in then you can use the switch multiple monitors key, since it thinks the gizmo is an additionall monitor it will let you do it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-08 10:30:51

how about decreasing the brightness to 0?
I really need to find my manual for my notebook. I know there is a fn plus something to control things since I disabled the touchpad and sound a few times but I don't exactly know what it is.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-08-08 11:19:59

Most of the times I've seen "decrease brightness" it doesn't actually decrease down to th point where the monitor is absolutely off.

Actually, sinse brightness controls are simply a variable resister in the wiring, electronically it'll do no practical good for saving batteries.

One thing my laptop does (which you can control in power savings), is shut off the screen when there is no screen change. It doesn't actually go into stand by so long as there's some process running, but the screen does go dark. This is handy when i'm reading a long document with Hal for example (though you have to disable screen refresh for it to work).

thus far though, this is the closest I've got to physically disabling the screen itself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-08 11:24:52

Actually the manual for my Dell advised that reducing the brightness can extend battery life. Obviously being able to entirely turn it off would be better though.

cx2
-----

2009-08-08 13:08:19

Monitor Power

This program was first released on Friday, July 20, 2007 as version 0.1.
The current version was released on Saturday, July 19, 2008 as 0.5.
Code from a script was taken from the autoit forms and was modified to
fit this program's purpose.
This program will turn off your monitor once it is run, and will turn
your monitor on when it is shut down.
The priority of the program is automatically set to low, and it will
loop every fifty milliseconds instead of ten, in an attempt to reduce
some of the lag that some users have been experiencing..
Notes:
This program adds no values to your registry.
This program has no installer of any kind, and may be run from any
location on your computer, or from a remote location that is not on your
system.
This program was designed to save power on laptops which do not have the
option to turn off the screen, preferably, my own.
This program will most likely not work on Windows Vista, and seems to
lag on some computer systems.
You can attempt to speed up your computers performence while the program
is running, and your computer's performence in general, by doing the
following:
Please note, in order to perform these steps, you must be an
administrator, and running Windows XP Home or Professional, because I
don't know how to perform these steps on other operating systems.
1. Press Win+Pause, or click system from the control pannel.
2. In the system dialog, click the advanced tab.
3. Click performence settings.
4. Click the radio button that says, "Adjust for best performence" then
click the Ok button.
5. Click Ok again.

Features:
    1 Ability to keep your monitor deactivated in order to save power
    2 Hotkey support Hotkeys will turn your monitor on or off.
WIN+F2 will activate your monitor.
WIN+F3 will deactivate your monitor.
Asending beeps will alert you that the monitor is active.
Descending beeps will alert you the monitor is deactivated.
3 The status of your monitor's power will be shown in the system
tray.
If your monitor is on, you will see
Monitor Power - Monitor On
    4 Help baloons will tell you if your monitor is on or off.
This is helpful for screen readers.

Features to be Added
    1 Exit hotkey
A hotkey will be added to kill the program.
                       Download the program here.
HTTP://vrnw.dyndns.org/Downloads/MonitorPower.exe

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2009-08-08 13:17:01

Dark, do you happen to own a Toshiba Tecra series notebook? If so, I hereby declare you a lucky bastard. I own one (the Toshiba Tecra M10-16A), and am using Fn+F5 to switch monitors. Multiple presses may be required for this.

2009-08-08 15:56:42

DRG, that link doesn't work for me. It can't find the location, is the link broken?

Ducktail, hmm interesting. Do the toshiba laptops still have the windows key in a funny place up in the top left? Some of the old ones my college had were arranged like that. If not then I might consider them if I ever need to upgrade, though sadly/luckily not yet.

cx2
-----

2009-08-08 16:22:40

i tried uploading it to sendspace,see if it works.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k3bzx5
HTH

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2009-08-08 18:23:19

Downloaded fine there, thanks.

cx2
-----

2009-08-10 11:48:17

No, i do not have a toshiba netbook. This is a two year old toshiba laptop running xp.

Apart from it's rather tiny 36 gb harddrive, it serves my needs well enough and runs all the programs I want it to.

it is somewhat larger than a netbook, but that doesn't bother me in the least, ---- and Cx2, the windows key is exactly where it should be, bottom left of the keyboard, --- I actually expect that was an odd model, sinse all the toshibas I've seen going right back to the one i had at secondary school. when i was 13 had the windows key in the correct place.

thanks for the program, i'll give it a try.

2009-08-10 12:01:01

Dark, he said note book not netbook. That's another term for a laptop. Thanks for the update regarding the windows key, I do wonder how they got one like that. Then again maybe it was something they did with their business models at the time, or something like that. It was of very good build quality though.

Incidentally I did indeed find the utility to create an absurd amount of lag, but thanks for the effort anyway.

cx2
-----

2009-08-10 13:18:15

That's why i've always had toshiba laptops, they last years and are very sturdy and reliable, ---- not like the Acer I once tried which seemed to have a hardware break down every other week.

My brother's got a Toshiba which is eight years old and stil running fine, ---- though it needs a fan replacement sinse it's moderately prone to over heating, ---- lol!

Mind you, that's nothing compared to some I've heard, i remember one story of a bbc micro which was dropped from a third floor window onto a concrete driveway and stil worked, ---- and my own Snes is roughly 18 years old and is also in full working order.

For true terror, i do own an original gameboy game, ---- Kirby's dreamland, which was bought out and manufactured in 1986 and very much stil works fine, ---- that's probably older than half of the members here, lol!

2009-08-10 13:26:02

lol that story about the BBC is indeed scary.

If your brother's laptop hasn't had a new battery then it's probably pretending to be a desktop, right? If this is the case then maybe a cooling stand might be an easier choice, unless he doesn't mind opening it up to replace the fan himself. Then again not so handy for on the move.

cx2
-----

2009-08-11 11:40:00

Well my mum's using it on a cooling stand at the moment, my brother has a snazzy new netbook for his own needs.

My own old laptop is 6 years old, but due to very extensive daly use is even more prone to over heating, ---- lol!

2009-08-11 11:59:17

That's unusual because my mother had been using my old Sony laptop from when I received my DSA for some time, which I got in the region of christmas 2002. The only real problem it had involved the wireless card thata was plugged in the PCMCIA slot, and that she didn't think was worth trying a new one in. It didn't have any real overheating problems, and aside from the battery it ran as well as when I got it.

cx2
-----

2009-08-11 13:04:44

I always got the Satellite Pro notebook series that Toshiba has from my assistive technology company thing. But recently I decided to buy a Tecra, as these are more powerful and intended to last long. You can easily open it up and clean the fan if it gets too dusty. There's also a nifty cooling performance utility, which tests the fan. It is not the smallest 14-inch notebook I've ever seen, but it indeed feels solid enough.

2009-08-12 12:36:46

well, I put it down to the amount of time my laptop was on, ---- at least four hours each day often more for six years solid, ---- these things don't last forever unfortunately.

the toshiba I've got now is working very well despite being a couple of years old, and I've just bought new batteries which are absolutely great sinse my old one was at the point where it was only lasting about 70 minutes.

Now I've got two spanking new ones though, each of which is doing three and a half hours with ease!

2009-08-12 13:44:42

Two batteries, nice. That said my laptop is maybe a year or two old and it is still getting 4 or 5 hours, got to love those extended batteries.

cx2
-----

2009-08-13 14:11:14

Yep, two batteries, ---- it's something i've been doing ever sinse I was an undergrad, ---- and it certainly has it's uses.

for a start, I no longer have to sit in the uncomfortable chair next to the plug at the back corner of this pub to use the internet,  ----- I now get my own personal sofa next to the bar!

That's worth a battery or two i should say?

2009-08-13 15:49:17

Not sure how, but both laptops I had have had batteries that cost overr

cx2
-----